At Portland TrailBlazers Jan. 7th, 10:00 PM

Discussion in 'January 2009' started by Dlev59, Dec 31, 2008.

1. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

It was obvious from the get go. We were scoring either one on one in traffic or making tough shots. I kinda had loss after we only had a 7 pt lead at half time. POR would eventually do something on offense. I didn't expect the stupid shots, and tripping over our own feet though.

------------------

I thought he came out pumped and then a combo of defense/fatigue played a part in the rest of his sucky game. He's getting tired pretty quick in the last 2 games or so. It's definately catching up to him. Also he apparently had a big following in the crowd. Since SEA no longer has a team, all his people came to this one so maybe nerves played a role as well.
    LOL. I didn't get it either. He already had 5. It's not like after he pulled him he wa splanning on putting him back in. And 2 of those calls were results of our permiteter defenders being unable to keep their guy in front, one was absolutely stupid on his part, the other was a normal foul, and the last call atrocious.
  2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Well we kept the points down which shows some consistancy.
    But we've been playing with fire for a couple of weeks now. Time we were burned.
    But with CB and the Nuggs tomorrow. It could've been a look ahead game.
  3. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

Although her conclusion that Rip should start over AI may be premature, I thought the primary observation that LP made was valid (at the very least worth considering rather than dismissing). And that is with Stuckey and AI together, AI has struggled in the role of catch and shoot guy - see his jumpshooting percentages lately. Rip excels in that role.
  4. boozy

boozy First Round Draft Pick

In my opinon we should have played JMAX more and kept Amir and Dyce out of foul trouble. Was very impressed with the 18-20 foot jumper he took. He needs more of those to boost his confidence. I would also like to see more post work for the Pistons. We had great momentum early on with alot more points in the paint and then in the second half resorted almost totally to jumpers.

Dyce continues to be a HUGE asset for this team. His rebounding off the bench is Camby-esque and his mid-range jumper is almost a guarenteed bucket. He is atheltic enough to be put in the low post though which is where I would like to see him more.

I cannot blame Amir for all of his foul troubles. Some are good fouls, such as fouling a low percentage FT shooter trying to dunk while some are phantom calls that are not his fault. What I wanna see the whole team work on is the concept that if you are going to put yourself in position to take a foul then it BETTER be hard enough for them to miss the shot.

Was also irritated in the fourth to see the ease with which they were getting penitration to the rim. Saw no help at the hoop to avoid the easy layup/dunk. That's where the forward needs to be ready to roll into the paint to contest the shot.

Worst thing about this game is the knowledge that we gave it up, they didn't win it. I would be interested to see if any other team in the league has let so many double digit leads go resulting in a loss. One thing I could say is that if CB was here we would not be missing any freebe Techs thus costing us the game. And no that is not me saying I regret the trade for I am most certainly a Stuck Nut.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That would actually be an interesting thing to know. They keep track of that in baseball I believe. How many 10 point leads have the Pistons blown and what is expected from an NBA team?

As far as us giving it up, I'm assuming you're saying that because of our big lead. But ignoring that, I think it is fair to recognize that Portland was really something on defense in the 2nd half, especially when the crowd got involved. And when all was said and done, we were the one's with 8 seconds left on the clock and the ball in AI's hands. But they stopped him.
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I was a little incredulous because I don't know how anyone could watch that game last night, and come to the conclusion that AI's jump shooting was the problem.

I'll be the first to admit, Rip is a superior shooter to AI. He also makes us bigger on both sides of the ball.

But he's a hot head, he takes bad fouls, he can't get his own shot, and he won't be driving and kicking. Both players have their problems.
  7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

My knee jerk reaction: Trade them both for Deron Williams!!
  8. Stuckey#15

Stuckey#15 First Round Draft Pick

I think bringing AI to the team has just caused problems, if anything we needed to get rid of Chauncey for a tall – someone to play a starting line-up role at the PF/C position when or if Rasheed Wallace goes. Michael Curry and mainly Joe Dumars made the integral mistake in the first place by shipping Chauncey – our best player, the heart and soul of a team and the backbone of constant ECF appearances; yes we did need to get Stuckey into the thick of things although to add AI, bring controversy, un-needed line-up problems and player turmoil is not what we needed. Fair enough, we're sitting 5th in the east and very close to 4th yet still this is not the problem, the problem is the team isn’t completely unified and our consistency is horrible. Detroit have made a mistake which, in my opinion is irreplaceable until we reach this off season, as a trade now would basically rule out any chance off stability and have players who are familiar with the system and each other. As for now I think our best hope is to chuck A.I. on the bench bring back Mcdyess to the starting line-up, if A.I. is genuine about winning a championship this is our best shot.

