At Philadelphia Jan 23 7PM

Discussion in 'January 2008' started by max, Jan 21, 2008.

1. max

max All-Star

At Philadelphia Jan 23 7PM

tv: FSN

If the Pistons can't end the losing streak here then I don't know.
  2. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

An unsullied thread...

Monday's effort would have beaten the Sixers fairly handily and I expect a little more tonight. Rip and Sheed like to play for the home folks.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Hopefully we can contain AI.
  4. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

You aint funny TaS.
    Run the bench, the starters don't need that much practice.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I wasn't joking. He's averaging 20/game and getting a lot of steals. He's had 10+ free throw attempts 7 times already this year.

They have had a lot of close losses to some good teams, so they are probably not as bad as their record. They recently beat Tor and Houston (on the road)
  6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Do not attach any importance to whether we win or lose this game.

Instead, just look at who plays. If Saunders does not play the right people, with sufficient minutes and instead just continues to burn out our stars, we are in trouble.

Now, he will probably make some noise like, wow, we have to stop this 3 game losing streak, and want to shorten his rotation. But look, I will post here the boxscore of the Boston game, where we lost, while using an 8 man rotation. In the name of a big game.

"The big game" Its the excuse that started this bad streak. Nobody fall for it tonight, please.

ESPN - Boston vs. Detroit Box Score, January 05, 2008
  7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Lee, nice job posting a link. I agree we should be getting 10 guys onto the floor in the first half.
  8. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Hopefully the 8 man rotation idea is out the window. Love to see 10 men out there especially if Walter and Primoz aren't among them.

I'm tempted to say this is a big game.
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

10. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

AJ sighting in the first half. That collective thud was several Pistons fans falling off the couch at once.
  11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Ha ha ah ah ha ah a a ha ha ah ha a ha ha
  12. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

:MusicBigGrin:
    Nice overall game for him, only 5 points, few rust-related misses, but a very solid game for him. Afflalo too. Stuckey got fouled on that missed dunk too.
  13. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Wll it appears that Amir finally got that picture of Flip in an uncompromising position and he had to play him. :)In fact both kids from California, AJ and AA got more minutes than both Max and Hayes, and they made the most of it. Although AJ missed a couple of ez putbacks in the 4th, he still scored 5 pts. grabbed 5 boards and blocked 2 shots. He may not be a prolific scorer like Hayes, but his defense and board work made up for it.
  14. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Well, well, look who got minutes tonight...Amir and AA each played 14-15, as 10 players in all saw the floor. The starters all played between 35 and 38 total, but not many together as a unit, as there were a lot of different combinations out there. JMax only played 10 minutes while Hayes had 6. The Sixers crashed the boards for a big advantage, 47-33, but the Pistons took advantage of lots of Philly turnovers and also had a big edge at the FT line. Rip and CB going 15-24 from the floor was the big factor on offense.

AA and Amir played together for much of the 2nd quarter, hustling on both ends and making a nice impact, mostly in a unit with Tay, CB, and Dice. That 5-man group turned an even game into a solid lead, which stretched out to 9 by halftime. The Sixers got back within 5 a couple of times in the second half, but never got any closer than that.
  15. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

He is a better scorer than Hayes.

:hoops:
  16. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I know, but we are waiting for Flip to let him prove it to us:)
  17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

That wasn't so hard now, was it? I was falling asleep on (Not falling off) the couch when the Amirgeddon happened. He doesn't have to dominate, just 5-8 minutes to help keep the main cogs fresh. Anything else is a bonus.

I almost can't believe the box score when I look at the minutes. It doesn't seem like the starters played that many minutes. Even when I win, I lose.

That was as close to resembling a rotation as I've ever seen from the Flipster. There is definitely room for improvement, but I'll take what I can get right now.

Amir as the 4th big? AA playing small forward? I think it was take suggestions from the form night. Please keep it up.
  18. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

AJ is an impact player.

:hoops:
  19. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Have to believe that Joe read Flip's comments about possibly benching Stuckey, and he realized that he better put his foot down and get some pt for the kids before they became the next Darko and Delfino's and started demanding one way tickets out of Detroit.
  20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Great game. It was not perfect, but a great step toward playoff preparation. Tonight, I am only going with positives.

Stuckey did not play a ton in this game, but he played enough. He got some late 2nd quarter minutes along with about 5 minutes between the quarters each half. He was part of a shutout pitched against Philly to start the 4th quarter. He did not score, but he did not hurt us either while giving CB some rest.

Afflalo got 15 minutes. A fiery ball of energy out there. He got to the rack a few times for us for scores.

Amir was pretty awesome. Yep, he came short on his few post moves, but remember, those are like the first set of post moves he has been given to take in well over a month. Amir does normally make those shots. Amir also got 15 minutes. Five rebounds, 2 blocks, a bunch of shots they could not take or missed from his presence, and a few times where we got the ball from him fighting for a bound. He did make a couple offensive rebound putbacks and one of two at the line.

Hayes was limited to 6 minutes, and Saunder kept him off the floor when Stuckey was out there. Afflalo got his minutes in the 2nd half. (Which resulted in no points for Philly while Afflalo was out there.)

The Pistons took control of the game in the last minutes of the 1st half,with both Stuckey and Amir on the floor.

For the most part, despite some really hot shooting by both Billups and Rip in the first half, all our starters did all game long was trade baskets with Philly. In the first half, we scored plenty, but so did they with our starters in the game. In contrast, when guys like Afflalo and Amir were in, the Philly team just could not find a bucket except by shear luck upon occasion.

Tay had a decent game. So did Sheed, although his rebounding and points totals were low.

Dyess played about 35 minutes.

While Philly was manhanling our starters on the boards pretty badly, Amir and JMAX turned the tide our way when they were in. Stuckey and Afflalo also help on rebounding.

We did get to see Amir and JMAX together as a pair of bigs briefly. Other than Dalembert scoring on Amir the one time, it worked out fine. But it was a rather brief time. Maxiell only played 10 minutes in this game. He got stripped on a couple of post possesions, but he had some fine moments on the offensive glass too. I am not too worried about Maxiell playing short minutes in this game as he has been complaining about tired legs of late.

Hayes made a short shot on a cut to the basket.
    Stuckey had a steal, and had an easy dunk attempt. He did not miss for nothing. A replay showed he was fouled. (His leg was hit to knock him off course.)

Feelings of elation were frequent and long from watching this game. A whole lot of people loved watching Amir play tonight. Like a cool drink of water in the desert after a long, long thirst.

If this keeps up, with the youngsters playing, I suggest everyone start buying tickets again, as they will go fast.

GO PISTONS!!!!!