At Portland November 13th, 10:00PM

Discussion in 'November 2007' started by Dlev59, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

At Portland November 13th, 10:00PM

TV - FSN Detroit, NBALP

The Pistons face the new look young, run and gun Trailblazers. They are a streaky group, dropping thier first three on the road and winning the next three at home. Roy, Webster, and Aldridge are a handful for anybody.
  2. adonis

adonis First Round Draft Pick

Well, they beat the Mavs.
  3. nenerojer

nenerojer First Round Draft Pick

True ..tonight will not be an easy game, I hope not grant much like to seattle in 3 and 4 quarter...PISTONS FOREVER
  4. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Chat's open for the game.
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

6. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Ok, I've waited long enough. I've given them a chance. Experiment over.

I really dislike Nazr and both Flips.

I like Hayes.
  7. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    This game was lost because all the offense was going through Rip. He took quite a few bad shots he made poor decisions with the ball. He took too many shots in the context of the game. He was on the court with the 2nd unit in the 2nd quarter and for some reason looked like he was going to do all the scoring out there. Portland went on a run and Flip ended up putting the starters in. Tay with 42 min, Sheed with 41 min, and Rip with 40 min. Bench didn't stand a chance in this game. Sheed was slacking off on defense too. Pistons couldn't cut off the penetration. That led to 55% shooting by Portland. Mohammed was dreadful. Flip was his usual self.
  8. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Terrible rotations left our offense disjointed. Why was Hayes in for key minutes?

Only Maxiel brought some energy on the front line. He needs more minutes. Sheed was in a funk so why no Amir?

Trends: Nazi and Dyss can not get rebounds that don't fall onto their heads. Maxiel defends but doesn't board that well. Translation: yes, we are going to need a big. Prisbilla dominated us.

Why can every guard drive on us so easily? Is this a coaching or personnel problem? I would have used Afflalo to stop the defensive bleeding tonight.

Rip was off from the get-go so he gets 19 shots. Great coaching.
  9. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Sheed is playing way too many minutes...he looked very tired in the 3rd and 4th quarters....Rip was simply horrible. I guess in an 82 game season, this happens.
    The dribble penetration was killing us. Sheed and McDyess will be useless after 40 games.
    You need someone defensive minded in the backcourt; and yes, flip saunders needs to be fired; just is not a good coach; no philosophy; coaches very scared and disjointed. the entire second half seemed out of sync.
  10. mikhail1973

If they're that bad - take them out of the game. That's why we have players on the bench.
  11. NYPistonFan729

Flip is unable to make a decision like that, it is early in the season. If things are not working, try something different.
  12. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Flippin Flip played the starters the entire 3rd qtr??? CB came out with less than minute left, but that is only because he was hurting. Once again our guys looked winded near the end of the 3rd and once their bench came in we could not match theirs for intensity.

Wonder why Flip can't mix and match. It was obvious that Sheed was winded as he couldn't stop Aldridge one on one and no one could stop Chauncey's clone Jarret Jack. Message to Flip, bring a couple of those guys in at the 5 minute mark of the 3rd and stop riding the starters to the end. Tay and Sheed over 41 mins on the first night of a back to back?? Rip 40 mins. Afflow 4 mins, Amir -0- mins. Nate had 3 of his bench guys over 22 mins. If Flip can't use the bench, then either he or some of them need to go...

Rip missed 15 shots and it seem like the tide turned in the second qtr when the Pistons were up 38-32 and Rip received a wide open pass to the hoop and missed an ez-lay up by 3 feet.!!!! He could have practiced his dunking skills there he was so open... The Blazers grabbed the the rebound and ran off 10 straight and started to believe they could win...

Remember how hot Sheed was?? 13 pts in the 1st qtr and 2 after that. Jarvis Hayes played as if he was still on Wizards, playing little D and throwing away the ball in crunch time..
  13. jammertime

Flip Saunders: "What's a bench?"
  14. jammertime

Flip Saunders: "Wait a second. I know this one. That's where the starters sit during timeouts right? That's right. I remember now. Joe D hired some guys to sit in the chairs during the game to keep them warm for the starters. The shock of warm bottoms on a cold chair can be pretty severe when you've played the entire game."
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That little stint by Nazr was about as ugly as it gets. He looked like cold syrup out there. His drop in bucket and the rebound that fell in his lap were OK, but absolutely everything else he did just sucked.

Murray wasn't good either, but at least he did some good things.

