At Miami Oct 5 6:30PM

Discussion in 'October 2008' started by max, Oct 2, 2008.

1. max

max All-Star

Larry Brown, The VanGundy's. I don't know off hand.

If you want to take one comment and run with it then go ahead. But to slam a coach on his prior career just seems pointless and unproductive to me.

I recall when they showed a video someone put together of Rick Carlisle as a player for the Piston players at the time. Everyone got a good chuckle out of it but thats about all it was worth.
  2. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Re-read my posts max. You've got my intention all turned around.

I'm not slamming MC the coach. In fact, he was my second choice for coach. Considering my #1 didn't stand a chance, MC was my #1 guy. During the coaching speculation MC in a suit was my Avi until the day he was hired. Go back and read the posts. I was one of the first to declare him the next guy, and support it.

I am slamming MC the player. He basically just compared Amir the player to MC the player. MC was no Dennis Rodman. MC was no Ben Wallace. MC was a marginal player that prospered in this league by working hard during a timeframe when really good swingmen were hard to come by. Orlando took a 3-1 lead on us solely on the strength of McGrady having a field day against a supposedly great defender in MC.

If Amir is the power forward version of MC then he will eventually be labeled a scrub. He will most assuredly not be what he has been hyped to be. Don't forget we are talking about a guy the organization claims would have been a lotto pick if he went to college.

Now he's Mike Curry Pt II.

Thats highly disappointing.

What's more disappointing is MC's need to rationalize Amirs lack of performance so early in the season.

Translation: The org. already knows what we are going to see, and felt the need to explain it to us preemptively.

It's a bad sign folks. The sign of things to come.
  3. raxrets

raxrets Starter

to add more negativity: so much for holding players accountable... Sheed obviously did not care (according to comments) but he still played a lot.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Cloud, please don't go.
  5. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Christ...it's the preseason. Chauncey was a turnover machine when he's usually a guy who takes very good care of the ball. All 3 of the team's primary bigs (Amir, Sheed, Dice) were in some sort of foul trouble at points in the game. Stuckey had a great game, but even he fouled out. Some Heat fan who actually saw the game said it was slow because of all the foul calls. Amir/Chauncey/Sheed had a mediocre-bad game, but so what? It's one game, and in the grand scheme of things, does this game even matter? No. He's learning, and the preseason is nothing more than an adjustment period for everyone, really. Give them time.

If the players are still having these same problems in December, then worry. It's October. Chill.
  6. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

aww...:grouphug:

That's not exactly what I meant.

More like I'm going to drop the Amir doom and gloom until then.

Unfortunately I really....really don't like how it's looking right now on that front.
  7. roscoe36

I heard Lee is looking for a co-pilot on the Kwame Brown (Get out of Detroit) Express.
  8. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I'm still in disbelief that he is willing to forgive MC for all of the indubitably evil acts he committed as a player.
  9. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

You got all this from a pre-season game that wasn't even on TV and a comment made by Curry?! Can we at least wait to label him a bust/Darko 2.0 until after he's at least played a few regular season games?

Also Joe D has made the same comments about Amir, and didn't he pretty much force RC to play Prince over Curry?
  10. max

max All-Star

You have to figure that what else did Curry have to say? Maybe he was just trying to find something positive to say about the kid.

2 years ago Amir made his pre-season debut under Flip's regime and shot 80% from the field. For the following 2 years he mainly got nothing but complaints and everyone telling him what he could not do.
  11. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

I'm concerned about Amir. In Act I, he got only 18 minutes with 5 fouls. This is his history. Glad to see that MC gave him a chance. It's his 4th season. He needs to show he belongs with the bigs. He needs to show it now. I'm not ready to hang a dark cloud over his head. It's only one game.
  12. roscoe36

We can't aspire to understand his genius, only to bask in the glory of his excellence.
  13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Hey Walker, maybe watching Sheed and Dyess flit around the paint like it was the abyss of hell, has clouded your memory of how a dyed in the wool caveman plays in the paint. So what if his elbow should accidentally fly up under some guys jaw while he's trying to clean the glass.
    ...So what if he sees a 260lber coming for a spot he wants to and they collide and the opposing player gets the worst of it and the candy azz ref flags our guy.
    ...can you remember Mahorn, Laimbeer ? How about Malone and the kidneys guy from the Heat.
    ...WOW, it was only yesterday Amir was in the Dleague putting up 20 and 8 so now they try and change his stripes to a banger.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If Amir's goal was to go in the game and not commit any fouls, then I'm sure he could do that.

He's trying to make hustle plays. Right now, we don't have a single big man who can accomplish that without fouling. At least he's trying. The only way he'll figure out the balancing act is by playing.

By starting him MC is surely not saying that he's better than Dyess or Maxiell. He's trying to optimize our 1st and 2nd units overall. With all of the scorers in the starting lineup, it takes shots away from Dyess and Maxiell if you put them in there. Amir just picks up the scraps, so no redundancy.
  15. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

Guys, settle down.

There is such a thing as adjusting. First preseason game remember? Let's give it a shot before we say the sky is really falling.

I mean, how bad can we do really with Amir there? Worst that could happen, he fouls out early, we know he's a bust, use him as a bench guy. Ultimately, it's a plus really if we find out what he can really do -- if he can hack it or not.

JMax is not really starting material, IMO. Not that he cannot contribute as a starter but he is of more use coming off the bench, but playing more minutes.

I really don't want to see the same 5 again with Dyess there because 1) it would really be a bummer to fans who want to see something new with the lineup, 2) it would basically turn us back into that jump shooting team again.

Kwame Brown is still Kwame Brown, he may be useful to bang around guys and defend but offense-wise, not really there.

So it's Amir's by default as of the moment. Let's just see how it turns out. At least, we fans have something to harp about.
  16. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

It will take a few games for Amir to settle into a roll. He will hopefully find a niche with the starters and will make everyone else more productive. This will be his first year with a real chance to play through his mistakes. His previous years have been like playing in college; off the bench. He has never been thrown in the ocean to see if he can swim. This will be his time to shine. Let's see what he can do in 30 games and then make an INFORMED and INTELLIGENT decision.
  17. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I totally agree with you on this one KGreg. Curry was not happy with our veteran Guard (CB) 6 turnovers.
  18. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

From what I can remember this summer, lee is fully supportive of Giant Turd.

His whipping boys this year are (continue to be):
    1. Walt Herrmann
    1a. Antonio McDyess

...yet he has undying support for the 2nd coming of Binary Man - Amir Johnson.

(I expect to soon read a couple of 357 paragraphs about how we DARE to compare MC to AJ. as players. - How a statistical argument for one doesn't apply to the other. This ought to be good!)
  19. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah...I thought Lee had predicted GT would make quite a splash this year.
  20. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

:falloff::falloff::falloff: