At Miami Oct 5 6:30PM

Discussion in 'October 2008' started by max, Oct 2, 2008.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

1 game does not make Amir Johnson a player who does his thing without an impact on the stat sheet.

This guy's MO last year was little playing time, big stats. They question was whether we could extrapolate those stats to real minutes and whether his fouling would level off. But Amir always showed up in rebounds, blocked shots, and FG% (because of all his put backs).

I'll make my determination after at least seeing him play, and not listening to him on the internet radio while half asleep.
  2. Pistons Lover

Pistons Lover First Round Draft Pick

I'm feeling what your talking about. I think he can't really make an impact as he wants cause he's so anxious;If he calms down some and just move his feet and use his length and [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']athletic ability along with moving his feet, he can get it done. [/FONT]I can't wait to Wed. to make assessments on the team. I really wanna see how our bench plays together and get a feel for the line-ups out on the court.
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Have you people already forgotten about Amir's 57 point 63 rebound game against BOS to close out the 06-07 season? It was every bit as impressive as Herrrrrrman's stout defensive performance against Dirk last year in a hotly contested game.

Worst case scenario and Amir doesn't work out he can always help build Flip's statue outside the palace. He's tall so he can probably screw on the head. Either way we win.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Our big 4 might have a natural reaction to treat Amir as a garbage man b/c of the obvious experience difference, which could make it a self fulfilling prophesy. The play calls for AJ will probably be rare.

On the other hand, the other teams may ignore him, which will also benefit him in rebounding and garbage buckets.

I'm 100% down with Dyess off the bench. But I'm still open-minded about which young'n will be the best fit with the starters. If I were the coach, I would try Amir first because of his physical abilities and potential upside, but I could also see Maxiell filling the role if it doesn't work out.

In that scenario, Amir could be the garbage 4 off the bench and could be a better fit in the run'n'gun lineup.

Curry has to conduct a few experiments without blowing up the lab.
  5. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

At least three of four, but I've got a notion Sheed might get off on getting jams for Amir. The other three will wonder who this tall man is pushing them out of the way for boards. Assuming either of them actually get close enough to a rebound for that to happen.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah, he seems to like the mentor role. Hopefully the jams are off passes and not missed jump shots.
  7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Do you think Amir can find big success off garbage?
    I think our system would be shooting itself in the foot if it didn't make Amir the 3rd option.
    ...not 4th not 5th...
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's possible that he can find success.

I like the statistic that Michael Curry brought up the other day. It went something like this.

In 2006-07, McDyess came off the bench and had 664 points in 1,729 minutes.

In 2007-08, McDyess started 78 games and had 683 points in 2,285 minutes.

So, 556 extra minutes resulted in 19 extra points.

That is the exact reason why Dyess should come off the bench. He's more efficient because he can be the focal point of the offense... or maybe the #2 behind Stuckey.
  9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

One other thing of interest. I believe Miami was at 33% shooting at the time Amir got his fifth foul and left the game. (Except Amir did come in for a moments at the end of regulation.) Miami ended up shooting 40%, but that was because we very seldom stopped them after the point where Amir got his fifth.

Also, by my count, from the play calling of the Piston announcer, Amir had 6 rebounds, 4 offensive, and 2 defensive. (Official scorers, at the other team's place, don't always treat the opponent so nice on the stats.)
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I can believe Sheed took 7 three pointers in this game.

Our starting center made 1 FG from inside the 3-point line.

Not a good mentoring job so far.
  11. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Wow, I cannot wait to see the Wizards & Pistons play this coming friday from my floor seats. (Sorry you all), I couldn't resist this one.

I will be sitting right next to the Pistons bench (yeahhhhhhhh).

Can't wait to get back in the forum to give you all first hand observations on AJ and the rest of the crew.

I will even be close enough to hear the off the record comments, boy am I siked up.
  12. armygirl

Will send pics if someone can instruct me how to get them on the froum. This old girl is still catching up with 20th century technology...LOL.
  13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

That's awesome. You might be close enough for AJ to foul you.
  14. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

:pound::pound::pound:
  15. detteam

detteam All-Star

It would have been nice to see the game to determine if Amir's a bull in a china shop or just paying his dues to Stern's refs...or a combination of both.

Curry needs to have a 'sit-down' talk with Sheed. I know these games don't really matter, but from the sounds & stats from last night Sheed's not giving MC much data to work with after making Amir the 4.

Amir might learn more from playing with Dice in the post...moreso than chasing rebounds from Sheed's 3-pt clangers.
  16. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That's awesome. You might be close enough to congratulate Mike Curry on his Coach of the Year award.
  17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think Sheed is taking the 3s, so that Amir won't have to take them. Sheed is an unselfish and selfless player that way.

I'll PM you an email address to send them to.
  18. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Thanks for the elaboration on the game. Nice to see the defensive impact is still there.
    I'm curious about Sheed's 3's. Were they contested, or was he getting left wide open ? MC says he has no problem with 3's if they are off penetration/ inside/out. I wonder if he was just cold and they were good shots or what. Stupid-preseason. I hate not being able to watch, and i don't think LP is showing the games this year.
  19. armygirl

Congratulate hell, I will be delivering to him the Coach of the Year Trophy as well as personally filming his acceptance speech.

While I am at it, just let me go on record by saying, I have secretly designed a bust of Michael that will be enshrined at the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, of course he will be inducted as one of the greatest coaches of all times.

Congratulate, why settle for hamburger when you can have steak.
  20. max

max All-Star

That game is not going to be televised, at least not here.