at New Jersey Nets Tuesday February 2 7:30 pm

Discussion in 'February 2010' started by roscoe36, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

We do not have to lose in the first round. If Kuester learns anything by the playoffs, the Pistons could go deep, if they get there. The key is someone in Piston management letting Kuester know its ok to coach for wins. Like tonight, he did not play an injured CV in the 2nd half. Coaching for a win. If he keeps that up, we could go far. And not dressing Atkins. That was huge.
  2. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Nice writeup and some admittance of perspective (Atkins comment)...I like that.
  3. pass99

Yikes! It's catching:

Nice comment and some admittance of perspective (Stuckey)...I like that.
  4. pass99

A tiny pattern (for both teams) was evident and I am sure the Nets staff have picked up on it: Harris is not a thinking PG. This has always been an obvious (positional situation) from our point of view. They have my deepest sympathy.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We have several players who's statistics are noticably below their long term averages. Especially in the 3-pointer department.

Rip's at .241 vs. a career .344 and a career high of .458.
    Tay's at .214 vs. a career .368 and a career high of .397
    Ben Gordon's at .306 vs. a career .409 and high of .435

The common thread is that they've all had significant absences due to injury.

And holy crap is Stuckey a terrible 3-point shooter. He's sitting on .156 this year from deep vs. a career average of .237 and a high of .295.

Overall, we are 28th in the league in 3 point makes and dead last in 3 point percentage at .283. The Suns and the Cavs are both over .400 as a team and they take a lot of them.

But 3-point shooting is just one aspect of how bad we shoot the ball. In terms of regular FG%, we are 28th. In FT%, we are 29th. eFG = 29th.

Now, the strange thing is that we picked up some superb scorers in the off season. Our defense was supposed to stink this year, but our offense was supposed to be explosive. Not so. Is it the injuries or is it the lack of a true PG? It's possible that we aren't getting easy shots like other teams.
  6. pass99

A win is a win. Next year both clubs will not be hovering around the bottom. Hard to believe that the white fox Harris is now gone. Classy guy.

A shared game ball: RIP and Tay played solid games. Some secondary figures from both look more inviting toward a second half season. Tay with rebounds and RIP with assist.

Bynum is a keeper and many teams will be going hard after him. For JD this one is a lock down decision.

Gordon is a complete rhythm player. If Q can't understand this, then he has learned nothing in all his years of coaching. He needs a minimum of 6 minutes per quarter. Let me repeat that with emphasis: He needs a minimum of 6 minutes per quarter. When this happens, if the Pistons are in crunch time in the last 5 minutes of the game, then Gordon will win you ball games. It's that simple. Here's another simple fact for Q: it may make a difference if you are coaching next year.
  7. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Mercury, I have been saying this for a month. CV throws up circus shots. He has not been disciplined on offense or defense. He makes easy shots into hard shots. He pump fakes even on layups. He needs a lot of coaching. He would be far better to just practice spot up threes to start. He is a skilled player that is a "project."
  8. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Tayshawn,

I have been clamoring long and loud back to last year that the Pistons were not in the NBA on three point shooting. And they still aren't. Gordon has been out. CV prefers circus shots rather then practicing the spot up three that all teams use and the Pistons need. Stuckey needs at least a two shot before he can move up a level. Tay's three is gone and Rip is not really a three baller. JJ is a rookie who needs a year or two to get consistent. Bynum can't shoot a three. Not a good mix.
  9. pass99

The problem is that all members of the team are wearing, upon their heads, tin-foil tricorne hats.

The leadership missing is from any recognition of the game's perceptions. This is generally the role of your PG.

As is usual, sign language works best from the head coach and waving your arms about is an excellent team propaganda technique that shows team concern or a wink toward involvement.

Only the type of coach like LB would have a set routine worked out with his PG and always with a silent nod. Good coaches work their PG and everyone on the team knows it.

The problem with Q is that the silent nod is beyond recognition and he must use an electronic cinematic clapboard. The reason I can recognize this is that I can see reflections from the clapboard beams bounching from the tinfoil hats. I could be wrong about this: next time I will be bringing my Avatar 3-D glasses to see if I am missing another dimension.
  10. pass99

I will be the first signature on the petition in elevating you to be JD's assistant. He could use one.
  11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The three point shooting has probably cost this team at least 6-7 games as there have been some games where we have been outgunned beyond the arc by as many as 21 points...It was 15 point differential to the magic the other night and we almost won the game despite that.

As bad as we are shooting the three, our defense of it seems to be even worst based on the number of times we seem to leave guys wide open to shoot it. Two years ago we were in the top 5 defending the three and now I would hate to see how far the mighty have fallen.
  12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Fact is, you have to be able to hit 3's late in games to win them because teams are not going to concede the paint.

And no, Stuckey did not have a good PG game last night, do not let the numbers fool you. BUT, he is getting better. He can't play over 32mpg at a high level (the return of Will B solves that problem). He doesn't create shots for others and he still doesn't see the floor. I'm still disgusted that he misses sooooooo many layups, it's starting to drive me crazy. BUT, I love that the refs are starting to give him some respect, excellent job of getting to the line.

Nice game by Tayshaun.

Player of the game, Jason Maxiel. Did all the little things from the PF spot to help us win tonight.

Still need to make some moves, JJ is not quite ready to play the 4.
  13. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Good to see Kwame in this one to help defensively on Lopez.

Would like to see more of Daye at the 3 to give Tay a breather. I am not sure Q can get away without playing small ball and keep our stars all involved in the flow of the game. With Wil coming back; I see a more up tempo second unit but just don't see how Wil and Bengo can match up defensively against the 1's and 2's.

The only solution I can see with our current roster is switching up the pairings which will not go over well. If we move Stuck to the bench and let Wil start with Rip we can match better defensively. That gives us Stuck in for Wil and Bengo in for Rip off the bench and gives us a better match up defensively there too(even though it is crossed matched).
  14. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The toilet bowl did not disappoint.

This tanking stuff is hard, I find myself getting upset if they win or lose.

I wanted to hang myself after the Nets scored 29 points on about 93% shooting in the 1st Q. I also don't think I could have handled it if the Nets out executed the Pistons down the stretch.

Stuckey almost got his 5th dunk of the year, I think. He is playing better though, he normally shoots 6-18 but last night he was scorching the net at a blistering 6-17 clip.

Did Kiki Vandehoweveryouspellit stand up once during the game?
  15. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

He did. Once, to meet Yi at the scorers table when he came out of the game with his sore shoulder.
  16. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yi is injured? For purely strategical fantasy basketball reasons, I am happy.
  17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Is the Izod Center where the Nets play the building formerly known as The Meadowlands?

In any event it looks like a bomb went off in the place. The Palace seems lively in comparison.

I think the Nets should change their name when they move to Brooklyn. They should go by the Brooklyn Rims.
  18. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

They are already New Jersey Nyets.
  19. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I love it. He can join Capp Spayce as our newest Piston to help us secure a future player.

Tay N. King

or Tayn King :pound:
  20. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

CJ - Yi came back in and played significant minutes in the 2nd half, so it does not appear the injury was anything major. I was pretty stoked as well, as I have Kris Humphries in one of my utility spots this week, and he gave a solid effort with 9 points and 12 boards.