at Orlando Magic Monday January 24 7:00 pm

Discussion in 'January 2011' started by roscoe36, Oct 19, 2010.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

2. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

No posts or chatters? Good game at the moment in Orlando.
  3. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Up by 10 at the half...all my money on the Pistons.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

5. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Sounds kinky.
  6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

End of the third the Pistons have scored 75 pts!!!!! yep they lead the Magic 75-65. Pistons maintain their 10 pt halftime, but did not score in the last 3 minutes, blowing several opportunities to extend the score with a lot of one on one play that led to blocks and turnovers. They had 14 pt lead during the qtr.

Oh yeah and they have missed 10 free throws.......
  7. Brap

Brap Starter

Really nice game. You know what looks like a really good combo out there for us? Daye and Tay - just a ton of length on the court for us. I still want Tay traded by the trade deadline, since he's gone next year regardless, but Tay really is playing good BB.

Daye is impressive - he's really coming on well.
  8. LA Dre

Pistons still have a spell over the Magic as the beat them 103-96 in Orlando.

Austin Daye had a career high 20 pts and hit two key threes (was 4-4 from beyond the arc) down the stretch and 3 FTs to seal the deal.

Pistons hit the 20 trifecta with Tmac and Tay also scoring 20 pts, and both Gordon and Stuckey each chipped in with 16. It was Tmac doing his damage in the first qtr and basically Gordon and Daye taking care of the scoring in the 4th. In fact the two of them had all the Pistons scoring off the bench (36 pts)

Pistons won despite missing 11 free throws. Magic big men Dwight Howard and Ryan Anderson got their points, but the Pistons scraggling defense was able to hold the rest of the players in check outside the arc as they missed 20 of their 27 three point attempts.

I can hear Ron Jeremy scolling and cussing now.

Pistons have now won 5 of 7 with really only the Nets loss as the black mark on the blotter.

Daye was the hero and was again trusted to be there in there end.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Wow, great win! We are looking like an 8 seed.

Who, knows, if all 3 of Wade, Lebron, and Bosh get injured in a first round match-up, it could be a series.
  10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Hero of the Game: Coach VanGundy! By playing Ryan Andersen it allowed us to play a hot shooting (and confident) Austin Daye 30=minutes mostly at PF. Everybody played great tonight (except Will Bynum) and we needed everybody to deliver in order to get this win. Stuckey was as clueless as his coach in the first half but in the 2nd half slowed down and played under control. Great win tonight and fun game to watch with lots of good basketball plays to watch on tape.
  11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I'd love to get that 7th or 8th seed and face off against Boston or Miami, we're not bad enough to get enough ping-pong balls to have a real shot a top 3 pick, so we may as well get guys like Austin Daye and Greg Monroe some playoff experience.
  12. Brap

Brap Starter

Whatever else everyone wants to blame Kuester for - the huge keys this season have been Daye's and Monroe's development. Both those guys are playing in key moments of games and down the stretch. Daye has been especially clutch - showing signs that he can be a prime time performer. K has got to get major credit for this. It's getting more and more clear that we've got a couple major building blocks in place, playing and looking really good.
  13. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

T-Mac gets a lot of credit for how he came out in the first quarter. !7 points and he set the tone for the rest of the game.
  14. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

It doesn't matter what name or number is on the back of their uniforms, it doesn't matter which decade the games are played in, it doesn't matter which city the games are played in. When the Orlando Magic see a Detroit Piston uniform they wet their pants. :MusicBigGrin:
  15. Mossberg

Mossberg Bench Warmer 3x Fantasy Champion

very true. We OWN them. Hell the Orlando broadcast crew was still bringing up the 2004 playoff series. LOL
  16. LA Dre

:pound::stooges::nerd2:
  17. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Pistons-Magic head-to-head

Since 03-04 season:
    38 games
    27 Piston wins
    71% (ownage)

Before 08-09 season:
    26 games
    21 wins
    80.8% (major domination, including a 4-1 playoff win in 2008 and an 8-game sweep in 06-07)

Since 08-09 season:
    12 games
    6 wins
    50% (average, which isn't bad considering we suck)
  18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Looking around tonight for a decent writeup of the game. No luck. So here goes mine. (Two sites only named 2 or 3 of our 20 point scorers. Whoever wrote the articles, they were not at the game, or paying attention to something else. Me, I did watch the game, with absolutely nothing but my own ooooh's and ahhh's distracting me.)

Tay's long jumper over Turk with Turk draped all over him made me gasp the loudest. But in all, it was Daye's pair of threes in the fourth that won the volume contest.

What a coincidence, all three of our small forwards scored 20 points tonight. Of note, the more Daye is involved as the backup to Tay, the better Tay gets. No more carrying the load all by himself. And by the way, who was playing what position? You would have to be a darn good lawyer to explain that one for the Pistons tonight. Much of the game, all three of these guys were in at the same time, playing collectively positions shooting guard thru power forward. A lot of length, a lot of talent out there between the 3.

TMAC got it going with 14 in the 1st quarter - or was it 17, something like that anyway. This included some outside shots from various points on the perimeter, some all the way to the basket hoops, and something I really liked seeing, TMAC stopping, on 3 occasions, and scoring somewhere in between. One was simple pull up from the right, the other two were a couple varieties of floaters from in front of the basket. Man, if this guy is going to continue to do that, oh my. Just love seeing it. Did I mention by the way, that superman, er Howard, did not seem to be able to bother TMAC in any way? Can TMAC ever dribble that ball in traffic.

I want to balance the elation by what stunk no end in this game. Bynum did make one good play in the game - an assist on that Gordon (16 points off the bench pretty evenly spaced over his time - mainly long jumpers) triple about midway into the 4th quarter. 0-7 otherwise, and could not even begin to initiate any kind of play for us. In addition, he was completely overmatched by Gilbert Arenas much of the time he was on the floor, providing exactly zero defense for us. Worse yet, he was not even fulfilling the function of resting our point guards - as often either Stuckey or TMAC was in with the guy. The one saving grace - the Pistons only had 2 turnovers in the first half - so our guards, including Bynum, did do a lot of getting the ball up the floor without turning it over. And even though Bynum did pretty much nothing, again, he at least did not turn it over much, gave the ball to someone else. Bynum was only minus 10 in this one since the guys he gave the ball to after dribbling most of the clock out were able to come up with some pretty good one on one stuff and score the ball. Orlando is a good defensive team, what with Howard haunting the middlde. All I could think of as Bynum played - he was depriving some 3rd grader of playing time. (Not talking about his height, but his skill level shown in this game. Ok, I'll admit, maybe a 6th grader should be substitued for the 3rd grader - but I won't give Bynum anymore a break than that. (And he did guard the diminutive Nelson just fine. Yeah, and I have seen the comments about how Orlando has this love affair with Nelson - no way he should play hardly any basketball with Arenas on the team.)

Tay made shots all game long. Getting inside. Driving guys, mostly Turk, or shaking them off and making short jumpers. He also made 2 or 3 longer range shots. A darn good night shooting for him, and again I caught going out to the perimeter full force to bother shots, which seems to be catchy among his teammates.

Howard did make some free throws - but we had him rattled good in that 2nd half by one player after another taking turns to foul him rather than let him score the ball at the hoop. Great strategy.

We basically won this one by getting ahead late in the 2nd quarter, with a lot of starters in, but Wallace a lot at center, and Daye (11 points in the quarter) instead of Wilcox. (foul trouble, as we had already started fouling Howard as a strategy, meant several different bigs played that quarter, even JMAX who got in for just that minute in this game.)

