At NY Knicks December 27th, 7:30PM

Discussion in 'December 2006' started by Dlev59, Dec 25, 2006.

1. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Naw, I'm telling you when you're a baller there are some nights where you just say "You can't stop me" and it becomes a scoring contest. In the beginning nobody could stop Eddy "Shaun Rogers JR" Curry in the paint, nor could anyone (Chuancy, Rip, Tay, Blalock) stop Starbury, and in the end Crawford was on some 'oh my gosh, I can't believe he hit that' type stuff. Tonight it wasn't bad defense, just really good offense.

2. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

That was pretty much it.

It's just gotten to the point where i feel like if we don't have 6+ point lead in a game we're not going to win. I don't have confidence in their ability to get stops down the stretch anymore and i don't think they do either.

3. max

max All-Star

Thanks Lee, don't know about Positive. Still a little ticked off how the whole thing ended. So they don't call the foul for Rip, then don't call it on the other end either.

Such a shame for the most exciting game of the season in the entire league to end like that.

Well, guess if Mr Big Shot had hit at least one of his many 3's it would not have come down to triple OT. I am not going to rake the guy over the coals over 2 bad games though.

So we can miss one starter ( Sheed fouled out ) and have another, Billups, turn in that kind of a game and still score 145 points in 3 -OT's. Its nice having a bench.

4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

In summation, the real issues were that Flip wasted to much time with Sheed in there who played as if the game was won before they tipped off. Maybe taking a chance on playing Max in the 3rd & 4th qtrs would have stopped some of that dribble penetration by Marbury.

The other thing was that we could never extend the lead beyond 5 points. Getting it up to a three possession game in either of the first two OT's would have probably won this one, but a bad shot or missed putback on our end and the two silly fouls by CB allowed them to stay around and prevail.

Otherwise good game for a team that played the night before and travelled 900 miles. Let's give some credit to Zekes knicks too who have gone 4-1 since their brawl winning all of their home games.

5. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

I still don't get it. This game was suppose to end just like hundreds of other wins. Make foul shots, then defend desperation shots, rebounding the eventual miss which eliminates all doubt of the outcome.

The Stones win in their sleep like that. What made Chauncy commit the second foul.

Anyone notice how Blaha and Kelser acted as if nothing happened.

6. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

ever drink milk from a milk carton wearing your underwear on your head...butt-naked?:bow1:

7. linwood

linwood All-Star

Allright, I can accept that. In fact, that s@!% happens to me all the time.

(guys lighting it up against me, that is)

8. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i DID enjoy the game (probably mostly because i was in the chat which was fun), but these three complaints absolutely sum up the most frustrating points. i know marbury's a great player, that's fine. but he doesn't get 41 on everybody! and what about curry?? is someone willing to tell me that he's as good as shaq ten years ago -- cause that's what he looked like. we were absolutely retarted on paint defense tonight -- a disappointment after our improvement in that area over the past few weeks. it took about a year for us to start doubling in the post (a simple, no brain adjustment that the knicks were totally unable to deal with. i'd have to see the game again, but i think just about everyone of our runs was triggered by a knick turnover after a pistons double team in the post.

which brings me to "at-sea note", whose worthlessness on defense is becoming more and more apparent. he creates so many problems for the bigs by his inability to stay in front of his man and his weird floating rotations to nowhere land. when he doesn't execute on good judgment plays and on top of that makes poor decisions with the game on the line, it's hard to see mr b.s.'s upside (but no, i haven't forgotten all he's done over the past few years). a personal gripe here: that %%%%-eating grin after the foul on marbury's triple try (from about 50 feet!!) drove me up the wall. i get that he was probably embarrassed (assuming he's capable of that feeling), but it seems too much of a piece with the smooth persona that never admits anything is wrong with his game. how do you get better with that attitude?

finally, somebody tell me how 6-11 guys can miss dunks. i mean, really, convince me that it's acceptable. i'm not talking about missed taps from four feet away with eddy curry hanging on your shoulder. those i get. but missed dunks, missed layups....oy!! how much energy does it take to get your body -- what? -- ten inches off the ground and drop a ball into the basket?? IT'S THEIR JOB!!! making excuses for that is just lame. like me not turning in grades at the end of the semester. i mean i'm worn out at that time of year too. but it's my job and it doesn't take a whole lot of energy or skill to type in the letters and click "submit" on the computerized grade sheet.

okay now that i've ruined the excellent succinctness of lpgrl's complaints by venting, let me add that the game itself had plenty of enjoyable things: for me the ones that stand out most were 1) delfino's hustling d in the 2nd quarter which then turned into smokin' shootin' late in the game (more than his tying triple, i liked his shot in the first ot where he faked the three, shortened the shot with a couple of dribbles, and buried a 20 footer); 2) dice's numerous offensive board put backs, lots of energy from him, like he'd finally found something to do out there on the floor, and of course 3) rip's rolling energy and efficiency throughout. nazr would get more love from me in this game (he did some things very well and i just like the guy) if he hadn't made curry look like -- well -- wilt chamberlain, or amir johnson.

