At Miami. Nov 1 8pm

Discussion in 'November 2007' started by max, Oct 29, 2007.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

No need to point out the total domination by Tay and CB, so I'll just provide a few random observations:

Maxiell looks much quicker this year. The weight loss was a great idea. Also, his free throw form is better. He must have worked on it.

Sheed- There were a couple moves from the post that proved that he can get an easy shot if he feels like it. Good job on D and rebounding.

Hayes is going to be a consistent scorer. It's obvious. He doesn't shy away from the action after a bad start. And the rest of his game? 5 rebounds and 4 steals. The entire Heat team had 4 steals!!! Jarvis is an athlete.

Weak game for Afflalo, but it was his first NBA game, so it is totally excusable.

Murray, not a great game, but he was tied for 3rd on the boards behind guys who got a lot more minutes than him. 2 assists, no turnovers, and he and Hayes led the +/-.

Alflalo and Dyess were last in that category at -9 and -8.

We led the Heat in almost every category (rebounds, steals, assists, free throws).

Nice start.
  2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    What I did like about Pistons is them going inside and they looked like they cared. I only hope they can keep doing it throughout the season. Tay got some free chili and J-Max should've had more had he not missed a couple of dunks. Sheed's head was definitely in the game. Also, once Hayes gets the plays down he should knock down more shots. All-in-all a good win, not great but good.
  3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

A few final observations..the disturbing -9 stat for McDyess. Wonder if he will he will be able to stop Howard or Lewis tomorrow defensively? He took six shots and most appear to have been the of the catch and shoot variety. I know that is his game, but as he starts to age, he needs to play closer to the hoop and post up more.

The reunion of the players that led Orlando to the 1995 NBA finals, Penny and Shaq produced a same type of wimper they did then when they were swept by the Rockets back then...:sweep:

Hayes missed a few early shots, but hit two from downtown. The stat that stands out are the four steals. Don't know if it was because he was playing a bunch of scrubs, but if this is a regular part of his game that we were unaware of then we can start chanting Delfino who? right now:whoo::rockon:

Billups played his usual solid game, (except for the miscalculated 3 balls) just hope the absense of Stuckey does not keep those minutes up at 39>>.I realized that Rip was out and Alf had a couple of early fouls, but geez Flip... :rolleyes:
  4. Taco John

Taco John First Round Draft Pick

There's not much to take from this game long term. The Pistons started slow against a bad team, and eventually took control except for a long chunk of the third. After that, they pretty much had the game locked up.

Tayshaun was able to have a career game like that because Miami didn't give him a challenge matchup to defend. Tay is good enough to be a great offensive player or a great defensive player. I don't know if he's good enough to lock down the Kobes and Lebrons of the world and still contribute a significant amount of offense.

I'm not going to worry about minutes when a starter and the 6th man are out. I hate to say it, but Flip sort of gets a free pass until Stuckey gets back, although Maxiell better get consistent minutes, Spellcheck better play pretty much every game, and Amir needs to get a little run as well. But that doesn't add up to a significant reduction in starters minutes yet.

Without 2 of the top 6, the Pistons got a convincing victory. Nothing more you can ask for, good work guys.
  5. max

max All-Star

I enjoyed that game. Nice classic Easter Conf type of defensive game to start the season. After that one Orlando should seem fairly easy to score on.

Tay was brilliant. Totally taking advantage of whatever matchup he had out there. Setting a career high in points and tying his career high in rebounds.

Front court? I liked how both Maxiel and Mohamed were unaffected by Zo. Zo swats away their shots and they were both back in there challenging him. Thats the way to play against a shot blocker. Also great rebounding. Non-factor type of night by Dyess. Nazir seems to have found his niche comming off the bench and Dyess looked just as uncomfortable out there as a starter. Not sure what to do about that.

Afflalo made a lot of mistakes out there. Misques, not getting back on D, not closing out the shooter. Rough start for him. I am sure Riley focused part of his game plan on taking advantage of the rookie so probably made it a bit more tougher on him.

Good win to start the season.
  6. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I really hope so- no one of us wants CB, Tay and Sheed to play that much as last night.
  7. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

As Lee stated, I think we need to give Flip credit for going with the Sheed - J Max front court for the entire 4th quarter. Its good to see that he recognizes a bad rotation (Dyes - Nazr combo) and goes with the best unit to end the game rather than whoever started. I was pissed when they gave Dyess that big extension and I have not wavered on that opinion form this game. Out there with Sheed Dyess looks completely lost and can't find his role / spacing. With Sheed you need the other big guy to stay down low and just get hustle points and such to make the offense work. Dyess needs the ball too much. The good thing is we haver those types of guys in AJ and Max, just a matter of Flip changing this. Hopefully, there isn't any pressure to keep this starting lineup intact.
  8. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yep, and...

CB actually ran down the floor, not like he just wanted to get to the other side, but with purpose. The Pistons PUSHED the ball. Holy <insert expletive of your choice>!! And they got easy baskets because of it. Take those away, and this is a tied game with two minutes left and the score in the high 70s.

