at Philadelphia 76ers Wednesday April 13 8:00 pm

Discussion in 'April 2011' started by roscoe36, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

C'mon really? I'm not giving ANYONE credit for making potato crisp passes. Seriously? They teach you how to make a pass in 8th grade and I'm supposed to give this guy credit for doing it AS A PROFESSIONAL PLAYER? Never in a million years. Wow...so we played pretty much the worst the league has to offer to close the season and Stuckey scores a lot...Yea...going to buy my #3 jersey while they're hot. I suppose you also want to reward Chris Wilcox with a multi-year max deal as well.

As to the 'right to argue with the coach'...Unless you win 4 DPOY awards, are Finals MVP, or the leading scorer on a championship team...you've earned the right to shut the hell up and do what you're told.

The problem has nothing to do with how long you've been here or how well the team is doing. Joe made the mistake of not clearing house once he decided to let Ben walk and trade Chauncey. That has NO bearing on Stuckey being an under-performing jacka** who decides when he wants to follow instructions. Stuckey wasn't here in 2004 and has no concept of what winning on the NBA level consistently is going to take and is in no way skilled enough to fight with ANY head coach on what he is or is not going to do. The only stat he is qualified to lead the league in is ROD (Running Over Defenders) and the trophy for that is the train from 'Unstoppable'
  2. copper

copper Bench Warmer

well if ya dont give stuckey props for his passing I guess the rest of the team was beyond horrible cuz he was by far the best option at the point we had. As far as what it takes to be able to talk back to coach? Tay has done none of your pre-requesites and he was backtalker " buffoonery" #1. Winning the ship didnt teach him how to behave like a pro. Stuckey was brought into this organization to learn from the old guard which won the whole thing( what better people to learn from) and he did learn 1 lesson loud and clear...if you dont like what the coach has to say? wait a year and get a new one. You cant blame him for being a product of his environment, as much as you can blame a thiefs kid not to steal. My hope is that Joe settles on a stern coach who can bring stability to the young core we have so we dont lose any of them the same way we are losing stuckey.
    Can you say Jerry Sloan?
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Tay didn't win a title and get named to All-NBA Defensive teams? That doesn't measure up to dropping 20 and 10 on the Nets in game 78?
  4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Now that is a post right there Piston fans.
  5. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Also loved his post...just not sure if he's a Stuckey fan? :)
  6. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

@ The Low:

F.Y.I.
    Roscoe's curse filter allows the word "jackass".
    It's perfectly acceptable to refer to Rod Stuckey as an "under-performing jackass".
  7. copper

copper Bench Warmer

I was reffering to this caption from above post "As to the 'right to argue with the coach'...Unless you win 4 DPOY awards, are Finals MVP, or the leading scorer on a championship team...you've earned the right to shut the hell up and do what you're told."
    all of which Tay did none.. so he should shut the hell up.
    Tay is the epitome of what is wrong with the team, He leads in no way on the floor or lockerroom from what has been said. He is the first to berate and fight with the coach on the sideline during a game. And his play in no way should allow him to do this crap. Yet he is the one mainstay that our young guys have to look up to as far as learning from the old championship team. Rip was in and out of doghouse all season so they werent lookin up to him, and ben was injured and playing small minutes so it wasnt him either.
  8. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Dang Stuckey-lover.
  9. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Winning teams don't allow for double standards among their players and how they are handled. Poppovich will chew out Duncan just as easily as he chews out the 12th man on the roster.

Like, I said, I don't give a CRAP about who's done what in the past. Prince being named to an all defensive team 3 years ago, and Hamilton being named to an all star team 4 years ago doesn't give them any more right to defy authority than every other player on the roster. Why is Stuckey the only one who did wrong in your eyes? Simply because YOU don't like him?? That's fine, but admit that as such and don't try to hide behind these other excuses for only chewing out Stuckey for his petulant behavior and excusing the others for theirs.

You wanna know what causes locker-room dissension? Just that, not treating all players as equals. And it's no surprise that the Pistons are the most dysfunctional team in the league. You can put it all on your scapegoat (Rodney Stuckey). That's fine, even though I disagree. I'll keep looking at it in a more realistic light.
  10. Pwn Toney

You are absolutely right, and I was no less critical of Prince when he did it....AND I was just as annoyed as most people when Joe came out at the trade deadline talking about wanting to re-sign prince. However, the discussion was about Stuckey so I focused on him. Joe is to blame for this coaching carousel, the players took advantage of it, and Joe compounded the problem by not punishing people for it.
  11. Pwn Toney

The difference is Popovich didn't have to deal with Duncan refusing to enter games in his 3rd season in the league. This isn't even about who's done what in the past. The fact of the matter is, Stuckey is the one refusing to enter games or follow instructions, Stuckey is the one who is not a good perimeter shooter, Stuckey is the one who plays like 25/7 ast in a loss is a good game for him.

...and don't accuse me of doing something if you don't know what you're talking about. I didn't excuse anyone for anything...I was just as pissed at Tayshaun for being an idiot and have gone on at length on PF about being able to trade Tay and not miss him (PFPodshow anyone?). Hamilton was clearly benched in error and Joe and Kuester should take some crap for that. So, you can be annoyed because we don't like YOUR guy...but, you don't get to toss around false accusations just to support your displeasure.

ALL PLAYERS ARE NOT EQUAL. Get used to the concept. Life is not fair and this is NOT a democracy. (I might have a few other cliches for you as well...)
    Acting as though Stuckey should be revered just the same as Hamilton, Wallace, & Billups, or like he should be able to DEMAND some kind of fearful respect from the coaching staff is ludicrous at best. He hasn't earned it...period.
  12. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

What exactly has Hamilton done in the last three years to "earn" the right to berate his coach? Please do tell me how he has "earned" that and Stuckey hasn't. Hamilton's been a worse player than Stuckey with a worse attitude, but yeah, let's just excuse his actions and vilify Stuckey for his. More double standards.

If ANYTHING, Prince, Hamilton and Wallace should be held to HIGHER standards since they are the supposed "leaders" of this team.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

All players have the right to disagree with their coach. It's all in how they communicate their disagreement that defines their leadership status.

The players who properly communicate their grievances (behind closed doors and not in front of the other players) will not stand out to us. We'll never know how professional some of the guys are behind the scenes. But the ones that do jump out at us are the ones who talk to the media, conspire with the other players, tweet, pout, refuse to enter games, laugh when the coach gets ejected, etc.

This also goes the other way too. Coaches who are good leaders go about things in a much different way than Kuester has.

And the GM can make it better or worse by his actions and inactions.

I'd say that this year we had poor leadership at all 3 of these levels. The players who did everything right form a leadership standpoint (Will Bynum for example) are unfortunately not the ones who are in a position to lead the team, due to their average abilities, low salary, youth, and other reasons.

There is a double standard for PG's. If you show poor leadship qualities as a PG, expect to have the fans turn on you. When a PG is on the court he is the leader because he has the ball and it makes sense that the control he exhibits on the court will extend off the court.

I personally don't feel strongly about Stuckey. To me, he's a skilled player and the most consistent on the team, but he hasn't shown me many leadership qualities, other than playing hard night in and night out. He's not a good interview, he doesn't seem to be verbal on the court, he doesn't have the other players on his side, he has trouble with the coach, etc. He's not the "mayor".
  14. copper

copper Bench Warmer

I can agree with that
  15. Pwn Toney

You are completely missing the point. In what universe would I be arguing FOR the player I want to berate the coach? That's lunacy. The point I'm making is that players who have earned the position/stature on the team through their play/performance will be given the benefit of the doubt if they disagree with the coach publicly. THE REALITY OF THIS SITUATION IS: Whether YOU like the vets or not....ANY NBA TEAM (Their fans included) will have more patience with their star players than with young players who are not as accomplished, need to improve, AND show a poor attitude (Darko anyone?).

This team does not exist in a vacuum and pretending that Stuckey is just as accomplished or on the same level career-wise as Richard Hamilton is pure fallacy. If those two guys walk into Joe's office today...10 times out of 10, whatever Hamilton says is going to carry more weight with Joe, whether it's positive or negative. Hamilton was the leading scorer on a championship team and a 3-time all-star. Stuckey is, well...., a guy. You're fooling yourself if you think that doesn't make any difference in interaction between players, coaches, and management.
  16. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

This is a very fair and solid post, TaS.
  17. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

what?????? Next you'll be telling me that certain players get calls that others don't from the refs.... unreal... :P

P.S. great post. Dead on.
  18. Ernie the Slow Adult

Well maybe someone else's office..........