At Orlando December 8th, 7:00 PM

Discussion in 'December 2006' started by TheeTFD, Dec 8, 2006.

?

Call your shot

Poll closed Dec 9, 2006.
  1. 2 point game either way

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Pistons walk over these pups

9 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. Magic too young and too Darkod-up [they shock the world]

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. Blame it on the Back to Back and travel

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. linwood

linwood All-Star

Thats significant. When your "star" is put into foul trouble by a seldom used bench player, you have a problem.

2. max

max All-Star

Guess the legend continues. People are going to see what they want to see. Did Darko "trigger" things or were the other Magic players driving and slashing for easy baskets?

What I saw was a Magic team driven by Howard, Hill, Nelson and their bench.

Our team just does not get inside much so I would not take that as exclusivly Orlando's defense.

3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

We close to the situation think the Brahma is already a star, just seldom used.

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I've been following the Darko saga for longer than anyone. Up front, I want him to fail and I want the Magic to fail so we get a better pick. The only way Darko will escape my criticism is if he leaves the Magic as a free agent. I can live with that.

Anyways, since he's the ultimate message board topics, let's cover Darko first and the Pistons second.

Darko was everything he was built up to be. He was an incredible +/- impact when he was on the court. The Magic play differently when he was in. Defensively, they perform at a high level. Darko also rebounded well.

Offensively, Darko is what Darko is. He's a 4th or 5th piece, he's very mobile but not very intelligent about where to space himself.

I am not sad about losing this player at all. For every plus there is an equal minus. His only asset is his youth. Once he grows up, he'll have to make big strides if he wants to live up to the hype. Right now, he's a young, very mobile Shawn Bradley.

Magic/Darko fans here have revised their opinion of him so many times, it's not funny. 2 years ago, he was a devastating offensive weapon. Now he is a devastating defensive weapon. All I see is a really tall athlete with not a lot of court sense.

Pistons played well. I was kinda sad that Sheed couldn't score in bunches once he got ticked off, we might have to invoke the Howard rules and beat that kid up in the paint if he thinks he's gunna be a Shaq style bully. Make him earn it at the line like Shaq.

Billups played his second strong game. A few slips into bad decision, I wanna be a shooting guard Chauncey, but mostly under control and very aggressive in the paint. I don't know what he finished with, but at 9one point he had 5 boards which is really good for him.

Tay was really disappointing jacking up so many long jumpers. He's not an off the dribble shooter. Catch and shoot, he can be devastating. I think his game with the ball is vastly overrated outside the post.

Flip Murray continues to find a groove. He's still very slow and non-chalant, definitely not a hustle or energy type player, but when he gets going, he can score.

Jason Maxiell came in and got two fouls on Darko that chased him to the bench. It was very important because the Pistons were struggling to score with Darko in the game. Other than that, and a dunk, Max didn't contribute much. He needs a lot more playing time to get comfortable out there on defense.

That's all I can remember until I watch it again. Good game. We made them play at a pace that favours us on the road.

Now let's rested up!

5. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

And Sheed didn't have foul trouble? Darko drew a foul on him, Dwight drew 3-4 fouls on him, isn't Sheed supposed to be our star? Why can't he keep himself out of foul trouble. It didn't seem too hard to draw fouls on Sheed. He's our highest paid player but he couldn't seem to keep himself on the court, maybe he should learn to stop fouling, especially when a bench player (Darko) who rarely gets touches can draw fouls on him. Or when a 3rd year player like Dwight can pretty much kill Sheed inside and all Sheed can do is foul him.

6. Jackattaq

I think there are a few DHOF members who would dispute your claim, myself included.

7. Jackattaq

We did get inside against Dampier and Dallas, we didn't even seem to try against Orlando. They had this big tall lanky kid clogging up the paint, we didn't challenge him too often and when we did, we shot fadeaways and got blocked a couple times by him.

8. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Uh Ta - checked your watch lately? It's nearly been a workday since the game finished. When do you guys sleep?

Fun game to watch. I can't believe no one is talking about Rip. Yeah, CB shot them into the game in the fourth, but Rip got the two key ones, and TEN boards including two on the offensive end - 14 points, 3 assists, 2 steals, and a block, all in a nice compact 33 minutes. The guards and Prince all rebound better out of this matchup zone they're playing.

I did expect more from Darko. BBJay is right about his defense. His length and strength make him very tough. He took Dice right out of his game. Otherwise, I didn't see the little things he would need to do to earn him more minutes.

9. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

If I just arrived from another planet and started reading this Darko stuff, I would think he was the second coming of Bill Russell or Wilt Chamberlain or something.

Dayamm.

If Darko isn`t an all star in a couple of years, (hell the way some talk about him he should be an all star now) the Darko supporters will have some explaining to do. Or should I say some excuses to give!

10. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

have you ever seen jmax play??? he gives anybody fits in the post and yes he can get people into foul trouble. flip should have been using him like this all year. did you see the preseason??? anyway darko wasn't checking jmax on his fouls he was playing help defense. he isn't the star of orlando either.

i didn't see you posting like this when the young big men of the league were taking turns owning ben wallace.

11. Jackattaq

So, just for kicks I had to go back and see these two fouls that Maxiel "drew on Darko". On the first foul, Jason Maxiel was being guarded by Pat Garrity (a scrub) and Maxiel beat Garrity to get in the paint. Darko reached and got a ticky tack foul (a dumb foul IMO), but it was GARRITY who got beat.

On the 2nd foul, Jason Maxiel was running in transition and got the ball in transition on a semi-fastbreak. Darko has just shot a jumphook on the other end and was running back defensively. Darko had been guarding Dice NOT Maxiel. (which is why I find it ironic that Darko was supposedly getting abused/fouls drawn on him by Maxiel). Flip Murray drew Garrity over and then lobbed to Maxiel. Darko, who was still running back in transition, caught up and fouled Maxiel over BOTH ARMS preventing an AND 1. Maxiel made both at the line.

That first foul was dumb on Darko's part (never reach and barely make contact). The 2nd foul was a good hard foul, (always make them shoot free throws instead of giving up open dunks). I wish the Piston's bigs would foul HARD more often. You can't give up layups and last night the Pistons didn't get too many layups.

I just didn't see where JMax "abused" Darko last night. Darko committed only those 2 fouls and he wasn't even guarding Maxiel. He was guarding Dice and Sheed the majority of the time. Dice was 0-3, Sheed was 5-12, not exactly "killer stats".

12. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

agree. that's why people say he should start over battie. i personally think b.hill likes him in the bench role so darko won't start at all this season.

i disagree with this. i don't have any problem with darko's spacing. he runs the pick and roll, pick and pop and never gets the rock. he posts up and never gets the rock. where do you think he should place himself to be more effective?? he has really good spacing in my opinion that's how he is able to pass so well. i think this is more coaching because he plays with a pg and a sg that don't pass much and do iso stuff so basically there is no place for darko to be just get out of the way.

darko's role on this team is to be the 4th option and he plays that role well. he showed in the worlds that he can be the #1 option on a team also. remember he is 21.

i'm sure sheed would like to have that mobile shawn bradley helping him in the paint. yes. dale davis and nazr are better options for us.

his only asset isn't his youth. dude has major skills that can't be denied even by the biggest critics. he can shoot, pass, defend and handle the ball very well for a 7' player.

he's still a devastating offensive weapon that just isn't his role on the team. he's getting maybe 6 attempts a game and a lot of those are rebounds. he isn't being called upon to do it but he definitely can. all of our starters except nazr could score 20+ a night if called upon to do so.

this proves what people have been saying all along about playing the bench. you can't play them every 7 games and expect them to be consistent. jmax when he first played as a piston could come in and put up 10 points in 6 minutes and have the other team in foul trouble. the last game i went to he missed 3 bunnies. in the preseason he would have dunked at least 2 of them or attempted to. not playing is having an effect on his game. i know in 2 years i'll be defending him like i did darko about how good he was when he first got to the league and he's just rusty now.

13. linwood

linwood All-Star

I only posted one line about foul trouble, geesh. But yes, I do think it's a problem. The few times I have seen Darko play he seems to make some bad decisions. He reaches and bites on fakes. (when I saw him play)

As for Ben Wallace, I'll take the bait. Wallace has never fouled at the rate Darko does. Ever.

14. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Jay if you think Darko played a good game than he isn't that good. He couldn't stop Sheed, he couldn't intimidate CB, and Rip. If Tay wasn't passive today Darko would of looked real bad. Darko is good, but Jay you like Darko so much you think his bad games are good.

15. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Great defense by Sheed. That was a sweet block he had late in the 4th. One problem is that Sheed does a lot of good defensive plays and gets called for a foul.

16. linwood

linwood All-Star

I think you may have just changed the subject from Darko's fouls to the bench theory... However, I'm glad to hear that you will be defending Jmax like Darko. I really like Maxiel and I look forward to reading your posts.

17. himat

himat Bench Warmer

The bench really helped yesterday. Hopefully Flip can see that this time.:bigeyes:

18. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Thanks, Jackattaq, I was wondering there for a couple of minutes. I was watching the game closely and taking notes for my "recap" and for a little while I thought I must have had my head up my @$$. I did not see JMax outplay Darko and chase him off the floor.

Whew!! They had me there for an instant :sssh: .

19. roscoe36

As the darko fans embellish a little, so too do the Pistons fans. :)

20. roscoe36

And this is why I like you so much. Your message extends beyond one player.