1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

At NewYork Jan 13 7PM

Discussion in 'January 2008' started by max, Jan 13, 2008.

1. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I'll agree with that. I always thought that this team got by not b/c they were so talented, but b/c they maximized their talent in an intelligent and effective way. Rip after being at the "state fair" continued where he left off. It's telling that the bench even shooting that low of % get to the FT line and score enough PIP to outscore the Knicks.

But the need for a 4th big is pretty glaring too (if only as a band aid to our problems). Sheed is not Ben, and he doesn't want to be. We need a banger in the post. Or we need to play Amir and go a little more up tempo.

Something has to be done at the trading deadline.

And on a side note, Stuckey looks worse every game.

2. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

that was a scary game. Scary, because it reminded me of Detroit's poor play in the ECF against the Cavs last year. If the jumpshots don't fall, this team and its coach have absolutely no clue what to do.
    Flip has a real problem if the starters can't get it done. Stuckey is still not ready to provide the spark off the bench many expected.
    I'd love to see Flip try some adjustments, like benching Tay, who really has been in a slump for weeks. Just sending out messages. Try some stuff.
    This team has been great this far, now is the ideal time to get prepared for the playoffs. I really don't want no other great season to see it ending the same way as last year. This team basically is good enough for a championship. The roster is awesome and JoeD has alot of trade material if JoeD thinks we need a slasher or a big. If the roster remains as it is, fine, the coach has tons of options. Herrmann has shown he can guard Nowitzki.
    Afflalo and Stuckey can penetrate. JMax is getting doubled. Brezec can be solid. AJ is still a question mark but he surely doesn't hurt tha team.

With all these players, it should be possible to vary the rotations given the opponent. Get rid of the "starters get it done, bench tries not to give up too much of the lead"- attitude and this won't happen again.

3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

This one was lost at exactly 4 minutes into the 2nd quarter, when Flip Saunders started subbing his starters back in. The starters who desperately needed some rest. On a 4th game in 5 nights, Flip Saunders still can't understand that he needs to go deep into the bench for the 2nd quarter. Pretty pathetic coaching.

Amir Johnson was our hero tonight, making a conventional 3 point play to give us our 65 point total, keeping us out of the record books for fewest points scored in franchise history.

Between Rip and Tay, they made one shot tonight. Pretty much 100% long range shots. I think Flip must have told them anything within 18 feet of the basket was called the forbidden zone. And they listened, avoiding the paint area like the plague.

Dyess got some rebounds, and made some shots. But his outside shooting really does not help us any. Somebody who could run down and impede Curry from getting right to the lane would have been more helpful.

Billups hit a few outside shots. But it looks like the team thinks that makes it ok for them to just shoot outside shots. Billups has to set the tone, and drive inside more to start games. Its ok to take the outside shot on occasion, but you can really go overboard on it.

None of our bench did any good. Bad shooting from everyone, including Hayes. The closest thing Flip did to an "adjustment" was to bring in Fabio about mid 3rd quarter, after we were way, way behind. We played a unit featuring Hayes at shooting guard for the first time this season. Thats Billups, Hayes, Fabio, Maxiell, Dyess. How slow a unit can one concoct? It would be hard for any coach to put a worse unit on the floor. I am sure Flip will keep trying though.

So we played a game with a bench, due to little playing time of late, was not much good, and a group of starters that were too tired to play. It did not have to be this way. We have a very deep team, with never any excuse to overplay anyone. Someone needs to either tell this to Saunders, or fire the guy.

4. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I agree his performance has fallen off since his hand was re-injured.

Stuckey is playing hurt. I don't know how bad his ankle is bothering him but his hand is probably a lot worse than the press has let out.

:hoops:

5. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Then he needs to sit. I know we want to get him acclimated, but those injuries are clearly bothering him. Let him rest and recuperate, and not risk further injury.

6. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

It started when he got some real full-contact practice time with the team. It's like Flip was keeping it simple at first, running pick and rolls, etc, and Stuckey was clicking right away. Then Stuckey got in a practice, and Flip started implementing his playbook. Now all he does is dribble the ball up the court and pass around the perimeter looking for an iso, or some idiotic high-post flex offense garbage. He only gets to his strength (breaking down the D off the dribble) in late clock situations.

I could write a book on what I don't like about Flip Saunders as a coach.

7. buddahfan

Why don't you.

I am sure you would sell a few. I am sure Glen Taylor would be first in line for a copy.

8. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

You're right. Distinct rumors of a trade going down.

9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Trade one of the so called best starting five in basketball for somebody who is not afraid to drive, penetrate, slash or get in the paint when necessary..maybe Zeke will give us Jamal before he is fired. Does Letrell Sprewell need any more money to feed them kids? We could hire him as a coach to show how its done:stirthepot:

10. buddahfan

I don't believe that it is a matter of fear, but a matter of lack of ability. No one wants to keep trying to do something in front of thousands of people that they can't do very well and wind up looking terrible in the process.

11. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I saw him get the ball, start to shoot up court, then it looked like something clicked. He pulled a Chauncey, put his hand up to slow it down, and got or tried to get into some odd set. He definitely isn't being used to his strengths. That could be said about a majority of the players on this team.

12. LA Dre

Every team needs somebody who can do it well with that ability. Our new guys try with limited success, but they are still learning. Get a vet who has the ability...I hate to lose Tay or Rip, but we can get more for them than Old Spidice

13. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

Come May a lousy loss in January will long be forgotten. I always just wonder how an elite team like the Pistons can keep their motivation up to beat the bottom feeder teams. Tonight a D-League team would have given Detroit a run for their money.

Flip is in a rut and he's just got to rearrange his team just a bit to get the best out of his players. Why is Sheed unhappy now? We live and die by Rasheed and his many moods so it pays to keep him happy if he's the horse we're riding. If Walter Herrmann is getting on his nerves than time to find a new home for Fabio, lots of teams would like him so package him with Flip Jr. and get a decent bench player.

It's certainly not a time to panic, other than Boston there's not a team out there that's clicking the way the Pistons are. Is it time to put Rip on the second unit and let Stuckey start? Would Rip throw a hissy fit and start sulking or would he see it as an opportunity to be the number one option anchoring the second unit.

The only player I'm worried about is Tay, he just has been so consistent and steady and now he's playing in a slump which is very unusual for him. He's got that consecutive streak going and maybe he's hurt and not letting on just to keep his streak going.

14. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

And he called Jarvis one of our primary scorers :stirthepot:

15. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Now you want to blow things up? They didn't look too bad 3 nights ago in one of their two best wins of the season, as we discussed at length in more than one thread. As disgraceful as tonight was, I don't see why it points to the need to trade someone. What trade will help you when 7 of your 9 primary rotation players are flat-out mailing it in for the night? Packaging Brezec, Herrmann, and Flip Jr. for the ghosts of Earl Monroe and Dave Bing?

16. buddahfan

What he said is totally BS. In fact knee high boots could protect you.

17. LA Dre

In the words of Jack Nicholson, "Somethings Got To Give" I'm in favor of adding something here, because if the half of the players continue to mail it in, and the 7 thru 9 players are playing inconistent then the 1-6 guys will be burned out by April...:(

18. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    How about adding a real coach who coaches to players' strengths?

19. LA Dre

Do we fire Flip and promote from within, or get a Laimbeer, Fratello, Collins, Van Gundy, Skiles or bring back Brown or old man Daly? I know we are over reacting here, but I am giving you the authority to set up a poll.:)

20. max

max All-Star

At least the bench played, we all got to see the bench guys.

2 back-back sets in 5 days from Detroit to Texas and then Charlotte to NewYork. Do you all think fatigue could have something to do with it? Maybe if the team was younger or did not have to travel so far off an OT game. I don't know.

Lets see how they respond on the 2 game homestand before blowing any alarms.

The Bench played and they sucked as well so I don't know.