1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

At PHX - SUN Nov 16th 2008

Discussion in 'November 2008' started by roscoe36, Nov 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

You act like they won all three games handily. Both required coming back from large deficits, eerily bad defense, and just enough clutch plays to pull out the wins against 2 teams that probably won't even make the PO's. Yes, they won the Lakers game impressively, but they could just as easily be 1-3 or 2-2 on this trip.

We're still getting dominated in the paint, and letting other teams bigs go nuts, and this is with the top players playing heavy minutes. It was nice too see improvement and the Lakers performance was a much needed win, but they have alot to work on.

2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Note, Curry, for the most part, cut Afflalo out of the 2nd quarter rotation. We lost. When will he ever learn I wonder.

The biggest story of the game is Shaq throwing Stuckey to the ground, hard. Flagrant 2 called. Stuckey went in for the layup from the right, and Shaq got him across the shoulders and head pretty hard - no try for the ball at all. Shaq was tossed. Stuckey stayed down for a while but got up and ended up scoring 10 points in that 2nd quarter.

Now Stuckey looked out of control a lot. But he was taking the ball to the bucket over and over. Bynum got inside a couple of times himself. Kwame managed 3 dunks in the 1st quarter alone. But we did not get much more inside scoring than that.

Some good stuff. Kwame started the game defending Shaq quite well, and was bullying himself toward the basket for some easy scores. Got to like that. He fouled Shaq once, and Stoudemire once, so had to sit at about 6 minutes into the game. However, I am quite sure Shaq got thrown out of the game, so why did Kwame begin the 3rd quarter with no Shaq in the game to defend?

Sheed took a turn trying to guard Shaq and did not do nearly so well. Shaq is looking pretty good out there by the way. However, I believe that no, you don't ever go into a game vs. Shaq and decide to play him straight up every time. You got to throw random double teams on him, make him think. We did not do enough of this in the first quarter.

Here is another problem I am seeing. Our shot goes up, and nobody stays in position for the offensive rebound. It almost seems like Curry is employing Carlisle's completely dummied down strategy of having everyone run back automatically when our shot goes up. This only promotes the other team to fast break after a while, since they soon learn what - that they only need keep a couple of guys back to collect the bound, everyone else is free to go off to the races.

Another problem. Going small, letting the other team have mismatches in height to exploit. We did have a mini-run late in the 3rd, early 4th, to get the lead down to 9, and put us right back in the game - with a 3 guard rotation. (Bynum, Afflalo, Stuckey, Prince, Sheed.) Now, this is different, as you got good defenders out there. But we were doing a three guard with the likes of Rip and AI out there. Bad.

For way too much of the game, we did one and done's. An outside shot, with no rebounder in position. And we shot horribly for most of the game. Bad.

Let me see. I am sure I saw something else good from this game. Well, not much, except that Bynum got to play, and Amir played.

JMAX has not been hitting his outside jumpers for quite a while. Hint to Curry, JMAX gets going only with heavy minutes. If you want him to continually fail, keep his minutes short. Another hint - your best front line is Amir, JMAX, and Sheed. Try that sometime instead of going small.

JMAX had his highlights, but hey, with a guy like Amare who can shoot over you with good range, JMAX was the wrong guy for the job. I would rather have seen him body up on Shaq some.

Amir had a block, an offensive rebound or two. He missed an op to score inside, too quick on the shot.

AI had a bad night shooting, and had bad luck connecting with his teammates.

Rip hit a few shots, but easily wins the brainfart award for that lazy pass to Phoenix. Hey, mistakes are one thing, but Rip has been flat out stinking it up with his passing game. Get over the mourning Rip, there is a championship to be won.

Still, in all, 3 of 4 on a West coast trip ain't bad. I am not a professional athlete by any means, but I do a lot of exercise. I can tell you this, its not the next day that you really feel sore from overdoing it. Its the 2nd day. Detroit finished a back to back Friday night, where the starters played way too many minutes. Now here it is later, that 2nd day after overdoing it - the 3rd game in 4 nights. Its always tough to win those.

7-3 ain't so bad. GO PISTONS!!!!!

3. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Agree with Micro and Dre: we are not getting enough out of our young bigs: Maxiel and Amir. I am willing to wait and see how they develop. Amir was a bit better tonight. But Dre, right, we may have to package a deal for a bulky, experienced big by February. This team has too much going for it to be beat up on the front line.

I agree with Lee in that we are going small a bit too much. Maybe because Dyss is out. But Dyss alone is not going to be the answer.

Kwame has done well the last two games but he may not be enough in terms of front line help.

I was a bit disappointed in AI. When the shot is not there, do something else.

We have too many guards. Bynum needs some burn too. Where are the minutes? Is a trade for a big in the offing?

This was a predictable loss at the end of a trip to a good team.

4. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

One of those nights? I think so. Nobody ever sweeps those west coast road trips. and 56% percent is not normal.

