at Philadelphia 76ers Friday February 25 7:00 pm

Discussion in 'February 2011' started by roscoe36, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I don't often get emotional, my fellow PF.com members, but I felt I should admit that I nearly punched out my good friend Chester Thomas, in a fit of passionate Piston rage of course, after yesterday's deadline debacle and today's practice predicament. I've since calmed down, and I'm simply ready for another exciting night of NBA basketball.

I b3lieve in the DETermined Pistons!

GO PISTONS!

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Big game tonight. With illness spreading around the locker room, even our healthy players might be a little under the weather. Hopefully Summers can carry this team tonight and assert himself as the new leader on the team.

3. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

silvertongue reports from twitter that starters are: BG, CV, Bynum, Summers and Monroe.

Summer league during winter? Yeah, that is right

4. Susie914

Susie914 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

It does my heart proud to hear you talking about Sheed.

5. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

something just struck on me: pistons has to play back to back games and our opponent tomorrow is ...Utah

poor six guys who refuse to go on strike.

6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Yeah Lee with NFL and only 16 games you must play to win all the games. With 82 games there's some Leeway for development. But it doesn't take more than 20 games of analysis to find your best rotation and stick with it.
    And rotating 1 extra bench guy isn't going to kill you.

7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Don't see this posted here yet. ESPN article. Updated just minutes ago. Apparently, a team boycott of a shootaround was going to happen before the break, but someone told some of the players Kuester was getting canned during the break - so they called that boycott off. Then, well, Kuester did not get fired, so this all happened this morning. But - nobody says who those "sources" were, nor who told who what as far as Kuester getting fired. Basically, this article is real thin on facts. I'd like to know who really just had a headache - who really just happened to miss the bus, etc. The article does say that its "team sources" who claim there was a boycott at all. Anyway, I still would love to hear all sides of the story before making any judgements.

Sources: Some Detroit Pistons AWOL to protest coach - ESPN

8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Sounds like Wiggs.
    Workin' both sides.

9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

OK, as awful as everything has been, gotta give respect to the 6 who showed up to work and DID THEIR JOB! Bynum played and competed all 48 minutes and Greg Monroe really showed me something on the court and off the court.

11. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

also I noticed, how "proud 6" totally ignored those laughing and joking idiots.

12. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Didn't one of the Proud 6 tweet what an idiot the coach was to the world the previous game after he gave up roughly 30 pts and 16 offensive boards in his 4 minutes of play?

13. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

tweeter (yeah, we know)was right. only dumb coach puts player like this one on the court.

14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Only comment on the game. Despite everything else going on, in the end, it was just another Pistons loss, right in Kuester's comfort zone.

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

At least we know what Bynum's 48-minute stats look like.

Pretty strange game in that he was blocked 6 times and still shot 50% from the field. Maybe the first time in NBA history where that has happened? Probably an unsearchable stat. It really was unbelievable that Will got 24 points in the paint against Philly.

It was both interesting and sad watching these 6 go for an entire game against a full rotation of athletic shot blockers, fast breakers, and dunkers from Philly. Overall, our guys put up a noble fight.

I don't really know what to say about this disaster of a team overall though. But think realistically about Joe's options at this point. It's tempting to say that he should go nuclear and suspend all these guys... but the team is for sale and there are final negotiations in the works. How much does this whole episode affect the value of the team? What does a buyer pay for a team in the cellar with 6+ talented players on suspension and a bunch of D-League scabs suited up?

If this were a larger corporation, the bankruptcy lawyers would be licking their chops right now. Gores should be cutting his purchase price in half right now.

16. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

somebody correct me if I am wrong... but arn't we stuck with the 15 guys on the roster whether they are suspended or not? So no D-League calls ups or the like, but White may be getting some real mins real soon if his body can handle it.

Unless there is more to why they were sat last night, on a case by case situation. I'd say you let the 2 players that showed up late yesterday play... but go with that 8 man rotation for the time being.... the rest can rot at home.

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

But if you're Karen Davidson, what do you think about that? These are disgruntled players that Dumars acquired who are disgruntled because they can't get along with a coach that Dumars hired while Joe has been completely silent. What if he now sends half the team home while she's trying to sell this thing.

Dumars completely dropped the ball for her and the players are actively going out of their way to destroy the value of the franchise (and their own future in this league). It's an all out travesty. I'd say that Kuester is the most innocent one here, but he actually seems like an extremely passive aggressive guy. Rip messes up his desk, he doesn't say a word, then he benches him for the rest of the season (except for one game). He's acting like he has the clout of a Jerry Sloan, when not even Jerry Sloan has the clout to win a battle against a star player.

At this point, I don't see any good solutions. Whatever path is chosen has to be the one that maximizes the value of the franchise and allows a sale to take place, even if it is at a lower value. In all reality, this probably involves firing Kuester and playing out the rest of the season with a bunch of spoiled (and now tainted) players. If the franchise can be sold, Dumars probably gets canned by the buyer. If the franchise can't be sold, Karen probably fires Dumars at the end of the season.

18. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

It's starting to look like Curry's lament. Messing with the rotation and minutes too much.

19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

So, in the end, we lose a game because of a misunderstanding. I see a lot of condemnation of the players for:

1)laughing - as a lot of fans right behind them were laughing about something

2) making this public - which actually only somebody in management actually did. Management reported an event that did not exist, and the players get condemned for not playing?

Basically, just another example of Kuester not being able to communicate with his players, anyone of which could have told him that there was no boycott Friday morning.

The two guys who missed the team bus because the bus left a half hour early, while nobody informed them of the change, at most deserved a small fine. At least Stuckey and Daye should have been playing. And since TMAC had an excuse from practice, no way he should not have played.

Apparently, the coach overreacted to a bunch of nothing, chose to lose by playing guys until they dropped, and again, is right in his comfort level. Losing is completely comfortable to him, so losing this game to send some kind of message, no matter how mistimed and unneeded, probably made him feel good. Nothing like a good excuse.

20. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

The game was in Philly and they were dressed like Philly fans. I'm pretty sure they were laughing at our coach (and therefore our orginization). You know that it's a lot different when players representing and paid by your team do it, and some opposing fans do it.