1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

At Philadelphia Jan 23 7PM

Discussion in 'January 2008' started by max, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I wish I could have used this as my HS yearbook quote.........

2. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

You have no idea. I switched channels b/c the game was boring, and when i switched back i saw Amir/Afflalo. I thought i was dreaming. Seriously. I had to turn the tv off and on just to make sure.

Joe D definitely said something. There's no other explanation for Flip's schizophrenic rotations.

I like AA out there w/ Rip/Chauncey too.

3. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

definitely rust-related. He usually makes those.

4. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Sprocket Cap

Coming off a three game losing streak, the Pistons play a methodical game to beat the Sixers in Philadelphia 86 to 78. Superb play from the starting guards, who account for 40 of the Pistons’ points, and improved play off the bench proves to be too much for the 16 and 28 Sixers.

The Pistons start the game with a clear mission, to share the ball and to avoid long jumpshots. All five starters take one shot each in the first three minutes, a post move each from Sheed and Dyess, drives to the basket from Prince and Rip, and a short jumper from Billups on the break start the game. Only the backcourt actually manages to put the ball in the hoop, but still the intent was fun to watch. The starting guards continue to strike for the Pistons, scoring all 16 of the team’s points in the first seven minutes of the game. Billups then hits his third three of the quarter, but heads to the bench with his second foul at the 2:34 mark. A fairly long stretch of zone defense helps to hold the Sixers in check.

The bench struggles however to finish the quarter with Stuckey and then Maxiell committing the team’s first two turnovers of the game. The quarter ends with the Pistons up by two on a near airball from Stuckey. The Sixers dominate the quarter on the boards 12 to 4, with 6 on the offensive end, none for the Pistons.

The Sixers start the second half pressing and while they don’t produce any steals in the backcourt, the pressure leaves the Pistons little time on the clock to set up their offense and they continue to turn the ball over, giving it up two more times in the first two minutes of the quarter. Fortunately for the Pistons the Sixers also play fast and loose with the ball. Still, they make up the first quarter deficit and only an offensive board and dunk from Amir Johnson pulls the Pistons even at 36 at the five minute mark. The Pistons go back to the zone, and a nice stretch with Stuckey, Affalo, Prince, Maxiell, and Johnson in the game stretches the lead to nine on the back of an 18-5 run.

The Pistons continue their hot shooting in the second and end the half at 58%, on 11-19 from two and 4-9 from three. They make up a good part of the rebounding gap in the second, especially on the offensive end with three more offensive boards than the Sixers in the period.

A 4-0 start by the Pistons in the third continues the run and forces the Sixers to call timeout less than a minute into the period. The wheels come off the Piston’s game after that though and the Sixers respond to Cheeks’ tongue-lashing with a 10-2 run to make the score 64-58 Pistons at the 3:28 mark. The teams trade baskets the rest of the way, with the Pistons adding one point to the lead to finish the quarter at 70 to 63. After scoring 25 in each of the first two quarters the Pistons only manage 20 in the third, with the worst yet to come.

A soccer game breaks out in the fourth quarter as both teams combine to score one point (by the Sixers) in the first three minutes of the period. Stuckey shows he has been listening to Lindsey by coming up both with a very Hunteresque steal and a missed dunk on the run-out. At the seven minute mark of the period the teams have shot a combined one for eighteen for the period, with the sole field goal coming from the Pistons. The Pistons’ lead stays at seven the rest of the way until a Rip free throw ends the scoring for the 30th Pistons’ victory of the season.

The starters end up playing fairly heavy minutes, ranging from Dyess at 35 to Prince at 38. Still, four bench players have ten minutes or more with 26 from the rookie guards and 15 from Amir Johnson. The bench ends up shooting fairly poorly (37%) with a fair number of missed layups, but provide a nice spark on the defensive end and engineer a very nice run in the second.

5. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

LOL...how true it is. Thanks for another good Sprocket-cap.

6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If this doesn't prove Flip reads my posts, what does?

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Flip came through for us!

The key is for Amir to take advantage of nights like this (which I would say that he did) so that Saunders starts to rely on him. He really does have a noticable impact on the game. True to his previous stats, he was our most productive rebounder and shot blocker tonight. And as anyone who watched will realize, his athleticism keeps the ball alive.

It will be fun seeing Amir and Maxiell have a breakout game as a tandem... ala the goon squad game last year.

Afflalo looks really athletic on offense too. He was displaying the aggressiveness that he had in the early season tonight.

And Stuckey, well, the PG spot is tough. If it took Chauncey 5 years to get it, then it's understandable that Stuck isn't clicking yet.

Overall, it is obvious to me that we have talented bench players with Piston DNA, and the most important thing is the way that Flip conducts. Tonight, he did it right. However, we got off to a great start with CB and Rip hitting shots, which made it easier to do.

8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Wonder if the Bobcat experiment with primofabio is over and Flip is now ready to give the A's the minutes needed to get enough experience get the on his "comfy" list.

You know how Flip is...if it worked well in one game or even one quarter, he forgets and reverts back to his old bad rotation habits.

