1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

at Orlando Magic Wednesday February 17 7:00 pm

Discussion in 'February 2010' started by roscoe36, Nov 3, 2009.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Detroit Pistons at Orlando Magic

Wednesday February 17

7:00 pm

Local TV: FS Detroit

Nat'l TV:

Radio: 97.1 The Ticket

2. yes-sir

yes-sir First Round Draft Pick

Go Pistons!

3. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Just to piss off Howard, the pre-game show should include a Shaq tribute.

4. roscoe36

5. Kidstealth

Kidstealth First Round Draft Pick

I at least don't have to worry about the game buffering or the stream dying today :)

Go Pistons!!!

6. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Pistons losing after 1st quarter. I'll go to church now (Ash Wednesday) to see if that helps. :fingerscr :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Magic 116 - Pistons 91
    It helped in the second quarter Nemo as they came back to lead right before the half before settling for a 1 pt deficit.

After that it was just the opposite of yesterday....the Magic broke out to a 12 pt lead before the Pistons trimmed it to six point 3rd qtr deficit. The Pistons had a total collapse in the 4th getting out dunked and out three pointed to the tune of 33-14. (Last night we did the same in the 3rd qtr to the Twolves 33-13)...

Rip had a game high 36 points, making a final push at being trade-able, but it did not come close to matching Superman Howard's performance of 33 pts, 17 boards, 7 blocks and 8 dunks. We had no answer for him as he earned his all star fee/stripes .. we had no one who could stop him as either Kwame refuse to go out there or coach Q forgot he had him on the bench. Max and Ben were helpless.

The Magic made more threes than we took. Their bench out scored ours 31-11

Once again CV was a no show with no points and only 3 mins PT. Bynum was held scoreless too, but Vinsanity and White Chocolate lit him up for points on the other end.

Ben Gordon was thrown out after he argued with the ref for not calling a foul on JJ Red who punk~slapped in on his right cheek.

Short summary...I will let Lee and others fill in the rest of the lowlights.

8. Walter

This one's on the coach more than anything. You are playing a team with size. One that boasts probably the top center in the league right now. And we defended that guy 1:1 by a 35 year old 6'9" Ben Wallace and an undersized PF in Maxiell. No wonder he dominated.

There were stupid double teams all night long on the defensive end, freeing up wide open shooters. The game plan seemed to be to let Howard get whatever he wants but shut down the rest of the Magic. Well, if that's your plan, you don't double team a perimeter shooter.

No Kwame. This is one of the few games where we actually needed his size.

There were long stretches of micro ball with 3 guards, JJ, JMax. Why on earth is Kuester.... nevermind, I'll wait for Lee to handle that part.

Well, what was good? Rip had a great game with season high 36 points. JJ was decent. Max tried his best. His jumper is really starting to improve. Tay played ok too. But that's about it.

There were plenty of bad, but the key was that because of Howard, our guards couldn't penetrate. When they can't do that, we end up needing Rip to score all of our points; which works really well...for the other team. We had so many posessions where all 5 guys are standing around passing the ball to each other on the perimeter like a hot potato and whoever happens to have the ball toward the shot clock violation ends up hoisting a long 2 or a 3 ball. Magic didn't even need to play defense in this game.

If these last two games were at the beginning of the season, I would've been hopeful and enthusiastic. Maybe even come up with excuses trying to eke out a moral victory. But, with our record being what it is, this was just another day at the farm.

9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This game is reason that it makes no sense for the Pistons to someone make it to the playoffs this year. Why would you want to see 4 consecutive games of the Magic or Cavs humiliate the team like this?

10. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I kind of thought they were on the verge of a comeback when Gordon got selfishly ejected.

Things probably would have been better also if Rip's ball hogging didn't throw Stuckey's shot off.

11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Hey we competed for 3 qtrs. 3 things really killed us in this game:
    1. Small Ball. How many shots did Orl make with Little Will Bynum's hand in their face? If there was no small ball that would have been a 6'5" Rodney Stuckey, maybe they still make the shot, maybe not, but I take my chances with 6'5" over 5'10" anyday.
    2. Stuckey nor Will Bynum could stay in front of Jameer Nelson, purely pathetic.
    3. Nobody on the team, sans Rip, could make a shot, again pathetic. We struggled to score over 90pts.
    I know most folks want a team that can defend, because as we all know DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!!! But! OFFENSE WINS GAMES! And before you can even think about winning a championship you need to win games to be eligible for the playoffs. Give me a team that can score 100pts and get out of the 1st rd of the playoffs and eventually they'll start hustling on the defensive end.

