At San Antonio March 23rd 8:00 PM

Discussion in 'March 2007' started by roscoe36, Mar 21, 2007.

1. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Very disturbing loss. SA has taken it to us twice--opened up big leads twice, out executed us twice. They pulled away on cue. THEY EXECUTE BETTER THAN WE DO. Keep in mind they are using over the hill guys like Horry and Barry. Troubling.

When the other team stops Webber, the offense defaults to the old playbook or to put it another way, to a poor offense. The elite teams will go after Billips and Rip. Expect that. It happened two years ago and it happened last year. No, it is not poor shooting; it is poor offense.

The reason it works is that Tay is not used in the flow. Indeed, there is little passing or flow. Tay is a weapon catching and shooting and catching and driving. His post up game is actually overused and not his best asset. Other teams would use him as a deadly shooter who can also get to the hoop. Notice who actually steps up in big games. Tay. They have trouble stopping him AND focusing on our guards.

Rip couldn't be truly stopped if he stayed to his mid-range game. Somehow, he thinks that he has to drive. Not only does he not finish, he gets banged up. A coach uses his pieces to sharp, deadly precisicion. Not our coach.

Enough of the Sheed three ball. One or two a game.
  2. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Billips. Wow. I can't recognize his game. He was our best shooter. My theory is that they have made him so much into an assist guy that his offensive game has atrophied. WE cannot beat the elite teams with Billips mainly as an assist guy. WE NEED HIS POINTS.

The coach needs to get him some consistent looks, get the ball to come back to him and Chauncey needs to get back to the gym and just shoot.

Murray is for real. Five games is not a fluke. He has actually looked better than Billips. He now knows when he wants to shoot and he can fininsh the drive. He cannot run the offensive sets and get the ball to guys like Billips can though.

Murray has toned his game down and looks more like Billips. Now we need Chauncey to get the offense back and look more like Murray.
  3. Maverick

Maverick First Round Draft Pick

Does anyone here remember when Chauncey was a big threat offensively.. going for 30 points a night consistently in the playoffs... carrying us on his back?

so much for larry brown being a good influence on him.. all he can seem to hit now is the midrange jumper.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I actually enjoyed this game a lot. It felt like the playoffs. Every single player in the game was giving it everything they had on offense and defense.

And the Spurs are good. They have the highest point differential in the league (higher than Dallas and Phoenix even). For a team that plays slow, that is really saying something.

Both Houston and San Antonio play real defense. Of course we have trouble with that. Every team has trouble when they face determined defenders playing in an organized scheme.

OK, so SA shot a higher FG% than us. They shot 50% 3's, while we shot 15% (ouch). They shot 29 free throws to our 18 (ouch). They outrebounded us 46 to 40. So why was this game close? This is a very good sign for us that almost every number can be in their favor and they still almost lose in their building.

And a final note, Flip Murray had 8 assists in 23 minutes. Not a point guard? This was a big game against a great team... and Flip played well. He has restored my confidence in our chances.
  5. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Ta Shawn,

Agree about the good news on Murray.

But SA has now jumped on us twice and whenever the game got close, they put it into overdrive and built a comfortable lead. They played our own style against us and executed better. Twice.

Worrisome is that elite teams take away Billips and Rip. Worrisome is that we help them to do so by how we employ or don't imploy our weapons.

SA is the only team this year that has looked better than us in head to head. (Miami has not played at full strength)

We have to anticipate that elite teams will go after Rip and Chauncey and try and contain Webber. What is our adjustment going to be?
  6. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Maverick,

Exactly. Chauncey was a unique point guard because he could score. If he doesn't score, he is not great with quickness, etc.

A coach needs to size up who he has and use that to destroy the other team.

Murray has looked good because he is doing the things offensively that Billips used to do.

We need the real Chauncey back.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

San Antonio may not make it out of the West. So, in that case, no adjustments necessary.

And just because they have beaten us twice doesn't mean that they will beat us in a series. Tonight's game could have easily gone in our favor without any adjustments. Bowen has always played Rip tough. That is why I always fear SA. And let's give CB a break until he proves that he is back from his injury.

We don't have to be the better team to win the Finals.

Right now, I'd put our chances at 75% to get there and 33% to win it once we do. So, total odds are 25%.

Compare that to a team like SA. 33% chance of getting to the Finals and 66% chance of winning when they get there. So, total odds are 22%. I like our odds better at this point.

