At Milwaukee Bucks Dec. 27th, 8:30 PM

Discussion in 'December 2008' started by Dlev59, Dec 21, 2008.

1. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

This is how young players are suppose to react when given a chance.... take it and run with it.... still is raw and is missing asignments here and there, but his energy is great and makes things happen.

Another dude by Max.... the only player that was on the floor tonight that didn't out rebound him was bynum.

I'd say that no matter who starts that Amir needs to be getting strong mins off the bench by his play the last two nights and Max can go sit deeper on the bench.... Its getting depressing how unactive he's getting.

Only other thing I was saddened by was the Offense of the bench in the 4th, there effort on the def end was solid but they were settling on jumpshots way to much on the offensive end. they needed to continue to attack the basket.
  2. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Amir defenitely deserves some burn. He is a hustle player that can rebound( especially on the offensive end) and his blocks are much needed.
  3. fwoompf

fwoompf First Round Draft Pick

We soundly beat a team we were supposed to beat!

What a lovely day, especially with this warm weather. :)
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

First Pistons-esque win in quite some time. Defense, shot blocking, hustle.
  5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

We beat a hot team tonight. And it was not close. No small ball played, not for a single second of the game. How refreshing. (Although you could call that GT unit small ball and not get called wrong for doing so.)

Rip has reaggravated a muscle pull, apparently during last nights game, and did not play tonight. I heard nothing about his return.

Since Rip was out, Amir got the start. They said it was because of last nights play, but hey, Amir played just fine as a starter to start the season. He had already earned it. Amir was everywhere on D, just like last night. And he guarded anyone we put him on, even Bogut, just fine. Not to mention he led a tremendous offensive rebound attack by the Pistons tonight. (He ended up with 8 points, 11 rebounds, and 4 blocks, officially. I think he had more blocks than that.)

Amir scored some too. First play of the game, Amir was posted up to the right and hit a hook shot. Maybe the one he missed last night was good practice. Let me see, he also got a good feed from AI and put it in, and put back a couple of offensive rebounds. In addition, his involvement in the offense, both on fast breaks and in half court sets helped us score by making them guard him instead of the shooter. Just a darn good all around game for Amir.

Sheed had a fine game. What a difference it makes when Sheed is given help up front. Sheed takes the saved energy, and makes something real nice out of it. And he hit 3 triples as we put them away in the 3rd quarter. 16 and 12 for him, several blocks even though I think they only credited him with one.

As well as our starting unit did in the 3rd, thats AI, Stuckey, Tay, Amir, and Sheed, the same unit with Afflalo instead of Stuckey looked even better. That unit, AI, Afflalo, Tay, Amir, and Sheed put a total hurt on Milwaukee for about 3 minutes. Milwaukee could not figure where to turn, and basically, their coach just threw in the towel, and played the end of his bench from that point on. Best I can describe that unit is as a defensive whirlwind.

edited: to add

Ok, Milwaukee was already pulling the starters even before Afflalo came in to end the 3rd quarter. So, yes, that unit looked great indeed, but it was not against Milwaukee's starters.

AI had a fine game. Lots of scoring. His highlight, a reverse fade. Shooting from the right of the basket, passing under the basket, turning, elevating, and shooting the ball in while fading away from the basket and his defender. They showed that one a few times.

Tay, other than attempting some triples which he can't possibly hit at the moment, had a great game. He had his guy, Jefferson, contained down to near nothing, got plenty of rebounds, hit some shorter outside shots and one from just inside the three, and got inside some too.

I think Stuck scored about 10 or so. Nothing to write home about. Afflalo just played the D. JMAX did very little in this game, but I still liked the fact he got the minutes. Dyess hit a couple of jumpers, but otherwise fit this game poorly. As a few have mentioned, Dyess has no size to guard Bogut, and really, Kwame should have taken his minutes tonight.

Nobody wants to see a guy injured. However, I am sure many of you feel, as I do, that we got a late Christmas present tonight by getting a break from small ball. Take your time coming back Rip.

It got a bit dicey there at the last. With us up about 20, Curry put in a unit of Bynum, Stuckey, Afflalo, Amir, JMAX to finish out the game. The lead got down to 11 with a few minutes to go, and Tay was brought in for Bynum for 2 minutes to make sure we got the W.