We bumped the lead from 10 up to 14 to start the 3rd, and the lead see sawed up and down, hitting 14 two more times. Just a ton of clutch shots, much needed baskets as they say, in that 2nd half. Things got dicey mid-4th quarter. Bynum finally sat - with us still with a 5 point lead. Who exactly finished the game - Stuckey, TMAC, Daye, Monroe, and Tay. The Tay shot over Turk occurred here, at least one of, but I think both, of Daye's triples. Just one very exciting game to watch. The game remained well within Orlando's reach until a pair of possessions, wherein both teams scored 2 points, took the game clock from about 3 minutes down to about one minute with both teams getting offensive rebounds after misses. Just got to love the clock at times like that.

A truly horrid call helped get Orlando back in the game. Who was it though, I think Tay, got in front of his guy with great footwork, and for his troubles got elbowed by the offensive player pretty hard and a foul called on Tay. That should have kept it a ten point game right there with precious time slipping away.

More to write. We saw a few instances of good interior passing between Monroe and Wilcox - that resulted in buckets mind you. As these seem to be our two starting bigs now, great to see that kind of chemistry brewing. By the way, great to see Ben in a role he can truly thrive in - off the bench. Ben pulled down 11 boards, played his usual fine D, and contributed fouls on Howard when needed - with no worry of personal foul trouble since - hey - he is just a bench player now. Absolutely the perfect role for Ben Wallace right now - and you won't find better.

Yeah, some have noticed - our defensive rotation really looks sharp with CV out of the rotation. Will Kuester stick to what he has stated - keep playing what is getting wins? Or will his love of playing CV override that. I hope not.

Stuckey did nothing to start the game except maybe act as a decoy, getting over to the right of the basket like he was going to try to drive in - then he passed the ball. Worked fine, often with TMAC ending up scoring - if not Tay. As soon as Wilcox drew that key 2nd foul (or did he draw the first and Monroe the 2nd?), Stuckey drove the lane for a score. Stuckey ended up scoring 16 points himself, a lot of them at the free throw line down the stretch - either from driving or posting up tiny Jameer, or from desperately trying to stop the clock. Darn good show by Stuck at the free throw line.

Wilcox's biggest contribution was giving those fouls he had to give - at the appropriate time.

Hamilton and Summers were the two guys dressed who did not play. It seems CV remains day to day.

Fantastic win, over a team that is healthy, a team that is playoff bound, a team that was 13-3 prior to coming into this game, over a home team with an 8 game home win streak. Playoffs here we come.

More on Daye's great game. Great D, lots of bounds, in addition to all those points. Forgot to mention the crossover where he completely lost his guy, and hit the ensuing jumper. Sweet. And that was part of his ice in the vains confident 4th quarter heroics.

GO PISTONS!!!!!
  19. LA Dre

Agree that Ben coming off the bench is going to be a great help to the team. He's looked fresh the last two games after sitting out with the injury.

The problem with Bynum having a great game...like he did Saturday night vs the Suns, he cannot duplicate in the next game because he tries to much. No way he should have tried to challenge DHoward unless he had 5 fouls on him, but he hot blocked twice and was 0-7 from the floor trying to stuff vs the Magic that he got away vs the Suns.

If Daye and Gordon are hitting consistently, we may not need CV's offense...if they aren't then we do need him despite the shakey D....pair him with Ben off the bench.....one defensive minded and the other offensive minded.
  20. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Great LeeCap!

Ben Wallace in this new role is awesome, good tough defense, rebounds and energy off the bench, I think the pairing of him and CV together will help keep up our defensive intensity with the 2nd unit while keeping GM's minutes to around 30 instead of 40.

I agree with Dre about Bynum, he tried too hard to carry over what he did against Phx and just looked awful. When CV gets back Bynum needs to understand that he really needs to earn his check by harassing the guards for 94 feet and get the ball into the hands of Gordon,CV and Daye, hopefully he's up for the task.

T-Mac just keeps teasing us, gotta believe that towards the end of the season as we're fighting for playoff seeding (I believe it's possible to catch a slumping NY team for the #6 seed) he'll be hitting his stride full steam!