at New Orleans Hornets Wednesday December 8 8:00 pm

Discussion in 'December 2010' started by roscoe36, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

First of all, who lost this game, our bench, or our starters?

Hmm, the starters were minus 20 by mid-3rd quarter. Our bench stayed even until the 7 minute mark of the 4th quarter. You do the math. And oh, Stuckey was out there from that point, and we did not score from the 7 minute mark thru to the 2 minute mark about. About 5 minutes without a basket, not even a free throw made.

As many have noted, our starting unit makes no sense. Kuester can't see it, and should be fired for being blind to what is going on in front of him. Trevor Ariza meant Tay could not do any scoring. With little post presence, Stuckey had no options at all. None.

20 points down mid 3rd quarter. Timeout. And anyone who bet on Kuester marching the same 5 guys out there after the timeout won. Now, these days, look, if Kuester did make a change - we would hate it. Because he would choose to go small. Which is even more non-sensical than what he is using now.

Gordon had a good shooting game. CV hit no shots. Tay was stifled. Rip did not have his outside shot going, and can't drive against good D. JMAX is making some short outside shots, but hey, someone else is suppose to be taking those shots while JMAX stays around the basket for offensive rebounding.

One of the best plays, Stuckey busting inside, and missing a layup. And Monroe cleaning up the miss.

Stuckey has no sense of timing on his shots. Even with two offensive rebounders in with him, he can't communicate / coordinate with either one as to when he is going to hoist a shot. Hey Stuckey, if there are no offensive rebounders near the basket - do not shoot the ball. Obviouisly, having Monroe in with him at all times would increase the probability of having someone get the missed shot, but a lot of it is Stuckey.

Regardless of what else TMAC does during a game, he is very valuable as the backup point. In these two losses just now, we played fine whenever Stuckey was resting. But don't get ahead of yourself and think it would help to have TMAC start instead of Stuckey. Nothing can help our starting unit as comprised.

Conversely, while TMAC is invaluable as a backup point, otherwise he is pretty much useless with Stuckey along side with him. But Kuester seems to love that combo anyway, bless his little heart.

Recommendation: Never start Ben Wallace ever again. He was not brought here to start. He was brought here to shore up the defense off the bench. And if we used him for that, Ben Wallace would be a valuable player for us.

Quit playing CV. Our subs can play even, but never actually gain points, as long as CV is part of the equation since we give up points way too easily with him in there.

Start Ben Gordon. Start Monroe. Keep starting JMAX. Keep starting Stuckey. And start Daye, not Tay, at small forward.

Thats: Stuckey, Gordon, Daye, Monroe, JMAX

2nd unit: TMAC and Rip in the backcourt. Tay at small forward. Summers at power forward. Ben Wallace at center.

Rip guards the point guard for the 2nd unit, while TMAC plays the point on offense, with Prince helping to bring the ball up the floor. In this unit, Rip basically becomes a spot up 3 point shooter, something he is actually decent at. Summers was our second best 3 point shooter last year, so he too can help spread the floor while Tay and TMAC use their height advantage to try to go in and score at the basket. (Yeah, and we can post up Rip if they don't have tall enough guards.)
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Lee, how important do you think it is to keep Rip and Tay happy (and productive) as we look to deal them after the franchise sale?
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

That's 3/4ths of the starters that Billups ran with and he did pretty well with them. They may have even won a championship together. Maybe Sheed was more valuable than we thought and brought out the best of this motley crew.

Stuckey has been absolutely, positively brutal on this trip. It is not about numbers, but the horrible decisions he makes over and over and over.

We caught a glimpse of old Ben Gordon last night, but it was about a 5 on a scale to 1-10 on the killer Ben G scale.

When does CCG get back?

The Pistons are stuck and this is their team.

Stuckey did out-rebound CP3 5 to 2 in about 6 more minutes of PT.
  4. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

1. LB managed the team much better than Q does.
    2. Billups managed the flow of the game much better than Stuck does.
    3. Tay and Rip were both in the primes of their careers, now on the very steep decline.
    4. Rasheed Wallace WAS undervalued to THIS particular team.
    5. Best defense EVER in NBA history makes it easy to win scoring 80 PPG.
  5. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Stuckey is the most reliable and consistent player yet at the same time is thrown under bus here frequently.