Note, Amir fouled out, but, 2 of the fouls were in garbage time, plus he played 35 minutes, guarding everyone from Villanueva, to Jefferson, to Bogut. Pretty darn good job.

Grading Curry for this game: I won't give him an A, since he was forced away from his usual rotation. If he had done it voluntarily though, he would get an A. He could be looking at an A+ rotation if he had played Kwame on Bogut some when Sheed was sitting. (and he would have had to have played Dyess less, not play Maxiell or Amir less than he did.) Oh yeah, and I liked he trusted his bench with extended time, whereas he could have left his starters in, even though this was a back to back and they really had played enough. Matter of fact, I am going to give him an A anyway.

Our four young stars, Amir, Afflalo, JMAX, and Stuckey all played enough minutes. Bynum got a little burn for a bonus. No Kwame. And our vets, they were not overplayed. (Well, maybe for a back to back set a bit, but its progress on Curry's part.)

Got to mention something positive about Herrmann. Yes, reluctantly. LOL. But still, he was in there for a few minutes to end the 1st quarter, and although he did absolutely nothing but get driven by, missed a shot, we still were about plus 9 with him in for that stretch.

And one note on AI's defense. Their starting point managed to shoot over him once. And thats it. His defense ain't showing up that bad at all for us to this point.

GO PISTONS!!!!!
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Good game. Very pleased tonight. That was a gritty win, against an up and comer who needed to be reminded that they are the Bucks, the Milwaukee Cupcake brigade.

We just took over in the 3rd, and pulled away... wooooosh
  7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Exactly Lee. Take your time coming back TG, take yo time. Go find a nice groin recovery center somewhere. I hear Utah has a good one.

Man that made me happy not having to watch that starting lineup out there. It was a lot harder to give away the lead also without 9 guards in there also.

They actually got Sheed some mid range type J's without all the small fries circling about.
  8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I'm confused. I thought good teams were supposed to throw away their leads in the 3rd quarter not pull away?
  9. Pistons Lover

Pistons Lover First Round Draft Pick

Yeah it was a good game. I'm very pleased as well. I was very happy to see that they actually hustled on a back to back game and they defended well. The third quarter gave me chills cause it reminded me of the good ole Pistons games. Amir tonight had me jumping all over the place. I loved his play and his work ethnic along with his garbage clean-up. Hope we get to see another one like this.
  10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I disagree about JMAX. There have also been a lot of games where JMAX has been awesome with his defense, and ability to bull his way around the basket. The Cleveland win, for instance, was just about all JMAX. His defense of the pick and roll that game had Cleveland stymied. JMAX was a bad fit tonight. Their bigs can shoot over him, and their skill guys are too quick. BUt many a night, JMAX does fit. Got to keep playing them both. (PS, Dyess was no fit for this game either, Kwame should have played though. And the main thing, you gotta love the depth.)
  11. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

A few more games like that and I WILL join the Amir fan club. Was that Dennis Rodman out there! Curry is starting to put the pieces together. He took the team apart and now he knows what he has. Yes, agree with Lee--lets get Kwame some burn against Bogut.

I like Sheed shooting threes--that is the best part of his game. He played major defense under the hoop as well.

AI needs to be talked to about unnecessary turnovers with the dribble.

The Pistons played at a near elite level for the first time in awhile.

One problem: That second unit with Afflalo and JMax just does not have enough offense (remember the Atlanta and Utah second quarters?). AI is not the right anchor for that unit unless the idea is to let him completely take over. I would rather see Rip or Stuckey there. The lack of offense from that unit in the last 3 of 4 games has hurt our momemtum. Joe needs to get a 3 ball shooter for that unit if Hermann continues to miss his shots.
  12. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Mike Miller can supposedly be had for the right price; what the "right price" is i don't know
  13. roscoe36

Yep, you're confused. Good teams choke away double digit leads midway through the 4th Q. Mediocre teams start in the 3rd. :D

Sheed is so fantastic playing defense. I saw some classic clips of him in Portland playing with Sabonis, man that must have been a thrill to watch all season.
  14. Prodigy007