And Tay played the point. And did it well. We've only been asking for that for about ten years (or however how he's been in the league).

A bit ugly at times, but the team showed some good stuff out there.
  9. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

They shot horribly. Period.

Probably under 30% when you take away the dunks.

Pathetic offense against a lottery team, won't get it done over 82 games.

Having Rip back will help a lot, but last night both teams stunk, we just stunk less.

:hoops:
  10. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I think it was largely a function of Miami's dreadful perimeter game sans Wade. They had long stretches where they could barely generate any decent looks, and whenever they managed to get one they would miss.
  11. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

good game plan - eliminate shaq and make everyone else beat us. dice still looks horrible (how many wide open passes are you not going to expect and how many balls are going to bounce off you??), but good job flip staying with sheed/jmax in the 4th. it was funny seeing shaq guard max on offense, and realizing just how massive shaq really is.

afflalo looked already, although made a few rookie mistakes, like not closing out on the shooter (the result of a double-team which the pistons won't use much of anyway), but when he played man-to-man defense he was solid. his shot looks fine too. flip murray and nazr did their jobs adequately, nothing special, but didn't hurt us.

hayes was fantastic in this game. i don't mine the 3-9 shooting...he made a couple timely 3s, played very good defense, and got a couple steals from shaq as he tried to go into the lane. he and tay also sucked in one-handed rebounds that reminded me a little of ben. i have a feeling hayes will also be backing up rip vs. afflalo/murray, which is fine with me. also, most of his missed shots were when he was forcing it, shooting on the run, etc., basically dumb shots. once he settled down he was fine.

anyway, congrats tay, congrats rip on the baby boy, and congrats pistons on the W.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

At this stage, if Dyess is going to play poorly, he may as well do it with the starters in the first half. At least he won't drag down our new players and make Flip doubt them.

As long as he doesn't play in crunch time when he's having a tough night, then I think it's a good way to use him.

He will have plenty of good nights too. Maybe not with consistency until the 2nd half of the season.
  13. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    It's most likely going to take some time for Dyess to get into the top playing shape, I just hope it happens sooner than later. He'll contribute, always does.
  14. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

i could care less what we shoot aslong as we win, remember detroit basketball is about winning and not putting up pretty numbers... how many times did we win quarters 12-10 and the like in 04.

we just have to make sure we play 1 point better then the other team, and there is going to be alot of ugly this year with the young kids.
  15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Maybe the best post on the game and season thus far. Who could ask for anything more, be 1pt better than the opposition while we transition new players into the mix. KUDOS
  16. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I hear you, however, this is not `04 and we don`t have the same players who played that ugly, winning basketball.

Our current Piston team plays a different brand of ugly ball, not always resulting in wins!!
  17. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

oh those days for the pistons and the nba as a whole are long gone, with player changes and rule changes those type of scores probably won't happen. what i was trying to say is that it might not be pretty day in and day out, but as long as there giving a good effort and are winning along the way i don't care how ugly it looks. I can see us making alot of rookie mistakes (two stepping out on the side line in the first quarter tonight for example) but i can live with that.
  18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Review of Miami game.

The most glaring mistake I made in my report after the game was saying Davis scored a lot of his points with Murray in the game. Not true. Mind you, I made that statement knowing that Davis scored very little with Afflalo guarding him. But anyway, the only time Davis heated up was against a backcourt of Billups and Tay.

Murray was part of a 22-6 run for us in the first half, and part of a 12-0 run in the 2nd half that put us in control of the game. Murray did not come out of the game until about 7 minutes left in the game with us up 12. We played our best defense while Murray was in the game, and Murray himself played just fine on D.

Some people think that Afflalo failed to close out one time on Davis. This is not true either. What happened is we sent 4 guys down around Shaq, a Miami player screened off Afflalo down there while Shaq passed the ball out to Davis.That play was just part of our strategy of not letting Shaq beat us. The strategy worked very well with the Pistons continually scrambling to cover open shooters from the double teaming of Shaq. Just can't cover everything every time. The most scoring Davis did do with Afflalo in the game was on a pair of fast breaks, neither of which involved Afflalo in anyway.
  19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It takes a big man to own up to his mistakes and correct them. Thanks lee. I haven't been heavily scrutinizing the games as much, relying on a quick second re-watching.

What I am liking is that everyone seems very aggressive with their strengths, except McDyess who always seems a little tentative at times.

This is shaping up early to be a very good squad. A lot of energy and determination. And I think the minutes in the second game of the back to back were handled super responsibly.
  20. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

lee, i get what you're saying, but i don't think that's what the announcer meant. he meant that afflalo should've ran hard at davis to at least make him put the ball on the floor and not get that open look. now yes, that would mean he'd have to overrun davis and wouldn't be able to challenge davis's next shot, but that next shot probably wouldn't have been a wide open 3...it'd just be a wide open 2...or with putting the ball on the floor he'd have to make a decision which might be not shooting it.

if that made any sense lol