I'm really lowering my expectations of Amir. He's not learning nearly fast enough. It's not like he hasn't had the time. And yes, days like these are the reason why Nuggets fans wanted to get rid of AI, but this was his first truly bad game with us.

5. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

I have no problem with Kwame Brown in the starting lineup as of now.

6. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

:pound:

Leave it to Sheed to put it in perspective (kinda)

7. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

8. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

A win is a win is a win. Despite everything you just said we still 7-3. Bostons and Cleveland as of right now are playing better basketball than us and they only have a one game lead over us this early in the season. If perfection is what you are seeking you may want to stop watching sports altogether. Patience is a learned virtue especially watching a team in great transition. Nothing happens overnite. Stop complaining.

9. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

AI has had games like that from time to time throughout whole career. It's just one of the things you're going to get when he's on your team.

Does anyone know how to look up the correlation between a player's shooting percentage and whether his team won the game? I bet it's very high for Iversion.

10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Chaunc would've whupped up on these guys.
    7-3 = .700 win %, I won't worry til it hits .599

11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

If Shaq had hit Chauncey like that, not that CB would have made a move that fast or aggressive, he probably would have retired.

12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Still we would've won the game. Rip with a huge nite.

13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

If every time we lose, you are going to be this ridiculous, it will be a long season.

HQ put it great in the chat and podcast last night. We probably got another 22 of these (losses). Get used to it.

14. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

No they aren't. Watch more basketball. I wasn't complaining. I stated how if they won the next two this game would be forgiven/forgotten. There are far more negative posts in this thread that you chose to ignore. Do us both a favor and ignore my posts as well. I really don't need lectures from the sunshine police.

15. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Didn't Shaq take out Amir with the same move last year? I rarely agree with the flagrant calls, but this one was right.

No worries with this loss. They were ineffective last night, but looked a lot better than at the start of the trip. They had no legs.

It should be noted that Amare scored 85% of his points on jumpers. He does go off on DET though. Who'll ever forget last year when he held Sheed to 10-10 shooting?

Amir & Maxey blow.

16. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Teams very rarely go undefeated on a West Road trip. 3-1 is great considering we expended a lot of energy taking out the league best Lakers. We are not going to win 75 games or not even 60 most likely. It is all about what we do in the playoffs. I would not be over concerned about it the loss.

17. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

Sorry for making you upset its just that your posts just stick out to me as the most negative besides maybe the Low's. We have had our disputes in the past in the chat so I dont attack him within the posts. I just dislike when fans nitpick at every little deficiency a team has without taking everythig into consideration. To me it shows a lack of realism in expectations. Everyone knows the weaknesses of this team, there is no need to beat a dead horse into the ground. The only thing the team can do is to recognize those weakness and SLOWLY improve upon them. Rome was not built in a day and neither will this team . I label myself more of a problem solver than the sunshine police, lmao. Problem solvers understand the problem but rather than mull over them all the time they try to find solutions. Sorry for expressing my opinion and this will be the last time I respond to one of your negative, unrealistic posts. :victory:

18. House Dressing

House Dressing Bench Warmer

I am amazed that Shaq was upset with the Flagrant 2 he got last night. I think that tubby turd has eaten so many King-Dongs that the lard is starting to back up into his head. Even if the NBA doesn't suspend him (and they should), the Suns should suspend him for jawing and swatting away at Terry Porter. Shaq was ticked off that Kwame Brown was beating him at being the more physical player. He was upset with the offensive foul call he got a couple of plays before. And when Stuck came around the screen, Shaq was looking for a little payback. If you combo this ridiculous foul with his actions in the Rockets game, you can bet that Shaq will be sitting for at least 3 games. He probably doesn't mind though. It will just give him more time to suck the jelly filling out of doughnuts.

Did I mention that Shaq is fat?

19. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Whoa....hold the phone....how did I get pulled into this? :confused:

All I can say in lpgrl's (and apparently my) defense is that what you perceive to be negative is our way of being problem solvers. We look at our deficiencies and see them as obstacles to winning a championship. Therefore they nag at us. They bug us. They drive us nuts. It's like having a hang nail, or something stuck in your teeth, or even having a thorn in your sock. Some people can just sit back and wait for those things to lodge themselves free over time. Us...we'd rather get it out right now and get back to being comfortable.

So, if we are appearing as negative to you...there's not much we can do about that. We want to see these issues addressed and fixed, and most often with a certain amount of hard work and attention to detail the problems CAN be fixed rather quickly without waiting 65 games into the year to see it happen. That's also where the phrase "too little, too late" comes from.

So, you trust the problems will solve themselves slowly over time...fair enough.

We think they should be tackled head on right now...I think that's also fair. I hardly see wanting to address a problem BEFORE it comes back to haunt you as being unrealistic. I think there's more than one way to be a "problem solver."

20. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

In an unrelated note.... (okay, it isn't entirely unrelated :p)

I tried to use the "ignore" function on myself.

Why doesn't this work?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.