At Portland November 13th, 10:00PM

Discussion in 'November 2007' started by Dlev59, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

KGREG, I feel you on the ball reversal. Sheed is the only one who'll do it. The rest kill it at the top of the key. Amazingly, not only don't they reverse the ball, but they won't throw it back into the post either.

I would like to see Rip come off the bench. I think it would help keep the starters minutes down and develop the bench. After the first few games I thought Rip could be DET's Manu. Then I saw Rip play this year. Ginobli can finish strong at the hoop almost at will, play good D and get under players skin. Rip can't finish at the basket, fouls continually on D and lets people get under his skin all the while denying it. It's Rip against the world.

From the good to the bad DET has no identity, no concepts to guide them. Every game is a blank slate. They exploit whatever mismatches the starters have (The good), but they have no rotation and no set principles on either end of the floor. This is why their bench has difficulty contributing. There is no A to B to C type flow for them to cling to. The need to excel in the same formless read and react model that the starters can. If they were that good they wouldn't be coming off the bench.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Let's not lose sight of the fact that our starters as a group are about +7 points per game. Rip leads that group.

They are doing a lot of things right.

Rip had 1 bad game, but he got so many good looks, that I can't fault him for thinking that he could get it going. If he would have made all those chip ins, then he would have shot 50% and it would have been another W for us.

However, the prospect of sacrificing a little bit of the starting lineup's effectiveness to boost the bench intrigues me. To get an all-star player to do that would take more gumption than Flip is capable of mustering I'm afraid.
  3. max

max All-Star

Different year. You can write off one post-season collapse but not 2 in a row. I think we all want to see something different so the results will be different. So far Flip has not been implementing the game plan they talked about over the summer.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The plan looked solid in the first two games.

Since then, it's been more same old, same old. Long starter minutes, inconsistent bench contributions and stagnant offense.

The worst part is playing poorly on a day's rest. We're better than that.
  5. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

great post
  6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The problem with Flip is he wants to start his best five and play his best five believing the hype that they may be the best starting five in basket ball. The best five don't have to start and play together..because what's happening on this road trip is that they are all getting worn out together.

If this road trip turns out to be 1-4 or 2-3, after going up against teams that were 6-30? then I say [strike]Flip[/strike] Joe needs to shake up things and have Flip start JMAX and dare I say Flip Jr or AA , and then have Rip and Dice come in with the second unit. I say Joe has to do this because I don't think Flip has the basketbalz to do it.

Changing the lineup allows Tay to get off with Sheed and CB starting the game and Rip and Dice can be the inside outside combo from the bench.

The problem with Flip is that he makes the starters play the first 9 minutes of the 1st and 3rd quarters as if he has no bench to put in. In the Sonic game he played Rip and Cb the whole 3rd quarter despite the fact the Pistons were sitting on 19 point lead...Why????

I am on the starter to the bench bandwagon, just look at JT and Manu for proof that it works [strike]Flip.[/strike] Joe. :)
  7. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I also agree the starting line up needs to be shaken. I just don't think you can send Rip to the bench. The offense has revolved around his hot jump shooting since Flip got here. If you were to send him to the bench; the team would have LESS identity then they currently have; which is about zero. They would struggle horribly out of the gate in every game and be playing from behind a majority of the 74 game season (8 already done). This would take its toll on player development, minutes and I think team chemistry.

Tay is the one that needs to move to the bench. There is no identity for the bench yet. Stuckey has been out and AJ is still trying to get minutes. Tay could join this unitt and solidify them. Imagine Rod, AA, Tay, AJ and MAX on the floor together pushing the ball up the floor. The starters could set a pace and the bench would be able to come in and raise it a few notches. Tay could get some of those open court jams and still be able to back down in the post against a second team small forward when we really need a bucket(Free Chili). Tay could become the type of player that Sheed has become for the starters except at a different position. We would have Sheed to go to in the post or step out and take the three with the starters and Tay with the bench to do the same.

The more I write about it; the more I like it. Maybe needs its own thread to discuss?
  8. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

At the press conference to announce the change, the team gives out free bowls of chili.

Bad Boy Bill steps up to the mike:
  9. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

LOVE IT! Now that's what I am talking about.