At Portland TrailBlazers Jan. 7th, 10:00 PM

Discussion in 'January 2009' started by Dlev59, Dec 31, 2008.

1. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

True. However there is this thing called a scouting report. The looks that teams give AI are consistent with his weaknesses, Rip will not get the same looks AI gets because that plays to Rips strengths. It's not a one size fits all game, teams take away what you do best. Now, when AI is actually hitting the 18-20'er, good night, game over, nothing any team can do about him, give him his 30+ and go home.

One last thing about this game. Portland is one of, if not the best young teams in the league. Last night, for a good portion of the game we got a chance to see how our young'ns (Stuck, AA, Kwame, Amir, Max) could hold up against the team of the future, I think they did aiight, we're looking good for the next 5-7 years folks.
  2. pass99

pass99 Team Captain Forum Donor

No doubt about it...I want you on my side.
  3. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

finally got a chance to watch the game...didn't even notice AI shooting that poorly because he actually did well penetrating against the zone in the 2nd quarter and hit shots. sure blake burned him a couple times but he burned him right back, and we only gave up 84 points, and we've been giving up low scores *with* AI in the starting lineup, so i don't really see defense as a problem. did seem like we had tired guys toward the end as we missed 3 straight FTs, AI took a couple plays off defensively, and we started missing more shots...but the defense overall was just fine.

sidenotes - stuckey did not travel on the buzzer beater when he had to throw a shot up, and amir needs to learn when to just give up 2 points instead of wasting a foul, and the players need to recognize when one of their own players is down and call a timeout, kwame played a good game.

i'm with roscoe on enjoying that this team doesn't b1tch at refs as much with sheed and rip out...just look how ridiculous fernandez looked flopping all over the place...he certainly didn't get any extra calls because of it.

yes, rip would be good to bust a zone. so would sheed. when they come back teams won't be able to play as much zone and they won't be able to trap stuckey as often, but it's good for him to get those learning experiences now.

stuckey continues to impress. he was responsible for 9 of our 1st 11 points and has great recognition when to pass from the top to the paint area for easy scores. his defense remains stellar, mainly because he is quick enough to stay with his man and strong enough to stay with taller and bigger players.

the thing is, are we *really* overloaded in the backcourt...or just loaded? i mean, i think we can handle the frontcourt with sheed, dice, amir, max, and kwame. why not have a stacked backcourt of stuckey, AI, rip, and AA? that's still only 4 guys, and we can give rip more minutes by resting tay. the big question is how rip fits in when he gets back...we could be awesome (as long as he comes off the bench and we stay with big lineups). but if he doesn't fit in, a rip-for-camby deal with give us a much better starting frontcourt, but then we'd be thin at guard and have no reason to play 6 big men.

another sidenote, i don't think AA should be getting over 20-25 minutes a game honestly...his shot seems to be much more accurate in shorter stretches and shorter times because he's expending a lot of effort on defense.
  4. Stuckey#15

Stuckey#15 First Round Draft Pick

I think that'd be a great idea, because Hamilton playing 25 minutes, off the bench would still be extremely effective and beneficial. Furthermore, Hamilton had to do a lot of the scoring in the past except now, 10-15 points a game would be suffice from RIP. If he doesn't fit before we trade I think we should try one more line-up i just conjured from no-where. I haven't really thought about it but with Stuckey, Afflalo, Prince, Amir, Sheed and then A.I. and Hamilton of the bench I know it sounds a bit stupid to have two such great players off the court, except Stuckey, prince and Sheed can do a bulk of the scoring for the starting five and then RIP and Iverson can dominate, against tired, or bench defenses, our defense would be even stronger and our offense also stronger, does that make sense?

This would also give AA a chance to show if he really has what it takes to play at the NBA level! :)
  5. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Hi Pistons Fans! My sister and I are stuck in Portland due to flooding on the highways. We've had plenty of time to dissect this game and we agree that the game was lost in the third quarter. Stuckey came out all out of control and rhythm and then AI was just all over the place. During this quarter my sister remarked "They've GOT to stop running around out there like maniacs." The foul Amir got for being on the floor and the Trailblazer (or as my sister likes to call them, The Timberlakes) trips backwards over him was ridiculous. There was plenty of homecooking. And those fans....Just awful. The better their team played the angrier they got. It was quite strange.