We all know these Pistons don't do well when they are on top. Why would we want to enter into the Playoffs with Sheed and crew thinking that we are the best team? I love these close losses when our guys gave it their all. That will keep their egos in check and give them something to fight for.
  8. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Speaking of Tayshaun, and mismatches . . . Did we not think he could take Brent Barry?!?!

I'm so sick of the Rip/Chauncey chucking bad shots when things get tough . . .
  9. Mr.Shady

Mr.Shady First Round Draft Pick

I couldn't watch the game so I only can eat from your posts and Nba recap and highlights. I have to go for an English exam to get a degree. This I think is the secoond game I didnt see live this year. Today Mil. Let's concentrate on that.:)
  10. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Positives:

Sheed's first half play
    Dice, Fino and Flip's solid play
    Hung in there on the road when a blowout was on the cards
    Sheeds T (more bench)

Negatives:

Sheed's 2nd half play, including off the dribble 18 footers, garbage 3 bricks
    Rip still in a funk
    Chauncey's shooting
    Webber's D on premiere big men
    Max didn't play. again...
    Sheeds T (still stupid)
  11. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

A win would have been good, but I think I detected just a bit of heart last night - an angry Pistons team who stepped up after running into a buzzsaw. SA came out to play and played hard from the jump. Detroit came out in their usual why-can't-we-be-friends-kum-ba-ya chant and got blown out. But for once, it seemed to really annoy them.

Maybe this will be a wake-up call and we might start seeing some games where they play for the whole 48. Good thing I think is that this was the Spurs A game, and at home, and the Pistons could have just as easily won.

It's easy to see why the refs don't like the Pistons after Billups' last minute throwing himself sideways attempting to draw a foul on a three try. That the replay clearly showed at least a foot of space between him and the defender, he also had to come running down the court with that look complaining all the way. Time to move beyond third grade Chauncey.
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

We fell behind quick. A lot of that was Billups and Rip being injured and not being effective. Not to mention Webber, coming off the flu, was giving us absolutely nothing. For the game, Webber did two things. Miss shots. Poor D. Sure he guarded Elson ok, but what center can't? Webber should have sat the last two games out, it would have helped us greatly.

We did not take a 3 until 2 minutes left in the first half. Sheed made one, probably luck as it caught glass and went in. Bad luck, cause a couple of missed 3's in to open the 3rd quarter by Sheed helped trigger a 7-0 run for SA. Later in the 3rd, a couple of missed 3's by Billups helped SA to a 15-2 run. Threes were are enemy for this game. An enemy we chose to invite to the game.

The bench, thats Delfino, Dyess, and Flip Murray, came all the way back in the 2nd quarter to erase a double digit deficit the starters handed them. Sheed did a lot of good work around the basket in the 2nd quarter. Good D too. Still, I question why Sheed played nearly the entire first half. Jason Maxiell and Dale Davis were over on the bench just sitting there.

Flip Murray had a good game, and got a lot of assists. Still does not make him a point guard. He is a guard who can create his won shot, which often bails him out when he can't do a dang thing with the ball otherwise. Flip did manage to get toward the hoop and dish a few times in this game. A few times. Blalock can do more in two minutes in this regard then a game's worth for Murray. Still, a good game for Murray, and the team did very well with him in the game. One thing he did a lot better than Billups, he did not decide to start jacking up a bunch of threes to hand the game to the other team.

Tay had a so so game. He made an outside shot, a few hooks around the basket. But no rebounding. Maybe a bit lazy on D here and there. Still a good game from him but not as good as he could be with some rest. Tay is not built to be the top minutes guy for a team.

Dyess was pretty awesome. Rebounding, defense, and a lot of scoring. Both his inside game and outside shot were working. One thing this recent spout of adversity has done, brought out the best in Dyess.

Delfino just basically played good solid D. He did have the one steal and drive all the way to the basket, but that was it for his offense. They don't exactly run plays for the guy.

