At Portland TrailBlazers Jan. 7th, 10:00 PM

Discussion in 'January 2009' started by Dlev59, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I like your post. Yes, with all that, we still missed a win by the two inches or so that shot by AI was long. Man would we all be cheering right now if that went in. Darn.
  2. max

max All-Star

That was a very tough shot by Outlaw. Plus you had Aldridge draining jumpers for most of the game.

What killed us was that stretch of not sharing the ball. Still was a very close game.

Can't win them all. Hopefully this will light more of a fire for the Denver game. If I had to pick I would definetly prefer to beat Denver - and not just because I don't want to see 10,000 posts about the CB trade.

Tough loss though. I thought they were going to pull it out.
  3. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

and i know Stuckey has to play against the trap smarter, but isn't it the teammates responsibility to help him out a little? You know, the nearest man has to come to the ball handler to bail him out.

Our guys were just standing around, waiting for Stuckey to break out of it. Like they were waiting for the ball so they can take the shot themselves.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Right, which was why I thought it was a non-sequitur that with everything that happened, it suddenly illuminated that Rip starting is the answer. (pun intended)

We don't actually know anything about Rip starting with Stuckey and AI off the bench because it has never happened. And based on how well we have played the last 8 games, I don't think we're ever going to get the chance to find out, unless *knock on wood* AI gets hurt.

AI makes plays when his shot isnt falling. He also, doesn't cry and moan to the refs, and take stupid techs.

The game is much more enjoyable to watch without Chauncey and Rip running the same old plays, over and over. Playing keep away from Sheed and Tay with the ball.

This Pistons team is fun to watch, they work hard, and they are starting to learn how to win together.
  5. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

^Agreed. Nothing against Rip, but I personally think he should come off the bench when his groin gets better as well.
  6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Agree but that has been our MO to satnd around and watch both Stucley and AI ..that needs to be pointed out when they review the tapes tomorrow. Believe me the other teams will look at that tape and try the same thing if we don't help out.
    A west coast sweep would have been a nice confidence builder.

Does anyone know how and when Rip injured his groin? Was it during a game or on personal time?? We will probably need him or Sheed in one of these next two games if they are ready...
  7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Yes. If we executed a play and got Rip one of his "Sweet Spot" shots that he normally makes but tonight he missed them, I honestly have no problem with that.

I don't analyze whether we make shots or not, I look to see if we are executing and getting good shots. All my GRH talk is just talk, I was just clowining the dude, I type nothing that I wouldn't say to his face, although something tells me that Sheed probably clowned him alot harder for crying in the hotel room than I ever have.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Man, that was one frustrating game. Portland's defense actually looked pretty formidable there for a while. Stuckey was having a world of trouble. 5 turnovers and got blocked 3 times? Just flat out coughed up the ball and hit the floor a few times. They were trapping aggressively and seemed very fast recovering when they needed to. Earlier in the game, the zone was deterring Stuck and AI pretty well until we shot our way back to man to man.

The refs were a little shaky tonight too, both ways I thought.

And the other weird thing about this game was how many complete bail out shots were hit by both teams. Afflalo's 3-pointer followed by Dyess's long 2-pointer on consecutive broken possessions are just a small example. Stuck's airball to Kwame for the and-1, plus a bunch of similar escapes by Portland. This kind of phenomenon usually occurs during heated defensive battles, which is what we had here tonight.

Tough fouling performances from both Amir and Oden.

Fantastic game from Tay. Very solid game from Kwame Brown. And another crazy rebounding night from Dyess. There were a couple that he pulled down in the 4th quarter that were beast-like.

I'd like to see the quarter by quarter breakouts, because it seemed like we protected the ball well in the first half while Portland was sloppy and then it was a complete flip flop in the 2nd half. It's possible that Stuckey got a little rattled by the crowd and the defensive resistance. I'm not sure how he could have attacked offensively against this team. They seemed to have his number.

Aldridge is good.
  9. roscoe36

So is Nate McMillan. He took Stuckey out of his game with halftime adjustments.

Our only mismatch was with Tay at SF. With Blake owning AI, the bigger Fernandez was really good defensively on Stuckey.

I like that we only lost by 1 point and still held the Blazers under 90 on their home court.
  10. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Tough game to loose. AI hits that last shot and game over.

Pistons came out aggressive and didn't in the second half. Stuckey had a lot of pressure on him and he can expect that till the end of the season. Poor shooting from the guards tonight, especially AI.

Best game of the year for Tay and he did everything.

Rebounding and the Bigs did a great job (40/28)...didn't loose it there.

Shows that there will be very little wiggle room for the 1-2 combo not to have decent games for them to win on the road.

Did not see a zone tonight from the Pistons.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

By the way, does MC not believe in 2 for 1's? And I'm being serious. He might have a philosophy that you run your set and don't compromise it for a 2 for 1 op. It seems like every time we get the ball with 40 seconds left in a quarter, we put up a shot with 25 seconds left on the clock.

I thought about it for a while, and I figured out why this loss feels strange. This is the first time this year that we have lost a 1 possession game.

So far, our losses have been by:
    7, 12, 18, 18, 26, 11, 5, 12, 13, 6, 7 for an average loss of 11.3

and now finally, 1 point.

Also, we have only won two 1 possession games. Average winning margin = 8.1

What I'm trying to say is that since Sheed and Rip were out, this was a good pressure experience for our younger players.
  12. roscoe36

BillLaimbeer was pretty incensed about that. Between him and the bagel conversation, I was all stressed out at the end.
  13. boozy

boozy First Round Draft Pick

I agree 100%. That last triple team with stuckey's teamates standing around with their thumbs up their bums really irritated me. Also felt like the last play should have been either Tay backing into the post or Rodney driving into the post, not to say that if A.I. had made it that I would not be giving him his props ;()

All in all an impressive little win streak. If you consider taking a star SG/SF and PF/C combo from any other team I think they would be hard pressed to win 7, almost 8 straight.
    I do not see the..
    Lakers minus Kobe and Gasol
    Celtics minus Pierce and Garnet
    Cavs minus Lebron and (pick 1..no other stars)
    Heat minus Wade and Marion
    ect....winning 7 straight
  14. max

max All-Star

Good percpective. I am almost positive that Aldridge would not have had that kind of game if Sheed was playing. Rip would have been great to have in the 4th quarter. They were missing Roy but I would say we were still at the disadvantage being a 2 for 1.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Aldridge goes off against Sheed every time.

Regarding the triple teams, isn't that what you want them to do to your point guard 25 feet away from the basket? Stuckey needed to make them pay by luring them in and then passing his way out of it. Most of the time tonight, he tried dribbling his way out.

He needs to check those shoes too. Those things were like roller blades out there.
  16. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It was a tough game to lose, but once the blazers erased the deficit and got back in it at the end of the third and it became anybodys game until the end.

That means a missed defensive assignment, (Alf on Outlaw in the end), a missed rebound, (the only one that Dice missed with 20 seconds left in the game and swiped by Fernandez) or even the missed Afllolo technical FT in crunch time swung the game in favor of the Blazers.

Our point diffferetial is less than three points and these latest two games >a 1 point victory and then 1 point loss is confirming it. We had two chances to extend the lead beyond 14 points, >>>once with about 3 minutes before the half and then about 4 minutes into the 3rd quarter when we were up 13, but a couple of mistakes on both the offensive and defensive ends led to runs by the Blazers that we could not stop. In both instances, MC may have been a play or two to late in calling a time out.

Funny but during that 7 game winning streak, we had only one game with a double digit win and that was a 11 point win over John Hollinger's super team Milwaukee Bucks. The defense has been great, but we are just missing those key short range jumpers from rip and those 3 balls from Sheed for those extra buckets that would have guaranteed some more double digit victories.

This weeks meaningless stat??

Pistons affter going 0-6 on Sundays finally win a Sunday game

Tonight after going 6-0 on Wednesdays this season, the Pistons finally lose a Wednesday night game. :sssh:

e
  17. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Something about our spacing seemed very bad tonight. The floor just looked cluttered all night offensively. Obviously, Portland's D had something to do with it, but I couldn't help but notice that there were 3 guys around our guards as soon as they got within about 15 feet. It killed Stuckey's game entirely, and AI was just fine with launching off-balance shots from 20 feet all night (not a good thing).

By the way, Stuckey.... He was noticeably low on energy tonight. Just his body language looked tired, and seemed to lead to some sloppy ball handling. Those 40+ minute nights are starting to add up on a guy who is used to 20-ish. It's going to have to come down whether we like it or not.

Anyways, I'm glad we faced a team that overplayed a bit more on defense ala Boston/Cleveland. Have to get used to trying to score against that.
  18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Tay and AI played 44 minutes each. Neither sat at all in the 2nd half. That is poor management. Poor coaching.

Regardless of what else Curry did or did not do in this game, he failed to understand that players play better in crunch time when they have had some rest during the half.

AI is not 22 any more. Someone needs to get him the message, and send a copy to Curry.

And someone needs to make Curry understand the consequences of continuing to play Prince these kind of minutes. It ain't going to be pretty when the playoffs arrive and Tay can't play worth a darn.

Meanwhile, yes, Stuckey is young, but that does not make him automatically able to handle 40 minute games either.

Sure, someday, Rip will come back. But the time is now to address this issue. There is just no excuse to overplay your players. Not for regular season wins. When the playoffs get here, sure, do what it takes. But for now, find a rotation that works, to where each player gets some rest in each half of the game. Until Curry has done that, he has not even began to be a good coach.
  19. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

this is all theoretical stuff. In reality, meanwhile:
    1. Every win counts now.
    2. you can't have everything.I mean, there is no solutions from bench for every possible situation.
    3. at current situation there is no good tay substitution - til rip returns ( hopeful scenario)
    4. who are those young players who need some "special" development: neither AA or Stuckey fall into that category: both players are quite busy anyway.
  20. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Did I miss the part where this team hasn't been flummoxed by the zone for years now with Richard Hamilton as the starting 2 guard on the team?

Now are we really going to pretend that Hamilton is the great zone buster? :faint2: