1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

At Orlando December 8th, 7:00 PM

Discussion in 'December 2006' started by TheeTFD, Dec 8, 2006.

?

Call your shot

Poll closed Dec 9, 2006.
  1. 2 point game either way

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Pistons walk over these pups

9 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. Magic too young and too Darkod-up [they shock the world]

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. Blame it on the Back to Back and travel

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

The Pistons were ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIC TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

3. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

darko had one turnover. 3 second call the guard should have shot the ball. the pass was just a thread the needle type of pass. they were costly though.

darko did what he did best and that's play defense. the only player to score on him was sheed. he checked tay, sheed, jmax, dice, dale davis. 1 field goal on him. darko basically shut down whoever he checked he just couldn't stop chauncey and rip. weak way to blame the loss on darko but cb and rip and flip had great games.

4. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Watching Darko in extended minutes for Orlando for the first time tonight (I hadn't seen much of the Magic this year), I really am impressed with how Darko-colored the world looks through bball jay's eyes. He played 24 minutes, 4 pts, 5 boards. Not much passion, which is awfully weak when you're playing the team that (in Darko's view) failed to give him a fair shake for three years.

It should be mentioned that JMax actually played 17 minutes tonight; didn't do too much, from what I saw (just the 2nd half). Nazr only played 13 minutes.

5. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Excellent point D4E. If he couldn't get up for this game, he never will.

6. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

this is one part of a double recap. the combined recap can be found here: http://www.pistonsforum.com/december-2006/5437-orlando-december-8th-7-00-pm-9.html#post62794 - Slippy

Is this where I am supposed to do my thoughts on the game? Well, I apologize for the delay. My long-winded sister-in-law in SC called just before the game was over and just got off the phone. I have dial-up with one phone line.

Anyway, going in, I figured there was not much advantage or disadvantage because coming home from a long road trip, your own floor is much like another away game. And all the news about CB not playing and Battie not playing and DMC starting, all came to naught. Just so much trash talk.

Anyway, right from the beginning, CB really kept the game in check, set the pace, and for most of the game, I did not know whether the defense on both teams was really good or whether the offense was very bad. I opted for the good defense.

The Pistons started out making 3s and the Magic could not make two footers. And where was Dwight for most of the first quarter. Piston D on him was really good, and stayed that way all night. He didn't score until 5 minutes left in the quarter and his first board came at 4 minutes.

Here comes Darko and the second unit, and in a minute, DMC had a bucket, a steal and a board. Good start and with the second unit in, (for most of the run) the Magic went from 9 down to 6 ahead. A 19-4 run with mostly the second unit in, with a starter or two.

Arriza is a good addition to the second unit, Darko played Dyce well, forcing a travel. Then he picked up a mystery foul; during all the replays no one could see a foul. But one was called on DMC.

Darako went out with the Magic +8 and in a couple of minutes, it was +2. And the Pistons were still keeping Dwight out of his game.

Both CB and Murray abused Jameer and I expect that to continue. He is just not a starting guard in this league. He is flat not big enough. But then when CB got another 3 and it looked like the Pistons were getting something started, Jameer answered with a 3, tying it up again. Sheed had a nice block and the Magic lead at half 44-40.

In the second half, they both still were showing good D, and neither could get much going. Jameer got the ball to Ariza on the break one time and I would have sworn it was Rip to Tay. Jameer is trying to force things too much rather than being a point guard and getting the ball to his teammates.

The Pistons also made a game out of abusing the Magic's lack of a perimeter defense. Sheed, CB, Flip all had uncontested perimeter shots all night and the Magic knew going in that the Pistons are a jump-shooting team. No reason why the Magic did not concentrate on that.

Carlos does the same thing. When DMC came in and got that lob, so pretty and so uncontested, I just cannot imagine why the Magic does not do more of it. With Dwight in the game or not, Darko is so open after the pick and rolls that if they would only call his number, the lobs are there for the taking. Do it until somebody stops it.

Carlos dribbled into trouble and tried a leaping, twisting shot that had no chance of going in while DMC was right there for the lob. When this happens so much, I just wonder what is going on.

Going into the 4th, it is just too much CB because he is so darned good and the Magic just have no answer for him.

Then, late, Rip is just indespensible. And to boot, in the last two Magic possessions, Darko screwed up. 3 second call and missed a pass. I guess he was just too surprised to catch it.

Bad floor spacing all night for Orlando didn't help and there was just no answer for Chauncey. And I wish the refs would not make any foul calls on Sheed during the entire game. It just pisses him off and he takes it out on the Magic. Just let him do whatever he wants and keep him happy.

Well, that's about it.

7. roscoe36

Thanks lazy!

8. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

That was a great game summary, berbs. Much appreciated, since I didn't see any of the first half.

9. roscoe36

Postgame interviews with the coaches (see attached).

