at Phoenix Suns Sunday November 22 8:00 pm

Discussion in 'November 2009' started by roscoe36, Nov 2, 2009.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Does Joe have any other pictures of Ainge he can black mail him into swapping Stuckey for Rondo??
  2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I'm starting to think we would have gotten the better of that trade had Joe accepted it.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I would trade Chauncey Billups for Rondo right now. I think he's a top 5 PG in the NBA at the beginning of his career.
  4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Rondo hasn't played very well since he signed his deal. How many points could he average though if he played with his head down and looked to drive 90+% of the time he was on the court.

KGREG, I think you were the 1st one to point out (unless it was Merc) that Stuckey would be murder off the bench and I agree. The point of my post wasn't to pile on, but rather to point out that he kind of does what he does and that is it.

TaS, how are you defining a Stuckey jumper? It feels like you might be lumping his power drives in with these somehow. That is reputed to be his strength, but........

Good posts everyone.
  5. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

The determining factor in whether or not the AI/Chuancey deal was a good one was not about how well the team did with AI, it was whether or not Stuckey could replace Billups at the point, not looking good so far. Seems as if we had Stuckey in the perfect position when we drafted him, the 3rd guard in a 3 guard rotation.
  6. raxrets

raxrets Starter

I'd like to see this team at full health 10-20 games before making noisy statements.

IMO ppl are expecting too much from Stuckey.

players obviously do not trust each other and for me all this "soul searching" is time consuming.

It is funny how before the season everyone preaches patience and low expectations, yet after 15 games many are already demanding trades, calling GM out, making "bold statements".

For me Stuckey struggling is natural reflection of raw team. Did I say "team?" this is not even "team" now.

Did you really expect Stuckey play like Wade? C'mon, get real...
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

They are very different players. I'm just showing Rondo as another example of a young point guard with a below average J. He's the closest to Stuckey that I could find in terms of FG% from outside the paint.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I just looked at what eFG he averages on shots attempted outside the paint. For this analysis, I backed out all of the times that he gets blocked, and showed the percentage that he hits when his shot leaves his hands.

After all, you might have great shooting mechanics and never get your shot off in the NBA because you're 5'9". Doesn't mean you have a bad shot.

But with Stuckey, even after adjusting for his blocks, he still has a relatively low conversion rate on his J's.

Also, I agree with Dre, in that there does seem to be a pattern where his shot gets worse and worse as the game goes on. Maybe it's just false perception, but it's something I have thought to myself as well.
  9. max

max All-Star

One would think that all this stuff we are noticing about Stuckeys game that the coaching staff has to be pointing out to him. Thing is he keeps on playing the same way game after game after game.
  10. S.J.

S.J. Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I'm a Pistons Fans since I knew What Basketball was and began to watch NBA.. I'm talking about 10-9 years ago when I was 11-10 years old..

And I have seen Last years Pistons, but Last year even I was blaming Curry, A.I. , Sheed.. and sometimes Stuckey or Rip or Tay.

But I don't know.. maybe I expected too much since July from this year's Pistons..

Maybe it's my fault.
  11. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I doubt the coaches are nagging him to death like we are on here.
  12. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

The whole dynamic of this team will change when Rip and Tay come back. The question is; will it chnge for the better or worse? Will these first 20 games or so be something we will build off of or will we go in a completely different direction once they return.

My hope is that we can work them both back into the lineup slowly so there is a transition period from where we are now to where we want to be. I am hoping that Rip and Tay come off the bench for the first 5-10 games that they are available and get worked into the rotation.

Gradually we will see Stuckey's shot attempts go down and hopefully the selection of those shots go up. Right now he, BG and CV are the only weapons we have in the starting lineup (possibly on the squad). When we go to the bench, one of those weapons is removed so the pressure increases on the remaining players on the floor.

If the rooks gain more confidence and begin being assertive offensively; this would also help with the mindset of Stuck and Bynum. They both feel they need to force the action by driving the paint because most times they are the scorers on the floor. Defenses are sagging off JJ and Ben to help out.

If we can have at least three scoring threats on the floor at all times, Stuck and Bynum will have better numbers. We just don't have those weapons at our disposal right now.

The whole dynamic of this team will change once Rip and Tay come back.
  13. Ernie the Slow Adult

This is from today's DetNews. Stuckey hasn't had a lot of mentoring learning the PG position, but I guess it is better late then never.

This is another negative of the Billups trade.

Pistons' 0-4 trip highlights shortcomings | detnews.com | The Detroit News
  14. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

With the right tutoring, Stucky will get the PG position down pat and give Brandon Jennings a run for his money in Rookie of the Year voting.
  15. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I wonder if passing is considered a nuance of the game.
  16. Ernie the Slow Adult

:pound::pound::pound:
  17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think it was discotom who made the comment about how Nash sees the court, similar to how a halfback might see the soccer field.

Stuckey's problem when driving with his head down and playing the point is vision. He's not seeing the whole court. You can get around that if you are a magnificent shooter or have a post up game.

Bynum on the other hand can see the court, but he chooses to only look at the rim.
  18. max

max All-Star

Stuckey is a very talented guy. You once made a joke on how the Pistons offense is pretty much about shooting the ball as soon as you get it. I had an opportunity to hear the Jazz broadcast from a Sirus channed that had their home announcers last Sat night while I was driving. Their guy summed up the Piston offense as a lot of one and one without a lot of passing. Unbiased outsiders opinion there.

The Billups trade severed the head off the old Pistons. CB was the brains of the outfit and we are lost until someone else steps up who can run this team. Luckely we do have 2 fine young gurds who are capable of playing the PG - if they only wanted to. Not that they don't want to play as Roscoe pointed out with Bynum they seemingly are mainly looking for their own shots before anyone else's most of the time. This has to change if we are to salvage something out of this season. The Assists have to pickup - there is no other option.

I still remain confident. Perhaps a bit biased but confident all the same.
  19. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I played PG in high school and used to do the same thing that Stuck does. I'd barrel into the lane with my head down and miss a ton of easy assists for my team mates. It took me about 3 years (until my senior season) to break this habit.

Hopefully Stuck doesn't squander 75% of his playing career learning how to see the floor like I did.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Even with the faults, it is nice to see aggression from our guards. I love it when Bynum and Stuckey start getting to the rim. It seems like we never used to get that.

I just want to do a quick calculation to see how much better the Pistons would be if Stuckey shot the ball as well as ____. Let's pick Jason Kidd since I've already look at his eFG.

Stuck shoots 16.0 shots per 48 minutes
    He averages 37.44 mpg, or 78% of the 48 min.
    Of his shot attempts, 71% are jump shots.
    He averages .744 points per jump shot (ignoring ones where he is fouled).
    Jason Kidd averages 1.026 points per jump shot.

This means that in a typical game for the Pistons, Stuckey takes 8.86 jump shots (16.0 x .78 x .71 = 8.86).

On those 8.86 jump, Stuckey averages 6.6 points for the Pistons.

If he had Kidd's J, then he would average 9.1 points for us on the exact same number of attempts.

This is a difference of 2.5 points per game through efficiency alone... which is probably why Stuck worked on his jumper all summer.

Adjusting for our slow pace and moving it to 100 possessions, that is 2.85 points per game that his inneficiency costs us.

Right now, we score 104.7 and give up 107.2 per 100 possessions. Our offensive rank is 20th in the league.

If Stuckey would have shot like Jason Kidd this year, then we would be scoring 107.6 and give up 107.2 per game (above break even). Our offensive rank would be 14th, just behind Cleveland and just ahead of Boston.