at Phoenix Suns Sunday November 22 8:00 pm

Discussion in 'November 2009' started by roscoe36, Nov 2, 2009.

1. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Arizona has the death penalty, right?
  2. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

At first I was like; "Who is that guy!? ...Dude is ACTIVE!"

...Then after he gave up a couple of flat footed blow-by's on D, I realized that it was just "Weezy being Weezy".
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Nashie really is something else. It is hard to believe that he is playing the same position as some of the Pistons.
  4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

UGG-LEE.
    Rodney Suckey.
    The funniest thing to watch is our bigs ACTING like they're showing on the P&R, hilarious.
    I've never seen Bynum look that awful defensively.
    Should Summers start over JJ until Tay gets back. JJ gives more hustle but his utter refusal to shoot the ball hurts us more than his hustle helps us.
    Just a work in progress, so there's going to be nights like this.
  5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Summers just started getting time for whatever reason so they must feel he is not ready in some capacity. He does seem to fill a need though.
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

At one point, Stuckey was 4-15 with no FTs taken. He was leading the team in shots, and couldn't get to the line.

He's so ridiculously far from Dwyane Wade, that if anyone ever brings that comparison up, they should be heckled.

Anyway, the refs were bad last night, it seemed like nearly every call went PHX's way (and the box score bears that out). But still, Stuckey is just baaddd right now. And in his 3rd year, he's not showing signs that he is a quality starter on a good team.

How long will Joe continue to force the issue?
  7. baller

baller First Round Draft Pick

I think JJ looked more comfortable in his offense this game, he made some nice moves and I know there is more to him offensively then it might look like. It was the same way in the beginning of the season i Italy and here in Sweden. He grew as the season went along. I admit his triple is cold, as is hes free throws but at least hes drives are coming a long and thats a good start.

I think Summers looks very interesting, more than Daye and I think he should get more consistent minutes. But non of them will bring the D that JJ does and it saves them so many points.

I think there is a general missconception in USA that hustle and defense is the same thing. Offcourse it's combined more than hustle and offense but defense is so much more than just trying hard, it's knowing where to be, when to help, how to play on the edge of what's allowed and so on.
  8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Those rookies. whether it is JJ, Summers or Daye cannot be afraid to shoot, and they cannot be hanging out on the perimeter afraid to get involved. (Like passive Tay).

There was one sequence where JJ passed the ball to Ben of all people with less than 4 seconds on the shot clock....

As long as they are afraid to shoot. Stuckey and Bynum will never pass the rock to them.
  9. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good point.
  10. baller

I agree and on that point Daye and Summers is ahead of JJ. I'm also waiting for him to get more comfortable on his shot. I'm just saying that I think it's moving in the right direction.

When are Rip and/or Tay really getting back? I think I've read that they will be back "the next" game for several weeks now.
  11. baller

:)

(6 characters)
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Here are Stuckey's rank for totals on the season:

Min: 1st
    Pts: 2nd
    Reb: 3rd (great!)
    Ast: 1st (tied with Bynum)
    FTA: 2nd
    FG%: 11th (Yikes)

Different year, same problem. He doesn't shoot as high a percentage as other guards. Part of it is missing jump shots and part is getting blocked a ton.
  13. Ernie the Slow Adult

I don't think Stuckey's J is as bad as advertised. I'm not even certain that it has improved all much this year and he has been knocking them down for the most part.

Stuckey is a big guard with zero ability to post someone up. It is a borderline miracle that is took this many games for him to sail a pass into the crowd. He has one move, one objective and one speed when he goes to the hoop.

Stuckey is Stuckey, this isn't really his fault. The fault lies with the fans and with the team for having these expectations of him.

I think of Willie Green when I think of Stuckey becoming a star. Green is a solid player, he's big and strong with a nice J and he can take it to the hole. If he were allowed to start and get Stuckey's minutes he could probably post a not as impressive as it seems scoring average in the high teens.

If the 76'ers announced they were rebuilding around Green we would think they were crazy.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I've noticed that Stuckey has hit some jump shots. He's had a few streaks where they seemed to be consistent even.

But it's pretty easy to check and see how his average is tracking. Let's take times when he gets blocked out of the equation, since it is an extremely high 8% and that doesn't speak to his mechanics.

eFG on jump shots where the player gets the shot off:
    Stuckey: .404
    B. Gordon: .515
    W. Bynum: .473
    C. Villanueva: .451
    B. Wallace: .500
    Maxiell: .348
    Summers: .575
    K. Brown: .362

So, Stuckey's J is about .042 better than Kwame Brown's after pretending that he never gets blocked.

Bynum - Stuckey > Stuckey - Kwame

That means, if you were inbounding the ball with 1 second left and you saw Stuckey flash open and nobody else, you should probably consider calling a timeout... or if you're out of timeouts, throw the ball to the wide open Ben Wallace and live with the coin flip.
  15. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I'm still holding out some hope for Stuckey. His defense has improved...that's something...and I'm hoping he will shoot about half as many shots when Rip and Tay get back.

A pg can be effective even if he shoots 40%. Jason Kidd is a career 40% shooter.

Of course Kidd could teach our guy a thing or 2 about passing. Our maybe it's just something you have or you don't. Maybe it's genetic and TJ Kidd will be a great PG someday.

But at this point Stuckey doesn't seem interested in sharing the ball much.
  16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I'm so with you right now. Let's look at how Stuck does in 5 game stretches:
    1 he'll be really, really good.
    1 he'll be just regular good
    2 will be sub par
    1 will be awful.
    That's not a bad guy to have on your team, it's a helluva weapon, which is why I think that Rodney Stuckey could be one of the very best combo guards off the bench in the entire NBA, unfortunately he's our starting "franchise" PG.:doh:
    Excellent comparison. :p_welldone:
  17. LA Dre

If you go back and look at all the tapes,...or just remember the start of most games, Stuckey normally hits the first Piston bucket of the game as he comes down and launches a 15 -18 foot two hand jumper right out side the paint.

He may take two more of those and then try a layup or two get himself established, but then he seems get worse as the game goes....by the time second half starts, the defense knows his routine and then come the blocks and offensive fouls. You would think the Pistons could use him as decoy and have him drop it off to one of the bigs for an easy "possibly unblockable layup" by one of the big men.

But both he and Bynum seem to be on a mission to see who can score the most when they are out there. As long as Gordon is starting he should have more shots than Stuckey. When Rip comes back, he and Gordon should have more shots than Stuckey....
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Jason Kidd is shooting .513 eFG on his J's this year and hasn't been blocked a single time.

Last year he shot .528 and got blocked 1% of the time.

Kidd isn't a great shooter, but he is way better than Stuck + he has 3-point range.

For the record, by pointing this out, I'm not anti-Stuck. But we should realize where his deficiency is right now. He's a below average jump shooter and he doesn't pass like a PG.

On the plus side, he's big, strong, rebounds like a SF, and finishes through contact very well. And even though he isn't a very good shooter, he is able to him them occasionally, which keeps the defense from completely collapsing on him every time.

The best comparison I can think of for Stuckey and his weak J is Rondo. Last year Rondo shot an eFG of .375 on jump shots.

Even Green shot .440.
  19. LA Dre

Rondo probably has a higher assist average with Ray, Pierce and Kg on the squad, but I never see him get block that much either..
  20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Don't compare Stuckey to Rondo. There is nothing weak about Rondo's defense, and he is a superior passer. Not to mention, he plays within himself, and shoots somewhere near 50% from the field.