At Milwaukee Preseason Oct 23 8:30PM

Discussion in 'October 2009' started by max, Oct 16, 2009.

1. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I dunno, Isiah. You tell us. lol.
  2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

More on the plus minus stuff, and the game.

After reviewing the game log for plus minus (unit by unit), here is what I see:

At about 5:07 in the 3rd quarter, Milwaukee went up by 12 with a Delfino 3. Our unit out there was Bynum, Gordon, Stuckey, Jason Maxiell, and Ben Wallace. A couple minutes later, the lead had been shaved to 7. (which means I got the observation right that Ben Wallace was in there when we started our rally.)

At that point, Chris Wilcox came in for Ben Wallace, and the unit of Bynum, Gordon, Stuckey, JMAX, and Wilcox went plus 6.

To start the 4th quarter, Rip Hamilton had come in for Stuckey, a fact I missed on when I did my game report. This unit of Bynum, Gordon, Rip, CW, and JM was plus 8.

In all, that was a plus 19 with Jason Maxiell in the game from the time we were 12 down to the time we were 7 to the good.

Our starters pretty much played the last 6 minutes, except that Gordon was in instead of Daye. They were minus 5 there, but managed to hang on for the win. Stuckey did all our scoring down the stretch, but note that CV did nail a three at 5:09 which is pretty close to being clutch (last 5 minute) scoring.

Let me see, units of note on plus and minus otherwise:

We fell behind in the 2nd half with a minus 6 effort from the unit of Stuck, Gordon, Daye, CV, BW. The minus 8 unit that lost our lead in the first half was Stuckey, Gordon, Rip, CV, BW.

Our starters (Stuck, Rip, Daye, CV, and BW started) were plus one for the game.

JMAX was part of ten different units for the game in all. He was plus 2 four times, plus 1 three times, minus 2 once, zero once, plus 6 to end the 3rd quarter, and plus 8 to start the 4th quarter. (may differ from official logs since I calculate free throws according to who was on the floor when the foul was drawn, not by who was on the floor when the free throws were made.)

Big man pairings:

Ben and JMAX: +4
    Ben and CV: -19
    Ben and CW: not paired up in game.
    JMAX and CV: not paired up in game.
    JMAX and CW: +16
    CW and CV: not paired up in game

Interesting, Villanueva only played along side Ben, and Wilcox only played along side JMAX.

Guard pairings:

Stuck, Rip, Daye: +1
    Stuck, Gordon, Daye -6
    Stuck, Gordon, Rip -13
    Bynum, Rip, Stuckey +1
    Bynum, Gordon, Stuckey +8
    Bynum, Gordon, Rip +8

Interesting: Stuck and Gordon combine for a minus 19 while Bynum and Gordon go plus 16.
  3. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I watched the first half and then tuned in to catch the finish. So why was Bynum limping off the court at the end?
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

He had a bad wipeout. Slow up the court, hobbling. I was surprised to see him play the rest of the way.
  5. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Thanks for the detailed +/- analysis Lee. Very interesting to dissect how the team performed with various combinations. Doesn't really give me a warm & fuzzy about CV though.
  6. discotom

discotom First Round Draft Pick

Nice cap, Lee.
    From the comments we have seen from Q and B. Gore, I think they at least realize they can't run this ship on offensive alone. No one is under the impression that they can play the Phoenix/GSW style and thrive.

The first step is admitting you have a problem....I think it has a lot to do with pairings, as Lee is sort of pointing out. Sort of worrisome with a rookie coach though. Will he have the confidence and experience to play the right combos even if that means $65 million is on the bench at certain times?
  7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Then again, you could say, hey, CV playing with Ben Wallace really limits his effectiveness, as they can ignore Ben and double on CV. Just one game. But I think its always important to track these kind of things - to see what wins you games, and what does not.

I'd like to see Villanueva get matched up with Wilcox and JMAX, while Bynum and Stuckey are in the backcourt.

That would leave, Gordon, Rip, Tay, Ben Wallace, and Kwame as the other unit.

And Jerebko and Daye as the 11th and 12th guys.

Note, since I have seen Summers and Washington so little, I have no opinion yet on them.
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I like seeing Ben play when Detroit goes with the 3-guard lineup. He can help clean up some of their defensive lapses.
  10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Nice work Lee, a sincere thank you from one fan to another.

And there are going to be plenty of lapses to clean up.
  11. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

No doubt....and the key to Piston success this year is not going to come down to some magical player combination or rotation.
  12. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe Ben should go with a new nickname like The Janitor or The Custodian.
  13. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

PREDICTION:

I SEE A LOT OF PEOPLE GETTING BANNED FROM THE FORUM THIS YEAR...

I WILL NOT ORDER NBA LEAGUE PASS UNTIL DECEMBER AND IF PISTONS ARE NOT 15-15 , NOT AT ALL......

THE COACH WILL GET BETTER BEFORE THE PLAYERS WILL. THIS SEASON IS A WASH FOR ME.....

CANT WAIT FOR COLLEGE BALL TO START...SPARTANS AND WOLVES WILL FINISH IN TOP 15. CAN U SAY 'COLLEGE CHAT ROOM?'......

RASCOE WILL HAVE NERVOUS BREAKDOWN OR SEVERE ANXIETY ATTACK BY BY GAME 10..............

WILL THE LOW HAVE TO GET THE FBI TO STOP TAPPING HIS PHONE ON LIVETALK AFTER THE NUMEROUS PISTONS DEATH THREATS ON THE BROADCAST? YES......

AT LEAST 5 PISTON FORUM HUBBY'S AND 2 WIVES WILL FIND OUT THAT THEY 'CAN' HAVE SEX ON PISTON GAME NIGHT AND NOT THINK OF WHAT THE SCORE IS 'DURING' IT!!....