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

What an entertaining game. I'm not really upset about the ending. If the ref doesn't see the contact, I would rather they don't call it. The foul was quick and on the wrist where it did a lot of harm, but with all the crowd noise, they have to go by visual only. The worst case scenario is when they assume contact and decide the game on a phantom call.

Besides, we won on a no-call last night. And Delfino hit the game tying 3 to get us to that point for crying out loud. For some reason, when he was inbounding the ball, I thought that they were running the play for him. I was very surprised at how pure it was though.

There were many plays that we can blame... Sheed's missed dunk, CB's missed free throw, etc. But the main factor was the enormous number of tough shots that the Knicks made. They must have felt that way about Rip as well. Crawford was pretty dangerous, eh?

Nazr- he's a slow jumper, but has quick hands. They only seem to be made of stone when guards rifle passes to him. On rebounds, they are pretty sticky.

Delfino- sort of a breakthrough game for him in the eyes of Flip Saunders you would think. He played solid, made hustle plays, hit the game tying shot, and performed well in the 4th quarter and 3 OT's. He just seemed trustworthy out there.

Rip- 38 shots?!?! (plus another 8 or so where he was fouled). That means that he put it up there 45+ times! They are going to need to ice his arm like a pitcher's.

And Dice- Just when I thought he couldn't do anything worse, he goes and does something like this... and totally redeems himself. He seems to be playing his best ball in the last 2 minutes of games this year. It must be an intensity thing for him.

Late.

10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Well David Stern :icon_evil: has done everything he could to make True Piston Basketball a distant memory. Folks with the new rule changes there are going to be nights like this. Congratulations Mr.Stern, we concede to you, you have taken away our brand of UGLY grind out tough basketball. :yellowprison: You have what you want know......ARE FRIKKIN U HAPPY NOW!!!!!!:gun1:

11. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Got the MSG crew on League Pass and they can run rings around the Pistonites in spite of Clyde who talks like he's swallowed a thesaurous. they are very truthful, call it both ways(I actually thought McDyess committed that delayofgame penalty against Knicks..they called it right saying it WAS Francis) and fuss at their OWN team. Blaha is not as amusing anymore in this world of League Pass. He's probably headed to Heinsohn-territory.

12. detteam

detteam All-Star

What's the deal with CB? Dumb shots (3's) and dumb fouls. It looked like he threw the game. 2 for 14 shooting 3's in the back-to-back...4 for 23 overall.

Even though he takes WAY too many 3's, I can excuse it as a shooting slump. But he made two really stupid fouls down the stretch. It doesn't look like his head's in the game lately.

13. linwood

linwood All-Star

WHAT?!! Blasphemy! :gun1::gun1::gun1:

14. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Do you think his impending free agency is having an impact?

I've never really bought into the "contract year" talk, but who knows.

15. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Yeah, our crew dropped a notch in my book for swallowing their whistles, err microphones on those fouls.

16. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

I didn't see the whole game but a loss was predictable beforehand with big games coming up. With New Jersey and Ny, we have been going through the motions defensively as players both nights were getting easily into the paint. It is the regular season and can't make too much of it. A good yardstick is if the opposition scores more than 90 points, then we are usually not as intense.

Good to see Dice and Nazi and Delfino do well. Where is Maxiell?

Billips is on one of his Mr. Point Guard modes. He needs to get into an offensive rythym early both for himself and the team.

Big games coming up with Indiana and Phoenix.

Hope to see our defense return.

17. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Actually, it's BLAHAsphemy! :MusicBigGrin:

18. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Nice no call by the refs late. :rolleyes1: That's no excuse though. The Pistons could of easily put that game away, but didn't. Chauncey is doing bad right now, he'll bounce back and have a good game on Friday against the Pacers. Rip was amazing today. Unfortunate loss, should of been a win. I was pissed at the no call, that may have changed the outcome but the Pistons still choked away leads late.

19. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

6th game in a row or so that i couldn't watch. bummer. but hey, everyone said at the beginning of the year that if we sacrificed wins to develop our players, they'd be fine with that. well look at what happened:

- dice getting his groove back, posting a double-double.
    - nazr getting his 2nd double-double of the season, got experience in crunch time, and did well.
    - delfino got crunch time minutes, made big time plays, and gained confidence.
    - blalock got some more development time.
    - flip murray is being pushed out of minutes and that's a good thing. he's shooting under 40% this year, under 70% from the line, and his season-high is only 15 points. delfino's shooting % is just as poor, but he's a much better defender, might as well give him the minutes.

and look on the bright side, if chauncey has more games like this, it won't cost so much to keep him next year :D

20. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

was going to stay up for this one. kind of sorry and glad i didn't at the same time.

hmm, pistons used to be the masters of winning in OT, remember that streak a couple of seasons back?

trivia: (not that i know the answer)
    but what is the pistons record in more than 1 OT games?