At Philadelphia April 9th 7PM

Discussion in 'April 2008' started by max, Apr 8, 2008.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I somewhat concur here. You think him starting with the vets would improve his game somewhat, but although the defense is there, his shot has been a little short. Maybe he is playing to many minutes and he is worned out:)

Also I apreciate Stuckey attacking the rim, but he still is not getting enough calls to warrant 3-4 attacks in a row. . If he his going to do this somebody needs to hovering around the baseline and be prepared to receive the quick pass for the handoff and ez baseline layup. I guess it is probably to late to add this to Flip's playbook for this season:confused:

2. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

both AJ and max do not read game well..jet, vets have got many quick passes from stuck, they know where to be.

And for dixon critics: he is in this roster only sg who can create his own shot. And you cant defend against of faastbreaks. And name me one, who in this game defended well. He And struckey are adequate scorers, max, AJ,AA are opportunists.

3. max

max All-Star

It is tough going without your leading scorer for so long and its starting to show. The other starters are just not stepping up.

There goes the 60 win season.

4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

What, you think Dixon is? Dixon can score, but if you have paid attention to the last two games, you would also notice that Dixon can not defend. Not even at all.

Sure, Afflalo does need to take a lot of shots between now and the playoffs to get his comfort level up.

Here is how it goes. The coach is suppose to have a plan about how to win. Then you follow that plan. What is Flip's plan? To play Dixon, regardless of how many points he gives up on defense? Very poor plan. Lots of points given up, and foul trouble on our bigs since everyone drives right by Dixon and gets inside.

Here is a good plan: Play Afflalo extensively in the playoffs. To that end, he should be getting a whole lot of playing time, and asked to take about 14 shots a game these last 4 games.

Look at the 3rd quarter last night. Very solid defense from Afflalo. Contrast that to what we got from Dixon - some points on offense, and a ton of points given up on defense. Not to mention how disheartening to the team it must be to try to play D to no avail since they are going to go right thru Dixon for scores.

Afflalo can score too. If given all those shots, he just might score as much as Dixon. He is taller and more able to get a shot off in many cases. But hey, maybe he would not score quite as much. Maybe a coupleof buckets less per game. But Affllao will give up a lot less points than Dixon.

5. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

There is no question that AA is a better defender than Dixon, however, he would foul out in a quarter during the playoffs. The rookie "booga boo" would get him!!!!!!!!!

6. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Sorry, lee, but game isnt one-man-herioc -defence. Iguadola penetrated against of everyone and dixon actually helped to keep somewhat decent score( not falling below -10). Yep afflalo is fantastic defender but... you cant "schedule" how to gain shooting touch. Afflalo works surely hard on his shot but sometimes hard work pays off, sometimes not. Nobody knows "sharpshooters recipes", thats why even in NBA are so many bad shooters, etc.

Of course, I'd like to see afflalo over dixon but afflalo has just too many glaring minuses for being decent backup to rip. and "thanks" to afflao inabilities flip has to play dixon.And vice versa.

7. fwoompf

fwoompf First Round Draft Pick

Was anyone else pretty impressed by how Philly looked? That's a fun team to watch, I'll have to do it more in the future.

8. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Is there any stat to show this that Dixon's offense is lesser than his defense? and vice versa for AA?

9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

There are quite a few stats that do this. All of the stats seem to show that Dixon is more productive on the court on both ends than Afflalo.

Detroit Pistons NBA stats and data from 82games.com

Dixon's defense is not as bad as Lee claims while Afflalo's defense is not as good as Lee claims. It's just a subjective view of things. It will be interesting to hear Lee's rationale for "How the stats lie".

10. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I am thinking that AA/Dixon will be a two headed backup 2 once the playoffs get going, if scoring is needed more dixon gets the call if defense is needed more then AA will get the call. Both are playing a bit out of position at the moment when your saying there taking part of the 35 or so mins that Rip will be in the game once he returns and by what was said last night that will be Fri night.

11. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

In terms of AA/Dixon, i rely on what i see. More often than not Dixon gives points to the other team whether it be turning the ball over (which he has cut down) or getting scored on. He gets blown by, he gets lost in screens, and he's short. He scores points and then gives them right back. He's a weak link on defense that will exploited in the PO's. The fact that he plays with Hayes makes it worse.

What we need in the PO's is defense. We already have one weak link in Hayes. We don't need to add another. Dixon can be useful at times, but if he's going to play over AA, we're in trouble. You can't afford to just give the opposition a way to get points. Dixon at times might as well be wearing a "If you want to score" sign with an arrow pointing at him.

AA also has value on offense. He's a good ball handler, he can push the break, and i just look at any points he gives as an extra bonus.

Do you feel more comfortable with Dixon or AA on Ray Allen? Hell on Eddie House?

Also using Iguadola is not a valid example. He's an SF. Mo Cheeks plays him at SG at times to create matchup problems which seems to work very well against us. So of course defending him out of position will be hard for both players.

12. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

There are other ways to look at it too. It's all well and good to say that any points from AA are a bonus, but as of now, he can't jumpers--AT ALL. And that has an effect on everyone else on the floor. Teams can sag off him to double the post or leave him open in the corner when they're trapping on the other side of the floor, and he simply cannot make them pay for it. I do hope he can do that in the future--he was a good scorer in college and people can certainly improve their jumpers in the NBA, as Stuckey has already done this season--but as of now, AA simply cannot hit ANY outside shots. Dixon is clearly a lot more reliable in that department.

On defense, AA is obviously bigger and stronger than Dixon, which is clearly an advantage for him. But he's also a rookie and more prone to get fouls called on him, especially in the playoffs.

AA does have good things about his game that I like. He works very hard and I'm confident that he'll get better; by this time next season, I'm willing to believe that he'll solidly be a better option than someone like Dixon. But as of right now, i.e. the playoffs that start in about 10 days, I simply don't see him being much better than Dixon. It seems to me that splitting the spot duty between one or the other in the upcoming playoffs, depending on matchups, might be the best way to go.

13. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Actually, Flip's plan is worse. It's to pace the players (starters) who will win in the playoffs and find a good balance between our reserves, based on individual skills. What a weirdo, huh? :stirthepot:

14. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

You know what? I don't think any team would go 16-0 in the playoffs. Therefore I don't mind that they lose all the games on Wednesdays in the playoffs, as long as they win all the other games not scheduled on Wednesdays.:)

15. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Totally agreed. It's all about MATCHUPS and ADJUSTMENTS in a playoff series.

16. max

max All-Star

Bottom line is if Rip gets injured again then we are in big trouble. AA or Dixon are both fine in a reduced role off the bench but you can't rely on either of them for quality extended mins.

Lee - Its amazing how you can always come up with all these excuses as to why you favorite players are not playing well.

17. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Pistons will need a lot of Joe input if that's the case. We've all seen (pun intended) adjustments that Flip has made in previous playoffs.

18. mikhail1973

Pistons bench gets schooled by Philly | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Did the guy actually watch the game? Bench was what kept the game close I thought. The starters came out disinterested and spotted Philly a lead. I dunno, sometimes the writers go McKoskey on us.
    On the other hand, is it realistic to expect our bench, which is no doubt getting better, to come back against a playoff caliber team?

19. mikhail1973

20. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

why do people refuse to acknowledge poor play from their pet players? willie green was eating afflalo up last night. he even got a fast break on AA because AA wasn't paying attention. and his shot is consistently short lately. dixon is a much worse defender but he's also a much better scorer (although he turns it over a lot more). i'm not advocating one over the other, just trying to state facts from the game that others seemed to have missed.

i want stuckey to continue driving...he HAS to learn how to finish at the rim sooner or later, and when he does we'll be all set. he is achieving a better balance - 6 assists last night, but there were times where he drove and foolishly put up a shot rather than kicking it out. but that takes time. he's had 5 or more FTs in his past 4 games, so he is getting some respect, and he might as well keep doing it so the referees know. plus he's shooting his FTs much more consistently now.