1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

at Sacramento Kings Sunday November 14 6:00 pm

Discussion in 'November 2010' started by roscoe36, Oct 19, 2010.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

2. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

OH YEAH! I must really really love the Pistons. Because I spent $70 out of the last $100 of a maxed out credit card to see them play this game from a good seat. I'm sitting in my favorite section which is straight down the sideline just up high enough that a get a good angle as the plays unfold coming up the court and even better, where I can observe EVERYTHING happening at the Visitors Bench. I'll try to report in with my observations after the game.

After quite a bit of back and forth in my mind, I've decided to wear my Big Ben #3 swingman road red jersey instead of my AI #1 authentic blue jersey. It's really kind of a no brainer. Big Ben is still on the team and still playing and even though the number on the jersey isn't right that's just because Stuckey was selfish enough to think he merited keeping Ben's number. What a joke that is. Like Stuckey's number would ever get retired. We got to trade Stuckey soon so we can retire Ben's number when Ben retires.

AI is always and forever my favorite player, but he only was a Piston for one year, he himself calls it "the worst year of his career", and more importantly he isn't my favorite Piston (Ben is), just my favorite NBA player. So just because I spent a fortune on the jersey is no reason to try to amortize it by wearing it when it just isn't relevant FOR THIS GAME. I can wear it all over town, to the sports bar, etc. declaring my undying loyalty to AI (especially because he is in Turkey now and needs his fans not to forget him) on my own time. But this game is PISTONS TIME....and so BIG BEN WALLACE #3, heart and soul of the Pistons carries the day.

I'm really looking forward to this game. The Kings have no defense. So far they are a perimeter jumpshooting team that doesn't shoot very well. They have a few weapons. Tyreke Evans and DeMarcus Cousins. Tyreke is hard to stop when he drives to the basket. Cousins is a tenacious rebounder and can putback those lousy perimeter jumpshots. However, it's easy to get them both in foul trouble early in the game. This is what the Lakers did and this is what we should do. Under normal circumstances, I root for the Kings. But not against my Pistons. DEEEEEETROIT BAAAAASKETBAAAAALL!

3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Have a great time Kim and bring the PF road karma to the game with you to cheer on a victory...

4. Susie914

Susie914 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Have fun...I'll look for you in the stands...

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Well, I know that we are texting each other, but I still gotta publicly wish you a great time!

As far as jerseys, it was a no-brainer. Faisal the dog made a poopie or something on your A.I. jersey (not going to comment on that one) so u had no choice but to wear Big Ben's.:pound:

Pistons up 5 at the half. :)

7. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

why is every guard having the game of his life against the Pistons? Udrih 7 assits, only 1 TO this far, he's killing me in fantasy!!! I HATE HIM!!!

8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That's a big problem with the team. None of the Detroit guards can keep quick players in front of them.

9. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Udrih has killed us ever since he got to Sacto. Remember that huge game he had against Chauncey a couple years ago?

10. yes-sir

yes-sir First Round Draft Pick

Bengo BANG that three ball! COUNTED:MusicBigGrin:

11. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Back to back road wins baby! Oooh yeah!

The most important stat of the game are the minutes for each player. Don't know why Daye didn't play, but the minute distribution was one of the best this season:

Stuckey 33:56
    Rip 21:29
    Wallace 27:36
    Max 27:24
    Prince 27:20
    Gordon 26:55
    CV 25:01
    TMAC 20:40
    Monroe 15:35
    Bynum 14:04

12. Brap

Brap Starter

No guards in the league can keep fast guards in front of them all the time. The new rules make that very hard to do.

However, Stuckey really does a great job doing that. The other Piston who used to do that great was JJ.

13. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Pistons win!

Some clutch shooting from Bengo, a nice game by Monroe and T-Mac found his shot. Zwesome! Also nice to see Bengo play instead of Rip in the end.

What's up with Daye btw? DNPCD according to NBA.com.

14. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

The Good: Tmac has got his shot back. I have been waiting so as not to pre-judge. He will be a weapon going forward.

CV and Gordon are learning to play together. Quite a bit of firepower there. Look's like actually their signings will turn out. The problem is not CV and Gordon so much but the bulk of the team they joined. Good to see Gordon get one late.

The Not so Good: Maxiel and Ben should not play much together. I t puts too much strain on the offense and as Ben has slowed down some (good block at the end Ben like old times) they are not expecially good on defense together either. I Know the coach does not have many options on the front court. The team misses JJ sorely.

Bynum is getting way too many minutes. And, how does one figure to see Bynum chucking threes while guys like Tmac, CV and Gordon watch? Tmac can step up his role and Bynum can play spot minutes.

Stuckey did that drive into nowhere again--at about the two minute mark. Earlier, he had to drive as there is no one to pass to with Maxiel and Ben together on the court.

If TMac shoots like that, this team can actually win some games even while lacking an NBA quality front line.

15. Brap

Brap Starter

Monroe played quite well. We didn't use him in the post at all, but he rebounded great, defended well, outplayed Cousins and converted his opportunities.

Stuckey was very good - played under control.

Gordon, Tay and CV played really well.

McGrady was great.

I don't like not getting Daye minutes, but it's obvious that the Pistons team has a bunch of guys that Q needs to play and some games the matchups require a guy like Maxiell. Maxiell did have 7 rebounds tonight, and he's a good choice (more rigorously put, a slightly less awful choice) for us to bang against big guys like the Kings throw out at the power positions.

16. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Some guards are good at playing perimeter defense, some are average, and some are bad. The Pistons are bad. Stuckey is okay, not great on defense.

