at Portland Trailblazers Wednesday November 18 10:00 pm

Discussion in 'November 2009' started by roscoe36, Nov 2, 2009.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Detroit Pistons at Portland Trailblazers

Wednesday November 18

10:00 pm

Local TV: FS Detroit Plus

Nat'l TV:

Radio: 950 WWJ
  2. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Maybe I'll be sufficiently charged up after watching Michigan's volleyball team beat up on Michigan State to stay up at least through the first quarter.
  3. detteam

detteam All-Star

Speaking of beating up, did you happen to catch the MSU-UM hockey games last weekend? :smoke06:
  4. dba

Last weekend? The field hockey season was over by the beginning of the month. But yes, unfortunately UM did lose to MSU back in October.

Wait, you mean that thing with the ice? Nah, who watches that?
  5. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

for me it means to get up at 5AM, shower during halftime...

wanna bet who gets injured? Lee has called this doom...something must happen...:girl_devil:

It simply is the hardest part of the schedule and EVERY team has to go through this.
  6. dp21

dp21 First Round Draft Pick

7. dba

It's one of those games that the road team has no logical reason to think they can win. On the road, back to back, coming off two hard losses (though hard for different reasons), injured, facing a hot team at home, etc., etc.

So, it's gut check time. It's about not giving yourself a pass, even though you might deserve it. It's maybe Coach Q's biggest test of the young season. He may not be able to do enough to get a win, but if the team comes out with fire and a willingness to ignore everything and just play, then you have to feel pretty good about him.

Certainly neither Flip nor Curry ever managed to do game by game substitutions based on matchups. Not many coaches do that, perhaps because there is a big gap between the fifth starter and the sixth man, perhaps because it's not a good idea. Anyway, I'd like to see it some, and with Rip and Tay out, it seems a good time. No one is going to question - excuse me, no one other than some of our friends here - are going to question putting the rookie (JJ) on the bench and starting the team's early season MVP.

What about Miller anyway? I was very surprised he didn't start from game one. Does anyone know if he had some attitude problems to work through after the trade?

Oh yeah, Przybilla - Piston killer.
  8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Charlie V will go for 56 points tonight along with 3 rebounds as the Pistons win by 7.
  9. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

If that's the case, then Q gave up on the game before the players did. I'd rather believe that he was trying to make a point to the starters that "if you suck, you sit down" and allowing the reserves that fueled the comeback to stay on the court.

But then, why sit Maxiell?
    :noidea:
  10. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

It's been a while since we last had a 20/1 guy.
  11. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

C'mon...like who? You're just making that up.

It was more about protecting the psyche of one Steve Blake...even Blazer fans knew it was just a matter of time, but Blake was kind of a local fav since he helped them start to become competitive again.
  12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Hey JJ, last night you guarded Kobe, Lamar Odom, and Ron Artest; tonight I need you to defend Brandon Roy.......baptism by fire!!! I love it!!!!

As good as Portland's record is, and as capable as Roy, Aldridge, and Fernandez are as scorers, the team is struggling to score points. As big as Pryz and Oden are, they don't show very well on P&R's away from the basket, it's going to be very important we run sets that bring those guys away from the hoop, so our little guards can get to the hoop. This is a winnable game, a difficult one, but a winnable one none-the-less.
  13. dp21

dp21 First Round Draft Pick

I'm not saying Kuester quit on the game, but it didn't make sense when the Pistons pulled within 7 that he left DaJuan Summers and his four career NBA points in the game and Ben Gordon on the bench, unless he felt the starter were gassed. Hard to make sense of that unless like you said he was proving a point in a game they likely weren't going to win anyways.
  14. roscoe36

DP, it's my conspiracy theory that Kuester wasn't going to go all in for the Lakers game, but wanted to save his starters for Portland.
  15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

There were 2:42 left in the game when they cut the lead to 7. Had they cut that lead to 7 with say 4:42 left in the game, I think we may have seen some substitutions. I actually applauded him for leaving those guys on the floor, the guys on the bench (the starters) had proven that they didn't want it, our reserves came in, fought, and hustled, why not give them the chance to pull it out.
  16. roscoe36

17. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

The offense is broken. 50 points after 3 quarters. You can't win. Coach is having trouble playing the guards for scoring as that leaves defensive liabilities as both Bynum and Gordon are small.

Plus, there isn't a true point guard and there really isn't a big to pass the ball to other than CV who is on and off. Since the Dallas game, teams are coming out on the guards. The offense gets so bad that it creates break out opportunities for the opposition.
  18. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

Another great comeback attempt, but we fell behind by to much in the 3rd. Stuckey was leading the way with Daye, CV, Wallace, and JJ/Summers playing. That big lineup looked pretty good out there. The scrambling defense was a thing of beauty. We're getting close...I really think this team is learning alot and our rookies are getting some serious burn. Who would have thought that Daye, Summers and JJ would all play critical minutes in the 4th?
  19. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

I don't know if the offense is broken. Out of sync for sure, but we're playing some tough opponents. Lakers and Trailblazers on a back to back is brutal. Not to mention both teams all have incredible length, height and skill at the PF and C positions. I really think we are making strides and I like what Keuster is doing. For the first time in 5 or 6 seasons we are actually developing our rookies, you can't go wrong with that.
  20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Again, a tired team. We almost got this one back even after falling way behind. And we only had one of our three guards out there. Daye was at shooting guard. Summers got lots of action early in the 4th too. A 17-2 run got us to within one. Perhaps just one offensive rebound less by Portland and we win this one. Lots of fun to watch that 4th quarter.

Gordon still had no legs. Stuckey and CV shot better than last night. Bynum contributed some scoring. Kwame did a little better in the 2nd half, getting aggressive on scoring for a spell. JMAX did nothing special.

No Rip. No Wilcox.

Jerebko did ok, but he should take open shots. He was in there during that run, along with Ben Wallace, CV. (Stuckey, Daye, JJ, CV, Wallace for much of the run. Summers helped start the whole thing though.)

That was 4 games in 5 nights. Just one win, to start the thing. Despite the losses, at least we gave some young guys some burn. Should pay dividends going forward. However, there was never any reason to exclude the young guys early in the season. Coach never "had" to overplay anyone. We are way too deep a team for that.

I'd say Daye's play was the bright spot for the evening. And for the past two games, seeing us have success with Summers in there, each time triggering a vigourous 4th quarter come back attempt, is something very positive to hope on.

Good nite. Its late.

GO PISTONS!!!!!

PS, the best thing for me is simply that we went big instead of small for a change, and just like last night, did well. The sad thing though is I can't see Kuester stick with going big when Rip gets back. We are probably doomed to small ball.