At Philadelphia April 9th 7PM

Discussion in 'April 2008' started by max, Apr 8, 2008.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree that the Pistons cannot afford an injury. They could win it all if everything clicked perfectly, but there is not a huge margin for error. They need everyone healthy and contributing, as well as the coaching staff doing its part. I can't wait for the playoffs!
  2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Afflalo just hit three jumpers in a row, just two games ago. He needs to shoot more, to get comfortable shooting. But look, even if we simply don't have him shoot outside shots, he is still a threat to drive in. As long as he is surrounded by scorers, it should not matter much whether he can shoot or not. You do not need five scorers on the floor.

Whether Afflalo plays or not, Dixon playing is bad news. He is such a poor defender, it negates any good defense anyone else plays. No matter how good you are at D, it really does not matter if the other team is just going to ignore you and pick on someone like Dixon. Dixon also means our bigs get into foul trouble because he is so easily gotten by. Dixon improves the other teams outside shooting, because everyone is leaving their guy to help out Dixon. Its plain ugly.

One last thought. The same thought. If Afflalo does not play, and a lot, we are going nowhere in the playoffs. Without him, we just do not play enough defense to win. If Afflalo is taken out of the rotation for the first series, whether we play Toronto or Philly, we will lose in the first round.
  3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

This is not true. And it is really an insult to our bench players. We did not lose the last two games due to Rip not playing. We lost them because of who did play. Dixon giving up way too many points. Theo maybe playing a bit too much just to get mintues. Hayes playing regardless of his poor D. Dyess playing the whole 1st quarter, just because he needs the work to stay sharp.

What you saw in the last two games: Starters barely interested in playing, out there getting their minutes. Bench players being given minutes just because they are vets. Dyess getting his minutes regardless of his performance. These last two games by no means are any poor reflection on the play of Afflalo. (Though Stuckey did have quite a bad stretch in the NY game, despite shining in the 4th quarter.)

And one more, thing, so far, Billups and Stuckey playing together has not worked. Stuckey and Afflalo playing together does work. But you have not seen any of Afflalo and Stuckey playing together as of late. Not any. So don't be too quick to judge our young bench players.
  4. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

...You're HILEERIOUS!!! :pound::lol::pound:
  5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I concur with your first statment hog which is why I have no favorites or pet players on this team. If a scrub or stud is stinking it up then we have to recognize it and lay the criticism on them if warranted. I recognize that we need the contrubutions of Max, AA, Stuckey , Dixon and Amir in the playoffs, but once those games start, no one other than Stuckey and Max will get more than 15 mins of PT and Hayes and Dixon will get more only if they are affective while out there.

The problem is that Flip's hook will be quicker than Jim Leylands if any of the guys under the age of 26 lay an egg while out there. The starters got a lot of rest and it will give Flip an excuse to play them 38-40 mins in the playoffs and over 40 if the games are tight or we are still behind midway thru the 3rd.....

As far your comments on Stuckey, I do want him to drive too, but I would rather see Tay, Billups and Rip follow that lead sometimes and do it too, as they should surely get the calls and more and 1 situations than Stuckey. If you have two players on your team hitting close to or over 90%, those guys should be going to the line a combined 20+ times a game...I am old school here and I saw Magic and Jordan steal and seal games and rings at the charity stripe in the 80's and 90's.
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

It did not matter who was on the floor last night. The Piston's D was shredded. The story of the game was the absolute ease that Philly scored with versus DET's O which couldn't get closer than 20' from the hoop. I don't think Dixon or Hayes had anything to do with it.

Aside from AA, Green beat Stuckey backdoor repeatedly.
  7. LA Dre

And if we face them in the second round AI2 and Green will beat Stuckey, AA and Dice repeatedly again......Also we will need to box out Sam Dalembert too, dude got 13 boards on our so called leapers...:messer:
  8. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

It's not lack of acknowledgement. It's not basing your opinion on one game. If AA doesn't play well in one game, it doesn't negate how well he's played ALL season.
  9. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

You make it sound like AA is Ben Wallace on offense.
  10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

If you taped the game, rewatch the 3rd quarter. Some pretty good defense was played there, with Afflalo doing a fine job on Greene.
  11. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

that's what i meant. these are game threads, so why not acknowledge when a player has an off-night in those threads? i'm not talking overall. look, i love afflalo's defense and he's played great against some awesome players, without knowing their tendencies or anything. but green lit him up in the 1st quarter, and i was the 1st (and only) person to say something about it.
  12. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Watch out or I'll start calling him a malcontent next. :stirthepot:
  13. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Point taken. I think it's maybe because he is usually great defensively, and there are others that are really bad, it just doesn't get mentioned. I'm sure if it it's a few games in a row, ppl will start talking about it.

Also, Flip tends to favor the no defense offense player. AA slips in and out of the rotation with no real reason. That's probably why i feel the need to defend him. Same reason there was a huge outcry about Amir.

I actually do think there are situations Dixon would be useful in. I just don't trust Flip to make the right adjustments.
  14. LA Dre

I haven't trusted his adjustments since he showed up at the palace in 2005...I am still waiting for him prove that he can coach a NBA team past round 3....but I am optimistic that this is the year.....
  15. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Welcome to my world, Dre.
    :hoops:
  16. max

max All-Star

If our chances of getting to the finals hinges on Afflalo then we may as well just pack it now because it ain't going to happen if thats the case.

I have to remain optomistic that the 3rd time will be the charm for Flip and the Pistons. They must have learned something from the past 2 ECF's.
  17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Insult Affalo all you want. We still win when he plays, and lose when he does not.
  18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Warthog, not that your powers of observation are generally all that bad, but in this case, you are very mistaken.

Green only scored twice in the first quarter while Afflalo was in the game. Perhaps you failed to notice that Afflalo was taken out of the game five minutes in? One of those scores was Greene using a pick well and getting a quick shot off. Very hard to defend that. Greene was also hounded into a turn. And he had one layup. That is hardly lighting someone up.

You want to be fair, tell me how many times in this game Afflalo was burnt, then tell me how many times Dixon was burnt. This is a very fair comparison since they were both playing shooting guard minutes.

Now tell me how many times Afflalo let his man get inside, causing a guy to be open on the other team. Dixon? Now tell me how many times Afflalo let his guy get past him, and it resulted in one of our bigs having to foul. Dixon? I know the answers, do you?
  19. max

max All-Star

How is that an insult?
  20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

lmao. Hey, this is the equivalent of a Lion's Superbowl run!

Me neither. I suppose I like Sheed just a tiny bit more than everyone else.

It's super insulting max. If you keep insulting Afflalo like this, the Pistons WILL LOSE in the first round. :rolleyes: :pound: :hoops: