at Orlando Magic Friday November 6 7:00 pm

Discussion in 'November 2009' started by roscoe36, Nov 2, 2009.

1. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

cosigned
  2. Kidstealth

Kidstealth First Round Draft Pick

The more I see of Jerebko ...

Love the guy coming in, was talking about him, even though a lot of the press expected him to be buried in the depth chart, and I like what he does on the court.

He has looked a lot less nervous out there and has improved the past couple games.
  3. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

this is family forum.

...and in the Green Room there is "Dreams" thread. Please, post there.

:banplease
  4. max

max All-Star

No harm done. Appreciate the enthusiasm. Maybe it would have been ok undetected - I edited it out.
  5. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

We lost, but I think it was one of those losses that eventually makes your team better in the long run.
    Our young guys (JJ,Daye) played very well and were instrumental in the teams success(the last 3 qtrs).

I think Max is playing himself back into the rotation while Wilcox is clearly playing himself out of it.

I think we may finally have figured out how and when to get Charlie going, which is good because his overall play is contingent on how well he's doing offensively. I still think he's a bench player.

Our small lineups didn't hurt us, we actually forced them to go small.

Stuck started 7/10 and finished 9/18, has yet to figure out how to put it together for the whole game.

BTW, do you know what you call players like Charlie, Stuckey and Tayshaun Prince who can't give you 30+mins of really good basketball? BENCH PLAYERS!!!! Time to move some dead weight Joe and just get a Mutha Effin starter!
  6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Even though we lost, lots of good stuff to hope on. Daye scored 11, mostly in the first few minutes he was on the floor. Not shy to shoot. His defense looks pretty solid. Too bad we are so stuck on the 3 guard thing - cause we could go big with Daye in the backcourt.

Jerebko looks like a solid player. But nothing spectacular. So far, he is not making outside shots (and missed his free throws), and not rotating well enough out to the perimeter. Of course, who knows, maybe with some experience he will get better yet. Meanwhile he is all hustle.

Villanueva scored 22 in the 4th, 28 total. Remember, he missed most of the preseason. He did hit one three, but the rest of that scoring was mostly created by him driving the ball toward the basket. Orlando had nobody to stop him. He helped get Howard fouled out of the game - but too late. Howard had zero fouls to start the 2nd half.

They say Prince has no timetable to return, and Rip is out at least one more week yet. Remember, Prince was played heavy minutes in a back to back to start the season. And Rip was out there at the end of a blowout when he hurt his ankle. Coach has to learn. But so far, it does not look like he is learning much. Still playing guys too many minutes. Knock it off, nothing good will come from overplaying your players.

Now, with the above said, we got 10 guys involved in this game tonight, with Wilcox being low of that group with 9 minutes played. Of course Tay and Rip will be coming back. A twelve man rotation? Its possible. Ain't seen any Piston coach try it. But we could end up seeing great rest patterns soon, with lots of players involved. Though with a rookie coach, no way I expect him to actually do much of anything right. But who knows. I hope he will actually continue to play guys like Jerebko and Daye when Rip and Tay return. Of course, who knows who else will end up injured with this rookie coach not watching the rest for players.

This was the 3rd game in 4 nights. You play a back to back, its not the next day it hits your legs. Its the day after (or today in this case) that it hits you. Who knows, maybe that 40 point first quarter was just part of a scheduling loss.

Gordon started out missing 9 of 10. He scored some in the 2nd half, but his bad shooting certainly did not help us early. Stuckey had a decent game, but he was part of that opening quarter where the coach could not get his players to get out to challenge shots on the perimeter. Orlando started out quick 5-5 on threes. We did win the next three quarters, but as Gordon was kind of saying after the game, the beginning of the game was the time to start challenging shots.

Maxiell was the only guy well plus for the game. I know some don't want to hear it, but this guy plays solid, solid D. Not everyone has to score. Him and CV ended up being quite a pair to help us make a game out of it. We did get it to just 6 down for a moment there. CV was going nuts on offense, and JMAX was helping to make the buckets actually mean something at the other end. And CV does seem to try on D too when everyone around him is swarming.

Our usual 3 guard lineup was in during the comeback attempt. Bynum did little in this on on offense. He did hit a triple.

Kwame, as usual, added little O. Played some decent enough minutes of defense on Howard.

While Wilcox is on the team, and did play, please do not think he was part of the problem tonight. Orlando jumped to a 15-2 lead before we made any substitutions. I still think its kind of odd that after him paired with JMAX showed lots of good chemistry in the preseason, we have not seen this yet in the regular season.
  7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Ok, alright... steady progress from the youngsters.
    Not a big fan of Jerebko (how many points from anything besides dunks?)... but he's growin' on me...
    Feelin' pretty good about being wrong on Daye... I'm feelin' a Tay trade now

So far so good

One or two of the kids will be waiving towels within two weeks... who's it gonna be?
    Would luv to be wrong about that too.
  8. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Ok, now we can see what CV is all about. His defense and rebounding have been suspect but not many players can put on that kind of scoring spree. He is only 25. Before all is said and done, Joe may well have had a very good last summer.

