at Oklahoma City Thunder Friday December 18 8:00 pm

Discussion in 'December 2009' started by roscoe36, Nov 3, 2009.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The problems with his game are all mental imo. Someone mentioned he has small hands and that is why he doesn't dunk, but I don't think Stuckey is lacking for size, strength, or even skill.

But putting it all together seems to be the problem. Same problem some of us think Amir had.

There was one point where we were down in the 4th, and he drives right into 2 or 3 guys, while Daye is wide open spotted up, and I think to myself,

"Either he can't see him, which means his court vision is atrocious, or he refuses to see him, in which case, he's not playing smart."

Either way, it's not good.

The whole point of scoring a lot, and eventually drawing double teams, is not to drive into them head down, but to find the open man. And it's not like Daye is a bad shooter. This is a kid with a really nice stroke, with lots of range.

Maybe Joe should be administering the Wonderlic test to these guys instead of seeing if they can jump out of the gym during workouts.
  2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I have read a lot of good writeups on the game between the couple of boards I read. Thanks to those who took the time to write their observations.

I will add a few things that I did not see written yet. Daye fouled out, but he played half his minutes at small forward. He could have been played at shooting guard several more minutes, and Summers could have gotten more burn at small forward. In other words, we could have gone a lot less in this game with two point guards in the game at the same time, something we did for all but 12 minutes in the game. Stuckey palyed a lot of minutes, on this, a third game in 4 nights. Nothing left at all in the 4th quarter even though he did score 31 in the game. (24 points scored by early 3rd quarter for him.) Bynum played a lot of minutes on that gimpy ankle of his, and Atkins played way too many minutes considering how bad a defender he is.

Though Wilcox scored 4 of 4 tries, with 3 of those coming from nice feeds from Bynum, in all, the team failed miserably at getting the ball to Wilcox in the post. Several times our guards tried to force passes to him that were just not there, while at other times the passes just stank.
    Adding to the list of things JJ does well, going up in a crowd and making the basket.

Even though Summers could have played more, at Atkins' expense, in all the coach did manage to get enough developmental minutes to the young guys. And except for Stuckey playing too much, the minutes were ok for the players.

Kudos to some of the Thunder bench players for very good play.
    Yes, CV ain't playing D, and it is hurting us pretty bad sometimes, particularly these last two games. But I blame the coach for not sitting CV when he does particularly poorly on D. I believe these last two games were winnable if only the coach would have pulled him when he saw the other team was eating him alive around the basket.

Yes we could have gone bigger, but no small ball was played.
    I enjoy watching Wilcox play a lot more than watching Kwame play. I do not miss at all the dropped passes, nor the constant being out of position on defense, that we get from Kwame.

Despite the two losses, we competed in both games, something tough to do on the road, and on a 2nd game of a back to back - or worse yet the 3rd game played in 4 nights. Good coaching to at least get that.

Another bad road trip. Time to get back on a winning track, but again, going home does not mean any automatic wins. It was Cleveland last time greeting us on arriving home, and it will be the Lake show this time. Oh well though, the schedule will balance out.
  3. roscoe36

What did you guys think about Stuckey getting sat by Q?
  4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You mean a whole game or do you mean coming off the bench? He shook up the lineup by stating Max and Atkins a couple of weeks back, Maybe he should start Atkins and Rip or Atkins and Gordon, then put in Stuckey and Bynum in the second unit..zzzzzzzzz ok its late, time to go to sleep ..

Oh by the way despite our three game slide, we are still the seventh seed...:sssh:
  5. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Only 5 of 15 Eastern Conference teams playing above .500 ball. That's just sick.
    Pistons current record works out to a 34 win season. Hopefully, Old Ben returns, but my fear is that he's given his best effort for the season and now it's all down hill. I just don't see the Pistons playing any better once the old guard (Rip and Prince) returns because...its the old guard. Maybe Gordon can help as that needed extra scoring option.
  6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I was irked about this game until I heard and saw Kue's post game:

PISTONS: Woe for the Road

And my favorite:

I like Kue, he gets it. What he needs is to be able to send players to the pine for not getting it done, problem is when you look at the bench and see that Chucky Atkins is you're only other option....well......

It was nice to see a few moments of Good Chris Wilcox. Good Chris Wilcox brings something to the table that this team needs in the worse way, a 6'10" monster who can catch and finish above the rim with the best of them. Good Chris Wilcox showed why he's worth every bit of $3M/yr, problem is he simultaneously showed why he's ONLY worth $3M/yr, because Bad Chris Wilcox made some appearances on the defensive end........

This dude I swear, if he could ever just put it all together he'd easily command anywhere from $5-$8M/yr. That said, he's no worse than Kwame defensively and at least Wilcox can catch and finish, BUT, Weezy don't bring the effort and heart everynight, and for all the things you can fault Kwame for, TRYING, is not one of them....this is the true definition of dammed if you do, dammed if you don't.
  7. roscoe36

You, Q sat him for part of the 3rd. The OK announcers even commented on how someone on the Pistons sideline didn't like what Stuckey was doing because he was not in the game and he should have been.

KG's post maybe clarifies some of that.
  8. max

max All-Star

I agree, especially with the 2nd paragraph. At times during these losses I say to myself - our front court really looks bad this year. Ben has been great but he is not going to do it all the time every game like he used to. When Charlie V is not scoring he is not much help. Besides that everyone else are just not very consistent.

I hope things will pickup when the other guys get back - it has to right?

For now, I am beside myself in disappointment at dropping all 3 of these west coast games. I would have been happy with even 1 win.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah, he seems a lot more strategic and insightful than our last two coaches. He has some LB in him, but with seemingly zero drama.

I reall haven't seen anything that I don't like about his coaching style so far.
  10. max

max All-Star

No Summers = No win.
  11. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I wouldn't. Durant is a fine, fine scorer... he may lead the league in scoring some day. But he does literally nothing else on the court, while LeBron is a great facilitator and a good defender. Durant has yet to have a season where he averaged more assists than turnovers and he's a pretty poor rebounder for someone of his height and length (just 5.5 per game for his career). LeBron is pretty much a perennial 28/8/8 kind of player.

You do make a good point about LeBron always dominating the ball, but that might be a coaching thing and not necessarily a LeBron thing. Mike Brown is a pretty mediocre coach (making it even more embarrassing that Flip got totally schooled by the guy).

As much as I dislike him, LeBron is the best player in the game.
  12. roscoe36

I would rather have KD going forward.

I think Lebron is great because he dominates the ball. KD doesn't dominate the ball, and he's really good. He could be scary good if he dominated the ball like Lebron does.

Smart players are smart players. Stats don't tell the whole story.
  13. Bender

Bender First Round Draft Pick

Actually got to see this one! Great in the first quarter, but just declined as the game progressed. Several times they would bring the ball up and pass it in the backcourt, then stuckey would end up having to shoot it. Kinda stale. What's up cv, plan on playing some d? Again rip suited up, but didn't play. Could have used him! Alot of no calls for the pistons. Just hope q can put it all together when everyone returns, or generally feel like playing.
  14. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

If he dominated the ball more, he could score even more, but he's still a below average playmaker. And he doesn't see the floor like LeBron. LeBron sees the floor better than most point guards.

Until I see Durant make significant strides in the other areas of his game, I'd take LeBron. I could see Durant having a longer career, however, since he is not overly reliant on his athleticism like LeBron is.
  15. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Pretty much all been said, but was happy to see Bynum show some good signs and give a hint that he will get back to where he was last season. Just needs to get fully healthy now.
  16. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Stats? what? I heard that!!! Finally coming over to my world!! hahahahhaaha