1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

at Sacramento Kings Tuesday February 23 10:00 pm

Discussion in 'February 2010' started by roscoe36, Nov 3, 2009.

1. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Well it's halftime.......
    IMO Rodney Stuckey just played his PG game (well at least half) to date. He's really getting it done, now if he can bottle this.......he'll make a liar out of me.
    • He's playing agressive yet under control.
    • Taking what the defense gives him
    • Finding the hot hand (Tayshaun)
    • Running the offense
    • Controlling the tempo
    WHEW!!!!! I AM IMPRESSED!!!!

2. Brap

Brap Starter

Stuckey's playing excellent BB, as you said. When his TEAM is healthy and in sync, he sure seems like a PG to my eyes. Very encouraging for the future. If he can be a top PG (one of the best ones), then we've got a guy who'll just kill most every other PG physically - a huge advantage for the Pistons.

3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Strange game...Pistons blow a 14 pt lead in the first qtr and finish the qtr up by 3. Then they lead at the half by 12....and then bust it open to 30 point lead in the 3rd and then had to hang on to win the game.??

That's right folks..after out scoring the Kings 29-16 in the third, they allowed Tyreke Evans to score at will or find the open man in the 4th so that coach K had to bring his starters back in. Those guys should have been resting on the bench for tomorrows game. But JJ went down right before the end of the third and when the Pistons open the 4th with Gordon, CV, Daye and Bynum, and Max and the Kings ran off 9 straight points. Daye and Bynum were pulled and Prince and Stuckey had to come in to temporarily stop the bleeding.

Will Bynum was the Kings catalyst as they seem to score whenever he was in the game. He and Max both finished with a -18.

Tay and Rip looked like they were still playing in the 04 finals and scoring at will. Tay scored 22 pts and Rip scored 30. One more bucket by Rip and they both would have scored their uniform numbers.

As I mentioned JJ went down with the dreaded [strike]Piston[/strike] ankle injury...he came back from the locker room, but did not play in the 4th.

Odd stats of the night. Pistons finished with 16 assists....but look how they got them:

They had 29 points on 3 assists in the first qtr; 25 points on 2 assists in the second qtr; 29 pts on 8 assists in the third and 18 pts on 3 assists in the 4th.

Only seven free throws tonight 1 FT in the first qtr and 2 FT in the second qtr 0 in the 3rd and 4 in the 4th.

58.4% shooting ~~~45 buckets by the Pistons (including 4 money balls). The only downer shooting wise was Wilcox missing a dunk and four free throws. We will take the 22 pts off the bench by CV and Bengo

Final score 101-89

4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Good start. Great start of 3rd quarter. We went up 30, mostly in the 3rd quarter where Sac Town was held to 3 points for most of the quarter.

Meanwhile, our bench did terrible, with Bynum looking particularly inept tonight. Wilcox played and did fine in the 2nd quarter - but missed all 4 of his freethrows. He was in there as we built our lead back up to 10 to finish the half after blowing a lead earlier.

Rip knocked down 30, just about 100% jumpers. But he was knocking them down from everywhere out to 3 point land. Hard to argue against a jumpshooting game when it gets that good.

Tay scored 22 himself, with a much better mix of scoring vs. Rip. Lots of posting up, backing down shorter guards.

Stuckey was plus a point per minute. Plus 35. Very impressive. Stuckey is hitting his shots, getting to the basket well, and playing excellent defense. Can't ask for much more.

Gordon and CV did not score a lot, but scored efficiently.

Ben just played great D. JMAX, well, the team just did not do well with him out there tonight. Nothing he did, but I can't say he was playing good D since the other team scored pretty much every time down when he was in the game.

JJ scored a bit, added some rebounds, and was part of that awesome 3rd quarter where the defense was near perfect. (The start of the game was almost as flawless defensively if you take - a - way some points off turns Sac Town got.)

JJ stepped on someone's foot, twisted an ankle. They said he could return to the game, but he did not. Hope it ain't too bad.

Daye started the 4th quarter, but was pulled after just a few minutes as the Kings were cutting into our 30 point lead way too fast. The Kings scored 11 straight there.

5. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Then the game gets a little bit tighter, and in the 4th qtr he choked.....for as well as he played through the 1st 3 qtrs he completetly SUCKED in the last half of the 4th qtr. The dude could not dribble and think at the same time! He just froze up and started staring at Rip run around screens, like a rookie QB locked into a reciever....uggghhh!!!!!
    The PG position requires a high hoop IQ........

