At Sacramento Nov. 11th, 10:00 PM

Discussion in 'November 2008' started by Dlev59, Nov 6, 2008.

1. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

Man I hope you are never in charge at improving anything. Things dont always go well when you are trying to make adjustments and improve. We lose a couple games in a row and you are just about ready to jump off ship, very disappointing to see.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Oh man, I have like 100 comebacks for this one.

lpgrl, enjoy the victory. Treat yourself right, and just relax and smile. For one night in Pistonland, it worked out for the good guys.

Peace.
  3. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Not ready to jump ship. It's a win, but you have to admit it was pretty ugly. If anything, this does add more credibility to Lee's theory that Arron=Win, Hermann=suck.
  4. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Alright, finally a win with AI. The first quarter was an absolute nightmare, one of the worst quarters the Pistons have played in the last few seasons. Fortunately, the 2nd was much better, and it was tied at halftime. A shaky third left them down 2, but the Kings offense collapsed in a flurry of turnovers in the 4th.

Tay and AI were the big guns tonight, plus some strong minutes from Bynum and AA. Rip and Sheed were still both stinking it up, for the most part, although Rip got in on the parade to the FT line that was the difference for the Pistons, with Tay, Rip, and AI combining for 27-28 from the line.

Still a lot of shaky ball movement, standing around and relying on stepback Js on big possessions, but the defense definitely picked up when it needed to. Hopefully they can build on that and put together a complete game against the Warriors.
  5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Looks like we need to make Tay option 2 now behind AI.... I think Rip still believes he is option one and his shooting the past two games have been horrible. I still think he needs to come off the bench but I will let, MC , JD and Rip argue that point.

The defense still needs some tweaking while they wait for Dice supposed return. We shouldn't have to score 100 points just to win a game...:frusty:

if Dice signs with someone else then we need to package somebodies to get a another vet stopper. Amir is OK but he is still getting manhandled out there and MC seems to be playing him no more that 20 MPG any way. Max and Kwame are to inconsistent for me to trust them, but it's still early....
  6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Will Bynum is so FRIKKING COOL!!!!!
    Seeing a heavy dose of AA was like a cool glass of water on a hot summer's day.
    MC solved the sub pattern for the 2nd qtr collapses, didn't take a rocket scientist either.
    Started out ugly, put again, this is the closest thing to practice we can get right about now, and if it adds a W, WA-HOOOO!!!!
    I'm listening to MC, he's pretty smart.......he went small so they would go to a post game (not their strength) and surre enough they went away from that penetrating and P&R that was killing us. The help D on the post game was a helluva lot better than the help D on the P&R and Penetration game. Rip played 36 mins, and 18 of them were A-O-K, gues he's halfway over CHauncey.
    Props to Tay tonight. When Dyess comes back, it's gonna be MURDER!!!!
  7. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

That's the only problem that i don't know if there's a resolution for in terms of them playing together. AI looks better at the 2, and if he's not then he needs the ball in his hands 70 % of the time. Rip is not an ISO/off the dribble player; He needs to go back to coming off curls and screens. Might have to break them up. Maybe not in terms of Rip coming off the bench, but when Stuck gets back make it a priority for them to play together more. AI/Tay have developed a nice 1-2 punch for the 1st unit. Rip/Stuckey can for the second.

Also Amir had a bad game, but i didn't like the minutes for the top 4.
  8. max

max All-Star

Started Ugly but it turned out pretty well. AI with 30 points and 9 assists in 45:38 mins. Prince with 26 points and 11 boards in 43:21 mins and he did not look tired. Maybe AI is starting to rub off on him.

NBA.com: Pistons at Kings Boxscore
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

A few years ago, I was treated to the best seats I've ever had a basketball game. Somebody gave me a seat at a Bulls/ Sixers game that was in the front, front row- a folding chair on the sideline at about the 45 yard line. Watching AI from that close was incredible. But the thing that amazed me was that when the game was over, I thought he had about 18 points. It turned out it was like 35 or so.

For some reason, tonight's game reminds me of that. I have no idea how he scored so many points. It didn't seem like he was on fire. Didn't seem like he was ball hogging. I don't remember him getting fouled a ton. He just knows how to score in a variety of ways and it doesn't feel repetetive at all. This is why it's tough to move him to the bench.

However, it still just feels uncomfortable with him and Rip together. If it wasn't for Tay's versatility, it would be total chaos. Tay had a great game tonight. 43 minutes. 26 points (10-10 from the FT line). 11 boards. 2 assists, and 0 turnovers. He bailed us out multiple times low on the shot clock.

And I'm once again impressed by the comfort level of Will Bynum. He doesn't look like a nobody at all. He's calm with the ball up top, but he gets to the rim everytime he wants to without the slightest look of someone who's out of control. Jumper is unimpressive, but he doesn't seem to need it, cause they can't stop him from driving. We were down when he entered the game and he really helped.

Afflalo also had a nice game.
  10. max

max All-Star

lpg - See thats the problem with posting During the game.
  11. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I actually posted that when we down 2 or up 2 in the end 3rd/beg 4th so the score was irrelevant LOL. That game in general was a struggle.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Did anybody else get the Sacramento feed? They need to revamp their broadcast. The crowd volume seemed to almost be muted and there was obviously one fan near the microphone... so it sounded like there was just one person golf clapping when the Kings make a run. On top of that, those boring announcers were just rambling on about nothing.

I didn't have it DVR'd, so maybe I was just frustrated by the real-time pace.
  13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Half the season is going to be a struggle. The biggest concern (post-trade) is AI on defense, he is a HUUUUUUUUGE liability in so many ways. Even if he can guard his man (which tonight he couldn't), it's when he gets caught on switches that is killing us too. When CB got caught on a switch he could guard the 2, but AI.....uuuhh NO!!! Also, our bigs are going to have to step it up, their productivity is abysmal. But I'm loving Tayshaun's consistent agression, I guess he got rid of his alter-ego YKW-Shaun.
  14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Always nice to snap a losing streak, even a short 2 game one. I don't know about AI playing 46 minutes, but I will take the win anyway. Besides, the good news is that Stuckey is checking out ok so we should have him back next game.

AI put up some numbers. 30 and 9 assists, plus about 6 rebounds. A key steal. He hit a few triples, got inside plenty, and hit several midrange shots.

Tay was the hero for the night, statistically, with about 26 points, 11 boards. Tay did it with an assortment of shots, but more outside vs. inside.

Afflalo played a lot in this one. He played starting with a few minutes left in the 1st, and then well into the 2nd quarter. In the 3rd quarter, he came into the game halfway thru the quarter, with Rip sitting. Thats a change. Afflalo made a couple of shots, but more importantly, he brought the perimeter D.

Bynum had a good game. Solid defensively, and drove the ball in nicely a couple of times. Its not as spectacular as watching Stuckey, but the shot gets put in. Still impressive.

Rip shot horribly, starting 1-8, but still managed to score 17 points, about half at the line.

We used 3 guard sets extensively, with Afflalo or Rip playing small forward. It worked as Sacramento almost never managed to overpower us with size.

Game flow. We started out bad. No inside game. Sacramento got a lead, but we seemed to be regrouping. Then halfway thru the first, Curry brings in both Kwame and JMAX for Sheed and Amir. All the sudden, things got even worse. It did not seem that Kwame and JMAX were quite ready to play yet. Sacramento gets a fifteen point lead, scoring 30 in the first quarter.

2nd quarter. This time with Afflalo playing. Gee, we win the quarter. And you think we can't score with the defensive minded Afflalo in the game? We scored plenty, gettting 30 ourselves. We went inside a lot in the 2nd quarter. We saw Kwame and Sheed paired up to start the quarter, and Amir came in for a few minutes later in the quarter.

Kwame got inside some. Nice dunk. But while our announcers were praising him on the offensive end for getting inside, he was not doing that great on D. Still, it is nice to see him contribute toward an inside game for us.

Sheed did not have much of a scoring game, but played good D. Very important.

JMAX did not play that much. He set a pick for AI and got a dunk after rolling to the basket. He got to the line after collecting an offensive bound, and made one of 2. Now, Kwame, Amir, and JMAX all did not play that much. Dyess was traded. Herrmann did not play this game. So who the heck was playing as a big for us? Tay was. He played plenty of power forward in this one.

Afflalo was honored for his good play on D, by being allowed to play the last few minutes of this tight game. It worked. Good call Curry. Question is, should Bynum have been the one to sit? Tough call. But Rip gives us more versatility - more size - on defense. Hey, it worked.

The unit that finished the game was AI, Rip, Afflalo, Tay, Sheed. Bynum though was out there with this group as we got the lead.

Of note, Blaha was picking on one of the officials pretty fiercly as this official seemed to be making every call in sight. Kind of unusual. I'd say the only calls that were really hard to make were when AI, or Beno for them, would create contact on a drive. Both got the benefit of the whistle on those plays. Yeah, we are getting superstar calls. Nice that it is our turn.

I can't really think of any highlights for Amir. The one play where he got the ball back to us was negated by a 3 second call on him, and Curry removed him from the game at that point. But Amir was moving very well out there on defense. That I can tell you. You're open, you blink, and there is Amir in front of you.

