at New York Knicks Sunday January 30 7:30 pm

Discussion in 'January 2011' started by roscoe36, Oct 19, 2010.

1. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Please save me the BG didn't play any Defense BS, go watch the game again, NY ran him through multiple ball screens everytime down court, NOBODY can stay with their man like that. The bad defense was a result of guys not helping the guy who was helping- period, there's no one person to blame. We were giving up about 31 pts per qtr prior to the 4th, in the 4th we gave up 33 (right on schedule) problem was that we couldn't keep pace with them offensively. T-Mac was awful, Tay was horrid (just abused by Gallo all night long), Daye was scared, CV was being CV and Monroe plays off of other players. NY is a team you beat by scoring (especially at home, which is tough to do) and getting a few stops down the stretch. This would have been a nice game to win but when Gallo has it going and is playing with confidence NY is tough to beat in the garden. Now Mozgov (or whatever his name is) is a different story, allowing him to get off really ticked me off, showed how bad we are defensively on the interior, GM hasn't quite figured out that side of the game yet, but he will, I see him being a Kurt Thomas like defender in the league.
  2. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I'll say it: Ben Gordon didn't play ANY form of defense, in any shape, size or capacity. And I'm being fair in that. Our guards were the biggest culprit, as they repeatedly allowed their man to penetrate the lane and break down our defense with ease.
  3. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Mosgov was a starter to begin the season, but didn't keep his job. Actually, he hadn't played in some time, but obviously if you have a slumping player who needs some positive burn, play em against the Pistons. Seriously...after the game he was quoted as saying,"I vant to play"
  4. copper

copper Bench Warmer

and Ill repeat it...again. Our guards play the matador defense every night. If we had a young ben wallace this wouldnt be as glaring of a problem...but we dont have a swatter on defense to prevent the easy layups or the drive and dish bunnies that every team seems to get when they play us.
  5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

That was an impressive performance by Stoudamire last night. He clearly wasn't 100%, but went out there to help his team. That is some leadership.

The Knicks must have had 10 follow up dunks where the dunker came straight down the middle of the lane to score.

Gordon is getting the time now to play out of his cold spells and looks more like the guy who played for the Bulls.

I have never watched a game that Stuckey missed and thought, 'Man they really miss Stuckey in this instance or game and could really use him'.

Earlier in the year people were comparing Stuckey and Tony Douglas. After watching last night it is no contest to me. It is T Doug by a mile.
  6. pgrnpacer

pgrnpacer First Round Draft Pick

- pgrnpacer
  7. Brap

Brap Starter

This Stuckey hatred is irrational. Obviously, we're a better team with him - a much better team. Bynum always gets lit up defensively. Stuckey can defend multiple positions and PG's. When he gets beat, it almost always involves pick plays where our team defense isn't up to par. There is no such thing as a guard in this league who can guard players who have gotten a pick without the pickers defender making the proper show/step out.

Monroe is showing signs of becoming a really good defender in that regard. Ben Wallace can still do that. But there is nobody else on the team that can.

Bynum gets beat one on one like he's a drum. Defenders don't need to pick him at all. He's that bad. Gordon isn't that much better, although once in a while it seems like he steps up on D. Rip stopped trying on D more than a season ago.
  8. Mr. Big Shot

Mr. Big Shot First Round Draft Pick

Yup. A lack of an inside presence killed us and allowed Mozgov to have a career night...on mostly dunks.

That isn't to excuse the guards though getting beat out on the perimeter though. You simply CANNOT let people get penetration at will like that.
  9. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

If we dumped Bynum & Rip, and start using Stuckey the way we've been using Bynum, we'd be in great shape. TMac/Gordon backcourt with Stuck off the bench.

If TMac agrees to sign here, we should ship Bynum before even considering signing Stuckey.

Worst case scenario: ownership still in limbo come FA season. Meaning, no trades, no extensions, no FAs. Next year's roster:

PG: Bynum, White
    SG: Rip, Gordon
    SF: Daye
    PF: CV, Maxiell
    C: Monroe, Wallace

Plus whatever rookies we end up drafting this summer.
  10. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

:pound:

Tony Douglass this year: 39% shooting, 12.5 PER, 8.8 pts on 8.3 shots per game.... a mile better than Stuckey. No, not just slightly better, a mile better.

Yes, Brap, the Stuckey hate is more than just irrational. This comment just takes the cake for me. Who else is better than Stuckey, in your eyes? Kevin Ollie, Johnny Flynn, Manny Harris for sure. Any others I'm leaving out?
  11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I like Kevin Ollie.
  12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Joe will do nothing and use the ownership scenario as an excuse. He'll re-up Stuckey, re-up T-Mac and JJ and we'll get a late lottery pick in the draft, a weak draft, which may be even weaker if Irving and Sullinger stay in school for 1 more year.

PG:T-Mac / Bynum
    SG: Stuckey / Gordo / Rip (will probably get bought out in the summer)
    SF: Daye/?
    PF: JJ / CV / Max
    C: Monroe / Wallace
  13. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I don't think he's still in the league, but I could be wrong.
  14. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I was specifically speaking of this game. I have not watched T-Doug play a lot. I did like the little things he showed as a guard, the change of pace dribbles, not always looking to bowl someone over etc, passing the ball.

These are the things to me that an NBA player does.

Drew Sharp: Ownership's indecision is killing Pistons | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
  15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

First Mr. D was being blamed for the Piston demise, now it's Ms D.

16. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

That's got to be the definition of overstatement. "Heal the wounds"? The author sounds like a 14 year old girl who just got dumped by her first boyfriend.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Also, healing of the figurative wounds in a basketball/ entertainment sense is sort of dwarfed by the gravity of actual death in the same sentence.
  18. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Johnny Flynn has some upside.
    ...Stuckey has plateaued.

:stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot:
    :pound::pound::pound:
    :stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot:
    :pound::pound::pound:
  19. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

20. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

No, he built them. Us spoiled fans were simply upset that he didn't spend a boatload of money to build a 3 championship dynasty, but this mess here? This woman is more clueless than Alicia Silverstone and Q put together.