At NewJersey Dec 26 7:30PM

Discussion in 'December 2007' started by max, Dec 24, 2007.

1. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

LOL...Since Stuckey will only play 12 minutes a game,(1 quarter) , how bout "25 CENT" !!!!:pound:

2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Our starters played well enough in the first half. Not great, but well enough. Our bench stunk. Led by Hunter, they could not score. However, the bench at least stayed on the floor long enough to give the starters rest for the 2nd half. Good news, it won't be long before Hunter is not playing. Stuckey will get all the backup point guard minutes.

We were up by about 16 when Stuckey came in for the 4th quarter. (about a minute or two into the quarter.) The lead got up to 20 later. Stuckey made a nice assist or two, got inside some, made a free throw, and ever a jumper or two. Seven points. Even when Stuckey gets to the basket and misses, you say to yourself, wow, that was something.

Afflalo was in the rotation in the first half, but out in the 2nd half. In the 2nd half, Prince played shooting guard to back up Rip, playing along side Stuckey. Perhaps Flip felt Stuckey needed Prince's steadying influence.
    JMAX had a decent 2nd half after an unproductive first half. (But JMAX played the whole 2nd quarter, giving Dyess and Sheed plenty of rest.

The 3rd quarter saw the Pistons dominate NJ. Rip was on fire, as he was in the first half too. Dyess had a good shooting night, but not enough times going inside. Solid rebounding from him as usual.

Billups won his personal duel with Kidd as usual. Not much to beat. Lots of assists by Kidd but he never made a basket.

Prince did a little of everything, not a lot of scoring.

Sheed was hitting his jumpers.

Hayes is still in a bad slump. The shots were once getting close, now they ain't.

JMAX is just getting steadier and steadier on his outside jumpers.

Amir did get to play, but only after the game was 100% wrapped up. Maybe 90 seconds worth. As further insult, Brezec came off the bench first.

Ok, what did we get from this game we can use in the playoffs? It was just ho-hum same ole same ole for the starters. Afflalo got a bit more time in the rotation when it counts. JMAX too. Stuckey played a whole quarter, mostly against their starters, where we had a lead but the game still in doubt. Three of our young players got time needed to improve their game. One did not. But this one is one of our best players, one we dearly need playing regularly when the playoffs get here. Should the coach be fired for not playing Amir. In my opinion, yes. Sure, there is still time for Flip to start playing Amir, but then again, I quit believing in fairy tales at age 5.

One thing we failed to do, find a different way to go at backup small forward. Hustle is fine, but Hayes has not been around long enough to deserve an unending amount of time to work out his shot problems. Besides, maybe if someone else got a shot a the time Hayes would try just a little harder.

3. max

max All-Star

I am not going to worry about Amir anymore. Things will work themselfs out.

At least Stucky and Afflalo are playing. Stucky looked great but shows his natural tendancies as a SG.

Great run in the 3rd quarter where the Pistons shot around 80%. Found ways to find the open man and Rip was fantastic.

6 straight wins. 21-7 record. Have to stop and appreciate that. 2nd best in the league.

4. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GO shwaty...its yo birthday!

5. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

He did have 3 assists to 1 turnover. He can average that per 10 minutes like he was in tonight for, he will become an all star. Plus 2 steals.

:hoops:

6. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

HQ, check out the pics I posted in the Stuckey thread.

I think Brezec came in before Amir because Brezec was replacing Sheed, but Amir couldn't come in at the same time because JMax was on the line. After the next dead ball, about 20 seconds later when Stuckey got fouled, Amir came in for JMax.

7. buddahfan

Actually Hot Rod's game kind of reminds me of Zeke's when Zeke first came up, though Hot Rod is a lot bigger and probably will be a better rebounder than Zeke due to greater height and strength.

8. buddahfan

That seems to be the current scheme of things. AJ is 3rd on the #4 depth chart.

9. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

that is max's fault, if he had made his 2nd free throw he would have been in at the same time as brezec... i think max missed it on purpose :stirthepot:

10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Amir was actually starting to get up at the 3 minute mark. Someone told him to sit back down. Brezec was clearly put into the game first. Only after we made another basket yet, and the game was truly out of reach, was Amir allowed to play.

11. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Fabio's looking good right about now. He better get a chance. I feel like we're headed for Maurice Evans part 2.

12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

First off, everybody calm down, AA is not in the doghouse. Hayes does not have a longer leash than AA. AA did not get in during his normal 2nd half stint because of Stuckey. Flip has stated that he wants Stuckey put into situations where he can succeed. I was impressed by the coaching decision tonight to get Stuckey ready. They left Sheed and Tay in longer than normal because Rod was running the point and they want him getting comfortable with those guys. Stuck is trying to find a rhythm and he can't do that as easily with AA, AJ and Primo as he can with the core rotation players.

Now, I'll say this......Hayes is just begging for someone to take his spot, before he was just shooting bad, tonight he PLAYED bad. His defense is getting better, but......stay tuned. Herrmann and AA should get a legit shot at his minutes if things don't improve.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Chauncey with the double double! Showing up Kidd and holding JK to 2 points on 0-8 shooting. Man is Chauncey good. Makes it look effortless.

Rip was a robot. Some nights he just demoralizes the other team.

Sheed scoring from the post.

Dyess on fire.

And Stuckey showing that he can break it down at will. Very Wade-like indeed. This guy will take us to a new level.

14. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

He is a PG as much as Dwyane Wade or Brandon Roy are (Not saying he's on that level). He can set people up, but he's looking to score. I think he'll be fine handling the PG duties off the bench as long as he gets a few minutes next to Chauncey as well. Though, in the future, I think he'll be starting next to a Point Guard.

15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Stuckey does the same thing our other backup PG's do, Lindsey and Flip, except he actually does it well. Neither other option is a real PG. Remember D.Williams was a SG at Illinois.........stay tuned, the boy will get better, in 2 years CB might be the best and highest paid backup PG in the entire NBA :).

16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Oh yeah, one more thing about the game. Maxiel. Why doesn't this team see him as a legit go-to post player. The minute they saw Malik Allen trying to check him, they should have called his number, Boone can't check him, Collins couldn't etc etc. Two days ago he was taking it to Mutombo (a 7'er) the other time we played Hou he took it to Yao Ming on a sweet post move. Why oh why does our team think that his post production is a fluke??? I dunno maybe its me, maybe I'm reading too much into things. I just hate that this team wont call his number with confidence, the boy is murder on the block.

17. buddahfan

Sorry but I totally disagree with your last statement. He was drafted to be our point guard of the future. Chris Paul had 9 assists last night to go along with his 40 points. Is anyone going to say that he is not a point guard? Just because a guard can score doesn't mean that he can't be the point guard. C-Bill could score 25 plus a game on the average if he wanted to.

In my opinion Hot Rod will be our future starting point guard.

18. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Affalo is a rookie, relax. Affalo is in a learning mode. Flip gave him enough time. The second unit could not score. Pistons have to find out about Jarvis Hayes. That is why they have continued to play him.

19. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

we all knew that Stuckey was drafted as SG. That's the position he's had played in College. The Wade or AI comparison is what describes him best. I'd wonder if any coach would try to turn him into a real PG (like Chris Paul)- Stuckey was drafted as a tweener.

20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Just to review, JMAX had Hunter as the point guard for about 6 of his first 8 minutes on the floor. The right things don't get done with Hunter running the point.

Oh, and JMAX absolutely should start, and his post up game be featured to start games. When JMAX sits, Amir should be out there posting away. We basically have no excuse at all not to posting up all game long.

Dyess has to post up more when he plays. The more fouls he draws, the easier it will be for Amir and JMAX to score in the post. I would say the same for Sheed, but actually he does post up quite a bit. The problem there is he has to go more toward up and under moves and such to draw fouls rather than just shooting over people. But he is so good at shooting those short jumpers over people, how can you tell him to quit. It will take work.

Along with that, Rip has to take it inside as much as possible, ditto for Billups. People may not like the results sometimes, but those results often include drawing fouls. Basically, the whole team needs to have the same theme. Go inside, get them into foul trouble. Afflalo and Stuckey will help a lot in this too.