12. roscoe36

I tried to make this case in the last year and it didn't go over well. Almost every champion besides the Spurs and Pistons in recent history was a 99+ PPG squad.

That game was just painful to watch. The first one that bummed me out this year. We are a long, long way from being competitive.

13. Mossberg

Mossberg Bench Warmer 3x Fantasy Champion

Many times, the best defense is a great offense.

14. Walter

The thing that drives me crazy is that this team is capable of playing fluid offense. The movement in the Minny game was awesome. When we move the ball around and the players are in motion, we can score with ease. The problem is, we do that about 12-30% of the time during the course of a game. The rest of the time, we settle into the dribble-while-everyone-waits-around-for-23-seconds-and-throw-a-contested-desperation-shot routine.

We don't have great iso players on this team. We have players that can put the ball down and drive against poor-to-mediocre defense and guards that can penetrate but not at a consistent rate of success. We need to employ a team-oriented offense and shy away from ISOs.

Maybe we need a Euro coach.

15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Or a PG that can orchestrate an offense.

16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

1st of all, hey, Howard has improved. We fouled him a lot, just like the plan, and he stepped up and made 11-13 free throws. And he hit those hook shots he use to miss badly on. Sometimes the other team does have something to do with the loss.

But I say that begrudgingly. Look, we could use a coach. Did anyone else note how little rest Tay got in the first half? Yes, we played competively in the 1st half by limiting the small ball played. However, you don't play a guy coming off an injury that many minutes and expect him to any good for the game. Tay ended up shooting badly in this one. (He played high minutes for us the night before. In all 68 minutes in the 2 games.)

Bynum is hurting us defensively. Normally a decent defender, but without good footwork due to his bum ankles he just becomes a too short basketball player.

The crazy thing though, we play Bynum and Stuckey at the same time. We play Bynum just way too much considering his health. If Kuester just played Bynum when Stuckey needs rest that would actually mean Bynum would be helping the team. As is, that is not happening. Remember, Stuckey barely played the night before. He certainly could have played more in this one and limited Bynum's minutes.

OK, so the trade deadline is about to pass. Maybe Kuester was told to play Tay heavy minutes because some potential suitor wanted to see if Tay could actually play heavy minutes. And gee, he played heavy minutes, but shot terribly. I kind of doubt that is going to help interest. It seems playing players to their strength, and actually winning games, should help the interest level in our players the most. Kind of late now though.

Again, the biggest story this season for us is not the injuries, but rather how the coach responds to the injuries. Kuester has not played a backup small forward since Tay returned to the rotation. Not for a minute. And its lost us games.

I don't know why CV was limited to just 3 minutes. Maybe someone called during the game and Joe told Kuester to pull the guy. Who knows. I guess we will all know for sure in about 2 hours when the trade deadline passes.

Yes, we could have used Kwame. What a joke, to keep playing a guy that much just to keep him involved, but then leave him out of the games where he could possibly help. The way we have used Kwame this year is just a joke. We have lost games from him playing, but when he could help, he does not play.

Remember, Ben Wallace was not suppose to start. So how has that turned out. Ben Wallace has started every game, and we have a terrible season. Does not seem to be helping us any having him start. In all, Kuester likes to get into a rut, losing game after game, and never change anything. He is use to losing, sees nothing wrong with it.
    Stuckey started out well, had a good spurt to close out the 2nd quarter. But his opponent matched him way too easily.

Rip was shooting lights out, but we had problems scoring at times. Worse, his jumpshooting ways seemed to badly infect the rest of the team. Yes, I know Howard is in there, and having a great shotblocking game on us. But that does not mean you just give up on going inside. Oh, I guess its ok if Rip is on your team. Not.

JJ had a so so game. Daye just played a bit in GT. We kept our starters in way too late into the game. I was thinking groundhog day.

No Summers. No Atkins.

With the trade deadline gone, and the playoffs getting out of reach soon, what will happen next. Will Kuester start playing young guys. I doubt it. Cause with playing lots of young healthy players, it would give us way too much energy out there and we would win games. I doubt management would want that.

PS - we played lots of small ball in the 2nd half, indeed going all the way this time with Tay at power forward. Sick.

17. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Your bummed out status would have been relieved by the Idol chat right after the game. You left too soon. It is incredible that this is the first game that has bummed you out since 1/1/10.