We still need to figure out what to with the old Bobcats so even if the our newbies somehow or another show brilliance over the 3 weeks, we still need somebody to stop the penetration when Turkaloo, James, Labron and Nocioni are ready to penetrate in the 4th quater and Dice and Tay get tired and Flip ain't feeling AJ....

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Ugliest most unimpressive win of the year......yet the BEST win of the year. Flip said he told Joe that a 4th big was needed......not sure if Joe said, "Gee Flip, ya think....Maybe that kid we gave a frickin contract extension to, that I hyped up all OFF SEASON!!!!!"

10. max

max All-Star

McCosky talked him up on his game writeup. So perhaps this is permanant. I hope Flip has the patience to endure some growing pains.
    Pistons find their groove

Nice to get the win.

11. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Flip is a retard. Just a few days ago he said that Amir is not ready. Now he's saying:
    Is he on some kind of drugs with frequent brainwave swings???

12. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

nah, Joe straightened Flip out. Flip is just talking this up like it's his idea to save some face.

Considering AJ hasn't truly played in months, he was very impressive. Definitely gave us that energy that this team needs. Max can't be our sole source of energy. Sometimes he isn't enough, and there are nights when he just won't have it. He and Afflalo were a good tandem.

Flip's gotta get him in there consistently though, now. You can't tease him by talking him up saying things like "he was dynamite", and then not work him in for at least 5 minutes a game or so every single game.

I just wish it hadn't taken this long. 3 months of the season wasted, and now he's got to catch up quick. Kind of like Max last year. Flip waited too long to get him into regular minutes, and it hurt us in the playoffs.

13. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Wow.........Flip gets hammered for changing his lineup. I just figure that they lost 3 in a row and Flip just shook things up. His Psychologist said he didn't go schitzo on us. Just the right move by a good coach. Seeing Afflalo and Amir go plus 12 and plus 8, while the rest of the reserves registered minuses was refreshing for me. Just like I said, give Flip til February to start playing the reserves. Hopefully both guys see an increase in their minutes.

14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Apparently, Flip's remarks are open to interpretation. Two sites, detnews.com, and mlive.com, reported it as Flip saying he suggested playing Amir. But, freep.com put it different, saying Flip and Dumars had a conversation and Flip and Dumars came to an agreement that they should play Amir more.

15. BillLaimbeer

Wouldn't it be nice to have full access to all of the conversations between the Piston players, coaches, administrators, scouts, and owner...kind of like a reality show?

16. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

Only saw short stretches of the game last night, but did see AJ a bit. Glad to hear that he had a good performance overall, because from the evidence I saw I was liking Sixers Jason Smith much better than AJ.

AJ dosen't box out his man - at least not for very long. We gave up a bunch of second and third opportunities during the stretches I saw. He may bring an occasional second chance for us on the offensive end, but it was very frustrating watching him work on the defensive boards.

Given what I saw, I was even more shocked to see Flip's comments about his performance. His performance seemed to confirm to me what Flip has said in the past about AJ, especially about defensive rebounding. It was AJ's man that was getting the rebounds - because AJ didn't sustain his box out effort. I thought "effort" was what he was supposed to bring. Maybe he still dosen't get some of the fundamentals.

Flip said the same thing about Max early on this season ("you have to be better on the defensive glass.") Max went out and showed him some improvement. I didn't see the same improvement from AJ.

But let me repeat, I only saw limited glimpses of his play last night. Just wasn't too impressed with what I did see.

17. BillLaimbeer

You know, there are a lot of guys on the Pistons that don't rebound very well. Next time you watch a game, look at all of the Piston players when an opponent's shot goes up. There is more standing around watching the shot then there is finding a guy, putting a body on him, and seeling out. Some of the Piston starters were much worse at this last night than Amir.

The biggest problem I saw with Amir last night was his lack of size and strength. In a half-court set, he was getting pushed around and dislodged from his position on both the offensive and defensive end.

18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

All a good debate. But the main fact, that other team could not score a bucket if their lives depended on it while Amir was in the game, says volumes. Amir more than covers up any mistakes with a combination of great speed and quickness, length, and seriously good ups.

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

First of all, why does Flip need to ask permission from Joe to play Amir... or even suggest that he's thinking about it? That is the coaches job.

That is why this is BS. They met and Joe told him to play Amir. Flip spun it to seem like it was his idea.

As far as the rebounding goes, Amir was up against some pretty good rebounders, especially Reggie Evans. But Evans and Dalembert got 0 rebounds in the last 5:00 minutes of the second Q when Amir was in. Smith and Young each had 1 rebound in the 4th when Amir was in. So most of the rebounding damage came from the guards during those stretches. Meanwhile, our stud pseudo-rookie pulled down 4 offensive during those stretches. A few great rebounders do it without boxing out.

20. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

I don't buy Flip's explanation that he talked to Dumars about needing a fourth big either, TaS. Not at all. I think it was more Dumars telling Flip that we need to develop Amir.

Flip simply can't be this stupid. Seems like he's trying to "save face."