Prodigy007 Second Round Draft Pick

It's been a while since i've watched an entire game from start to finish and here are some of my thoughts:

1. stuckey's emergence - even after the 40 point game I was still a little hesitant with his pg abilities but after seeing lots of quality dishes and the ability to aggressively take it to the rim and the fact that he doesn't turn the ball over he's earned his 30 plus min in the rotation

2. ai's decline -is it just me or did AI settle on way too many fade-away jumpshots? Also, he had 5 t/o's this game which is unacceptable - there were several instances where he was trying to be vintage AI but it didn't work: for example, there was this one fast break when AI and hermann were running down the court and AI decides to take it to the hole but instead gets called with an offensive foul - he could've easily dished it to hermann, but no he had to be THE ANSWER and "carry" the team. I still don't think he gets it that he really doesn't need to shoulder the burden and can be a much better facilitator by breaking down the defense and dishing rather than turning the ball over multiple times

3. tayshuan was solid as usual, but I would like him to be more aggressive in general and hope that this level of production continues game in and game out

4. Amir was sick, 11 boards 4 blocks were what the stats reflected, but what I saw was the defensive intensity that he brings. Almost every shot was contested that the bucks took inside the paint and that was the reason why I think they started to take a lot of outside shots. He's earned at least 25+ minutes a game from now on even after rip comes back

5. sheed's becoming the 3rd shooting guard on the team. He doesn't post up anymore and basically settles for the outside shot. I have no problems with him being a Robbert Horry type player on offense and more of a defensive threat (he is an all around player, but he's getting older so if we want him to play more than 30 min a game we have to expect less) but this may be a problem in the playoffs if he's not knocking them down.

6. bench - when curry took over this team he said that he would be much more willing to use the bench which is complete bs. the only person who played any major minutes was affalo and he got garbage minutes. Curry must develop a much better rotation where everyone is able to get the minutes they deserve but at the same time keep everyone's minutes in check

7. conclusion, yes we won the game and I was happy, but the starters played way too many minutes and this 4 guard rotation (with sheed basically being another shooting guard) that curry fondly calls small ball needs to end and we need two legitimate big bodies on the floor at all times: sheed amir jmax mcdyess, brown period.

I like the direction we're headed in and lets hope that we can handle the new and improved orlando magic in the next game
  15. roscoe36

Nice post.

I think the adjustment is a lot more difficult than most people perceive. It's not just how he plays, it's probably a large part of how he defines himself as a person.

Well, that's providing he doesn't foul out in 14 minutes. I like what Curry has done with him. Curry's been hard, and Amir has responded. The question is whether or not Amir is serious about being a full time basketballer, and committing every minute he is out there.

If Sheed can give us 12/6/ and 2 blocks, with his defense, that'll be enough.

I don't like to run my mouth like this, but Orlando are a bunch of punks. We have owned them for 2 or 3 years now. They need to beat us, not the other way around.
  16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

ROTFLMAO...Sho' Ya' Right....Maybe while he's there he'll get comfortable, convert to mormonism, acquire 3 wives, take up skiing and snow-boarding, develop a real Bro-Mance with Deron Williams where he tells D-Will things like, "You're twice the man Chauncey ever was"...then we can trade him straight up for Carlos Boozer, then........
    1. We can re-sign Boozer, with the $$$ TGRH would've made in 2009
    2. Get Memo with Sheed and AI's cap space.
    3. Sign Sheed and AI for 1/2 of what they make this season.
    I LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER!!!!!!
  17. Prodigy007

Prodigy007 Second Round Draft Pick

thanks for the input roscoe really appreciated it

kgreg if only ur plan came true :)
  18. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

:thumb:

let's get this done!
  19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Herrmann is not an NBA player. He has no speed. And due to that, he was running the break wrong. Look again, if you taped the game, and you will notice Herrmann running the wrong angle. He had no speed to run the right one, instead, he was heading straight for the basket, which is a shortcut. Any other player would have used their speed to come around from the right a bit, getting separation from himself and AI, and allowing the pass to be made.
  20. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

This is a plan, get er done Joe. LOL TG in Utah, classic.