At Phoenix Feb. 24th, 2:30 PM

Discussion in 'February 2008' started by Dlev59, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Good coaching. Good slaughter. On National TV. Sweet. Two bad things though. Boring has heck to watch a 4th quarter like this. Seeing the young kids is no longer a rare treat we only get to see in blowouts. Now its just part of the game. With a 36 point lead at one point in the 3rd, this game was pure snooze material in the 4th quarter.

The other problem, as the the 4th was purely garbage time, it was not really much help to our young guys as far as learning the game. Oh well, play the young guys, get a blowout. I guess you have to live with the bad stuff too.

What a group of totally clueless national announcers. They complained we played Afflalo and Stuckey too much in the 2nd quarter. Gee, Rip and Billups had boundless energy in the 2nd half. Too bad they let people announce these games that never learned a darn thing about basketball. You do not win a game in the 2nd quarter. Flip did a brilliant job today. He brought in both JMAX and Amir early in the 1st quarter, followed by our young backcourt in the 2nd quarter, and he let them play.

Now some details. Hayes had a great shooting night. 17 points or so. Sheed owned the inside. A coach for Phoenix was seen telling Stoudemire that nobody can stop that shot. And nobody could, and Sheed hit one after another, after another, after anohter. A fade this way, a fade that way, a face up. All virtually uncontesed.

Shaq was held to pretty much zilch until the game was near blowout range. Stoudemire had his moments, mostly knocking down outside shots. But their best player really, Marion, was nowhere to be seen. Oh, they traded him away. For what? A used up guy named Shaq. Somebody who use to get to cheat all he wanted.

Billups had a fine game. Rip hit some shots. Tay hit some shots. Dyess did well shooting, and was quite useful defensively in this one as Shaq does take some muscle to guard.

Stuckey had a fine game marred by poor shooting on his part, but most of his misses mattered not one bit as the game was decided already. Afflalo got into the lane and made a jumper for his highlight. Amir was part of a 12-0 run with the starters (no Dyess) to end the 2nd half. JMAX, as always brought a ton of energy.

Kind of interesting by the way that we put JMAX and Amir in there by themselves for a while guarding Shaq. Both took turns guarding him. Of course, Amir is too light for such duty, and Flip soon took Amir off the floor, bringing him back a few minutes later with Sheed in the game to do the Shaq duties.

Wow. National TV. What many could construe as a big game. But Flip stuck to the youth movement thing. Darn good job. A+ for this game all the way on coaching. I am ecstatic. Championship here we come.
  2. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I think they might know a little more than you about basketball, Lee. But you follow the Pistons a little more closely so you might know Detroit's personnel a little better.
  3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Don't look at the negative. Look at the positive. Stuckey took 9 shots. In an NBA game. Darn good practice for him. I only wish some of those shots meant something in the 4th quarter. Better practice if he is shooting under the pressure of the game being on the line.

This I can guarantee you. For him taking those shots, and getting that practice, he will be a better player for it in the games to come.
  4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

They don't know any of the five teams I follow at all compared to me. But then again, they follow all 30 teams to some extent,and I spend way too much time watching basketball. But thats not the point. They are totally clueless as to something fundamental to all games, all teams. The bench playing in the 2nd quarter is a good thing. You win the game in the 2nd half, not the 2nd quarter.
  5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

This game shows what happens when you let DET execute their initial offense undeterred. There was a lot to like today, but that tempers it a bit.

I liked Flip's rotations & groupings for the most part today. He does seem to be extending the starters time on the floor bit by bit.

Hayes & Dyess are both so much better when they get the ball off of multiple passes/movement.

I like the little play they've been running where CB drives, draws the big and hits McDyess for a dunk.

Maxey has really been igniting the break these last 2 games - oops, that's the other teams break he's been starting

Max looked like he was going to step to Shaq after he got the flagrant on AJ. I don't know exactly how Bob Huggins used to teach the bigs at Cincy, but they should bottle it. He laid Shaq out later in the game.

Stoudamire is all style an no substance. He belongs on the All-NBA team as much as Billups belongs on the All-D squad.
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know from experience, talking quit is a lot easier than walking it. :)
    Not many people will agree with you. But I will. Van Gundy is great. He's not afraid to say something dumb. Or smart.

Hayes will make open looks by shooting before he aims.

I don't know that Hermann is better, but I understand some folks would like him to at least have a fair chance.
  7. ggazoo69

Count me in on the VGHOF club. The guy was pretty funny today. The bosses at ABC probably didn't care for all the screwing around too much, but imagine him and Walton in the booth at the same time. All bets are off! :pound:
  8. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

maybe it goes to why flip has been so slow at playing the kids like he is now, everybody has the mindset you play good players for 40 mins a game and since we have so many they should all be out there. Anybody that hasn't been watching the energy that we seem to be playing with in the 2nd half of most games (still out of the country so havn't seen a live game in months....sob) just doesn't get it.

