At Phoenix March 16th, 10:00 PM

Discussion in 'March 2007' started by Dlev59, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Sanddunes

Sanddunes First Round Draft Pick

Wow, what a game!! Who would have guessed. Rewind that baby and watch it again.... and again.
  2. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

MVP MVP MVP FLIP MURRAY!!!

I thought we were dead when CB went out. Anyone figure out what the crap was the T on Sheed for this time??
  3. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Unbelievable win by the Pistons tonight. Lowering the boom on Phoenix in their house like this is certainly the most surprising big win of the season, I'd say. The big story was the greatest game in the history of Flip Jr., 12-16 from the floor for 25 points, and with 6 steals! He was absolutely en fuego in the third quarter, and I think he even outscored Nash in that period (he did for the game, 25-20). In the open floor, and going to the hole, HQ's least favorite player flat out destroyed the Suns. CWebb spun and rolled to the hoop around everyone, 8-12 from the floor, and Sheed was 4-6 on 3s. Delfino had a huge game off the bench, 5-6 from the floor and 7 boards. Pistons only had 9 turnovers, but the Suns had 22 (!), which was why this game got out of control like it did.

The big concern is Chauncey going down with a groin pull, which is what allowed Flip Jr. to channel the ghost of World B. Free, as gazoo said in chat. Not sure what his status is yet for the next few games. Obviously we can't count on Murray playing anywhere near this well on any sort of consistent basis, but there were a couple of things the Pistons did tonight that you can't take away from them: active hands and good rotations on D, and CWebb exploiting the Suns' weak interior D. Those two factors will be huge if we end up seeing these guys in the finals.
  4. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!! and that enzyte is something else!!! but i digress,......

nash...8/9 fg's 20 pts
    diaw 5-5 fg
    amare 24 pts/15rebs

and we win by 70 pts!!!:pound: :pound:

despiTe:
    Rip 40 minutes and 6 pts
    Tay 7 pts
    Chauncey 13 minutes = pulled groin

this is why SHEED has to realize how important he is to this team. The one I hate was great tonite,but the MBP on both sides of the ball waas SHEED..
  5. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

SHEED said SON OF A BEACH but threw his hands to the ref after his big 3, and u JUST CANT DO THAT..if he just wouldve shaddup...........
  6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Wow. A slaughter of Phoenix making it a 5-0 road trip out west, something the Pistons have not done since 1992. Way to go Flip Murray, Sheed, Webber, Delfino. Dyess scored plenty too. I am sure Rip got some points in there somewhere. CB did some scoring before coming out mid 2nd quarter with a groin injury. By the look on Billups face, he seems quite dejected about the injury, so I am guessing it will a while before we see him in a game again. Good. We need him to sit a while and rest anyway. No I am not glad he got injured. I would much rather of had the coach give him some rest so the injury would not have happened.

Flip Murray made one bad shot on his way to at least 25 points. He also had about 5 steals, several rebounds, some slap aways that he will not get credit for in the stats. Except for maybe a trip or two, he played pretty good D on Nash too. Absolutely Flip Murray's best game as a Piston, probably his best since long ago in Seattle when had that really good streak. So who played backup point to Flip in the 2nd half? Nobody. Flip only came out for just over a minute. Delfino maybe ran about two plays during that time and Prince one I think. Now, when Flip came back in the game, they did have Delfino and Tay each run a play, probably to get him just a bit more of a break. Worked out pretty good as we went from 11 up to putting the game totally away a few minutes later.

Remember me mentioning Delfino getting into a habit of knocking down a three early 4th? He knocked down two of them in this 4th quarter, plus a few more buckets besides. Rebounding, coming up with loose balls, knocking the ball away. Hardly any missed shots from him. One of his misses was on a fast break where Murray cleaned up the miss. And as always, sound defense.

Dyess hit maybe one shot with range with the rest of his points coming close in. I think he ended up with about a dozen?

Chris Webber, if he made his free throws, would have yet another 20 point game. He fell short, not by much on double digit rebounds too. What a road trip for him. His only game with light scoring had him down for 8 assists. He had several more assists tonight. Oh and even if he does miss some free throws, he sure was getting Phoenix into foul trouble.

Sheed hit about 3 triples, scored inside too. Three blocks. We managed to keep them in a halfcourt game and Sheed was something fierce inside making them think twice the next time. Phoenix was reduced to a bunch of bad outside shots for the most part.

Flip got his scoring on good finishes off steals, a few outside shots where they left him open, and some good drives to the basket. A very under control game for him.

No Maxiell except for garbage time. Seems odd since Phoenix has no real center. But oh well, Delfino got plenty of time. As long as its not a trend I can live with it.

Sheed got a tech for absolutely nothing. He nailed a key three in the 4th that kind of put the game away, and pumped his fist a couple of times while running back. And some high fives as Phoenix called timeout. Totally bogus. Hope that gets rescinded but hey, they did not rescind the one for "ball don't lie." Is the league out to get Sheed or what. Funny, noone in the league can suggest such a thing without a fine. Some system.

