At Minnesota T 'Wolves Jan. 28th, 8:00 PM

Discussion in 'January 2009' started by Dlev59, Jan 21, 2009.

1. detteam

detteam All-Star

After a great game like tonight's, Sheed is bound to disappear.
  2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You know him well my man...:smoke06:
  3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Actually, he did sit for a few minutes in the 4th, and JMAX held the fort well while he took a rest.

Dyess had a split personality in this one. Jump shooter, working for the other team. Working inside, working for us. Everyone look at what Dyess did inside tonight. Yes, he can play inside. Someone tell him to give up his pansy jumpshot game, which mostly just makes the other team rejoice.
  4. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

AI hurt us early. We were up by eight and then AI started missing shots. He did make some nice plays in the fourth quarter. The issue is not that he can't play. Curry is afraid to take him out when his shot is off. Then he still plays small ball a few minutes in the 4th because Rip is not getting his minutes.

AI hit 9 of 10 free throws but four were when the Pistons had the game. Otherwise, 5 of 15. If he were Billips or any other player, he would have sat on the bench.

But the key is not AI but the bigs. When Sheed or any big plays well, the Pistons are at a higher level.

We played at mid-pack level but there were signs of who we were. Let's see if the AI intangible will help against Cavs or Boston.
  5. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

If Sheed played like that every game, this team would be 2 or 3 time champions..... Too bad he doesn't get to go up against Al and the Timberwolves frontline every day.
  6. theprince22

theprince22 First Round Draft Pick

what roscoe said
    "Good win on the road against a hot team."

exactly
  7. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Lee, agree, Dyss showed he could play inside.
  8. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Nice win. Minnesota showed some talent, why they have won 10 of 12 of late. Curry did not do anything too crazy. Nothing you can point to as a mistake really. Small ball? Maybe 4 minutes that Rip played small forward. Thats it. Too big? Minnesota goes big enough on their front line that the Dyess / Sheed duo is ok. And gee, Dyess was playing inside quite a bit in this one. Still too many jumpers, but he gave a lot of key scoring inside. The one jumper late helped a lot too I must confess. And he had a double double to boot.

Sheed got a serious double double himself with 25 points. Yes, Jefferson scored a lot on him. But man, Jefferson really does have some talent. Can't say the shots were not defended. Jefferson missed enough too.

So Sheed guarded their best player, scored a ton, with clutch shots in crunchtime, manned the boards, and came up with 5 steals. I guess you could call him the best player in this game. Yes, he played 40 minutes, but we just had two days rest. And no, we don't play tomorrow night.

AI missed a bunch of shots. Got scored on some. But he scored 19, just about all at the basket or at the free throw line. I'll take that everytime. Getting them in foul trouble is great.

Rip managed to score double digits, though he shot poorly from outside. I liked seeing him finish a couple of fast breaks at the hoop. His minutes, not anywhere near 30. Closer to 20. He is coming off the bench. AI, a starter, and Stuckey too, I believe got 40 minutes.

Stuckey did most of his damage like AI, at the hoop, or at the line. Yes, we won this one at the line. Just AI and Stuckey made more free throws than the bad guys. 14 points for Stuckey.

Afflalo and Maxiell played, but little. Neither did much. Just added some defensive effort.

Amir scored on a fast break, was never posted up, or otherwise took a shot. a couple of blocks were his highlights. But, you can't underestimate how much his sharp defensive rotating helps us. Shadowing the ball as their point brings it up, getting to his guy easily before they can take advantage. Another win with Amir starting. Anyone want to guess just what our record is with Amir starting vs. not?

Tay made some shots, played fine D.

Boston is Friday, at the Palace. From what I could see, no Piston was looking past tonight's game. The team needed this one. Good win.

GO PISTONS!!!!!

PS, absolutely, I think Kwame should have played some to help check Jefferson. Get the guy involved.
  9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

You are discounting all the fouls AI was drawing. Not every foul drawn gets you to the line. But Telfair was sitting in foul trouble, and that helped us. Both AI and Stuckey were helping by getting to the hoop and drawing fouls. Also, note, AI missed two or three layups, so don't anyone think he was just shooting jumpers. I'd say he only took one bad shot.
  10. Jewelz0376

Jewelz0376 First Round Draft Pick

I mentioned that in the chat earlier...AI should play like that everygame...just forget the jumpers and attack the basketball...i can live with AI missing layups as long as he's being aggressive...
  11. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Wasn't it Max who threw it back?

You're right. Interestingly, Max played much better in the 2nd stint. Love was schooling him for a bit there.
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

LoL, smirk. Hmmm. Maybe he should attack the basket?
  13. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Lee, four of AI's foul shots came when they had to foul in the last seconds. He did get a few non-shooting fouls, yes. But his early 0 for 4 or 5 absolutely stopped our momentum. I think we were down 18-16 after being up 14-6. It took us the whole game to regain the momentum. At some point, a player has to hit shots. This is not just one game. Let's see if he can get to the line/change the pace of the game against the cavs or Celts. I presume that is why he is here--to give the Pistons a better chance at the top teams.

Meanwhile, Rip got 22 minutes. Did Rip play that bad and AI that good?
  14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I'd take AI's game over Rip's any day. Rip was missing badly on his jumpers in the 2nd quarter, shots that had zero chance of ever drawing a foul. Yes, I feel for the guy, having to come in cold like that. But AI goes to the rack so much, him being cold on his outside shots is not so important. Heck, Rip even missed a pair of free throws - before then making up for it, and the other missed shots, with his triple.

The combination of Stuckey and AI being a threat to go inside is something the other team has to spend major time on trying to come up with defensive schemes. I love it. No way I want Rip's jump shots back in the starting unit.
  15. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

no, its just a case of MC not knowing where to find minutes for one of his best players.
  16. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

The only place the extra minutes will come from is a reduction in AI's PT. I don't understand why it's so hard for him to find a balance. None of the guards need to be playing 38+ min. The only one who should probably be getting extended minutes at this point is Stuck and even he can cap off at 35.
  17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Tonight was the only game between Sunday, to Friday. Yes, you would hope the players would get more rest, if the games were coming at them faster. Lets see how it works out. We have had AI get relatively light minutes too in a game or two.
  18. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

AI is playing way too many minutes, but Curry is too afraid to cut his minutes.
  19. AI IS GOD

AI IS GOD Second Round Draft Pick

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

2 games in a row where Sheed was getting embarrassed in the post by a big man and then summoned up the motivation to get down in the post himself for revenge. Tonight, 7-10 with some free throws too... and rebounds! He switched on.

I think that MC needs to get in his head a little bit. Create something artificial for Sheed to be mad about. Mess up his locker or something. It's really fun to watch when he's scoring in the post and the defense starts getting paranoid about him.