17. Brap

Brap Starter

When - not if - When the Pistons trade Tay, the offense will be a lot better balanced at the start of games with Daye, and presumably, the competant power player we get in the trade.

18. Brap

Brap Starter

I don't think Stuckey is especially strong at defending against perimeter shooters, but that wasn't the point we were discussing. The issue on the table was whether Stuckey was good at keeping guards in front of him - and he is good at that. He's also good at defending bigger guys he switches on, because he has the strength and tenacity not to be blown up by them.

19. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

If Bynum doesn't really pick it up soon (only piston tonight with a negative +-, and still taking long range shots when there are shooters on the floor) then he needs to drop out of the top 10 since seems Q really is set on the 10 man rotation

Tmac can handle the backup point guard mins and Daye gets back in.... takes the sf backup mins that Tmac is taking now.

20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

A game that kept you on your toes just about all the time. Say anything negative about any individual player you want to - but as a team the Pistons continually made plays on offense. Someone looking at the stat line might think we rebounded ok, but we shot so well Sactown simply had less defensive boarding ops.

Sactown killed us on the O glass, no doubt. Way too many King players with no bodies on them to slow them down. And often, we just had no height, or no strength.

Which leads me to the end of the game. The unit that finished this one, in good style, made a lot of sense. Stuckey, Gordon, Tay, CV, JMAX. Any of these guys can score, and inside, you got some length from CV and strength from JMAX. Anyone notice we have yet to try to pair up Monroe with Ben Wallace to go for the same combination of length and strength?

Where to start really? Rip and Tay had bad shooting games - last game. This game, they both shot well, with Tay making that clutch shot from the middle while Rip started out the gate hot. Gordon had the quietest 16 points you ever want to see. Just patiently waited for shots to come to him. And made them. CV, yet again, got double figures in scoring. Yes, paired with Monroe = zero interior D, but its not his choice to be paired with Monroe. Thats on the coach.

Despite giving up a few offensive rebounds early in the game, the duo of Ben Wallace and Jason Maxiell effectively shut down the middle in that first quarter to give us a good defensive start to the game. Meanwhile, with two guards with height starting for us, Sactown's outside shots were not available either. And with both Rip and Prince scoring, this unit could actually score more than the other team at least.

Sacramento had us solved inside though in that 3rd quarter. How much of that was carry over from us getting hammered inside defenselessly in the 2nd quarter I could not really say. I would like not to see such a thing again in any case.

Odd happening. A guy is in the middle of making 8 straight 3's, and he gets a DNP, coaches decision. Hey, we won. Hey, we played almost totally no small ball. (Exception a defensive play or two at the end of the game.) So, basically, we take out a 6-11 Daye out of our rotation and go bigger. And despite playing no small ball, we get totally disgraced on the O boards by the other team. Just odd.

Some people say Bynum played too much. Maybe. Maybe not. I have stated a hundred times in the past - a coach who knows what he is doing will try to get the minutes out of the bench players - leaving a fresh set of starters in their at the end of the game. Another smart person on one of the boards noted our minute distribution for this game was excellent. It was. Absolutely. Could we have played Bynum less though and had TMAC play some point? If TMAC keeps playing like he is, somebody is going to have to lose minutes. I hope that's not Daye.

Look Bynum fans, who do you want in there given the choice of Bynum or Daye? I say absolutely, we should go big. We absolutely need a guy like TMAC or Daye playing some 2 guard and adding some guard rebounding to the equation. (With TMAC acting as the point on offense)

Four of five sure sounds nice. Especially after just playing three games out West. Time to beat GS for the 2nd time. Man, I would love to see us back at .500 soon.

JMAX made that one free throw late. Sure would have liked to have had both go in, but still, the one that went in was really needed.

Kudos to Kuester for sure for going with the steady as all get out Ben Gordon to finish the game instead of Rip. Like CV says, he is finishing games and he takes a lot of stock in that. Ben Gordon should too. And Rip would make a great late defensive sub for Gordon when needed. Just one game, but lets hope it continues. By the way, Rip looked bad the one time forcing it a bit, but in all, he is concentrating on getting inside more and that is really helping to set a good tone for the team.

Tay hit most of his shots, great to see. But the guy who has to be making fans drool with anticipation is TMAC. Just how good can this guy get yet this season. Last game, he made 2 outside shots. This game, he made a couple more in the first half. So they came out and guarded him closely in the 2nd half. And he just swished a couple more over tall defenders sticking like glue to him. Outstanding piece of shooting.

CV continues to both nail his 3's while going inside too. Very balanced game from him on offense. And he just looks sharp. Although he toned it down a lot from last game, he still scored when asked to score. And we needed every bucket we made as we barely stayed ahead (or tied) in that 2nd half.

You look at Stuckey and say how good a game he had. When you outscore the opposing point badly, and nearly have as many assists, I say you won the matchup. Stuckey wins a lot of matchups. I say he is a keeper. And the way he typically scores, driving to the basket, is just what you want.

Great move by Q to to take Daye out of the starting unit. Lots of decisions about who plays and who does not going forward. Yes, you got to win games - but I hope Q realized that come playoffs, the chances of the Pistons winning will depend on how deep a team he brings to those playoffs. Lets not lose anyone in the shuffle. In this game, with 10 guys playing fairly balanced minutes, what can you really say though. Just one game. Just don't make it a blueprint.

Well, tahts about it. Time to turn to studying. Big test in the morning.

GO PISTONS!!!!!