at New York Knicks Monday January 18 1:00 pm

Discussion in 'January 2010' started by roscoe36, Nov 3, 2009.

1. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Stuckey single handily lost us this game.

I'm his biggest fan, but I'll call them like I see them.

That was awful.
  2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

You know, Stuckey was heavily plus when you don't count his time along side Atkins. Like plus 16 or so. Stuckey drew a lot fouls, and kept his cool as the quarterback on quite a few possessions. And he played ok D too, especially when we nearly shut them out in the 3rd quarter.
  3. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Meh. I saw Robinson score on Stuckey often and rather easily in the 4th quarter. Apparently Stuckey doesn't understand the concept of putting a hand up to bother a guy's shot.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I wouldn't really say that we held David Lee in check due to the fact that he had more rebounds and assists than anybody on our team, included Ben Wallace, who was having a ridiculously good game.

Too bad we didn't find a way to get him.

As far as this game:
    Ben Wallace 7 offensive boards/ NY Knicks 7 offensive boards. Ben is a one man wrecking crew. His offense was great and all, but what the hell were they doing isolating him in the post with 3:00 on the clock when we were within striking distance? On his successful post move earlier in the game, the entire Pistons bench was standing up and acting like a miracle happened... so that probably means that it's not a high percentage iso that you can just go back to in crunch time.

Also, Austin Daye with a very nice game, going 7-8 from inside the arc but having a bunch of good looking 3's fail to fall. If he converts on some of those, the end game would have been much different. It is so much more fun (for me at least) watching our big ball lineups over small ball. Stuck/Daye/Jerebko/Wallace/Wilcox??? That is a huge lineup. Massive. No wonder NY couldn't get any 2nd chance points.

But the downside is that when we load up on beef, our entire offense seems to either be Stuckey scoring, or the other guys converting his missses with put-backs. 10 assists for our team is pretty bad. JJ played 38 minutes and couldn't come up with an assist. And Ben Wallace, who has been a nice passer this year, also had a bagel.

And yeah, Chucky wasn't too impressive either. One good pass to Ben Wallace for a dunk at the start of his shift, then he was invisible.

But just look at the lineup that we are missing:
    Bynum
    Gordon
    Rip
    Prince
    Brown (not injured, just lost in the wilderness).

Some serious scoring power not being utilized. What is up with our guys coming back from injuries too soon anyway? The medical staff is having a tough year.
  5. Brap

Brap Starter

This has been one of the worst years for injuries to one team that I can recall (ever) in the NBA. Probably there have been teams just as injured, but I can't remember any -- it's like we're following the Lions or something.

Like a lot of you guys are saying: there are two possible big upsides to this. One, the young guys are getting a lot of prime time experience - they wouldn't have gotten otherwise. That's going to really help next season. Two, we are getting into a position where there might be a very good chance at getting a really great player in the draft.
  6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Indeed it was, the absolute worse sequence was when Daye posted and easily scored on Duhon, and Stuckey deliberately REFUSED to run that play again...WTF????

C'mon Top 4 draft pick.....Wall? Turner? Aminu? Wes Johnson? Get one of 'em in a Pistons jersey......Preferrably Wall or Turner, Turner will be the next Grant Hill, pre-injury of course.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That was really frustrating. That mismatch was there for a while and we only purposefully went to it once as far as I could tell. With that big of a height difference and a player as skilled as Daye, we should have isolated them every time down until they pulled Duhon.

Oh well.
  8. Brap

Brap Starter

Stuckey has either got to learn to trust his teammates, or he's going to become Jerry Stackhouse with better handle, and not the elite PG I thought he was on his way to becoming - Chauncey plus.
  9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Don't get me started I said I'd leave this issue alone for the month of January, but I'm watching, I'm quiet, I'm collecting data and I'm locked and loaded
  10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The LA Clippers had a similar year of injuries to their starters last season and won 19 games...
    Al Thornton missed 11 games due to injury
    Baron Davis missed 17 games
    Marcus Camby missed 20 games
    Chris Kaman missed 51 games
    Ricky Davis missed over 20 games
    and Zach Randolph missed 32 games with injuries, family issues and suspensions

Other than Kamam missing 4 games and Eric Gordon missing nine, their only major injury this season has been Blake Griffin's 40 missed games and they have won 18 games so far this year
  11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

One thing I forgot to mention. We played CV at small forward for much of of the 4th quarter. Its always good to see Q trying something different.
  12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

It was good to see the Pistons get off the schneid finally. Hopefully they can start building some momentum from this.

Stuckey played a large role in all the offensive rebounds the Pistons got and not just because he missed all his shots. He was moving the D with his drives.

David Lee can really rebound in traffic. That was impressive.

I enjoy watching the Knicks play the Pistons for some odd reason.

After a mostly quiet game CV took a shot to the mouth or nose. I was then beside myself with anticipation as both he and Stuckey spent the last few minutes of the game crisscrossing each other, but they made it out unscathed.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Worst foul call of the season so far.
  15. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

A couple observations:

Daye has serious potential, but, and I mean but, he has to bulk up. He may never be big, but he needs some serious improvement in his strength. This will help him to move quicker and more assertively, especially amongst contact. And help his 3s, cause it looked like he was missing a lot of the long balls from being tired.

Stuckey got embarrassed by Nate. What's going on with him? Singlehandedly lost the game for us.

Jerbko, I like, but is probably destined as a good role player off the bench.

Who resurrected Big Ben?

Coaching still looks under par, but much better than last year.
  16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I'm not sure if Stuckey got a hand up on a shooter the whole game.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I typically think that expecting a skinny guy like him to bulk up is unrealistic, but what about Joakim Noah? I don't have any evidence of this, but he looks stronger and heavier in a pretty short period of time.

Here's a college pic (the only one I could find without nudity):
    [​IMG]

And now:
    [​IMG]

Hard work pays off.