Thats 3 straight games for Flip Murray playing well, and this his best ever as a Piston. After tonight, even I am starting to hope Flip Murray has changed. Lets all hope, we could use him in the playoffs if he truly has. That means never slacking on D, and not taking shots that are not there.

Delfino had one pretty nifty shot driving inside where he went under Stoudemire's arm and flipped it in off glass.

Webber got his posting up mostly, but did hit one outside shot with range, and twice just drove right on in and dunked on them. His reverse slam on one of those drives was really something. What knee surgery? GO PISTONS!!!!!I forgot to give props to Billups for running a very good game in the first half, keeping the game at our tempo-half court. That is in the end what won it for us.
  7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Missed the first half, but second half was so great I am not sure if I want rewind the dvr or not to watch the first. Great game, great chat GREAT win!!

On this five game western road trip the Pistons discover their defense, their bench, their perpensity for points in the paint (which has allowed them to shoot over 50% in the last four games) and yes that they had fans on the west coast who show up in droves to support them, and oh yeah that Flip Murray can really shoot when the other team plays no defense:)

I know it's premature, and the fact that both the Cavs and Heat are undefeated this month, but I think if the Pistons run the table the rest of the month which would include W's over the big four in the west, Flip garners another coach of the month award (despite the three L's). That would show the Mavs, Suns and Spurs that we can beat them in their own crib and a finals matchup is not going to be another potential west walkover...as all media is predicting (like they did in 04):stirthepot:
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Nice Leecap Lee.

I'm in awe of Flip Murray's performance tonight. Not that he isn't capable... we all heard that he is a streaky scorer... but this guy has been left for dead. Benched while they were openly trying to trade him. He had a wonderfully lazy look to him tonight like a pro golfer in a zone. A relaxed confidence I'll call it. And it wasn't only the made shots. It was the shot selection, passing, steals, and poise when the team really needed it. I am going to make a mental note of this and hold my proverbial tongue when he struggles again.

It's not just this game, but I want to reiterate my contention that all of these guys (Flip, Delfino, Nazr, Dale Davis, JMax) should be given consistency if nothing else. No matter how little playing time they get, they should be aware that their next chance is always coming and that they will be used to their strengths. I believe all 5 of them can contribute in meaningful ways if used correctly. We had the goon squad breakout, the steady emergence of Delfino, and now Flip Murray has made a deal with the Devil. Nazr is next.

And in conclusion, let's give some props to Mr. Flip Saunders. This was one of the first games this year that looked like we had a superior game-plan. Phoenix shoots > 50% and gets blown out? We slowed it down beautifully. We kept them from shooting 3's. When Nash drove into the paint, we didn't freak out and over-collapse on him. Our players looked like they were well prepped and motivated.

Chauncey... what's up with this guy's muscles? Kander is going to have a busy fortnight massaging another man's groin.
  9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Let's hope that now that they are flying home tonight, his wife can take care of that this weekend:sssh:......:)
  10. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I couldn't believe my eyes when I read on SI.com: Pistons blow out the Suns

:gun1: :winner_first_h4h:
  11. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Yes, baby. You all knew what this team was capable of. This Piston team is one mean machine when it is tuned up. Webber in the offense. Sheed animated. A real bench. Dysss looking young. Delfino now confident enough to bury shots.

And then there was Flip Murray. I watched those last two games and said: Is he for real? I asked you all on this very board. Did he learn to run the offense watching Chauncey?

I think we have found a back-up to Chauncey finally. His name is Flip Murray. Only one wild shot. Ok, the offense isn't quite as crisp but the guy can hit shots, big shots. He finishs better than Rip or Chauncey. I think we can find him some minutes for our back up.

I'm in with the Pistons for their third finals appearance in 4 years. Who said the east was weak?
  12. Sanddunes

"They did a great job of playing inside-out," Stoudemire said. "That's good old playoff basketball they played out there tonight, and we just stooped down to their level. We didn't have too many fast-break points. We didn't attack like we needed to."
  13. Sanddunes

14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

What a wonderful game. This could be the most perfect match of the season given the circumstances.
  15. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Its great to feel the positive vibe emanating from this win...and the road win streak. Some of those Sithy dudes even applied for a Jedi license.

"and you are...."
    "the DARK LORD of DISCONTENT"
    "and you want to become a jedi because..."
    "STFU and sign the application. We're winning!"
    "Thats not really a peaceful attitude...ackkkkkkk!"
    "I get to use this force choke thing until you hand me my green lightsaber."
    "out...of....g-green..."
    "funny thats what mr. D said when I asked him about signing Ben Wallace."
  16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Classic slippy.
  17. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Exhilirating win. Fantastic road swing by the boys. They played well in all 5 games.

