At Miami March 2nd, 8:00 PM

Discussion in 'March 2007' started by Dlev59, Feb 24, 2007.

1. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

I don't mind this loss. Chauncey was awful. No Sheed (huge against Shaq because it lets him roam the paint against Dale/Nazr instead of play the perimeter against "Chris McWallace"). Shaq played his best game in quite some time. Antoine played out of his mind. Yet we still had a good chance in the end. I can live with it, even without Wade.

2. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

why thank you sir!

3. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Man, oh man. Would I have loved to have been in chat for this one. Beat like bad ass kid tonight then playing just hard enough to look like you want to win....way to go guys.

You know the Pistons are in trouble when......

#8) Fans are finding away to be "OK" with losses to a Wade-less MIA team that is threatening to NOT make the playoffs and when down by 3 on the road, coach sonar calls a play that delivers an airball 3 from Webber.

Wait...did I just type a 3 from Webber? A 3 FROM WEBBER??

A FREAKIN 3 FROM WEBBER???:gettinghanged:

There is no argument this side of the instant and simultaneous deaths of Billups, Hamilton, and Prince that makes that a viable strategy. That easily tops the 3 when down one at home...new Low today.

4. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Tay wasn't open for that last three. But pass to the cutting CB?
    Webbs eye still hasn't opened all the way.
    I still say we get our confidence shooting from deep. Let it rain. Then go inside.

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm pretty sure the play wasn't designed for Webber. He sort of screwed up the pass to Billups and then he just decided to take it. He probably figured he had a better chance of making it than Billups tonight. There was a lot of time on the clock though, so they should have taken their time and worked it a bit more.

I was pretty mellow going into this game with Wade and Sheed out. I just didn't feel like it meant much. But after listening to those jack-asses babbling on for the first half on ESPN about how great this sub 500 Miami team is, I wanted to win it more than any other this year just to shut them up.

My lingering worry/paranoia this year is just that Webber won't be his effective self against Playoff caliber teams with paint protecting shot blockers and our offense will become jumper happy. Tonight, it looked like our guards were intimidated by Shaq and Mourning.

I've never really seen a coach make it his primary objective in a game to get Shaq in foul trouble. It may be worth it to develop a special scheme early in games to draw as much contact as possible from him. That is probably the only way to truly stop him. Just think if this guy could shoot 75% free throws.

6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I'll have to side with Hog & FP22 on this one... we don't want to shoot the wad too soon... let them feel like killers for a spell.
    No doubt the Heat are better with Wade... however they still have to go thru the Palace.
    Chauncey will not play this poorly again.
    It's similar to losing to the Wizz... the hunger needs to start around April with these contenders.
    We all knew Shaq would dominate... just like when Ben was guarding him... the difference was that Ben would force more turnovers.
    Gotta keep some of the strategies in the hip pocket for later.

Anyone thinking the East is a cakewalk is dillusional.

7. max

max All-Star

Happy B-day low. As a present I would like to present a cure for one-lositess. Its when you take a typical seasonal road game loss ( by 2 points ) to a hot team and use it as a general analysis of the entire season. The cure - forget about it and move on.

We will get them the next time. For now, let them have their victory as this game meant so much to Pat Riley. Let them think they can beat us and become overconfident.

Another game tonight.

8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I dunno. He looked like the same impotent PG we saw in the ECF last season.

9. Sanddunes

Sanddunes First Round Draft Pick

Shaq-led Heat wins after blowing big lead - 03/03/2007 - MiamiHerald.com

O'Neal finished with a season-high 31 points, 15 rebounds and six assists in 36 minutes. Antoine Walker added 22 off the bench.
    ''Word is, they think I'm an old man,'' said O'Neal, 35, who was surprised that the Pistons did not double-team him. ``Pat [Riley] told me this morning to go out and get 30 points. I take it personal when people don't double me. It's against my religion to not double me.''
    O'Neal was so aggressive at one point that he played a role in 31 consecutive points scored by the Heat during a stretch from early in the second quarter to late in the third.

10. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

He'll be an old man if he had to do a 7game series like this.

11. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I agree with Shaq. Throw a double team at him from time to time, I would take my chances with Fatoine shooting 3`s, or J-Will rather than D-Wade receiving that pass out of the double team.

Looks like the refs are going to let Shaq get away with the same foolishness he is accustomed to. I still can`t get over how a 220 pound Tay can knock over a 350 pound Shaq, the ref should be fined for that call.

12. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

And shouldn't there be some requirements about painting in the full charge/block circle? Where Shaw was standing the ref has to make a judgement call about where his feet are based on where the circle would be if it were extended.

13. roscoe36

@dba - With the Miami Heat, the league likes to make it all judgement calls. ;)

Had some time to eat a nice breakfast and enjoy a coffee before rehashing last night.