6. LA Dre

Looks like we saw the same game..good Leecap:thumb:

7. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Stuckey's finest ctitic strikes again. Poor Rodney... he can't ever be good enough.

I wonder why the Pistons haven't seeked to hire you as a personal coach for Stuckey? Clearly you know more about playing the position than he does. Clearly you know how to handle and beat NBA level defenses...

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Whether or not KGREG or Lee, or me or you are NBA caliber talent scouts, isn't relevant to the question of whether or not the criticism is valid.

At the end of the day, we're all just fans offering our (relatively uninformed) opinions.

9. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Well, I thought he played a fine game tonight.

Nitpicking over sloppy play in garbage time and saying that Stuckey "choked" in a quarter where the Pistons held a double digit lead throughout is absolutely laughable. I mean, christ, we could do that all day long with every player. Stuckey wouldn't have even come back in the game if the bench guys could hold onto the lead... but they were horrible in protecting that huge lead.

Stuckey was a +34 for the game. We were absolutely terrible whenever he wasn't on the floor tonight. That's all that really needs to be said.

Why don't we just enjoy a good win for a change?

Or maybe not... this game hurts our lottery chances.

10. LA Dre

I thought Stuckey did OK tonight...it was Bynum who seemed to be the one stinking it up. He still wants to make sure he gets his and managed to drive in between the trees for the Pistons last bucket and to be sure he got in the scoring column.

11. max

max All-Star

Everyone did great except for the bench not being able to hold onto leads. maybe other teams have figured Bynum out.

At this point, if the Pistons keep playing like this, it will be a lot of fun watching them be spoilers to the playoff contenders. Like in the San Antonio game. Well, at least make the top teams work for their wins.

Rip and Tay look 1000% better.

12. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

One of the issues in the 4th was that we were in the penalty 2-3 minutes into it. the The kings took advantage of it, but too little too late.

13. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

About a two weeks too late for this little "showcase" by Rip & Tay.

We always harp on the fact that our Piston guys see a spike in their games after being traded to another team. Too bad these two can't be experiencing this phenomenon.

Someone needs to change the oil in the Pistons' tank!

Duty Now for the Future! - Devo

14. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Yes, I was hoping this trip would be the start of something un-spectacular.

I only saw brief parts of this game, mostly in the 1st half, but there was a play where CV pushed the ball (for him anyway) upcourt after getting a rebound (I believe). I though they'd be getting more of that type of stuff from him before the season started.

I was screaming at the TV for that idiot Kuester to take Jerebko out of the game right before he hurt his ankle.

Wilcox unleashed a free throw for the ages last night.

I think Kuester deserves some praise for his motivation/accountability handlings of the team.

15. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm so glad that Arnie changed the supports in everyone's shoes at the start of this season. Just think how many ankle injuries we would have had if he hadn't? :frusty:

16. Brap

Brap Starter

Stuckey has consistently been our best and most important player since the first month of the season. He's not been perfect, but he's been damn good. I have no idea what the criticism of him last night was about -- he played a terrific game most of the time at every aspect - offense (moving the ball, running our offense in a very Chauncy-like manner, playing within himself, controlling pace, shooting well), defense, rebounding, assists...

The guy is playing at near all-star capacity right now.

17. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Dude had a good game.

I think that the criticism stems from a desire for him do it EVERY game (or at least on a regular basis).
    ...and the criticism is valid IMO.

18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Stuckey had a good game until the 4th when the Pistons really blew their focus as a group.

It would be nice to see him take more jumpers like he did last night. He's been better the less he ball handles with Tay, Bengo and Bynum sharing the load.

Rip is now a 24~25PPG player.

19. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I think the criticism needs to have an asterisk as he has been playing with a MASH unit up til now. Let's see how he looks through the end of the season and evaluate then. For a player in his third year that was drafted 15 (I believe) he has taken on the load and has done quite well.

The rest of the season (if everyone stays healthy) will be a better indicator of his talent then the first half.

20. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Aurora's Game Report

First of all let me say that I had a revelation tonight. All these games I go to to watch these other NBA teams...Tonight I realized that I wish I could just go see the Pistons live 8-10 times a year, I'd so much rather do that. It was AWESOME to see my Pistons live again in the red, white and blue! I was just amped up from beginning to end and it makes me think I should rethink this whole living in Sacramento thing just because they have an NBA team and just move to Detroit before they get sold and I don't have the option. I'm serious as a heart attack. It was just that great to see my team again in living color.

