At Philadelphia Jan 23 7PM

Discussion in 'January 2008' started by max, Jan 21, 2008.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Either way, I'm glad that something happened. I have always thought that if Joe is going to have a coach like Flip, that Joe needs to take some control.

If you hire LB, it's hard to tell him what to do. But Flip is maleable.

I trust Dumars' judgment completely. I was just worried that he wasn't mandating certain things to the coach. And now it looks like he probably is. All is well.
  2. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

I hear you - maybe AJ will be a great "offensive" rebounder. That would be a great asset to the team. But only one defensive rebound in 15 minutes from an interior forward? (I can't call him a 4, lest all the "AJ is a 3" proponents chime in.) Even Sheed does better than that. AJ can do better, and it's the coaching staff's job to make sure that he understands that he must do better.

We need defensive rebounding help - especially when the playoffs arrive.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That is why I think that he and JMax should be split up. They are too similar in the way that they rebound and score.

Dyess and Sheed are similar as well, but in an opposite way.

I don't really care who starts and who comes off the bench, but I would suggest that JMax and Amir get split up. They both like to hang around the paint, clean up garbage, get offensive boards and get unconventional defensive boards. Sheed and Dyess both like to float outside, yet they do a nice job of holding their position and boxing out on defense.

Combining the young athletic rebounding with the old traditional box outs could give us the best of both worlds.

Also, Sheed and Dyess need somebody to clean up all their missed jump shots on the weak side.
  4. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Joe knows politics as well. Maybe he told Flip to play Amir, but spin it like it was Flip's idea so that he doesn't totally lose whatever he's got left of players respect. Imagine newspaper article with heading "Joe mandates Flip to play Amir".
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yep. The "improving in practice" angle was a nice touch too. It makes it seem like he wasn't worthy before, but through Flip's disciplined approach, he has been building his skills behind the scenes and has finally proved himself to his sensi.
  6. max

max All-Star

Whatever the reasons for Amir. I wish it would have happened earlier. I don't think Wally did anything to deserver to be ahead of Amir, that was a joke. But it did happend so thats the main thing.

We need a 4th big? New flash there is this thing called foul trouble that has been partly why you lost the last 2 ECF's because Dyess and Sheed are both very prone to it.

Anyway. He is finally getting it right so this is really going to help. Better late than never.
  7. mikhail1973

True dat. Just not sure why Wally is not ahead of Hayes at this point. We get nothing, absolute zilch from Jarvis. When he is on - he is a help, when he is off - he is a hindrance to the team. The problem is that he is on 2 games off 6.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm down for giving his minutes to Herrmann for a little while to see how it goes. But I'm definitely not convinced that he'll do much better. I just don't think we've seen enough from him to know yet. He's hit a couple 3's, made a couple reverse baseline lay-ups and played some good D in stretches. But he really hasn't seen many extended minutes like Hayes.

I have seen enough of Hayes to know what he brings. Basically, he's the streakiest shooter on the team, who can post up with mild success on smaller defenders. He tries hard on D, but the other team sees him as the weak link and attacks him constantly.
  9. mikhail1973

Yep, exactly my thinking on this. I wonder if they ever give Herrmann a chance.
  10. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I like how the Det News stated that one of the reasons the bench played so well was because of a talk with the coaches. They just thought of talking to them and explaining what they want? These guys are really on the cutting edge!

Calling Flip a retard is an insult to retards.

DET gets killed on the boards because they have one of their bigs show on pick & rolls. Then, instead of having said big take the roller back, they switch with the other big. If a shot goes up quick enough, they are outmanned on the glass. That happened all game long, not just when Amir was in.

If Flip Murray took some of the shots that Stuckey did, this place would be burning.
  11. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I agree w/ this. It seems from what i've seen so far, Amir plays better with Sheed and Max plays good with either one. Amir will balance out Sheed's lack of aggressiveness at times (and maybe make him more energetic), and Dyess' rebounding will help offset the times Max isn't boarding well (and help Dyess' defense).

I don't think you need to switch the starting line-up, but take either one out mid-first quarter, and put Amir or Max in depending on who you leave in.

That also needs to be done with Afflalo as he plays better with Chauncey, or put Chauncey/Afflalo in to finish the half. Rip/Chauncey can finish the game, start the quarters; they don't need to be in together all the time. Also when Stuckey gets more comfortable, Afflalo/him together will work, but our forwards in the game need to be aggressive (*cough" Tayshaun).

The only negative i saw last night were the starters still played heavy minutes, and Amir's time seem to cut into Max's. We can and should play them both 15-20 min.

Someone should tell Flip blowouts are not the only way for the starters to rest.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Everybody plays better with Billups.
  13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Well, it's long been proposed on this forum that you are the superior coach.

If I was on the other team, for sure. :)

Regards,

Bill Belichick
  14. SonicD 43

SonicD 43 First Round Draft Pick

Gotta admit I love the fact that Flip remembered he has more than 2 guys on his bench last night. But based on the minutes the starters played it is obvious this was a Joe mandate. I really see no reason why we should be playing any of those guys close to 40 minutes a night. Since we supposedly we have a great bench, one of the deepest in the league...
  15. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Makes me wish that Fino would have gotten the same consistent minutes while he was here.
  16. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

That's because Flip Murray still takes some of those shots that Stuckey took last night or worse. Stuckey is a rookie with 18 games of experience at 15 minutes per.

Murray is not!!!
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah, I think that at this point it is fairly obvious that Delfino is more valuable that Hayes. Not sure if that would have been the case if he would have stayed here though.

Delfino is shooting better with a .506 eFG%. He rebounds better. And he definitely is a better defender. Also, Carlos gets in the paint for 24% of his attempts vs. only 17% for Hayes.

Live and learn.
  18. mikhail1973

And he stayed at Holiday Inn Express...
    :stirthepot:
  19. max

max All-Star

Wally for Hayes is a different scnerio. Your description of 2 on and 6 can equally describe Hayes as well. I believe SF is more Wallys natural position so that may be worth a shot. Maybe try 1 in any given game and if they don't have it try the other. Or just double Amir or Maxiel also as the backup SF kind of how Corliss was used.

There is a theme here, the same theme as with Flip Murray. Min contract players usually play like min contract players.
  20. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I really don't don't know what people expected from Hayes. He was dumped by the Wiz and replaced by a rookie.

His pay is at about the bottom of the NBA totem pole for a player with 4 or more years in the league.

He is actually shooting better this year than he has for his career.

You get what you pay for.

Maybe he just isn't the same player that he was before the injuries or maybe his college game didn't translate into an NBA game. He wouldn't be the first nor the last guy that that has happened to.

:hoops: