1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

At Minnesota April 1, 8:00 PM

Discussion in 'April 2008' started by Dlev59, Mar 30, 2008.

1. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Can i get props for that? LOL j/k

2. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Yeah, I guess you called it. Jarvis and Theo both started, but they only played 26 minutes combined. Both Amir and AA played more than that, 30 and 34. AA actually played more than anyone else.

3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Bench takes cares of business

Pistons 94- Twolves 90

Who said this was a meaningless game?? The allstars may have not cared, but the [strike]scubs [/strike] zoo crew came thru. I thinking that if we had played Billups, Rip and Sheed, we may have lost this one:sssh:

This win may have been bigger than the win over the Cavs, as the Pistons overcame a 21 point second qtr deficit with Stuckey having his breakout game showing what the Pistons faithful have to look forward to come playoff time and more importantly into the next decade. Not big on assists, but he did hit the key shots and the clutch FT's, going 12-13 at the line including 10 straight at one point. Career high 27 points

Tay played long enough to keep things in order and Dice got his usual double digit rebounds, but Flip basically went with all of his team with everyone scoring except Hunter.

Chiek Samb suited up with Rip's face mask and provided some nice miutes in the second qtr to help the Pistons get back in the game. DonJuan Dixon resurfaced from his injury to score some key buckets in the 2nd qtr.

But it was Stuckey, Fabio, AA, Tay and Amir in there in the end when it counted to steal and seal the victory over the lottery boundTwolves... I didn't see any shots of McHale on camera, but I know he was p'ed off.

4. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

Samb and AJ led the Pistons in +- at 14, but Samb was only in for five and a half minutes, while AJ played nearly 30. Impressive.

5. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

And, conversely, Joe D. was one happy camper.

6. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

woot! :hoops:

7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

TWolves are in a race for ping pong balls. Winning games doesn't help this cause.

8. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

27 points for Stuckey, many of them clutch in this 94-90 win. 12-13 at the line, and about 7-14. One triple made. He got to the basket several times, looking pretty spectacular on occasion. He made several outside shots. Looked good playing D on their star too. Billups did not play, so Stuckey got the start. He did almost all his damage in the 2nd half.

We were down 21 in this game early. Not because Sheed, Billups, and Rip did not play. But because of who we did let play. Like Hayes. How about Dyess and Theo paired up to start the game. Not that these two are bad players, but the game was moving way too fast for them. But hey, quick guys got to play plenty later in the game. (We started Stuckey, Hayes, Tay, Theo, Dyess. A very slow unit matched up with a very high energy Minnesota team.)

Like Afflalo. He came on and started playing some really nice D. Like Samb and Amir, who held the middle so well for the 2nd half of the 2nd quarter that Minnesota barely scored at all. (Like 2 points or so.) Jason Maxiell. Well, he proved kind of short here and there, but at least he gets to all the plays.

We sealed the deal with the following unit out there: Stuckey, Afflalo, Tay, Amir, JMAX. Now thats some high quality players.

Back to that 2nd quarter. Herrmann was in the game too as we got right back into the game. He did not look great on D, but he was hustling all over the place. Somehow he was effective. He had quite a shot go in, a one handed floater from the baseline. He made a three. I think he ended up with about 11 or 13 for the game. Not bad. He certainly impressed more than Hayes. (Although in Hayes defense, Herrmann got to play with the highly active Samb and Amir backing him up, rather than the slow pair of Dyess and Theo that Hayes was saddled with.)

Dixon was also in there, and although his defense did not look too great, it was good enough for us to have that major defensive stand. And he scored some hoops.

That was mostly a unit of Stuckey at point, Afflalo and Dixon coming in and out of the game at shooting guard, Herrmann, Amir, Samb. Samb helped the comeback with a made 17 footer. (We got it back to within 5 at the half.

Theo looked ok, but slow for this game for transition D. Stuckey hit him with an assist that he converted into a made hook shot. He does seem to be able to recover back to the basket well after showing.

Tay started out by missing so many shots I thought he was on Minny's payroll. But he ended up with a pretty good game in points and assists before it was done. They say he anchored the 2nd unit guys out there. Well, maybe, but maybe they did not need an anchor down. I say, Tay could have sat this one out, and we would have still won it by simply putting Amir in to start at small forward.

Dyess hit an outside shot, got inside for a score. Otherwise just poor D and some bricks laid. He was in there during a bit of a run though mid-third quarter after we got Amir Johnson into the game to replace Theo.
    Amir played plenty. A spectacular block. Some not so spectacular. A steal. Lots of getting to their shooter before they could do anything. Some offensive rebound putbacks. And suprisingly, Amir and Samb, these two supposed light weights, sure held their own tonight. Kind of surprised not to see Samb play more in the 2nd half. Oh, thats right, they are trying to play Theo into shape. Samb can, and should, play.

I see there is some doubt about this strategy to let the bench play. It is the right way to go. Our four key guys on the bench, Stuckey, Maxiell, Amir, and Afflalo, need floor time majorly. Samb needs time too. Theo needs to get played into shape. (Hunter too, though him playing tonight hurt us pretty bad.) Dixon? I like Dixon. I have friends who think I am nuts for ever saying anything good about the guy. I have followed him all year. Not a bad player, for an emergency guard. We simply have four guys who are better.

One thing still not done, although maybe we saw a start tonight, getting a replacement for Hayes in the rotation. Herrmann did look a lot better than Hayes in this game.
    GO PISTONS!!!!!

9. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

With a game like that, time to switch to those Flip Avatars..........

10. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

TWolves are worst in the league with now 15 games lost in the 4th qtr after having a lead.

11. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't know if that's accurate. Didn't they win something like 7 of their last 12 before this game? 7-5 is not great in the West, but it's playoff material in the East.

Generally speaking, I don't see how players care about the lottery. Who knows if they will be around next season? Why should I tank, risking my chances of getting good money, simply to help my current franchise get a better pick? Players that would purposely tank for the team either have incredibly good job security or are just dumb.

12. LA Dre

I know, but sometimes you want to beat the reallllllll good teams and after you blow a big lead to some inconsistent scrubs, you are upset for a few minutes...until you go look at the standings again and :)

13. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Biggest regular season win in the entire Flip era, IMO. Impressive and here's why I really like it:
    "president of basketball operations
    Joe Dumars told Saunders that it might be a good idea to get some of his weary veteran starters some rest."

Detroit will be tough for the Celtics to beat if the bench plays a significant role. Keep playing them. Keep the starters sharp but rested. MAYBE there IS hope.

14. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

You`re trying to be funny aren`t you????

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not sure if Minny scored while Samb was in the game. I think they got fouled a few times, but missed all the FT's.

16. LA Dre

Well we know Riley is tanking, playing d-leagures and 10 day contract guys. So far the Heat are four games ahead of the Sonics and six or so ahead of menphis and Minny for the right to have the most ping pong balls.

Riles knows that #1's can lead to Championships as the Lakers took Magic #1 in 79 and Worthy #1 in 82 and he rode it to 5 rings in the eighties.....

17. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    And Spurs got Duncan which led to a few ships as well.
    ... and Orlando got O'Neal.

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That was a lot of fun to watch wasn't it?

Good to see the young guys feel responsible for the outcome. You can tell that Stuckey is a gamer.

19. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    It became fun somewhere in the middle of the 2nd quarter. Until than it was worse than Miami game - pure garbage.

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah, the 1st quarter was stale. But that's understandable. Very impressive comeback considering the game had no real meaning for us. It wasn't easy either as Minny kept pulling away.