Seeing as we might be here for a while due to the extensive flooding, I may be extending my stay at the La Quinta and watching a few more Timberlake games.

I'm really seriously addicted to watching live NBA basketball. It's beginning to impact my budget. But I can't help myself. More later.

Go Pistons! I think we are right on schedule for a great run this year.

P.S. My sister did get some long looks at Sheed on the bench. And it was rewarding.
  6. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Thank You. Sometimes i feel like talking about AI struggling or Rip in a positive way is considered a 4-letter word. In the SL, Stuckey is a the guy that drives and has the ball in his hands. Where and how his passes are coming from are ideal for a spot-up shooter. Our defense has been much better these past few games (and even that will improve if Rip starts), but our offense is very one-on-one and easy to stop. We needed penetration in the line-up and now we went to the other extreme and that's all we have.

--------

Stuck apparently had mid way through the game and still is having back problems. I hope he's OK.

I support the team, but i'm not one of those people that's yelling believe when we're down 15 with 1:00 to go (exxageration i know, but gets the point across)

Definately a product of no Amir/Sheed out there.
  7. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I am enjoying the last three games too without all the ref drama. Hopefully, someone has pointed this out to sheed. The calls will not change so arguing with refs only cements your fate later in the game when you need a call. Hopefully, somone has pointed it out to sheed. Hopefully. Fernandez is such an actor. Some of the foreign born players are actors and really good floppers.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That's an interesting theory. If there is one of the top 4 guards that will get limited minutes anyway, it will be him. He probably won't average over 20 once Rip is back.
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I agree. In fact, sometimes you post "loss" days before the game is played.
  10. boozy

boozy First Round Draft Pick

Very true although I felt that of the 4 game Road trip this one was one of the two easier winnable games due to Brandon Roy being njured and Odens propensity to get into foul trouble.

One thing I did not forget is Aldridge. I remember him going off on us last time we played. Blake is also an underated PG. Good passer, decent shooter. While we had won seven straight I wish we could have sealed the deal making it eight knowing we had an even tougher schedule ahead of us.

Side note: I honestly don't think the league will take note of us as a threat unless we go into Clevland and beat the Cavs. Just my humble opinion.
  11. roscoe36

Is it important that we are a threat? Or that we are recognized as such?

I'd rather stay under the radar, work hard, get healthy and get better. There's no trophy for beating Cleveland or Boston in January or February and certainly no one will feel good about losing to one of these teams in the playoffs, if we won during the season.
  12. boozy

boozy First Round Draft Pick

Respect is huge. It can also lead to fear, which in turn can lead to teams playing sloppy against us. Plus I need the ammo to use around the proverbial water cooler. I also I'm tired of seeing 15 seconds about the Pistons on NBA Fastbreak

Explititve Carlos Boozer. I think the Clippers would probably not make that trade but if Boozer were healthy Utah would possibly trade boozer considering how deep they are on the big man front
  13. roscoe36

That's more like it. :)
  14. Stuckey#15

Stuckey#15 First Round Draft Pick

Respect is huge, yes, it can lead to fear, yes but I’m not concerned if the pistons come in 4th, without major impact or being called one of the best teams, because it is this under-dog tag that has always been a good one for us. We seem to grind out those very difficult games as the underdog. Furthermore, the teams that are really strong, e.g. Boston, LA Cleveland, Magic well we have beaten Cleveland, LA and Magic already and Boston certainly know we're a good team so having the under-dog tag with the rest of the league isn't necessarily a bad thing - at the moment.

I don't want to see Boozer at the pistons, due to our chances of securing Bosh in a few years, I wouldn't do the trade also because i don't think getting rid of Hamilton is the right move, especially considering we don't know the future of Allen and Sheed, Stick with this team until seasons end unless an extremely beneficial trade comes us, jumbling this line-up and we're currently, still a good enough team. :)
  15. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

And others post win. That's the nature of prediction. Everbody's sometimes right, sometimes wrong unless you post tie, or you can see the future. The people that post see i knew we were going to win or vice versa are just speculating.