If we were to change our starting line-up this is an example of our rotation;
    C: Rasheed 60% / 30% Amir / 10% Kwame
    PF: Mcdyess 50% / 40% Maxiell / 10% Amir
    SF: Prince 75% / 20% Afflalo / 5% Herrmann
    SG: Hamilton 70% / 20% A.I. / 10% Afflalo
    PG: Stuckey 70% / 30% A.I. / 0% Bynum (garbage time/injuries etc.)

Just an idea a bit of topic but I though it was necessary to be said…
    :)
  9. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

I think remember Nuggets trying to dump Camby + AI on Joe, and I believe he should of done it.

But it's done, so we just have to use with what we got.
  10. lovingj

lovingj First Round Draft Pick

We we're not getting any better under Chauncey and I doubt we would have made the ECF again with him still here. Chauncey's success in Denver is explictly the result of him being in a new environment because the offense was extremely stagnant with him in Detroit.

Consistency is horrible? We won 7 straight. We are going to lose some games, that's a given.

As for your line-up, I think switching AI with Rip would probably help the team but I would let McDyess continue coming off the bench. The combination of Amir and Sheed provides an unstoppable defense in our frontcourt and then have McDyess come in and be the rebound wonder kid he's been of late.
  11. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Yeah, you seemed pretty upset in the chat.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

[SIGN]I changed my avatar in honor of Scoe!
    [/SIGN]
  12. Stuckey#15

I might not have put it clearly but what i meant was not to keep chauncey but if you're going to give up such a tremendous talent, a better return would've been necessary, don't get me wrong i love A.I. except his not what this team needs, I would've much prefered to have seen Camby and Jr. Smith for example come to te team, giving us great depth, defence and the ability to go back to old Detroit Basketball (Camby - Ben Wallace) (Stuckey - Billups) (Jr. Smith strong bench).

As for consistancy, yeh we've won 7 straight some without our stars, although to be sucessful and consistant you've got to beat the good teams in this league. We have been extremely inconsistant in this area.
    Finally, I also would prefer to have Amir in the starting 5 over McDyess because then we would have very explosive high scoring bench, in Iverson, Maxiell and McDyess.

Furthermore, there's an article recently posted on Espn with quotes of how A.I. is playing really unselfishly and is happy not to have to lead the team. Very questionable if you ask me, Iverson's perormance yesterday showed he still wanted to lead the show, or maybe Curry doesn't have the confidence in someone else to win a game for us. Am i overreacting or does anyone else think A.I. is playing a bit two-faced.
  13. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I don't think its two faced. You are who you are. You can be a team player and carry the team on your back in crunch time. Isiah found a way. AI can do that too.

People focus on how crowded our back court is but it seems to me that AI has allowed us some breathing room. I love CB and think we lost a great deal when we traded him but it allowed Stuckey to fill a void. Does he fill it completely? NO. But we don't completely go dead in the water when one player goes out of the game.
  14. roscoe36

How did you know my fav bagel is the onion bagel? Seriously...
  15. Smoooth

Smoooth First Round Draft Pick

Wow what a meltdown, talk about choke.
    Can't wait to get Sheed/Rip back, Amir has been punking us of late.
  16. Stuckey#15

Probably right, except i think it's something that we're going to have to adjust too, we should've never been in this circumstance against the Blazers, Iverson should've never been forced to try and shoot that game winner. Until we can secure the victory we're in a bit of trouble, I think that will probably come back when sheed and Hamilton come back and we find out if anyone will go to the bench and we get a bit of depth.
  17. roscoe36

I admire fans who think so much of the Pistons (welcome to the forum btw) but the Blazers are a very good team, and very well coached, with a strong homecourt in Portland.

Losing by 1 point on the road to Portland in 08/09 will not go down as a bad loss for any team. The Blazers, like us, have 21 wins.
  18. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I am just glad that we had a win streak going. At least we are looking very competitive again. The first 10-15 games with AI sucked.

Hopefully Rip and Sheed just come in and get involved right away and help us regain our high status. I am worried the recent success and these injuries could cause another trade.
  19. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

winning streak could have ended anyway, sooner or later, it just ended sooner.
  20. Stuckey#15

Thanks, I appreciate it. ;)

Very true, Blazers are a good team, and the matchup was probably made fair by the fact Roy was out although the pistons were without two superstars. It begs the question, are we good enough to catch Atlanta, finishing 4th is a big advantage because it allows us to have have that extra home game.

"I am worried the recent success and these injuries could cause another trade."

I really hope Joe doesn't go all out at this years Trade Deadline because there's definately a lot of temptation, I wouln't mind a small trade that benefits the team although something big is the last thing we want, if we're to make wholesale changes please do them in the off-season so we can bond or get familiar before the season starts.