At Portland TrailBlazers Jan. 7th, 10:00 PM

Discussion in 'January 2009' started by Dlev59, Dec 31, 2008.

1. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

What happened?

4 hours ago you were saying this
    It seemed to me after reading your first post that you thought he did a decent job, but now you're marching him off to the woodshed.

What changed?

2. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Lots of good comments...

It was a strange game in a lot of ways...

- Pistons shooting by quarter - 0.632 / 0.563 / 0.471 / 0.350
    Tired? Perhaps so. I remember around the six minute mark of the third thinking it was time to get some folks out of the game to keep legs fresh for the fourth. Nope, MC ran them into the ground as Lee says.

- Starting guards shot 32% (31 FGA), the rest of the team 63% (41 FGA)
    AI looked good in the second (3-3), but Stuck floundered all night, both shooting badly and repeatedly crashing into the Portland defense.

- The game was lost on an 11-2 Portland run that took away most of the lead starting halfway through the third, coinciding with AJ leaving the game with his 4th foul. Aldridge went off and it was neck and neck from that point on and no energy from the visitors. Maybe if Amir hadn't picked up two dumb early fouls he might have still been in the game and maybe the run doesn't happen. Bringing him back to pick up his 5th after the run was over seemed kind of silly.

And no, I don't think MC has ever heard of the two for one concept. If there was ever a place to make sure you got two decent shots, it was with forty-some seconds left in the 4th last night. Maybe the execution failed, but I didn't see any sense of urgency to get a good quick shot after the timeout.

P.S. Now for a toasted sesame with cream cheese.

3. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Listen Roscoe, I have to get up at 5:30 AM, kids to school, etc. I cannot stay up until 1:00 AM on a weekday. In addition, I am a school counselor. I have to be alert and awake. That being said, I will not dvr anymore.

4. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I am having the multigrain bagel from Starbucks right now. Great bagel, toasted with a little butter.

5. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think he realized it wouldn't do to admit that Curry did what Lee has been calling for and we lost. :sssh:

6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

What do the Pistons need to do to get a bleeping bleeping foul call going to the hoop?

Will there be one game this year where they shoot more foul shots than their opponent?

Watched the entire game on LP with the picture breaking up and the announcers sounding like robots.

7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Hey, don't get all salty guys. Next time we will beat the Trailbagels. :6shoot:

8. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

I actually loved that the Pistons were pressured a lot. This will get them playoff ready....in a positive way.

And just because AI did sort of bad towards the end, doesn't mean that Rip now has to start...

If anything play Rip more at the end for the FTs.

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You know what really wasn't working well last night? When Tay played point forward. If you have game film, cue it back up and look at these possessions.

Every single one of them resulted in Tay dribbling up the court carefully with his back to the basket, defender tight on his back, and AI doing a full circle around the baseline to eventually come to the top and take the hand-off from him. Each time this happened, AI got the ball with approximately 11 seconds, tried to penetrate, hit a dead-end, and we ended up forcing a terrible shot.

Tay can avoid turnovers at the point, but he can't be a threat to score because the defenders don't have to give him any space.

One other nit. What is the point in taking Amir out of the game with 5 fouls? I know he's fouling a lot and all, but don't artificially foul him out of the game if he's so helpful. Last night was typical for him in that he led the team in +/- in his 17 minutes of hacking. As a result of his 5 fouls, the Blazers made 4 free throws.

Foul 1- sort of needless. He touched Aldridge's hand barely after the release of a jump shot.

Foul 2- intentional bear hug on G.O. This is a good example of what he shouldn't do. Not his man, too late to help, and fouling a strong 7 footer from behind on a dunk attempt never works. Picking up foul #2 so early in a game when you've had recent foul struggles is really self defeating.

After that, he was at the mercy of the refs and either had to play passive or just say fouls be damned. Of course he chose the latter and so many fouls ensued that MC lost count and accidentally pulled him before Amir could deliver the game winning 6th foul, offensive rebound, or altered shot.

10. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

maybe go old school and get a vcr? maybe the luck won't carry over :frusty:

11. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

There is no next time...they just swept the season series.

12. dba

And yeah, it only takes a couple of early dumber fouls and he's sunk. The four spot is going to pick up fouls so he can't use them up with non-productive ones.

13. AI IS GOD

AI IS GOD Second Round Draft Pick

Only teams that intrest me from west is new orleans, spurs and lakers. we beat two of them. One of those three will be in the finals.

From east Orlando, Clevland, Boston & Atlanta intrest me.we beat 2 of those, lose 2 of those.

14. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Its a good lose in that Stuckey is now getting attention paid to him, and now he has 3 months to learn to deal with it. we have players not used to being in the 4th quarter pressure situations learning to play close games.

Note to refs... Amir fouls enough on his own you don't need to call phantom fouls.... "I'm running away from the play and get backed into and I committed a foul..... ?"

Yet another game that we could have really used the good max.... why does he only show up once ever 7-10 days... Lee has commented on how he has been great in some of our best wins of the year, and I agree... to bad he has to balance it out with so many duds in between.

When sheed's back, I just don't see Max being given mins.. he's not earning them now, that and McDyess's mins can get back down to the 18-20 where I think he's best. Brown on the other hand has, he is what he is but he seems to be fitting in nicely, and our guards are getting better at giving him dump off passes that he can handle. AI in particular is doing a nice job at that.

Rip being back will hopefully cut Prince, AI, and Stuckeys mins back by close to 10 each.... that way AA should keep his mins that he's earned.

I don't know I come out of last nights lose more positive then a few of our wins in the last 2 weeks.... we can't win them all folks.

15. dba

Interesting point. Stuckey got discovered by the league at the end of last year and saw some new things when this season started and I think did adapt. Everyone though will see tape of last night and how well Portland trapped him. I think you're right - time for the next step on the growth curve.

16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I've got an English muffin with some aged white cheddar.

NYP, I am of course kidding. You are very superstitious about that dvr. Also, I'm not advising causing disharmony in the home. The Pistons have to learn to play through it, just like they played through the podcast. ;)

Probably not. At this point, I'm trying to convince myself Joe has bribed the refs to call all these fouls to create artifical adversity.

Yeah, I'm just kidding myself.

Yup. I'm happy Stuck saw this tonight, and not in the first round of the playoffs.

Nate McMillan is a very smart coach.

17. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

This was the first game where I really thought we were severely undermanned and really needed RIP and Sheed. In what capacity and when is up for debate, but they both would have had a positive influence - at least a 2 point one

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Any good PG will punish the defense for swarming around him. Stuckey will surely adjust to this. If you get triple teamed and you have AI on the court with you, it's really not too difficult to find the answer.

19. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

only watched bits and pieces at the bar, but judging by the comments i'm looking forward to seeing the game when i watch it later tonight!

20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Awesome game. I had a blast watching it.