at New York Knicks Wednesday March 3 7:30 pm

Discussion in 'March 2010' started by roscoe36, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

I see everybody hoping for a tank job, and measuring what we need for this or that draft choice. This kinda is unsettling for me as it reminds me of what Lions fans do each year. I'd rather be Chicago right now as they seem to have a core of young players who are in need of a good coach. Yea...the same team that shipped off Ben Gordon...:gun1:
  2. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

for those good young players they tanked several seasons.
  3. Blue

Blue First Round Draft Pick

Indeed. The best season that they've had in over a decade was a 2nd round play-off exit, courtesy of the Pistons.
  4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think the Knicks could challenge the Bulls 72 win season if they played all their games against the Pistons. 4 guys with 20 plus points and all 5 starters in double figures, was this the 86 Celtics they were playing? This can’t be the same team I see losing by 30 in the scrolls.

Al Harrington is another (1 of about 100 it seems lately) that could do a better job than Ben Gordon at a fraction of the price. Walt Frazier compared Gordon leaving the Bulls to Ben leaving the Pistons and never being the same before remarking, "You can't even tell he's on the floor."

CG has taken a lot of (deserved) heat lately, but more and more it looks like Gordon could be the kiss of death for our Pistons. As Bill Simmons pointed out via Twitter during the Celtics game,
    "[​IMG] @sportsguy33 Have the Pistons supplanted the Lions as the most depressing team in Detroit? I can't believe that team was intentionally assembled."

That being said, CG logged 15 minutes last night serving as the Knicks pinata. There are always a couple of moments per game where I can't believe what I am seeing.

It is being reported that Ben is out through the weekend so hopefully we can kick the tank into 5th gear while he is out.

David Lee only went for 21 and 18 or so.

I thought it was courageous how Stuckey threw the team on his back in Ben’s absence.
  5. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Thank you sir for stating that.

Last night, neither could I.
    Question, who would you give away (in a package) to get rid of Bengo and/or CV?
    Even if we see the return of the 20ppg-sharpshooting Ben Gordon, does anyone believe that a starting backcourt of Rodney Stuckey and Ben Gordon can win a championship or be a contender in an era of LeBron, Melo, Wade and Durant........
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Any and everyone, I guess.

When the Pistons play these equally dismal teams, there isn't one that I wouldn't trade rosters with. They have been worse for longer, but I get the feeling the Pistons are just starting up that hill.
  7. Brap

Brap Starter

When you're rebuilding it's ALL about assembling young core pieces and assets. It's early in the process, but I think the Pistons are in fine shape (for being early in the process; i.e. 2 to 4 years away from being a dark horse contender).

Definite Core young pieces:

Stuckey (and you guys are nuts if you don't think he's a fine core piece)

JJ (might be the best player on our team right now - he just gets better and better. I think his upside is Rodman + very sold offense. That's an all-star player, IMO).

Gordon (notwithstanding his stink year this season)

This year's #1 pick (anywhere from core piece to major star)

Probable Core young pieces:

Daye (and this guy could be a big star in a couple seasons)

Bynum (if the #1 pick is a guard, he's done here, so he'd be an asset instead)

2011 #1 pick (likely a high pick, since we're so weak in the middle right now)

Possible Core young pieces:

Summers (I really like him, but wonder if he'll find a role since PT might get squeezed, especially if we add a big man in the draft. Summers might move over to asset status if that's the case, but it's hard to get value for a second round pick who can't bust into our rotation).

Maxiell (coming on well now)

CV (I know he's better than what he's shown, but right now I wish we never signed him -- he's in Summers way right now)

Assets by 2011 Trade Deadline, at latest:

Tay. (Expiring contract. I think Hollinger is nuts for not thinking a healthy Tay on an expiring contract wouldn't be a great trade target for a contender).
    Willcox (Expiring contract - if he resigns with us -- his option to do so).

Assets by 2012 or 2013:

Rip (Expiring Contract)

Maxiell Expiring contract

2012 #1 draft pick (should/could still be a high lotto pick -- young teams like ours have a long climb mentally and experience wise to make it back into the playoffs, even teams with talent).

Gordon and CV will also be close to being expiring contracts by this point. Today's crappy contracts (if they are crappy) are tomorrows GREAT contracts.

