1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

at New Jersey Nets Tuesday February 2 7:30 pm

Discussion in 'February 2010' started by roscoe36, Nov 3, 2009.

1. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Team Captain 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Dont be fooled by Tayn Kings cousin, the Taint King.

2. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

You'll need to explain to me how he didn't have a good game at the point last night, because unless my eyes AND the stats deceive me, he most certainly did. 8 assists to 0 turnovers and he was hitting Hamilton, open and in rhythm off those screens every time.

3. Brap

Brap Starter

Yeah - I'm just not getting the arguments (lately) that Stuckey isn't performing well as a PG. I think he's been quite good in that department.

4. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I understand not wanting to pair Bynum and Gordon together, but I don't think this really solves that problem since they will still see their fair share of minutes together on the court. Unless we play more zone, we aren't going to be able to hide the defensive deficiencies of Bynum, Gordon and even Hamilton.

But Bynum though... Bynum was getting killed (and I mean KILLED) by Harris last night, frequently out of position and gambling for steals. Bynum is a major defensive liability. I think he might be our worst defender and that's saying quite a lot.

And I agree that those three guard lineups are also killing us (Bynum-Gordon-Stuck) (Bynum, Gordon, Rip).

5. Brap

Brap Starter

The plan at the start of the season, before the injuries DEVESTATED the plan and this team, was to reduce the minutes of all 4 guards and for Stuckey and Bynum to attack and defend full court all the time - to let other teams deal with our strength and to be relentless. With the athletes our team added in the draft, and even with Maxiell and Ben and Wilcox, that ought to be a very good style for us. Last night, we saw that a little bit.

6. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

WOAHHH PARDNER!! Bynum just came back from how many games off? Let him shake the rust off first. Bynum had the exact opposite reputation before he went down to injury this year.

7. Brap

Brap Starter

I think Bynum has the reputation as a middling defender - not horrible, but not great. I think the hope is that he can develop eventually into a Lindsay Hunter on-the-ball level pest. He is good at that at times.

8. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Sure, I'm all too glad you asked. The zero turnovers, FANTASTIC! The asts, misleading. Hitting a hot Rip Hamilton is not my idea of running an offense. Example: Stuckey stands at the top of the circle dribbling and waiting for Rip to come off the curl, sometimes he's open, sometimes he's not. On the other Bynum ran the same play, BUT, he threatened to drive while Rip was curling, the defense collapsed on Will, Will kicked it BACK to Rip for a WIDE open J, had the defense not collapsed Will has a layup, but since it did there was no help D on Rips curl.

Bynum created shots for other players, Rodney does too, but he never has head up, or his body under control to know that, his court awareness is absolutely horrible. Now let me be clear I'm not saying Bynum is this great example of a PG either and we should bench Rodney in favor if Bynum, I'm not saying that at all.

I played this position for my entire life so I'm OVERLY critical of the position, there's so many nuances to it that we could go on and on, but the thing that continued last night is that the PG position does not come naturally for Rodney, he overthinks to stagnation.

And there is no way in heck you can win with a PG that scores about 20ppg as a volume shooter, while shooting under 40% from the field, can't do it, especialy one who doesn't grasp the mental side of the game muchless the mental side of the PG position.

9. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

He runs the point just like his mentor did before he left. That's what CB used to do and he was awarded a Finals MVP for it I believe.

10. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Team Captain 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Trying to teach Rodney Stuckey the PG position is like trying to teach a group of 11th graders that have played a motion offense their entire lives, to run a flex offense. There is way too much thinking going on, and not enough re-acting. Once he figures this pro PG game out, which I think he will, he will slowly begin to bring together the many aspects of his game, which he is ignoring right now, to try and fit the mold.

11. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

He did? Bynum will never be very food defensively because of his size alone. But he really lacked the lateral quickness to stay with Harris last night and he was forced to reach, which led to bad fouls.

I'm sure he'll get a little better, but I've seen this from him even before the injuries. He can pressure the ball well, but that's about it.

12. coynejeremy

Well, he wasn't a DPOY before his injuries, but I do remember him being praised by announcers and in here for being a pesky man defender. I even heard comparisons between him and Lindsey Hunter at times.

13. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

He can pressure the ball well at times like Hunter. But that is where the comparison ends. Hunter was actually great at sticking to his man. Bynum is not.

14. max

max All-Star

Yes I do. I don't think it will happen though. Try moving Rip/Tay if the Pistons do not starting winning some games. What did that one Tiger GM say years ago "You try to trade these guys". And forget about getting any decent FA's to come here.

With that said, its going to be a lot of fun this June watching that draft - at least we have that.

15. coynejeremy

This will probably be the first year ever that will I care to watch the draft lottery.

16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I respect that opinion, and if I read you right, we agree, right now he overthinks the position and is in no way playing his best ball as a PG, some of you believe he'll finally get it, I don't, only time will tell.