But for me Stuckey is the smallest problem there.

Tay and stuckey at the moment are players worth of starting. That is all.
  6. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If Stuckey is your best player a team has a very, very big problem unless it plays in the 2nd league in Kazakhstan
  7. Susie914

Susie914 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I actually fell asleep during half time and I NEVER fall asleep during a Piston game. I must have roused up a little bit sometime in the second half and thought I heard Blaha saying it's a 20 point lead. Even in my half awake state, I knew it was us that was losing by 20.
    I don't feel hardly any of the excitement I always feel for Piston games these days, I've lost it somewhere along the way. And I keep hoping Sheed will take pity on us and come in and give us some of his "straight up" defense.
  8. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

About zero, or less. Wins is what will sell this team. Wins and fans back in the seats.

If Rip and Tay are all that happy to lose games, I say good riddance. They can be very capable bench players, or ineffective starters.
  9. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Agreed 100% - :thumb:
  10. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I agree with Lee about the backcourt rotation. Starting Stuckey & Gordon and having TMac and Rip off the bench is probably the best option we have right now. Of all the guards we have on the team, Rip's game is most compatible with McGrady's.
  11. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

I politely tried to say that all this stuckey bashing here has reached already at the irrational level.

some posts are like no less is expected from Stuckey than saving the franchise.
  12. Mr. Big Shot

Mr. Big Shot First Round Draft Pick

Rip and Tayshaun are so selfish...

Im sick of watching their two man game and all the ill advised shots, which is ironic because they use to both be players that I enjoyed watching every single game for a long time...

Midway through the 2nd quarter, Ben Gordon had an open three but passed up the shot to prince who was open for a second. Tayshaun held the ball, waited for his defender to come to him, and then hoisted the mid range jumper that bounced off the rim even though Ben Gordon was open again.

Speaking of Ben Gordon...YouTube - Ben Gordon 42 Points vs Celtics Game 2 Playoffs! HD! 20.4.09

This guy is an incredible scorer...yet somehow we let him waste away on the bench and when he does come in, we don't even look for him or let him do his own thing.
  13. hitafreethrow

It would be interesting to sit through a Piston practice. Seems to me that no one on the Pistons team could stop BG, in a game or in practice. So does that fact that Rip/Stuck whoever is constantly getting torched by Gordon in practice effect they interact with him in games? Dont let him get his, or I might be riding the pine. It doesn't make any sense.
  14. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

When I saw that game/series, I said to my friend, "Some dumb GM is going to overpay him thinking they hit the jackpot." Then it happened. Unfortunately it had to be the team I root for.

I thought the move to sign McGrady and attempt to sneak into the playoffs was a dumb move anyway. While I'm not happy with the direction of the roster, I'm happy with the direction down the standings. This team needs balls. Lottery balls.
  15. hitafreethrow

Caught the Kentucky game last night, and that young guy they have playing center for them is an athlete! Real athlete. Has tenacity, good foot work, and did I mention he's an athlete? Might not be an NBA 5, but man talk about a strong 4.
  16. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

it's just the counterpart to Joe D's constant over-valuation
  17. Brap

Brap Starter

Some of you guys said it above, but Ben, Rip and Tay are shells of their former selves - especially Ben and Rip. Tay is being totally misused. No way on earth is he a #1 or even a #2 scoring option - but we're using him that way.
  18. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I'm sorry, but some of the blame has to go to Gordon here too. Let's not act like it's everyone else holding him back and he doesn't have anything to do with his poor play. He started the year on fire, but over the last few weeks, he's been absolutely awful in every aspect of the game. He certainly hasn't been our best player, despite what many claim. Gordon has to step up... his contract is looking really bad right now.
  19. hitafreethrow

We've discussed this in the past, but Gordon NEEDS 35+ minutes a game to be successful. And that is why he was on fire at the beginning of the year, because he was able to get into the flow of the game. A guy like him will not make a dent playing 20-25 minutes a game, just wont happen.
  20. hitafreethrow