Pre-game festivities. 6:10 pm. I walk in take my seat which is a directly up the sideline from the Pistons bench and there's 3 Pistons still out there working out. Stuckey is working on drives at the other end of the court, Tay is working on post-up shots, and Ben...Ben is doing a set of around-the-world 3 pointers?!!

Also there are about a fifty Piston fans lining the court with jerseys, tshirts, and photos they are hoping to get signed? In Sacramento? Awesome!...Note: Tay is the last off the practice court and the first back on.

Ben is real frisky and high spirited in the introductions. Seems to be having the most fun out of the gate here. He hipbumps, fistbumps, high fives everybody, does a little dance in a circle, boogies over to the chalk, sends it flying all over the scorer's table, does a loud battle cry and then doubles over in laughter. I think Ben is very happy to be a Piston.

There is a contingent of young (early 20s) Pistons fans who have already begun the ol' familiar chant Dee-troit Basketball much to the chagrin of the more staid Sacramento fan base. Of course, this reception is delighting the youngsters and they promise to become more irrepressible as the game commences. I can barely contain my delight and we are underway!

You guys saw the game. I don't have alot of play by play notes on it. Tay opened up with several nice drives to the basket which Sue the Sacramento fan next to me was nice enough to note with "See, the extra practice he put in paid off" after I had shared with her we were kind of hoping he might get traded. LOL. I thought the Tay and Rip show was pretty impressive this game until the 4th quarter when Rip started deteriorating in his shot accuracy.

Even Dave the Sacramento fan behind me thought the tech on Wilcox was bogus in the 3rd. The earlier play when Sacramento Jason Thompson ended up on his back happened right in front of us and it was hardly conclusive to our eyes that Wilcox had fouled him, even after the replay. But then two "makeup fouls" in a row by that ref and then Wilcox "disagrees" and gets a tech. Then the rest of the game every single time the focus was on Wilcox the entire Sacramento crowd booed and hissed at him like he was the ultimate bad guy. Ridiculous! That little sequence could have been scripted from the moment the King hit the deck.

Wow the beginning of the third. Outrageous shooting by our guys. That was really something to see in person. What was also super fun was that the entire bench (Kwame, Wilcox, Daye, Charlie, Will, all of 'em) were on their feet, cheering, twirling towels, yelling and jumping up and down and carrying on with great bravado. Every time Rip hit another shot this big roar came up from all of them and it was like THEY had hit it. I was very close to them and I'll tell you if this is a dispirited bunch as a whole, they're very good actors. I'm not sure exactly what all the losing has to do with, but I don't think it's their attitudes.

Okay a few more things: Jonas Jerebko injury: It looked really bad. He went down on the far end of the court from where I was and it looked like he was in extreme pain. I got so panicky that when they took him to the locker room I had to text Darth about it. But then only about five minutes later he was back on the bench. I moved over the another aisle to get a better look and the usher came over to me and told me I couldn't sit there. I looked her straight in the eye and I said "Ma'am, I am trying to see how bad the injury to our rookie is. I need to sit her for another 20 seconds to do that. Then I will go back to my seat." I'm sure she thought I was certifiable so she sat there with me until I ascertained that JJ was iced and wrapped and seemed to be calm and in good spirits talking to his teammates. So the dreaded ankle injury seems to be a minor one, thank God.

Last point. Coach Q. This really surprised me. On tv they always show him looking quietly contained, maybe simmering, frustrated but stoic or cerebral. Man no way at this game. That man is active. He was jumping up and down and around on the sideline. Yelling and sometimes screaming out plays and interacting with the refs alot. Walking several feet out on the court to talk to his players and the refs often. Twice he was still yakking with a ref and standing inches behind a Kings player while he was inbounding the ball. He's a lively man, a dynamic coach. And I didn't see any indication (and I was looking through my bird-watching binoculars at close range) that he has lost this team. The body language of the players toward him was of deference and respect when he drew up plays and they listened when he pulled them aside off the court for little consultations. And believe me I know from watching Sheed, Rip and Tay interact with Flip when there is that "tolerating" behavior going on. I'd say at least from one night only that Coach Q is in good stead with the team at least.

I left the arena to the cadence of the youngsters chanting DEE-TROIT BAAASKETBAAALLL...it was really the best night of basketball I've had in Sacramento. It was so perfect that those kids kept doing that all the way out to the parking lot!

Okay it's a long one but there it is. I wouldn't have written so much but I'm still riding high on the joy of seeing my Pistons play live basketball again.

Oh let me say you guys all watch and seem to track the actual game itself just fine so I just try to be the color gal at these live games. Keeping track of all the xs and os and plays, well I look to some of your posts in every game thread for that.