Daye is already showing more than any rookie big I have seen in a Piston uniform lately.

I can well see a trade of either Rip or Tay or both.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

How many straight possessions did CV score? I think it was 8 or 9 counting the times he went to the line. They were mostly tough shots from the post. That was awesome.

Jerebko definitely looks like an athlete. Very quick and aggressive.

I agree that this was a decent loss. We made a game out of it after Orlando made their first 5 threes to jump out to that big early lead.
  10. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

Things I noticed in the game:

• Wilcox is absolutely garbage. Total garbage. I hope he rides the pine forever.
    • The team doesn't seem to give up.
    • Jerabko may not be great, but he hustles and his D was above average tonight.
    • Rodney Stuckey's jumpshot looks better this year.
    • Charlie V can flat out score when he heats up.
    With that said I honestly believe Tay should be traded now. I know Jerabko or Daye are not all stars or anything, but I believe Daye can give us what Tay does right now. In the past couple of years Tay hasn't been a great defender, he just gets by on his repuatation of a "lockdown" defender when really he's average. Daye actually seems more aggresive than Tay, which is sad. I'm sick of seeing the pumpfake bull Prince pulls. The combo of Daye and Jerabko can hold down the SF position for the time being. I have to believe that JoeD is seeing the play of these two rookies and actively shopping Tay for a big. We need a quality bigman really really bad right now. The question is if he can actually get one.
  11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

What's crazy about CV's little scoring run, was that if they had fed him the ball like that earlier, he could have probably started it in the 3rd. He never saw the ball in any sort of low or mid post fed position until the end of the game.

Anyway, he drives me crazy with his absolute cluelessness on defense and how he watches the ball instead of putting his body on a man to rebound, but wow can he score when he gets going.

Jerebko and Daye have no problem hard fouling either. I freakin love it. So sick of guys like Max and Tay arm fouling people. JJ and Daye aren't big but they lay some wood on the would be scorer.

This team has a completely new chemistry and attitude. Rip and Tay out is a blessing in disguise.
  12. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

So many honest comments here tonight about our team, I am gushing all over the place.

I haven't ordered league pass yet, just waiting to see this team gel a little more.

Daye and Jerebko should be our SG's from this point on case closed. Since I have reached the conclusion that we have to develop, develop and develop some more these young guys.

It's like Roscoe said earlier, it's a blessing that Rip and Tay have not played over the last few games, now we can actually see how Day and JJ can round out our rotation and actually see what they can offer.

I submit to you Pistons fans, I love our guards attacking the basket, however, the one on one play resulting in very low assists, in-turn our bigs are not getting the ball in their sweet spots hardly ever, is a cause for concern.

On the other hand, our bigs haven't done that much to begin with, hence a trade should be in the making.

Can you imagine the type of damage we could do if we had a decent center, WHO PLAYS IN THE POST, back to the basket type of guy along with CV and penetrating guards and a PG dedicated to finding this said guy?

I am going to go out on a limb and say that I would love to see Daye starting in the SF spot with JJ playing backup SF and PF in some matchups.

I also would like to hear from someone in the organization the reason for Summers not playing.
  13. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

All I'm saying you're committing one very typical fan mistake: you're overhyping rookies after a game or two.

wait til scouts notice them in their reports then we'll see if they can handle situation or not...

P.S this trade Tay talk is little premature therefore, IMO.
  14. Kidstealth

Sorry...about that. Got a little carried away with my humor. Won't happen again.
  15. Kidstealth

Again, my bad. Got a tad carried away.
  16. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

I understood your humor perfectly that's why I suggested "dreams " thread...
  17. discotom

discotom First Round Draft Pick

Can't believe how well we are doing with two starters out. Someone mentioned it is a blessing in disguise, I'll elaborate on that thought. This is giving Joe the opportunity to see how his team looks with his two biggest trade pieces. This is the EXACT situation that he needed. Sure, we are 1-2 against two playoff teams, but each game was winnable, and we won 6 of 8 quarters in our loses (close to that, at least).

Jerebko may just be an energy player, but every team needs one. Maxiell used to be ours, and while he still has some value (in a trade), Jerebko brings more to the table.

I think that Rip is the piece to keep. The competition between him and BG is great, and if CV finds his shot, we are really tough to defend....
  18. Kidstealth

I know you got it, just you were right. This is a family forum, a tad inappropriate.

But um...I do love me some Jerebko :sssh:
  19. Kidstealth

Frankly I think this just highlights how expendable Tay is. If Charlie V can learn how to defend.......
  20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

It looks like CV finally figured out the Piston offense which is shoot the ball as soon as you catch it.

Rodney Stuckey played 36 minutes and took 17 shots.

Ben Gordon played 41 minutes and took 16 shots.

I think Gordon probably has to work harder to get shots within his own offense than he does to score against the D.

The Pistons looked like they were trying to move the ball on offense more in the 2nd and 3rd instead of dribbling and the lack of scoring from their bigs was noticeable.

I am still a fan of their offense that has a guard trying to drive and if he gets walled off backing up and trying again. They never get discouraged!

Collectively Orlando's hoop IQ leaves them at mildly retarded. Jameer Nelson, wow!