Let them not get it all the way thru the playoffs to shoot let them keep saying our kids should be on the bench all the way thru a championship i am ok with that.
  9. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Slightly OT gripe - watched the highlights on BSPN. The guy says "But Phx controls the rest" or something to that effect. That's the second time in 2 games. Last time they showed an Amir dunk with Afflalo assisting, and the woman on says "Afflalo with the dunk". Do your homework please. :yellowprison:
  10. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Really?

Lee I remember some of your recaps that stated, a game was lost because of Flip`s 2nd Q coaching. But, we can`t win a game because of the 2nd Q?

Correct??
  11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

if Flip fails in June, JVG will probably be our coach next season:sssh:
  12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Beautiful game. But I knew it was over in the 1st Q. Tay was hot and Amirzing got in the 1st Q, game over. Maxi was the hilite man with his hussle, getting put backs and stepping into all comers.
    Although Shaq was in thug mode we brought it to him and gave him no respect. Amirzing brought his knee up to Shaq's chest on a drive so Shaq had to floor him.
    I thought the refs were fair as BupBup and Stuck floored/flopped Nash 5 times.
  13. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

I am on a two-gam roll with predictions. This game didnt scare me at all, but i expected it to me closer...

from earlier today:

tO lEE: iTS NOT IMPORTANT w-l WISE, BUT its important to test our strenghts and weaknesses. We know Shaq,Pt 4 as well as anyone, so we know we know we must attack him on offense and pretty much ignore him on defense. He'll tire HIMSELF out.
    I worry about Stoudamire's game more. Sheed will be on him and Sheed hates high-octane guys.
    Overall, Billups plays well against Nash, but I hope he doesnt get all 'ABC" on his teammates and not move the ball around.
    I say"RELEASE THE HOUNDS" and let the Zoo CREW go ape on the Suns today. Remember, this is NOT a young Suns team: SHAQ IV and Hill are what ..60? Nash is in his 30's...Diaw is fat...bench, sans Barbaro, are weak.

Pistons like to prove a point(right, Milwaukee?)...115-102!!!!.

Q-LIGHTS:
    1. ShaqIV is done. is game is all in his head now, kinda like watching Magic, Barkley and Malone(the best PG, SF and PF ever) at their conclusions. BUT I LOVED IT. They hyped his fatrear for 25 minutes before the game and at the half and he did ;squat:! I now predict the Suns MAY not make the playoffs.

2. Hill also looked his age, too.Man, i was cracking up. Two of the biggest enemies in Piston lore got their ashe handed to them on NATional TV.

3. Again, Billups got the best of Nash. The NBA title car is in his driveway. He has the key. Nash cant guard him(or Kidd and parker for that matter) for 7 games.

4. When Sheed is on, he has been PERfect! Dirk, Duncan, Garnett, now ShaqIV. BTW, Lee, that 'assistant coach' on Phoenix that told amare "nobody in the world can guard that shot" was former Piston head coach
    Alvin Gentry.:pound:

5. The bench did its job-to rest the starters. Rstuckey didnt shoot well but did play well. Amir was a lil soft early, but i think ShaqIV's elbow woke him up! Max set the tone early and JahVis was what we thought he would be. Herrmann is ready to get some second quarter burn as well.

About as good as it gets.
  14. ggazoo69

Larry Bird was a pretty good SF, wasn't he?
  15. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Bird was 6'9"...I dont succumb to the silly workings of the present NBA calling of a 1,2,3,4 or 5. Elgin Baylor was 6-5; Dr J was 6-6; Barkley was 6-4....Boston played Cornbread at the small when Bird entered league...

DONT GO OLDSKOOL WITH ME, BOOOOYYYYY!:MusicBigGrin:
  16. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

HQ, what's the "ShaqIV" nickname in reference to? Shaq the 4th? Shaq needs to get an IV at halftime just to be able to stay on the floor?
  17. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

YES this is the 4th version of the Big Mywifeleftmeforthepoolboy!:pound:
  18. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Bird did play the 4, but when did Barkley ever start at the 3?
  19. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Ah, because it's his 4th team, OK.

You sure she left him for the pool boy? You sure it wasn't the Piss Boy, from History of the World Part I? :laugh:
  20. ggazoo69

Well, I'd take Bird over Malone then. :)

Although I think Malone was a more quintessential PF. Bird was more active and "led" his team more than Malone did. If Utah had bothered to build a team around Malone and Stockton, I wouldn't be posting this.