You gotta hand it to Portland tonight. They made a ton of outside shots, they made Sheed look like a scarecrow on D, and they bothered us down the stretch with their defensive effort. They have some talented players who don't get bored making the same shot over and over.
  16. NYPistonFan729

If you can not play your bench on the 7th game of the year when will they play? This was a perfect time to play the bench because the starters were either hurt, tired, or shooting horribly. I just do not understand. He coaches like he is scared. Maybe he knows his job is on the line. I bet not one reporter asked him the tough questions.
  17. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

this was probably the worst-coached game i've ever seen by flip, and that's saying something. i normally don't get upset over regular season games or losses, but my goodness, this was atrocious...flat out terrible. this game was lost by 2 people - flip saunders and rip hamilton. i'll go to the coaching last and talk about the players first...

rip hamilton - GET OFF THE FLOOR. yeah, i know you scored 32 last night, i don't care. not only did you miss THREE bunnies, you took 20 shots and missed 15!!!! every other starter shot 50% but you were determined to keep driving the lane where you not only didn't finish, but made it difficult to get back on defense and left us at 4-on-5. it was 38-32 and you missed a layup that would've made it 40-32, then the guy you're supposed to be guarding comes down and scores to make it 38-34, a crucial 4-point swing that let the blazers right back into it.

afflalo - good use of your 5 minutes, playing excellent defense as always. you should've gotten a lot more time.

maxiell - awesome game...when flip let you play. 5 boards in only 14 minutes, 2/3 shooting, 2 blocks, no fouls, and no turnovers. wait, why only 14 minutes?!?!?!?

chauncey - no complaints about chauncey this year. played an excellent game, made tough shots, gutted it out while banged up, got a couple steals, 9 assists, 1 turnover, and made over 50% of his shots.

tay - average game, would've rather had you take 30 shots than 15, but it was kind of hard with rip doing his best flip-murray-ballhogging impression. but then toward the end of the game you routinely were too low on the block to get offensive rebounds and got bullied out of the way.

sheed - continues to be our best player every night. looked to be standing up a couple times on D and not going after guys in the paint, but that's because they were getting into the lane with too much ease and sheed was frustrated that no one else could check their man.

dice, flip murray - not your best. sure you shot okay, but neither contributed defensively or with smart plays. at least flip only took one bad shot (a jumper) and was able to change the pace a little bit.

nazr - didn't get enough time to determine.

hayes - plays well when not taking quick jumpers...much better at spot-up shooting and posting up. not a terrible game but not super great either.

now the coaching...by far the worst i've seen by flip in the regular season. how do you not make any in-game adjustments, or any half-time adjustments?? by the time you tried a zone D it was too late, and then you abandoned it after one made shot by portland. you don't try a pressuring defense until 3 minutes to go in the 4th quarter (which produced 2 quick turnovers), when your traditional defense was broken all game?? portland is a young team that will make mistakes, but you let the guys play soft D instead of applying pressure, and as a result portland was content with hitting jumper after jumper. do you not know how to defend a high pick-and-roll? portland shot 55 f'ing percent!!

how can you justify keeping rip hamilton in for 40 minutes when he's making bad play after bad play? yank him out of the game!! did you not see what was going on out there? take away rip and the rest of the team shot 50% !!!!

by far the most egregious bad judgment was at the end of the game, and the lineup of sheed/tay/hayes/rip/chauncey. we played good defense with that unit but there wasn't anyone there to rebound!! what, just because dice is out you can't let max play in crunch time? i counted 3 or 4 boards max would've pulled down, but instead we've got small forwards trying to snag rebounds over power forwards and centers. seriously how do you go with that lineup for the last 6 minutes and 40 seconds? i can understand pulling flip murray at that point, because not only did he miss a long jumper, but he let sergio (wtf) rodriguez drain a 3 and make it a 4-point game. but max should've been in those last 6 minutes.

pair maxiell with sheed, chauncey, tay, and hayes for those last 6 minutes and you come out with a W. instead of tay playing power forward, he gets his normal position and can work on guarding outlaw, while hayes plays shooting guard, which gives you the ability to post him up and have another rebounder and 3-point threat.

and what the heck is with the scared rotation changes? any time the game is close flip is afraid to take out the starters. this game was back-and-forth...oh no, better not take the starters out in the 3rd quarter!! the bench might *gasp* mess up! </sarcasm>

there were a lot of home-town calls that went portland's way, but this is a game detroit never should have lost. unfortunately you could tell from the 2nd quarter on that they'd either lose this game or have to win in the last minute.

just terrible all around. two thumbs down to rip and flip today.
  18. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Agreed. Nazr was a difference maker FOR portland.

Sheed was exhausted as were most of the other starters.

Also, Rip will continue to be unsuccessful until Flip starts running the curls/pick sets. He is NOT a slasher. Tay is going to continue to get lost if there is no ball movement.

I watch our offense and it's the equivalent of the players coming down the floor and just doing whatever they feel like. It's so disjointed, unstructered, and we take way too many jumpshots. Jumpshots are not going to fall with tired legs.

I won't even bother talking about the defense b/c well we didn't play any. Our pick and roll defense was painful.

No Amir/Afflalo 4 min (and the only guy who could defend PORT guards)

Joe D better be prepared to back his word up.
  19. NYPistonFan729

Just poor coaching. I am a Pistons fan, but we need a new coach. This game showed it more than most, it leaves you speechless.
  20. mikhail1973

I wonder if McCosky would ask Flip why he kept Rip in there so long when he was clearly stinking up the gym.