1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

At Philadelphia January 9th, 7:00PM

Discussion in 'January 2007' started by Dlev59, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

At Philadelphia January 9th, 7:00PM
    TV - FSN Detroit (local) NBALP

The Pistons head to Philly to begin a four game in five night stint. Detroit has dropped four of their last 5 games and hope to perhaps, start a winning streak as all four games will be against sub 500 teams.

Will JD recieve a call from new Philly exec Larry Brown to work out a deal?? Or is LB`s special project centered on; how to coach the 76ers again without anyone even noticing what happened?

2. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Own this team and take control of the East again. Keep Chauncey benched for the rest of the week.

Pistons 106-79

3. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Scouting report:

Andre Miller has been scoring lately. Is capable of taking Murray to the rim again and again. On the other end, he's not as good a defender as Hinrich or Duhon, but he's too big for Flip to post up on the baseline.
    Andre Iguodala has been putting up a lot of shots and running the offense a bit. Sometimes he can hit jumpshots, but mostly he's a slasher. Good if overrated defender, excellent rebounder.
    Rodney Carney is a rookie, high draft pick. Recently promoted to the starting lineup. Good slasher, good set shooter, but hasn't been depended on to carry much of the scoring load. Bad defender and rebounder.
    Joe Smith is finished. Still a decent rebounder, but he won't make any other impact on the game.
    Sam Dalembert is a dunker, shotblocker, decent rebounder with extremely low basketball IQ. Makes no impact on the game further than 1 foot from the basket.
    Kyle Korver's a fantastic jumpshooter if he's open. Rarely drives but will post much smaller defenders. Doesn't rebound much. He isn't a complete stiff defensively, but he's by no means any good.
    Alan Henderson's a poor man's McDyess. Like Smith, pretty close to finished.
    Steven Hunter is a good defender, average rebounder, offensive skills limited to dunks.
    Willie Green is an undersized volume scorer with absolutely no conscience. He'll take any shot, and occasionally he'll warm up enough to score 30 on more than 35% from the field. Doesn't do anything else.
    Kevin Ollie is a very old LB-type player. He won't make many mistakes at either end of the floor, but he won't do much either.
    Louis Williams, Bobby Jones, Chris Webber, and Shavlik Randolph: quite small, not yet NBA-ready, no longer NBA-ready, and a complete stiff from Duke. All have been collecting DNPs recently. Webber and Randolph can hurt us on the glass if they play but won't do much else.

Prediction: Pistons, 103-84

4. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Great post AHB.
    6ers started the season 0 for double digits.
    Since AI left they are 4 for 5, with a win over those volitol Knicks.
    They are not completely dead. Flip better coach his azzzzz off.
    Or I want him fired!

5. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

uh, i think you'll find randolph is pretty much done for the season after breaking his ankle last year, but pretty good scouting nonetheless.

will sheed and c-webb be getting a preview of their new teams if some rumours are to be believed...

6. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

Prediction: The Pistons better beat this sorry excuse for a team or the complaining will be insufferable on this board. :MusicBigGrin:

7. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Chat's open, y'all! Come on down!

8. nenerojer

nenerojer First Round Draft Pick

But Sheed?

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

There we go Will! Showin some pizazz.

10. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I'm still not sure why this happened, but JMax started for Sheed in this game, and again in the 2nd half, although Sheed ended up playing more minutes, 29 to only 18 for JMax. Pistons shot the ball well in the first quarter, but a few defensive breakdowns and a lot of second chance points for Philly kept the game close. The second quarter started with a big Pistons run to get the lead into double digits--Delfino was playing really well, and Ashton Korver almost single-handedly punk'd the Sixers into a hole with several missed shots and turnovers. The starters didn't hustle much in the last few minutes, and some sloppy play allowed the Sixers to get within 3 at halftime. Flip Murray didn't do a whole lot from the floor, but he did get to the line a number of times and knocked most of his FTs down. Rip and Tay both shot well in the first half.

But the third quarter was a whole other ballgame. The Sixers continued to crash the glass, with Dalembert and Smith getting second chances all over the place (they combined for 15 offensive boards in the game), but aside from that their offense was mostly one-on-one with Iguodala jacking up tough shots. The big story was that the Pistons were almost flawless on offense--15-18 from the floor in the 3rd quarter, with assists on 13 of those baskets!! Rip, Tay, and Flip led the way as the Pistons moved the ball beautifully and scored on almost every possession. Their lead ballooned from 3 at the half to 16 at the end of the quarter.

In the fourth quarter, both teams traded buckets for a while, with Tay still on fire. He ended up with 33 points, a new career high--13-18 from the floor, and 5-6 on threes! Rip ended up 11-16 from the floor. The starters got lazy and let the Sixers cut the lead down to 10 with a couple of minutes left, and then Flip threw in a few stupid turnovers down the stretch, but the Sixers never got it closer than the final margin, which was 9 points.

The key difference in the game was the Pistons' ball movement, particularly in that big third quarter. They ended up with 32 assists, which I'm pretty sure is a season high. Flip led the way with 12 dimes, Rip had 7, and Tay had 4. Blalock also had 4, in 17 minutes, and he also hit his first NBA three. Delfino started off really well in the 2nd quarter, though he only ended up 1-6 from the floor, but he did get 6 rebounds. Nice win to get things going after the recent struggles.

11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Thanks D4E! Great recap!

12. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Night of Milestones. Rip did his thing and surpassed 10,000 pts. Tay backed up his words with stellar play and a career high 33 pts. (mostly from the outside). Flip JR impressed some GM's hopefuly with his career high 12 assists and 12 pts. Of course he had his usual 4 TO's and questionable defense.:(

Blaylock had a career high in pts with 5, & assists with 4, and also made his first NBA 3 pointer.