Without Sheed to play the pick and pop with Billups, Chauncey gets negated by the physicality of the Heat. Let's face it, CBill is a soft finisher and if people get up in his face, he struggles to see the floor and make decisions.

With Sheed, CB can work the defender and has a passing option.

I was unimpressed with the adjustments, the distribution of minutes and the passion of the Pistons. Riley was playing mind games calling this a big one for the Heat. Someone forgot to fax that memo to the Pistons.

Really impressive outing by McDyess. But he's like a cursed man. He has some big games, but if it comes down to him to take the winning shot or make the winning putback, he chokes. It's like his best efforts in big games consistently get wasted. Just my perception.

1/16 on 3s? CBill is 11 for his last 47 from the arc. That's 24%. Someone needs to tell him to reel it in. He ain't feeling it in 8 of his last 12 games.

14. roscoe36

The problem is, no one was mad that I could see walking off the floor except Tay and Dice. Billups was yukking it up about something with his teammates not even 2 minutes after the buzzer.

That whole "Smooth" persona is so annoying. You can be an overconfident jerk when you are Michael Jordan or Shaquille O'Neal, but even those guys along with players like Kobe and KG bring monster efforts when they are feeling the anger and competitive desire to dominate. For CBill, it better come smooth and easy, or he just won't get going. There are days when I hope we don't re-sign him, simply because he annoys me so often. It's not rational, but seeing the postgames hugs and non-chalant attitudes puts me in irrational moods.

I noticed our perimeter defense was also better last year but I think it is coming at the expense of our paint defense. Guys are getting up on shooters and forcing shooters to drive which puts a tremendous amount of pressure on our frontcourt to help close and rotate. With the length of guys like Delfino, Prince and Hamilton we should be daring the Heat to beat us from the outside.

Ball denial. That's coaching. Webber, Davis and Mohammed are not going to run O'Neal ragged on the break. You have to pressure him and make them play on one side of the court. When you play Shaq one on one, and force him baseline, he will eat you up. Make him spin to the lane where help can come and provide back up on the boards.

15. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Had watched the replayed game on local sport channel, what a poor game by both sides where they looked like two slowest teams around the league and I reckoned the total years of both starting 5 were the most senior around the league too. A fan here said that we gotta run Shaq to die at the game, I agreed, but the Pistons was dying too LOL.
    The coming West trip will tell what are the Pistons made of, not only the players, coach team as well.

16. roscoe36

One more thing about playing O'Neal into the lane. You're forcing him to take short jump hooks across his body. With his lack of shooting touch, it's really putting him in a position to shoot 50% or less.

How you play Shaq defensively is a lot more important than the numbers he puts up. Beating him is about getting him in foul trouble and wearing him down. Making him fight for position, forcing him to be a passer, and keeping bodies between him and the hoop at all times.

Larry could play Shaq straight up because there was a commitment to help defense. Putting Davis, Mohammed and Webber on an island is a joke.

17. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Its shaq sound bites like those that irk me and sport writers love to hear. I saw one or two double teams on him and it was in the second half right around the time we took the lead. The Pistons let him get off because we had no one who had the ballz to take it to rim and get him in foul trouble. The refs are not going to call any offensive fouls on him regardless of how many times he elbows and pushes his way until to basket. You have to attack him early and force a couple defensive fouls and send him to the bench. Wake up Flip and tell somebody to attack. However if you rely on the outside jumper and they are not falling, you fall right into the Heat's hands. (1-16 from beyond the arc):doh: :brick:
    The same thing happen to the Wizards on Wednesday night.

In essense the Heat scored 58 of their 85 points in the paint. When the Pistons give up more than 50 points in the paint, then our interior defense is not doing it's job and it probably means a L. On the other end the perimeter defense was OK with the exception of letting Walker get off.

Hopefully this just gives the heat false hope that they can indeed beat us, but hopefully it doesn't convince wade to come back to secure it.:sssh:

18. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

The heat does a good job of containing Billups off that screen roll that starts a lot of the Pistons plays. I hope we are able to adjust to that.

19. detteam

detteam All-Star

I was thinkin the same thing last night. I've seen it a number of times...Shaq gets pretty much neutralized for the game when he picks up a few quick fouls in the 1st. Flip Jr plays with some reckless abandon...Sr should have put him in to drive on Shaq...he shoots a decent 70% from the line.

You're right about the non-calls Shaq gets away with...those are mostly while bumping the big men underneath. But that big ole body can't adjust fast enough to draw many charges. His downfall is when he has someone running at him. Yeah...he's intimidating, but you have to ATTACK his weakness. Right-on about the ballz. Sr doesn't have enough brains or ballz to get creative when the poop hits the fan.

20. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Now LB would have recognized Shaq's weakness as he did in the 04 Laker C'ship series and the 05 Heat ECF series and sent somebody in there to make Shaq work enough to get in foul trouble, but so far Flip Sr hasn't mastered it in the games that counted.