At Sacramento November 18th, 9:00 PM

Discussion in 'November 2007' started by Dlev59, Nov 17, 2007.

1. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Yea, Joe has to fix things by FIRE FLIP!!!
  2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Thanks for the recaps folks. I mssed this one attending the Auto Show and some how or another my DVR didn't tape it. Looks like that 5-1 start was fools gold and we need to teach these guys how to play some defense or get some replacements. How did we allow all five teams on this west coast trip to score over 100 points after holding first five back east to under 100? Did the red uniforms suck the defense out of them?? If so please dump those red unis over the rockies on the way home.
  3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Look at the 8 minutes Amir played with the starters in the first quarter. We were about plus 10 there. A lot of that was Amir running the floor, getting under the basket, and forcing Sacramento to address him thru the whole possesion.

As for Amir not shooting. You got to remember, if any of these young guys shoot the ball, it will make the coach mad, and he will yank their minutes. Saunders barely tolerates that they even get playing time.
  4. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Perhaps the Pistons have come down with Defensive Mono.

Infectious Mononucleosis-Topic Overview

Blue text added for emphasis.
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I had mono once. It sucked.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The team seems to be polarized right now. We have 5 amazing vets, Billups, Rip, Tay, Sheed, and Dyess and we have 5 highly talented, but inexperienced younger players, Stuckey, Afflalo, JMax, Amir, and Samb. We have the trade bait, Nazr, Dupree, and Flip, and a player who should retire, Hunter.

Hayes is sort of the only in-between player. He's young, but experienced. Sort of a hired gun for this season only.

So I guess the more I think about it, the more I think we need to create 2 different lines with a mixture of old and new. The "best starting five" in bball seems to have trouble motivating. The new breed doesn't know how to do it on their own yet. When you add Murray or Nazr in with them, it makes it even worse.

It is tough to ask a guy like Rip to come off the bench. It would take some leadership by Saunders to implement a plan like this.

But I guess I would like to see the old and new mixed.

Billups
    Afflalo
    Prince
    Johnson
    Sheed

Stuckey
    Hamilton
    Hayes
    JMax
    Dyess

Flip, Samb, and Nazr could be inserted as needed.

Then have the usual starting 5 finish the games.

I know it will not happen, but I think that someone like Popovich would consider it.
  7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

OK first of all, get off of Flip M. Beno lit us up in the 3rd qtr, Chuancey's qtr. Flip did not even play in the 3rd qtr. Flip played in the 4th and was the only Piston who was even trying to get into the lane. The moment Billups returned we tanked. I played the Point from 1st grade until sophmore year of college, so I watch that position like a hawk, last night this team was better with Flip on the floor. There was alot of bad stuff going on last night but don't gimme none of that Flip M bailout BS, dude played a solid game off the bench in the 2nd half as he deferred to Hayes in the 1st half stint.

Now....This will be my rant all year long...."Bench Rip for AA" not as a demotion, but because the team is better when everyone is involved. We have stars taking on role player roles and that is not good. Rip and Chauncey are starting to play 2 on 5, and every now and then they let Sheed in on the game. Tay has to get his by luck and not design, while Dyess is lucky to touch the ball every 5th time down court. Rip and Chauncey are starting to remind me alot of Mobley and Francis back in the day.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

By the way, if we are planning on trading Flip Murray, then we are doing a great job showcasing him right now. His trade value must be higher than it was over the summer because of his recent play.

I don't want to see an extended benching period before we decide to move him.

I'm also cool with keeping him, cause he is more valuable than Dupree, Hunter, and Nazr to us.
  9. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think we should start showcasing Flip M. in this forum so that all those web-saavy GM's and scouts will want to trade their best players to us for him. Here goes:

Did you see Ronald play last night? Boy, was he on the ball! SURE HOPE JOE DOESN'T TRADE THIS GUY! HE'S THE KIND OF PLAYER WHO WILL WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!!

How was that? :MusicBigGrin:
  10. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    We can't let Flip Jr. go until Stuckey is healthy and integrated in the rotation. If something happens with Chauncey, we have only Tay left to run the point. I don't think he can handle it for the extended period.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I've been doing my best. For some reason, the others keep sabataging my plan.
  12. congoman

congoman First Round Draft Pick

There is something wrong attitudinally with this team. They are not playing the team game. No one is consistently going to the hoop. Not enough passing. Low energy when it requires extra energy. Players deferring to the same old shooters, whether or not they are hitting or not hitting. There is no one we can count on to make a shot when we need one. When Rip and Chauncey are having bad games they still get the crucial shots at the end. Where is the defensive energy?

This team is badly in need of a shake up. Joe, do what you do best.:stirthepot:
  13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

We want Afflalo
    We want Afflalo
    We want Afflalo
    We want Afflalo
    Have we started the AAHOF club yet?? If not I am now appointing myself as President/CEO/Dictator.

In all seriousness, I really believe him starting would help this team. As I mentioned before and will continue to mention Rip & Chauncey have turned into the new Francis & Mobley. I forgot who posted it but I would love to see a starting unit of:
    Sheed
    AJ
    Tay
    AA
    Billups

2nd Unit
    Flip/Stuckey
    Rip
    Hayes
    Maxiel
    Dyess

We could then mix in the best unit at the end of halves.
  14. roscoe36

Co-signed. It's become an unhealthy relationship IMO.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Roscoe, you know as well as anyone that if it ain't rough, it ain't right.
  16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

You do realize that is per the coach? Saunders dictates which players are allowed to shoot. If you don't have the green light, you will not continue playing if you shoot the ball more than maybe twice a game.
  17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Sounds good to me. I am going to post a rotation in the rotations thread that is similar.
  18. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

That's like a pebble trying to hold back a tidal wave.:pound:
    FLIP M + CHAMPIONSHIP = 10 posts (usually includes key words like: won't, never, can't, and not)
    FLIP M + SUCKS = 10,000 hits
  19. roscoe36

I prefer the neurotic, "they are always out to get us, its always a battle" instead of the "we'll play hard when our backs are against the wall".
  20. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

Dare I say it but I think the Pistons are starting to play a really boring style of basketball. They have no fluid motion and to be truthful I don't get as much of a kick out of watching them play like I did for the last few years. Maybe it's because I grit my teeth and grind them down when Nazr and Flip Jr. are in there. I want my old Pistons back where they played determined and sometimes maniacal defense. Joe D. needs to make a few trades and play the young-uns more. No I don't want Kobe Bryant but a trade is always a good thing and no one is expendable. Rip Hamilton is a great complementary player and he's our most valuable trade bait so I would put him on the block first. Stuckey is a more natural 2 guard and when he gets back let him have the spot with Hayes and Affalo backing up our guards. So get-er-done Joe or else this team is going to slide into mediocrity very soon. If Rip is traded then Tay can move up to the 2nd option on scoring and he'll be an all-star this year guaranteed.