At NewYork April 9 7:30PM

Discussion in 'April 2007' started by max, Apr 9, 2007.

1. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I posted something similar to this on the Spurs/Pistons board. Basically what is our offense? Do we even have an offense? They were playing inside out for awhile which was successful, but they've abandoned that. Our offense doesn't go through C-Webb at all. We just don't seem to know what we want to do. Sheed's posting up while Rip's taking his man of the dribble. They're practically running into eachother. Too much one-on-one. The offense is either completely unstructered or way too complex.

I agree w/ you. People complain about Lb's offense being too simplistic, but at least it stuck to what each player does well. I cringe when i see Rip trying to take his man off the dribble, and i don't remember the last time i've seen him come off a curl and catch and shoot.

Just move the ball and stick to what your good at it.

We looked amazing against PHO when we were forced to stick to some sort of offensive game-plan. Flip has got them thinking they're so talented, they can just free-lance.

Maybe things will tighten up in the play-offs . . .
  2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Our offense is guard driven. That's why they say we have the best backcourt in NBA. When CB and Rip got it going on everthing else falls into place.
  3. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Lpgrl,

I totally second what you wrote. Absolutely. You have summed it up so well. I too cringe when Rip goes one on one, etc. and ask why do we have to resort to that? Rip is not Kobe nor is he Wade.

It is amazing that we are as good as we are playing almost with a handicap. With Larry, there was a system, like it or not.

I still think we can take it all but the offense is a cause for pause...
  4. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

TheTDF,

Yes, we are guard-driven and the problem is that the elite teams have shown that they can jam up Billips and Rip. They couldn't do this if we had all five guys involved, if we had motion and if we played the mid-range game.

They will go out on Billips and put there best one on one guy on Rip. They pack in the lane waiting for either to drive into the teeth of the defense and we obliged them. Or we shoot over a hand in the face anyway and the result is low percentage.

Going so far in the playoffs every year allows everyone to scout you. We just have to play smarter and counter.
  5. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I suspect this could be a lot of the reason Webber isn't racking up quite as many assists. Teams figure stuff out and the Pistons need to adjust. That will be Flip's test heading into the playoffs - can he get Webber more productive. And we probably won't see those adjustments before the playoffs.

But Lee has good points too, that the pneumonia - yes, that's actually what he had - took something out of Webber and that all in all he has played pretty well the past couple of games.

Still, a lot of those cuts off the Webber high post won't be available come playoff time and the team will need some new wrinkles. And Webber will never be able to guard big mobile centers.

I've noticed several games lately that arenas are turning down the lights during play. I wonder if it is because of HD TVs. I've noticed that in HD with all the lights up, it is really tough to watch a game - there is just too much detail in the crowd and it distracts from watching the players.
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Lots of detail also means more bandwidth. I am sure that there are sound technological reasons for turning down the detail.
  7. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Who posterized Curry the best? Delfino or Tay?
    My money would be on Delfino's dunk. Three steps, throws it down, and 1, and then the look at Curry.
  8. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Both were great...but the Delfino dunk was the best. Hanging on the rim at the end gave him 150 style points.
  9. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

but it was interesting because i saw highlights, and the NY broadcast of the game was bright...it wasn't the arena like the Staples center does. hrmm. oh well no biggie heh.
  10. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Probably could have been a tech, but the one handed spin was definitely stylish.
  11. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

About the scoring droughts...

Saw only bits of the game, but witnessed the third quarter drought. Part of the problem during that stretch was offensive rebounding. Sheed, Weber, and Tay got us no second shots.

Fourth quarter when we had Davis and Dyess in the game we were getting more multiple opportunities.

When Sheed and CW are in a "I'm not fighting for offensive rebounds" mode, we're more prone to scoring droughts. Flip has got to see this and insert some energy into the lineup.
  12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

That's when CB starts to slice and dice their D like no other guard in the league. #1 in T/Os not.