What's up with Tay? He has not been looking very sharp.
  18. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

:pound: @ Slippy's Sith trip to the Jedi DMV.
  19. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

I dont know what's worse, Slippy.....Turning in my sith card or faking the funk so my nose won't grow!:pound:
  20. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

Whap! That’s my one word description of how much the Pistons dominated the Suns last night. It was such a fun night and boy if someone told me before the game started that Flip Murray was going to torch the Suns for 25 points and be player of the game I would have asked him to put the crack pipe away. I had fantastic seats (4th row center court behind the media table). I drove up to the game from Tucson with a friend of mine that is also a Pistons fan and he was very hesitant about wearing any Pistons gear. No worry on that front, there were plenty of Pistons jerseys representing, especially #1 Chauncey Billups. I was wearing my Carlos Delfino jersey and in the sea of season ticket holders in the primo seats we did stand out a bit.

I got in my seat about 40 minutes before tip-off and the Pistons were doing some last minute practicing. It’s almost surreal seeing the boys up close and they are an incredibly tight-knit and loose group. Chauncey uses this time to do some mentoring with Jason Maxiell, which warms my heart. At the half-court line, DD, CWebb and Sheed are all jacking up shots. Surprisingly DD’s shot doesn’t look half bad, I think he could make a few of those if he was in ever thrown in that position. Chris Webb on the other hand can hardly get that shot to even get near the basket with the weak stuff he was throwing up.

My attention was diverted by Greg Kelser smoosing with some of his buddies at the media table. I walked up to the area where he was standing and told him I was doing a write-up for the Pistons.forum and that Delfino was my favorite player. In that sing song voice of his he said “Delfino is very good, isn’t he?” Yah Baby! No argument from me on that account.

The U.S. Airways Arena is rocking. When did basketball become a sport for the attention deficit disorder poster children? There is so much going on with the dancers, players practicing, coaches milling around, blinkie neon lights and fan buzz. Going up my aisle to take his seat a few rows behind me and to the left I spy Jerry Colangelo (heee... I have better seats than he does). I pretty much laser beamed my attention on watching the Pistons but occasionally I would look over at the Suns lay-up line and Steve Nash is all business. He’s giving his guys encouragement and watching their lay-up line is a thing of precision. On the other hand the Pistons are doing their best imitation of the bad boys sneaking out of study hall and practicing lay-ups. Delfino puts crazy spin on his flip-up nonchalant toss in and little did I realize that’s a designed shot that he’ll he make later in the game.

The game is about to start and the Suns game announcer starts pumping up the volume and it’s quite the show introducing the starting line-ups. I was just thrilled to see in person the Pistons reserves during their circular war-dance (though Sheed was not in the middle whooping it up as he often does).

The game finally starts and as usual the Pistons let the other team get ahead and the two floor generals (Nash and Billups) are doing their best to dictate the flow of the game. I can read Chauncey’s lips as he’s dribbling up the court, “slow it down”, it’s evident the Pistons are going to try and impose their will on this team. Now I’m a big fan of the Pistons style, half-court grind it out but the Suns hate playing that way. I can feel as the flow of the game goes the Pistons way the atmosphere in the arena becomes less almost lethargic. The Suns just can’t run and gun and they start getting impatient. I’ve never seen so many traveling calls in my life and that’s because the Suns are in such a hurry to get something going and they just can’t figure out why they are open one minute and the next there’s someone contesting their shot. The Suns just haven’t run into a team that plays the style of Detroit and it really shows their weakness. Barbosa might be one of the fastest players in the NBA but in a half court game that speed doesn’t get you anywhere. If anything, Flip Murray looks to be the one that’s the “Brazilian Blur”, he’s everywhere with those fast hands stealing the ball. If anything I’m now convinced that Flip Jr. does now belong in the line-up, and not just because of last night’s game. He can get his own shot and he absolutely got any shot he wanted last night.

Other observations. In the 3rd quarter with a Flip Murray substitution in, Tay was on the floor and he thought that Flip was substituting for Delfino. It turned out he was being the one to sit and he instantly put a dark scowl on his face and went to the bench clearly annoyed. Flipper immediately walked down to the end of the bench where Tay was sitting and mouthed, “I’ll get you back in very soon”. The Pistons were up by 10 and then went on their crushing run and never looked back and Tay never got back in the game. I hope Tay moves on and doesn’t lock horns with Saunders over his playing time but it wasn’t pretty seeing that look.

This made me laugh: Mike Abdenour is just such an important cog in the wheel. The players rely on him to keep their uniforms and equipment where it should be. Players were peeling off their jerseys and tossing them at Abdenour like he was their Cub Scout den mother. He absolutely rules the little ledge area where the talc dispenser and Rip’s mask sit. I saw Carlos walk up to him near that ledge area asking him about something. Mike said “no, I don’t have” and then Carlos nodded and selected an object from the ledge and it was a stick of gum. So Abdenour is the keeper of Carlo’s chewing gum and he was out of his favorite flavor.

Last observation: Heading out of the arena with the very dispirited Sun’s fans I kept hearing this loud yell of, “Detrooooit Basketbaaaaalll” and that was the perfect way to end my evening.