at New Jersey Nets Wednesday October 27 7:00 pm

Discussion in 'October 2010' started by roscoe36, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

What about us. What's our chances for such an ominous beginning to the season. To give up a wad of points in the closing moments against such a mediocre opponent is very telling for the next few weeks.

2. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

If you sorted out all of the "top young players" in the league, none of the players that you mentioned would even crack the top ten best "young players" at their respective positions.

3. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

THANK-YOU! I tell ya, the Kool-Aid is extra sweet these days for those who choose to drink it.

4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I totally agree. I saw it coming, too. It was just a matter of time before they checked in for the finale.

5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

We aren't loaded at the 1. We don't have any PGs. Actually, McGrady looks like the best option at PG right now. That takes care of 15 minutes. What do we do for the other 33?

6. BallDon'tLie

I'm all about being positive but it has to be grounded in reality.
    Win lose or draw I'm backing the Pistons and I ain't gonna jump ship if we have another 27 win year. I'm not a hater but I AM gonna be critical and suggest change when what I see on the court isn't measuring up.

Brap and I are a lot alike. We both love the Pistons but approach our fandom in different ways. He's an optimist - I'm a cynic. I've been following this team religiously for 30+ years and I think I've earned the right to be a bit of a smart-ass sometimes.

@ brap - :cheers:

7. Rocastle

Rocastle Bench Warmer

Ugh... I was gutted at the way we threw that away. Especially getting up at 6am to watch the tape delay on League Pass.

Nevertheless I'm keeping the faith, let's build on the improvements we saw.

I loved the play out of the timeout for CV's 3 with 14.5sec remaining.

8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

It is just frustrating losing to a lucky team like the Nets. Playing Favors 20 minutes, it's like they were trying to lose. What other reason would a 12 win team play their # 3 pick for so long? It's crazy. (To be fair to Q I think he put Monroe into the game, but he just never made it to the scorers table before the game ended.)

I also don't think it is so clear cut that Tay and Rip should not have been playing. You could make the argument that they were 2 of the better players out there for Detroit.

The Pistons start Daye at the 4 with the best case scenario being that he can cause a mis-match against his opponent, but then don't really give him the ball to do that.

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Dude, be realistic. There's only 1 basketball and we're not giving it to Daye. You gotta pay your dues if you want the leather.

He's just going to throw it at the basket anyway.

10. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

We lost this game because we do not have a point guard..period...Can u imagine shawn Marion setting up plays in the last two minutes with Jason kidd on the court? If we HAD a point guard, we'd use him.

Wonder what TweeTy nolan is doing?

11. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

That's the major issue. The other team gets you to remove your best defender/rebounder during crunch time.

Now the fact that a nearly retired Ben Wallace is this team's best rebounder/defender is an indictment on either A) Joe Dumars' decisions as a GM or 2) The other players' inability to find a rebound other than having it smack them in the face.

12. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Furthermore...I'm not going to become on of the "minute men" on the forum detailing how many milliseconds the young guys have to play, but...

WE SUCK. HOW THE HELL DOES MONROE NOT EVEN GET TO ENTER THE BUILDING IN GAME ONE????

Who the hell is he learning from? Who the hell is so much better than him that he gets ZERO minutes. WTF??? We are loooooooong gone from the days of letting the vets get us to 60 wins to we can challenge in APRIL. We clearly are not going to lose that 8th playoff spot on Oct. 27th. What the hell are we protecting...teaching...or preventing from putting this guy on the floor while we are being repeatedly tea-bagged by the likes of Lopez and Humphries? Good Lord. We don't even have Amir Johnson for him to play behind. This madness must end.
    :rant2: :angrysoapbox:

13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

What do you expect when the main question to potential draft picks is, How do you feel about sitting?

A favorite play from last night was when the Nets were sputtering with a 3 or so minutes to play and out of a timeout they went to Kris Humphries who looked like Jordan as he blew by CG. That might be the 1st and last time he ever gets a play drawn up for him in a timeout.

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I figured Monroe was injured. Hard to believe that he actually lost out on the starting PF spot to Daye. Especially when the Nets' center was dominating us.

If a top 10 draft pick isn't immediately a contributor to your team, then you better be a Championship contender.

15. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

We saw the same issue in the last preseason game loss last Friday when some of us pointed out that no real PG or Kobe or Lebron in the last 2 mins, then we will never win a close game....

Then again..based what occurred last night, being outscored 14-3 in the last 100 seconds it appears that no lead is safe enough for us down the stretch unless we play some D and have someone who can control the offense in that critical part of the game...

Maybe the coach needs to save 5 of Tmac's 15 minutes for the end of the game and let him run it. He would be great decoy and could even draw a double team to free up a shooter or two.

Tweety is probably enjoying life overseas...

16. BallDon'tLie

We were undefeated going into last night's game.
    Maybe now Q will now see the situation for what it is.

17. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

We saw that scenario a few years ago when we were a contender and look what happen to him. Cannot have Monroe sitting on the bench with no real game interaction and we are not even in the post season conversation.

See below how the 2010 lottery picks faired in their teams first game.

J. Wall ----- Wizards......first game tonight
    E. Turner ---- Sixers........31 mins 16 pts, 7 brds
    D. Favors----- Nets....... .20 mins 8 pts, 9 brds
    W. Johnson ---Twolves....18 mins 13 pts, 4brds
    D. Cousins --- Kings...... 27 mins 14 pts, 8 brds, 5 assists
    E. Udoh -------Warriors....Inactive
    G. Monroe ---- Pistons.....CD-DNP
    A. Aminu -----Clippers.....1 min 0 pts
    G. Hayward ----Jazz .......21 mins 9 pts
    P. George ---- Pacers......23 mins 4 pts, 3 brds
    C Aldrich ------Thunder....CD-DNP
    X. Henry ------Grizzlies....14 mins 6 pts, 2 brds
    E. Davis ----- Knicks.......Inactive
    P. Patterson --Rockets.....Inactive

18. Brap

Brap Starter

I totally disagree. Stuckey IS already one of the best young guys at his position. We keep asking him to play other positions
    BECAUSE our supposedly best players are Gordon, Rip, Tay, Ben and Stuckey - and Gordon cannot even begin to think about the possibility of ever sort of guarding SG's (because of his size), and when Bynum plays he has to play PG. If they'd just leave him to play his position, his stats and the Pistons record would be much better over time.

19. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

both daye and jerebko have proved that all you have to do is - be a man and you'll get minutes . I guess Monroe is not a man yet.

It was already clear from preseason games.

And please, save me from those stupid fan theories a la "coach hates rookies" "coach holds players back" or "rookie develops faster when he gets minutes"

20. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

This is not a stupid theory.