Attached Files:

10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Maybe the intimidator got intimidated

11. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

darko isn't an outwardly emotional player. he's the 4th or 5th option on offense so he makes his impact defensively. he plays defense with passion. he was very effective except for 2 plays in the whole game. you mentioned his stats but you forgot his 2 blocks. since you were watching the game you should have seen his alterations first hand yourself. then again you are making conclusions from only watching half a game.

12. max

max All-Star

Jay - I thought for sure you would say Darko had a bad game. Looking at the box it does pretty much match his stat line. I was not impressed. His defense was not that good and he was not helping the team out very much.

From what I saw in that game, unless Darko takes a pay cut I doubt the Magic will re-sign him.

13. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

You know when you can expect that to happen...

:flypig:

14. max

max All-Star

Watching some of the rebroadcast and trying to pay more attention to Darko. He actually did a pretty good job guarding Dyess in the 2nd. I guess with all the props since the trade I was expecting more.

15. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

You are seriously INSANE if you think that Orlando doesn't want to resign Darko. Why wouldn't they? The only guy to score on him was Sheed on his first shot taken on Darko, after that Sheed went at least 0-3 on his next shots defended by Darko. Jmax drew two fouls on Darko, but for the most part, THE PISTONS WEREN"T SCORING IN THE PAINT, all of their damage came from the perimeter.

The Magic didn't give Detroit layups, the Pistons relied on jumpers to win (which has been proven not to work in the playoffs when your legs are dead) while the Magic got points in the paint AND GOT TO THE FT LINE (where they did a very poor job of converting, missing 12 FTs).

The key to the game was DETROIT EXECUTED down the stretch and made HUGE PLAYS. Billups was on fire in the 3rd quarter and hit big shots in the fourth before Rip sealed the deal with a couple clutch jumpers.

Orlando isn't going anywhere, Dwight Howard and Darko Milicic aren't going to shrink and get smaller, they will learn from games like this and they will be back, bigger and better. They will grow from losses like this. They had a chance to take this thing and they gave it away with inexperience and mistakes.

Orlando's defense was tough, we didn't get inside on them and they didn't foul us too much. 19 fouls to our 24 fouls. They are a solid team and one that I don't think the Pistons would want to face in the playoffs.

I don't see how anyone can say this Orlando team isn't for real, what's not real about them? They played Defense. They didn't give up many layups or FTs. They get to the FT line, they have a stud bigman in D. Howard. They have pretty good depth.

Darko didn't play a great game, but he wasn't bad either. He did a very good job defensively (as evidenced by very few layups allowed and HIS MAN not getting good shots). He just doesn't get touches in their offense. Arroyo ain't giving the ball up, so DMC just doesn't get his number called, but if he starts to get touches and develops his offensive game, the Magic will be a very dangerous team. He did make a couple nice passes to Dwight Howard out of the high post and found Dooling for an open look off of a postup and things like that go un-noticed by the casual fan.

I don't have the +/- numbers for the game, but I would like to see them.

It seemed when Darko was in, the Pistons just weren't getting in the paint. He did make a difference defensively.

16. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

I have seen Orlando play a bit in other games. As the season progresses, teams will stop their offense. They remind me of Denver about two years ago. I feared this game only because the REAL GAME was last night against Dallas.

Orlando has no go to guy. Howard has some moves but he is not at the level of carrying his team in a series. He gets many calls from the refs as does D. Wade. Who else is suppose to score in the 4th quarter on their team?

Anyway, the Pistons are our team and they just pulled off a back to back that stamps them as a real contender. Joe needs to get a back up by hook or by crook. We need to see a bit more what kind of front line we have. But the Pistons are there...

17. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

If you're the Magic's GM, do you throw big $s at Darko or Chauncey?

18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

If you did not see the first half, you did not see Darko trigger a big run by Orlando-with his D. Take a good look at Dyess stat line tonight. And Tay's. Darko played a lot of darn good D. His coach simply does not run a whole lot of plays for Darko to score. If Hill wanted Darko to score, he would run plays for Darko to get free on the perimeter, where he is a very good shot. For now, Darko is slowly gaining experience, slowly healing from two years of sitting. A lot of damage was done to Darko while in Detroit. Ok, I am rambling a bit so good night.

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

PopcornMachine's GameFlow - Detroit @ Orlando

I can't believe these guys get the gameflow done that quickly.

Amazing game by Billups. It reminds me of the games last year that made him an MVP candidate. And we finally get to see a little bit of why they say Flip Murray is a streaky scorer. Sheed was also being very tough. That is actually the most trouble that I have seen Dwight Howard have this year. It didn't really stop him, but it made him work for it a lot more than usual.

So, did Sheed intentially bank the first 3 tonight to show that the bank 3 last game was not an accident? And WTF was he thinking with that horrible 3 point chuck with 1:30 left in the game? The one that he shot 3 feet outside the arc while he was fading away with Darko in his face, than hit backboard first...

All in all, two great wins on the road on back to back nights. They deserve some love.

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

By the way, how unlikely to work was that no look lightning pass to Darko in traffic at crunch time by Nelson? Did he really think that Darko was going to anticipate that, catch it, and convert it?