News of the day was the surprise start of the Brahma over Sheed. He never got into the flow of the game after hitting the first bucket of the game and finished with 6 pts and 2 boards. Sheed came off the bench to score 8 pts and grab six boards, but still went 0-4 from beyond the arc:brick:

Dice seem to be out of it too, but with Rip and Tay hitting on all cylinders in the 3rd qtr, no one noticed.

Good game...we gotta to take the next three winnable games with the same results.

13. detteam

detteam All-Star

Sheed in Flip's doghouse? Doesn't bode well.

I was on the phone a long time and missed the post game comments...I can't wait to hear Flip's explanation on Sheed...

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That is what I'm saying about Blalock. Did you see how far they were cheating off him? That why he has to make them respect his jumper. I was glad to see him shooting the ball... whether he made it or not. I believe that every NBA point guard should be able to shoot 40% when they are unguarded. And until he proves otherwise, I am going to assume that he can also shoot that well once he gets comfortable.

He really does seem to have good court vision, and especially for a rookie. 0 turnovers (is that right?)

Even though Flip Murray had a career night, we all know that on any other night, his same play would have only yielded 6 assists or so. Rip and Tay were absolutely on fire. Still, he did the 2 things that he should be doing: driving to the rim and creating ball movement. One of his turnovers was on a strange feed to the post and 2 more were just sloppy toward the end. Without those, it would have been a very solid game for him considering how much he had to handle the ball.

Are we to assume that Sheed has been one of the cats showing up late to practice? I'm guessing it has been Sheed and Saunders.

How about the coaching job tonight though? This is what we have been asking for, right? He shook the team out of their comfort/complacency zone by starting Maxiell. He got almost all of the players involved in a meaningful way. It didn't feel like starters and bench taking shifts, it just seemed like we were one big team with a common goal.

Coach of the game for the Pistons: Saunders. That is the first time this year he has won that award.

15. detteam

detteam All-Star

You happen to notice who we played tonight? Flip has been here almost a year and a half and has yet to coach a single game.

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

No, I saw him, he was there tonight... coaching the Pistons. I have it on Tivo.

17. detteam

detteam All-Star

TaShawn...the team we played

I just caught Kelser's postgame comments. I'm really losing respect for my MSU homey. First he kissed Flip's butt for 'shaking things up', but then went on to say Sheed responded well.

It's nice that Flip made a change we all wanted, but I don't think the guy can inspire his players...no matter how hard he tries to be a disciplinarian.

18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Tay could not miss. Is that better effort? Not really. He just could not miss. And Rip could not miss. We had mismatches at the wing positions and we exploited them, as we usually do vs. Philly. Rip and Tay had a whole lot of open shots, Tay cause they kept losing track of him, and Rip coming off screens all night. Great shooting by both.

We only went into Maxiell, who started, once in each half. And Maxiell scored both times. Enough to convince Philly to pay him plenty of attention. Which made it even more easy for Rip and Tay to do their thing. This was career high 33 points for Tay, and Rip was just shy of 30 himself I believe.

One big area of concern was that our starting unit gave up a whole lot of offensive rebounds. Sure, Dalembert is pretty good, but he got enough offensive rebounds to keep Philly in this game, even for a stretch in the 3rd quarter despite us hitting almost every shot we took. I will watch closely to see who was slacking, but I will point out Mohammed is our center. (Not that Maxiell got hardly any bounds either.

Blalock hit his first NBA triple. He can shoot, he just needs to calm down a bit. Another fine game on both ends of the floor for Blalock, getting the ball up the floor well and doing well on D. Philly scored precious little with Blalock in the game to open the 2nd quarter. I think Philly had a good five minute stretch there with just one hoop.

Dale Davis got in the game a bit in the 2nd quarter. He did not do much. Blalock hit him for an easy dunk.

Delfino did little offensively, played good D as usual and helped with the ball handling chores some.

Tay contributed a key stretch of D by keeping Korver covered well when he came off the bench to try and spark some O for Philly.

No Webber. Dalembert looked pretty good for them on the boards and making shots while AI got several dunks on us. Willie Green did a bit of damage. Andre Miller had plenty of assists in the first half anyway. All in all, quite a different Philly team. All of Philly's players seem a bit sharper on their offensive game. I am sure they are getting a lot more shots with the old AI gone. If Philly could play any D, they would be a decent team. But the don't and aren't.

You can't call Murray's game bad with a double double. The best part of his game was him driving in, getting fouled, and continually making his free throws. Good consistent passes to Rip coming off those screens all night too. I am also pretty sure Tay's buckets gave him a few assist. Maybe not the drive and dish type assists that we really like, but a steady game. (Other than a few bad shots.-and he did take and make a longer midranger when found open.)

Can't say enough about Rip tonight. Sure the shots were there, but he had to knock them down too, and he did. Rip also got inside some as he passed 10,000 for a career. Go Rip.

Sheed came off the bench for coming to a practice an hour late. He did not seem to mind. He played fine. Not very assertive on offense, but with Tay and Rip cooking, he was wise to let them just keep shooting. He attempted a few treys, and they all looked bad. That shot has left the country for the time being.

Both of Maxiell's post up scores were go to the middle, rise and shoot over everyone type shots. He got a score on a fast break too. Dyess did not play much, bring some energy to the game though when he did play.

Oh our old friend Joe Smith had a decent game. GO PISTONS!!!!!

19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Just a shout out to the people doing the game reports. Good stuff. I enjoy reading them a lot.

20. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Prince played 42 minutes. We have a game tommorrow! The starters were in w/ 4 min left w/ 16+ point lead. Until Flip stops this stupidity, i can't compliment anything he does.

Our defense, save the 3rd, was awful.

Yes, the regular season is important, but Flip seems to think it's all that's important.