Rip has that nasty bruise on his thigh from a couple of games ago. Still affecting his shot, and his defense. In all, our starters are so banged up that they collectively do not hustle on D when in as a unit. If a guy has a wide open shot, you still got to charge out at him, with the arms up. You got to put some pressure on the shot. The subs do this. If a starter or two is in with 3 subs, they are shamed into doing this. Our starters should be leading the way on this, not following. And just maybe they could hand the bench a lead to keep, not a deficit to claw out of.
  13. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

"Adjustment" . . . wow, what a word so heavy to Flip Sr !
    If he wanted this game, he'd known that CB had been less than 50%, if it's just another regular season game why didn't save him for playoff. The season is already deep, where our benchs are ? Would someone so kind to help me to understand what does this 8/9 roration mean in back to back road games ? What will these great strategy and great tactics benefit both in short and long run of the team.
    IMHO he's kind of either insult his bench or just play his starters to dead to get familiar to his game if he has any. What a star-coat-tail-rider.
    I've not seen any improvement of our team since his arrival, credit to our players who sometimes played like what they once were at best and most of the time they just played by their instinct and experience as if they don't have a coach.
    The looks of faces on our bench always twist my heart.
  14. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

wham! 1st round to spurs
    bam! 2nd round to pistons
    slam! 3rd round to spurs
    pow! 4th round the pistons...
    final..spurs get decision in a great 15 rounder.Iwatched the entire game looking like Mickey in Rocky. Im not a regular season guy anymore, so i just wanted us to man up.
    The difference? 1. Flip will never beat Pop in a game that counts. NEVER!EVER! So lets hope this aint a Finals preview....
    2. Max wouldve have gone 10 and 5 in a game like this. Our coach is a nervous beeyotch and the team knows it.
    3. Rip was 8 for 12, so he shot well. His ability to get open on the curl is the problem. Id sure like to see him come off the bench like Manu. But I dont think Rip has the heart Manu has and I KNOW Flip dont have the guts. Who would I start? Believe it or not -I Hate Him. He looks more confident and it would give us a Dumars-Thomas-Vinnie kind of setup. I mean, we dont start the game thru Rip anyway.
    STARTERS:
    PRINCE
    SHEED
    WEBBER
    BILLUPS
    HATE
    BENCH:
    DYESS
    MAX
    NAZR(even Pop gave him 10 min)
    RIP
    HUNTER
    WILDCARD:
    DELFINO...AS A REplacement for SF, PF ansd SG

This is a good/great team ...ran by a terrible head coach who has no control of his team or decisions.
  15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Some more observations. Sheed goes off for 19 in the first half using short jumpers and inside play. Second half he only has 2 pts and 3 missed 3 ball attempts. Talk about a disappearing act? He thru up a 3 ball brick in crunch time and Genobli who was all but invisible hits one on the other end after the Pistons had pulled to within 3 themselves. Then Rip an 85% FT shooter misses 2 freebies and Timmy a 65% FT calmly sinks his two on the other end which turns out to be winning point (or was the technical FT made earlier in the game due to Sheed's mouth, the winning point):yellowprison:

Popovich uses 12 men to get the victory...Flip limits his to 8 players...Like everyone said, the Brahma could have contributed something here. If CWebb has the flu, get someone in there that is healthy. Heck Nazr played here before, he may have even been able to contribute a rebound or a block.....Tony Parker dazzled the Pistons and no one could stop him.

I just don't understand what the assistant coaches do for this team? Can't they influence this guy to take a chance with this prodigies??

Pistons start off the month 1-3, then go 5-0, then another 1-3. Well I had the Pistons going 11-6 this month. Now they are 7-6 and we can only hope that they can finish off the month with a wnning record. The 10-1 February is a distant memory as is that Coach of the month and player of the month accolades bestowed upon Flip and Billups.
  16. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

To be honest, when it was announced, I was like, have happy ride Flip.
  17. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I am reallygetting sick of the ill-advised 3`s being jacked up by Sheed. I mean they happen in crunch time for crying out loud, right when two points or FT`s would be good.

He has the guts to complain about Flip going small, yet he shoots these 3`s like it`s part of the game plan. What`s even more disturbing is, Flip doesn`t say jack to him about it!!

Is he scared of Sheed or what???...........Jeeez
  18. majestik

majestik First Round Draft Pick

Roscoe, what should Dice's role be in a big game? It seems of late his numbers have been solid both on the offensive and defensive ends. I realise he gives away alot on cheap fouls but his energy more than makes up for this right? Are you suggesting that if Dice has a good game stat wise then that means our top guys arent looking for their own and giving it up to lesser guys like prince and the like...
  19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I'm just saying that if you see Dice start to put up monster #s against a quality opponent, it's time to get worried. His best games seem to come in losses. Just pointing out a trend.

And yeah, if Dice is going off, it means Sheed and CWebb are not.
  20. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

just wanted to relate this to todays game at Milw ...hmmm?! More minutes for Max? Rip off the bench? Delfino as the wild card? ..Its so carzy it JUST MIGHT WORK!!!