Good nite everyone, and GO PISTONS!!!!!
  15. CStheGreat

CStheGreat Second Round Draft Pick

As an Iverson fan, I COMPLETELY agree with you. AI's defense looked like absolute SH*T tonight. He was making Beno Udrih and Salmons look like Kobe Bryant/Jordan. Further, he was the main reason our bigs were getting into foul trouble/giving up easy dunks and layups. He really needs to tighten up his defense and at least try to stay in front of his man. I'm almost embarassed to see him "ruin" this team with his general lethargic attitude on the defensive end.

Watching tonight's game, I couldn't help but draw parallels between this current Pistons squad and the Nuggets of last year. The offense has become more and more "free flowing" (that's sugar-coated for glorified streetball) and the defense has become weaker (although I've noticed the Pistons defense has struggled lately even before the acquisition of AI). Obviously, with the presence of severly underrated players like Tay and hopefully a return of 'Dice, this team is different from the Nuggets. However, I still think it's a valid concern. With Billups...scratch that, without AI, the Kings would not have dropped 92 on us tonight. That's a valid concern that should be on all of our minds when it's April and the playoffs are here. Just a thought.
  16. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Amir, Kwame and Maxiel had about 5 rebounds between them and very few points. This is a problem.

But I will take the win...
  17. permaximum

permaximum Banned - Sent to NBDL

30 points 9 assists 7 rebounds 2 steals in 45:38 mins for Iverson.He just took 19 shots to hit 30...Nearly triple-double performance.

John Salmons is a lot taller than AI but salmons had a terrible game despite AI was guarding him.It means AI's defense was also good.He made some key defensive plays frustrated Kings.

But i don't understand why the hell Rip misses so many shots since AI trade.Is there something wrong with him?Also sheed has to be more focused.I mean he got 7 rebounds AI got 7 rebounds.

Prince was really good.He plays well since the trade.

For tonights game MC coached well.Chemistry is settling.

Now pistons need to win @ GS no matter what. Then if they win @ LA too things will become really good.
  18. CStheGreat

CStheGreat Second Round Draft Pick

I think you're looking at the stats and not the actual game. AI did NOT have a good defensive game by any means. In fact, he was a HUGE defensive liability. Just because Salmons didn't have a great game doesn't mean AI was limiting him! AI also guarded Beno and was getting burned almost every time Beno penetrated. Further, he often gave up on the play, forcing guys like Amir, Sheed, Tay, and others to bring help D and thus their men were open for layups and dunks. Did you watch the entire game?

Offensively, AI did have an impressive game. I think RIP is struggling because 1) Chauncey isn't here to deliver him the ball when he needs it and where he needs it and 2) he is just in a shooting drought. His shot will come but his stats are bound to take a hit now that AI is here and Chauncey is gone.

Tay is without a doubt one of the most underrated players in the league right now. I never realized just how good he was until I actually watched an entire Pistons game. He is a good defender, he's got really long arms, he hustles, and he shoots lights out.

Finally, the 7 boards Sheed got are a lot different than the 7 boards AI got. Sheed fought for most of his (he is a big man after all). Keep that in mind. With that said, Sheed does need to step it up. His shot has been off, similar to Rip. I'm not trying to attack your post, I just want to point out my observations. Again, this is coming from someone who is a HUGE AI fan. Frankly, I wouldn't be following this team right now if AI wasn't on board.
  19. permaximum

permaximum Banned - Sent to NBDL

@CStheGreat

Yeah i actually watched the entire game.What could AI do while guarding Salmons.AI is 6 feet Salmons is 6-6.At the end Salmons had terrible game and couldn't use his size adventage.Tell me what it means?Does it mean AI's D was bad?

Also this quote's from pistons.com;

"Key defensive plays by Iverson and Wallace frustrated the Kings and the Pistons took the lead for good at 88-86 with 7:23 left on two Prince free throws."

So you can see above I'm not the only one who thinks AI's D was good.There are also comments about AI's good D in espn too like pistons.com.

You're telling yourself is an AI fan.I have been watching him since 1996 despite living in Europe (basketball doesn't look like important sport here, there is only soccer).In last 4-5 years i think i just missed 2 or 3 games AI played.So i'm telling you that there is no AI fan who thinks his D was bad this game...Did we watch the same game?

Yeah Sheed's boards are different.But AI got some key boards too despite his height disadvantage unlike Sheed.

Whatever who's the bad guy who's the good guy thing is not important now.I just want Pistons to win like all of you.If AI scores 15 or Prince scores 5 but pistons win i'll definetely take it.
  20. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Since when ldid AI become a good defensive player? If it wasn't for hi 30 we would have lost. Hee is and never will do very much on D but get a few steals. If anyone is expecting too much more they will be very unhappy.