Also:

We're due two or three (lost track of them) #2 picks in the next few seasons. We've gotten great value out of our #2's, so perhaps they're assets as well. Certainly they are helpful as trade fillers.
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Fantastic post Brap. Great stuff.
  9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

yeah he talked me off the proverbial ledge
  10. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Ever go to an 8th grade band recital and listen to how bad most kids are playing. But you sit there smiling and saying to yourself 'how great YOUR kid sounds'. And I'm sitting behind you thinking'are you kidding?'
    Thats how other teams and cities see our Pistons. I promise you we have 9 players that are no way championship-caliber. And if you think THIS season is bad, you aint seen nothing yet.
    But...these things happen...
  11. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

That game was depressing. Not just because we got smoked, but because we got smoked by the Knicks for the 2nd time that I've watched. I've seen a lot of Knicks games this year and they are terrible. They may have the worst interior defense I've ever seen, but one thing they do well is shoot. I was at the Milwaukee game last Monday, and the Bucks played the Knicks perfectly. They defended the Knicks strength and exploited their weakness: Covered all open shooters, and fed the ball to Bogut every chance they got. Bogut, who looked like he was playing against my kids, had 5 monster blocks. Brandon Jennings and Delfino were 4 for 22, yet the Bucks still one by 16. Both played great D with Delfino shutting down Danillo. Danillo was 2 for 8, 0 for 3 on threes. He shot 50% against us.

Contrast that to what I saw last night. NY would pass, pass, pass, shoot open jumper, swish. Where's the D? And the Knicks non existent interior D? I guess we forgot about it. Stuckey had a couple of nice drives for easy layups early on, but after that it was contested jumpshot after contested jumpshot. If you watched the Bucks game, you saw Milwaukee with basically one play, dribble up the court, pass it to Bogut, watch him score, play D.
    The Knicks are so one dimensional and predictable any idiot could game plan against them, yet we couldn't. JMax should have had thirty points just throwing down monster dunks. Look at our shot chart: Detroit Pistons vs. New York Knicks - Shot Chart - March 03, 2010 - ESPN
    Against the Bucks:
    Milwaukee Bucks vs. New York Knicks - Shot Chart - February 22, 2010 - ESPN

Bright side, JJ looked good, Stuckey and Bynum had their moments. Even Prince played well. I'll also give Gordon a break because he's hurt. But right now, I'd take Kwame over CV, what a waste. And I'd trade the rest of the team, not counting the rooks, for a bag of chips.
  12. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Okay, I went to the game last night... pretty tired after the drive there, the drive back, going to class in the morning and then work after that. I managed to put up enough energy to write up this recap:

My Recap:

Left @ about 1:30, arrived in the city at around 5:00. We drove through the Bronx and stopped at Yankee Stadium... took some pictures of the new Yankee stadium and old one. Pretty amazing that such a palace of sports entertainment can be located in the middle of the pits.

Got to the arena at around 6:30. Got up to my nosebleed seats and watched a couple of the guys on the Pistons (Hamilton, Villanueva, Gordon) and Knicks (David Lee, some other unnamed guy - Wilson Chandler?) shoot. Stuckey seemed pretty loose during the warmups... laughing, pretending to box a few of the camera people on the floor. Rodney looked good on his jumpers and three pointers in warm ups... Big Ben was draining his free throws. lol

The Game

The Pistons fell behind by a lot early... bricking jumpers left and right. Stuckey got the Pistons back in the game with some strong drives to the rim, a nice baseline jumper and some free throws. Stuckey hit Prince with a couple nice feeds for alley-oops as well. Prince had an okay game. Besides Stuckey, Jerebko was the only other Piston to play really well. McGrady looked like vintage T-Mac... driving to the hole, drawing fouls and knocking down tough contested jumpers. But then again... there ain't much "D" in this Pistons team, especially last night.

The game was lost midway through the 3rd quarter, when the refs decided to take the Pistons completely out of the game by calling 3 fouls on Stuckey within the span of about 3 minutes. Two of those fouls were just bogus. Stuckey had to come out at around the 5:00 minute mark of the third, and when he came back in with about 6:00 minutes left in the 4th, a 7 point deficit ballooned to 21 points. Overall, the team played lethargic and without any consistent energy. They scored more than enough points to win, but I've rarely seen a more pathetic effort on defense. Just constantly allowed guys to beat them off the dribble and get easy layups and dunks, and when they couldn't get those, they kicked the ball out to wide open three point shooters. Celtics castoff Bill Walker just killed the Pistons... a couple of his dunks really got the crowd up on it's feet.

The game was pretty competitive through three quarters, but the Pistons completely collapsed in the fourth quarter like they have so often this year. A lot of Piston fans in attendance, including two Piston fan girls that were sitting right in front of me. They were pretty wasted and loud by the fourth quarter. LOL
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Don't get into the trap of believing the guy who played the most is the best player.

We may very well find in the long run, when all get sufficient playing time, that Summers is the best, followed by Daye, then JJ.